• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your favorite things to write or develop?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Is it characters? Could it be the plot? What ARE your most favorite things when it comes to writing? Maybe it's the rush you get from a brand spanking new story or idea... whatever it is, I want to know! :3

For me, my favorite thing would be the story itself. I love the rush I get when creating. I just want to dive right into the story right away. It always excites me to know that I can write something people will want to read (even though most people don't). I also like making my characters disabled, usually the MC. I know this might sound twisted... but here me out first! I'm sure everyone is aware of the fact that I'm disabled myself. Well, I often like to make my MCs disabled because it makes things easier for me. I like that they most people can learn from their struggles and also about the condition they have. ^^ So yeah.

Now, it's your turn PCers. :D Tell me what your favorite things are about writing~

Last edited:

Vragon

To me it's 3 things I really like to write.

1: Characters and their interactions
I often imagine how these interactions happen in what you'd expect in a show. So it's kinda a fun little dabble for me.

2: World Building and Lore Building
If I haven't made it obvious with PMD #2 I really like making worlds and fill them with many things. I like creating nations, peeps, places, lore, history, etc.

3: Battle scenes
While I don't know if I'm the best at it, I do know I like making these scenes. This is similar to the imagery I see in shows, but I also get to be more flexible with this. Experimenting different ways to get from point A to point B if you will.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I love my character interactions, especially when it's a slice-of-life scene. One of my chapters ran longer than planned because I had all the characters just living without any giant monster fight and interacting with each other. I far prefer to write about three characters sharing a convenience store snack while watching a soccer practice than any of the "let's save the world" plot.

The craziest part about writing that is also my favorite is when I get to sit in a quiet room and talk to my muse. It's sounds crazy, but by doing that, I managed to plot out a twelve-chapter fic that I was stuck on. Sitting in a quiet room and being focused on my writing calms me down from the rest of my hectic life, and I feel really satisfied when the conversation's done. Having those talks is something that I look forward to.

Last edited:

FlaafyFTW

Researcher of Orange Lore
Years
I agree with a lot that has been said here. Personally, I don't often struggle with story ideas in general, its the GETTING THERE that I find really difficult to write so I love when I find a way to bridge that gap and to make my story flow (even though i'm by far my own harshest critic).

For those that have read my writing, I tend to use a lot of speech and so love the ways that I picture the different characters interacting in my mind when I type it all up. I think speech says quite a bit about a person so I do enjoy getting into a good conversation between characters.

Bay

Years
Like everyone else, character interactions is one of the things I love most when writing. Reason why I wanted to do Foul Play in the first place is to see how Nanu and Grimsley would interact and the scenes I've written with them together so far has been a blast.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Characters are a big thing for me, imo they're what drive good stories. I'd read something with great characters and terrible plot over something with a great plot and terrible characters any day.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
World and lore building are my number one. Other than that, I'd say that making as many bad things as bad as possible for my characters and forcing them to figure their shit out despite all the gunk is exhilarating even if it's not objectively good.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Fave to develop: characters and lore. LOOOOOORE!

Fave to write: cuddly, slice-of-lifey character interaction.

I'm admittedly a sucker for those things. Lore in particular, it took me to develop an interpretation of the Pok?verse more or less for my own purposes.

@Bay and @Vragon I'd love to hear more about how and why do you develop character interactions. Other than that I'd like to hear about the ones who like to develop the fights, it'd be a learning experience to see how you do it and why.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'd love to hear more about how and why do you develop character interactions.
I was another one that said that my favorite thing to develop was character interactions, and I can give you some sort of answer.

Watching my characters interact with one another is pretty darn fascinating. By placing two or more characters together and just having them talk to one another, I can learn so much about them that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Even something really small that I wouldn't have thought about. Like by putting character S with character T and having them need to find their own dinner, I learned that character S carries a pocket knife with her.

Or, with another scene, by having character T have dinner for the first time with characters Y and H, I found out that character T has some deep-seated problems with promises being broken. And that he actually does have a close relationship with character N, who tries her hardest to make that relationship decent.

As for how I develop character interactions? It's simple enough. I just figure out which characters the scene calls for, and just have them go for it. Whatever they say or do is something I don't know, so it's like I'm watching them and recording what they're doing. The only things that I know for sure are their personalities, and it's fascinating to see them all work off each other.

I also like just thinking about my characters. Just this morning, I was in work and got to thinking about characters T and D interacting with each other far in the future of the story because something random made me think about it.

I too am interested in how others develop battle scenes. Because I have two chapters coming up that are pretty much just battles, and I'm rather worried about that.

Back