The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Is Global Warming a Myth?

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old March 11th, 2016 (12:03 PM).
Ivysaur's Avatar
Ivysaur Ivysaur is offline
You found a heart!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Madrid
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Yet public schools and universities forbid students from using Wikipedia as a source for their essays, so it's better to use different sources.
No, no, you don't understand what I mean. I mean that, as a journalist with knowledge about British press, I can tell you that not a single word printed in the Daily Express has ever been true- except perhaps that time when they endorsed Hitler in the 30s, they certainly meant it. The Express is a local laughingstock, with a tendency to finding cures for dementia every three days, owned by a porn baron who plugs himself constantly, with no interest in objectivity (like every other tabloid) and whose writers haven't received a pay rise in almost a decade. When I say that the Wikipedia is a far more reliable source, I know very well that is not allowed in schools and universities; that should make you understand how credible the Express is.

In short: everything printed in the Express is an outright lie, or a PR advertisement, or a piece of political puffery that no serious newspaper would ever print. "Different sources" are okay unless your idea of "source" is the racist, rambling, paranoid drunkard at the pub; which is exactly what this thing is.

Incidentally, the only source you can use for scientific research is peer-reviewed scientific journals, not newspapers. Or whatever the Express is- I don't want to put it at the same level as the industry where I work.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #27    
Old March 11th, 2016 (2:32 PM).
Lunaris Adamantine's Avatar
Lunaris Adamantine Lunaris Adamantine is offline
Distinguished Bystander
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
The charts you're looking for can be found in Lisalomb's thread, which I have already linked for you to read
The graph you are showing is on such a massive scale that no one can see what's happened in recent years. And that's what we are talking about now. That chart is useless for what we are trying to find out.

As for that thread you linked? It's the same as what you are doing here. Trying to convince us with quotes alone. I need actual evidence. Something more along the lines of a change in recent global temperature, or rise of carbon dioxide, of the past 100 years or so.

But of course, they would have to be from a reliable source.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old May 22nd, 2018 (9:37 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Enpatsu Shakugan.
Enpatsu Shakugan's Avatar
Enpatsu Shakugan Enpatsu Shakugan is online now
The Unyielding Flame
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 1,472
All I know for sure is Al Gore is the biggest damn hypocrite of our generation and no one should take anything he says seriously, especially about environmental topics.

For the most part, almost every news I hear on global warming sounds like pure sensationalism to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old June 1st, 2018 (3:21 PM).
twocows's Avatar
twocows twocows is offline
Primary form of sustenance is cute images
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 4,231
I don't think it's a myth. I think that the core suggestion that some of our actions are causing some degree of undesirable climate change and maybe some other environmental problems is most likely correct.

However, I also think that the degree to which this is the case is being exaggerated and I think that people turning scientific consensus into a sort of dogma poisons the well and makes it harder for ordinary people to determine what is or isn't true about the topic.
__________________
8values
Political Simulator
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:42 PM).
Enpatsu Shakugan's Avatar
Enpatsu Shakugan Enpatsu Shakugan is online now
The Unyielding Flame
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
No, global warming is not a myth, and anyone who does think it's a myth is misguided and needs to be educated on the topic.
There's no proof against or for it, actually.

Don't criticize someone who differs in opinion as you as stupid simply because you feel they're wrong. That only makes you look stupid.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:39 PM).
Savashy's Avatar
Savashy Savashy is offline
headsplitter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2015
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
    There's no proof against or for it, actually.

    Don't criticize someone who differs in opinion as you as stupid simply because you feel they're wrong. That only makes you look stupid.
    the ice caps melting fam
    __________________
    vampire
    Reply With Quote
      #32    
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:56 PM).
    Vragon2.0's Avatar
    Vragon2.0 Vragon2.0 is offline
       
      Join Date: Mar 2018
      Posts: 78
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Savashy View Post
      the ice caps melting fam
      Cool, do you have anything else regarding it or perhaps it's rate of melting, besides your basic discovery channel documentary? Like, I'm willing to look at the stuff, but you'd have to show the rate is,
      1) Caused by the temperatures are a proper amount that can be attributed to global warming
      2) There is some icy temperatures being formed somewhere else and thus merely shifting weather or things. I dunno, it's just speculation.
      __________________

      “I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
      Reply With Quote
        #33    
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:30 PM).
      Savashy's Avatar
      Savashy Savashy is offline
      headsplitter
         
        Join Date: Oct 2015
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 34
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Vragon2.0 View Post
        Cool, do you have anything else regarding it or perhaps it's rate of melting, besides your basic discovery channel documentary? Like, I'm willing to look at the stuff, but you'd have to show the rate is,
        1) Caused by the temperatures are a proper amount that can be attributed to global warming
        2) There is some icy temperatures being formed somewhere else and thus merely shifting weather or things. I dunno, it's just speculation.
        it takes like 5 minutes to just look it up lmao.
        __________________
        vampire
        Reply With Quote
          #34    
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:04 PM).
        Kai Ai's Avatar
        Kai Ai Kai Ai is offline
        Wayfarer
           
          Join Date: Jul 2017
          Location: Scotland
          Nature: Brave
          Posts: 167
          Climate Change Information
          https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
          Reply With Quote
            #35    
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:49 PM).
          Joker's Avatar
          Joker Joker is online now
           
          Join Date: Jun 2013
          Location: Canada
          Age: 28
          Gender: Other
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 14,892
          I wouldn't want to risk it anyway. Big corporations should do more to help too.
          __________________

          Funken sprühn, die Schweißnaht glüht
          Ich bau mir einen Prototyp
          Reply With Quote
            #36    
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:17 AM).
          Vragon2.0's Avatar
          Vragon2.0 Vragon2.0 is offline
             
            Join Date: Mar 2018
            Posts: 78
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Savashy View Post
            it takes like 5 minutes to just look it up lmao.
            Dude this is a debate place, telling me to look it up, doesn't help your argument. You are the one making the assertion by countering with "Ice caps melting fam" so it's up to you to prove it, else why are you here save for a moment of "Nu-uh".


            Also,
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Kai Ai View Post
            snip snip
            thanks for supplying something. I'll look into it a little and around in regards to other things to be fair.
            __________________

            “I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
            Reply With Quote
              #37    
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:32 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Bidoof FTW.
            Bidoof FTW's Avatar
            Bidoof FTW Bidoof FTW is offline
            Bidoof is Pretty Rad
             
            Join Date: Nov 2013
            Location: Sinnoh
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 3,300
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
            For the most part, almost every news I hear on global warming sounds like pure sensationalism to me.
            I'm sure to some degree you're correct on this. The media as a whole is filled with sensationalism because it gets them views. However, there are some facts on the subject that might help you understand other than "gotdamn icecaps be turnin to liquid n ****. On my mama florida bouta sink".

            The following is a really big wall of text, but if there's one giant post you'd have to read in this thread I really hope it's mine because I am hoping to focus on spreading facts instead of telling you to "do research" or make attacks on your intellect.

            Climate change is a natural process. This is a fact. What people are worried about however, is the human effect on the natural climate change.

            It is a fact that human activities relating to industrialization such as the combustion (burning) of fossil fuels, clearing of forests for agriculture, and deforestation or land degradation result in an increase of carbon in the atmosphere, through different processes and different forms, albeit mostly carbon dioxide. Point here being: carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is increasing.

            Here is an image to show increasing atmospheric carbon levels:
            Spoiler:


            Ok so, we now know that carbon levels are increasing in our atmosphere, but isn't that a good thing? Carbon in the atmosphere traps infrared radiation (heat), which means we don't freeze to death on the daily. But like a lot of things in life, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Raising the global temperature by even a couple degrees Celsius can have really negative effects on the Earth (as we know it, the planet isn't going to implode or anything like that) because the Earth has a LOT of really really fragile ecosystems.

            So I think the most widely used example of this is the northern hemisphere, mainly the Polar regions (Arctic, Canada, and Alaska to name a few). Increasing temperatures impact this region for one main reason: ice. Ice is really important to the animals in the Arctic because it is essentially the land that they use to travel and hunt, if there is less of it to traverse on, then animals in this region will have less access to food, which results in a decrease in the population or migration of the species into regions with higher amounts of human habitation. Here is a really interesting page on the subject of polar bears that involves a bunch of easy to read information and is not the most boring piece of scientific journalism to ever exist, give it a read if you have the time. The melting of sea ice causes other problems too, and I will go into them in a second, but for now I'd like to move on to the next issue in the Polar regions. Other than Arctic sea ice, there is also the issue of permafrost. In certain regions in the north like Canada and Alaska, there is a thick layer of ice below the soil surface, which tends to stay frozen throughout the year. This is called permafrost and it is a key feature of this ecosystem as many plants and animals have evolved to live in a soil that is difficult to live in. Above permafrost is a layer of soil known as the "active layer", which melts and thaws annually depending on the seasons. When this layer melts it releases the carbon dioxide that plants have been storing while frozen. Permafrost is currently melting in these regions, which means that the active layer becomes deeper, which means plant roots can go deeper, which means more carbon dioxide is released yearly from the active layer thawing. Which results in a positive feedback loop of increasing global temperatures. Here is my source if you feel like reading it, I may have mentioned . Another issue is that people have actually SETTLED these areas, and melting of permafrost can have some really ****ty effects on structures in these regions, here are a couple fun pictures showcasing permafrost's effect on structures and nature:
            Spoiler:
            Sinking foundation on buildings


            Drunk trees


            Telephone poles


            Ok, so remember when I mentioned that sea ice and glaciers in polar regions melting can have consequences affecting other regions? This is the part where I elaborate. So the melting of these icy areas results in more liquid water, which has a higher temperature than ice, and as the water temperature increases, more ice melts and turns to water, which increases the water level and ultimately raises the temperature of the ocean. This might not seem important, but water temperature actually has a surprisingly large effect on coastal regions, most notable one being sending Europe into an ice age. Here is an article that discusses it in a lot more detail, this post has already taken way longer than I'd like to admit and I have other things I need to get done, the article does a good job of putting the information I find to be important in the first couple paragraphs, it's a quick read.

            Also, increasing surface temperatures can also have a dramatic effect on plant life and ocean animals, my ocean animal example will be the sea turtle, because everyone loves sea turtles, right? Temperature determines the gender of a sea turtle, as discussed here (again, quick read). And with the increasing temperatures of Earth sea turtles in some regions have a 99% chance of being born a female, and this is due to just the SLIGHTEST increase in Earth's temperature. What's the solution? Turtles have to migrate north, and they are migrating north in places like the US, it is seen that they are migrating further from Florida and moreso to places like the Carolinas, but what about plants? Plants can't just pick up their roots and walk away. As temperatures increase, any plants sensitive to temperature are very likely to be affected or just plain die out. They can't just spread their seeds north, so if the temperatures increase past the point where they can survive then they're screwed, and we may lose a lot of really beautiful and important plant species because of this increase in temperature.

            My last point before switching to doing things that I've been procrastinating, rising sea levels actually are displacing TONS of people, and may wipe out entire countries. The small islands in the Pacific are incredibly vulnerable and we have already seen islands be completely evacuated and submerged by the rising ocean. A really large example of this is the capital city of Indonesia, Jakarta. Jakarta is home to 9.6 MILLION people (2010) and if it really does get submerge to the point where people need to evacuate, that's such a high amount of refugees that nearby countries may have to reform their immigration policies just to allow people to exit the country without risk. Here is one of my sources and below are some images showing the changes:
            Spoiler:



            So, although climate change is definitely a natural process, humans are accelerating it at a rate which is pretty alarming because it affects life all over the globe, and even if it might not be stoppable, I think that we should do the best we can to slow its effects or try to reverse it in any way we can because the Earth is going to be a dramatically different place for the next couple generations of humans, and not in a good way. We have to focus on changing our selfish ways of life now so that we can secure happiness and healthiness for our kids, grandkids, and for generations to come.

            EDIT: needed to fix one of my images, sorry for the double quote.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
            Reply

            Quick Reply

            Join the conversation!

            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

            Create a PokéCommunity Account

            Sponsored Links
            Thread Tools

            Posting Rules
            You may not post new threads
            You may not post replies
            You may not post attachments
            You may not edit your posts

            BB code is On
            Smilies are On
            [IMG] code is On
            HTML code is Off
            Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

            Forum Jump


            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:59 AM.