• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics: Playable Character Community Project

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Overview

Two ideas have always excited me; the first is the ability to customise the character you play as, and the second is to see other series cross over into my favourite games.

With the pret dissassemblies getting closer to being complete and the restrictions of binary hacking being lifted I felt it was necessary to provide compatible resources.

So to that end I commissioned an artist, the incredible iametrine, to create an overworld base with all the necessary frames for a playable character in Gen IV style; along with a number of characters to provide a good starting point for this project.

There are three goals of this project:
  1. Provide accurate overworlds for every character in the generation III games.
  2. Provide sprites for every playable character in the main series.
  3. Provide complete sets of playable characters and NPCs for non-pokemon series

Once goal #1 is complete I will provide a base using pokeemerald, with all the overworlds added.

Base:

The base has all the necessary frames for walking, running, cycling, fishing, watering, field move and surfing.

There are no acro bike frames as that would add another 27 frames per character.
There are no diving frames as I plan to handle that dynamically when entering an underwater map by tinting the palette in-game.

nsiUIxm.png

kfruxab.png

COZCuZX.png

ZBKGVpj.png

VrKjJCC.png

1SdHvRn.png
or
JtENCKu.png

HUqfjrd.png

The older/taller characters are slightly larger (by 1 pixel)
nTrXy2b.png

Asymmetric overworlds:
smWnKx0.png

8cgziJb.png
(+ 1)

Note that Ethan and Lucas use the first field move pose, and Lyra and Dawn use the 2nd.

Complete characters

Pok�mon
Spoiler:

Digimon
Spoiler:

Yu-Gi-Oh!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Super Mario
Spoiler:

NPCs

Dragon Ball
Spoiler:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Spoiler:

Runescape
Spoiler:

Mass Effect
Spoiler:

God of War
Spoiler:

Rick and Morty
Spoiler:

Stephen King's I.T
Spoiler:

Incomplete

Pok�mon
Spoiler:

Contributing
To make graphics compatible with the pret projects, the spritesheets need to be saved as a .png file, with a bit depth of 4 allowing for a maximum of 16 colours.

To format a sheet using GraphicsGale:
Ensure the background colour is in the first palette index as that will become transparent in-game.
All Frames > Color Depth and select 4bpp.
Save As, and make sure "With Alpha Channel" is unselected.

For playable characters the entire set needs to use the same palette so I suggest combining the poses into one sheet, format it using GraphicsGale or similar and then split it up into:
Walk+Run
Bike
Fishing
Watering
Field move
Surfing.

Full set with field move 1.
ygMSLyM.png

Full set with field move 2.
gq1ampD.png

The background colour can be anything but I would like to implement a system where each background colour is unique to the artist that created the sprite, just as a quick way of seeing who made what.

Any spritesheet posted in the complete section of this post should be usable with no edits necessary.

The base is there as a guideline but it is just that, and you don't need to use the sprites from the incomplete section if you want to make your own.

For anyone wanting to add their own characters using the disassemblies I've written this tutorial: https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald/wiki/Adding-new-overworlds though it should be noted that pokeemerald is around 67% decompiled at the time of writing this so it is still limited in what can be done and it is not in a user friendly state.

And that's it. I hope this resource is of use to people and I'm excited to see what people make with it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
Reserved for future use, in case there is a limit on the number of characters allowed per post.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
thats cool ,I have the idea of multi Hero, but don't know how, sad thing is my OW is all Gen 3 style :

Good work with the sprites, this project is focusing on gen IV style but there are a few gen III style resources around that could benefit from your work. Though feel free to post more trainer sprites as one of the project goals is to have as many complete playable characters as possible.

Here are some sprites from iametrine:

Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender
QublJ04.png

sWNutOZ.png

wgt6PWh.png

5AuPlzh.png

GLwvgZg.png

2KQUziv.png

Princess Peach from Super Mario
ZSFZsn4.png

Zvxvopb.png

9sDkP1l.png

wexdtZr.png

yyEJbch.png

jrTD0LQ.png

Tai Kamiya from Digimon
7J2M5ZD.png

4jOSqvL.png

Zi9OPFJ.png

3R6BBds.png

fzxJIlr.png

bQ9uEIs.png

Yugi Moto from Yu-gi-oh!
8aeopYG.png

sz0gwk2.png

1Iy4oNa.png

DxaqYVr.png

n8afXSS.png

y9wjsrf.png

Goku from Dragon Ball
KEyV3EF.png

Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
bb9pJxg.png

Guthix from Runescape
Yiy73iG.png

Commander Shepard (F) from Mass Effect
TAVw3Mz.png

Kratos from God of War
tYndYWm.png

Pennywise from Stephen King's I.T. (1990)
woSITfP.png

Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty
5AWZkJX.png

Happy new year to everyone!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
Good work with the sprites, this project is focusing on gen IV style but there are a few gen III style resources around that could benefit from your work. Though feel free to post more trainer sprites as one of the project goals is to have as many complete playable characters as possible.

Here are some sprites from iametrine:

Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender
QublJ04.png

sWNutOZ.png

wgt6PWh.png

5AuPlzh.png

GLwvgZg.png

2KQUziv.png

Princess Peach from Super Mario
ZSFZsn4.png

Zvxvopb.png

9sDkP1l.png

wexdtZr.png

yyEJbch.png

jrTD0LQ.png

Tai Kamiya from Digimon
7J2M5ZD.png

4jOSqvL.png

Zi9OPFJ.png

3R6BBds.png

fzxJIlr.png

bQ9uEIs.png

Yugi Moto from Yu-gi-oh!
8aeopYG.png

sz0gwk2.png

1Iy4oNa.png

DxaqYVr.png

n8afXSS.png

y9wjsrf.png

Goku from Dragon Ball
KEyV3EF.png

Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
bb9pJxg.png

Guthix from Runescape
Yiy73iG.png

Commander Shepard (F) from Mass Effect
TAVw3Mz.png

Kratos from God of War
tYndYWm.png

Pennywise from Stephen King's I.T. (1990)
woSITfP.png

Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty
5AWZkJX.png

Happy new year to everyone!

I have research your video, are you mix all OW palette 【in water】 to same 1 palette and remove others 3 OW【 in water palette】 to solve the palette over amount on the screen problem?

sorry for my bad english.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
I have research your video, are you mix all OW palette 【in water】 to same 1 palette and remove others 3 OW【 in water palette】 to solve the palette over amount on the screen problem?

sorry for my bad english.

No, the water palette is handled dynamically so you don't need to create a reflection palette for every new character. That does mean that that if you have 5 characters with different palettes being reflected at the same time then that will take up 10 palette slots.

As a result there is less graphical work to do when inserting new overworlds.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
No, the water palette is handled dynamically so you don't need to create a reflection palette for every new character. That does mean that that if you have 5 characters with different palettes being reflected at the same time then that will take up 10 palette slots.

As a result there is less graphical work to do when inserting new overworlds.

so I just get that idea, I mix Emerald palette in NSE 02, 07,08 and 09 palette to mix together with 1 palette water reflection color and change all OW offset to reading the only 1 water reflection palette, then we can remove the others 3 palette in reading palette :
dcwn3zc-e7b36e07-f47a-4776-9f5d-fcde8407088f.png

Aside that My current project is making Ash and Serene as Hero and heroin in
【Hyper Emerald lll - 809】 -
dcrhn1r-3774b1eb-6d68-4a2c-a7df-d252c04f1e86.png

file

qq20180618223000_by_destvol_dcfhk4e-fullview.jpg

dcfhk41-778c536f-5def-4a95-9ac4-a88d4ca954cc.png

dcfhk3l-b25556ea-0ced-4a12-ae9b-da686c70ec17.jpg

dcfhk2x-7eb44f57-b946-4593-a1d8-380e79dc82c6.png

qq20180222233022_by_destvol_dcfhk1n-fullview.jpg

dcfhk1z-4cf84918-9bda-495e-85ab-3d1d2004b828.png

dcfhk18-fdf5b5c3-06e8-4419-b417-4e7234331755.jpg

I really interesting of your system of changing character! Our rom have complete Mega evo, Primal reverse , Z-move system (All Z move attack effect & Animation also done) ,1200 slot of pokemon , current using 1100 include something our interesting pokemon like Armor Mewtwo :
dcwn4pg-c02a36b7-72c0-4de1-b922-5315dc4c13f5.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
seen you are also doing Emerald hack, I also share the pokemon OW out for Every Emerald User:
Emerald NSE 03 color Pokemon OW :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nr3mdyghyhr61du/Emerald_03_color.rar/file
Emerald NSE 05 color Pokemon OW :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cq0igiueu0z2y4z/Emerald_05_color.rar/file
Emerald NSE 06 color Pokemon OW :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/31mieomvz4pm91f/Emerald_06_color.rar/file
1tq6ciaaplzu9twzg.jpg

Emerald NSE 12 color Pokemon OW for legendary Pokemon super palette :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ep8exhj196ax20/Emerald_Super_palette_12.rar/file

and here is all Legendary Pokemon OW of my collection, the Palette is already set for Emerald:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ask4itsq8orcs89/ALL_God_OW.rar/file

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
so I just get that idea, I mix Emerald palette in NSE 02, 07,08 and 09 palette to mix together with 1 palette water reflection color and change all OW offset to reading the only 1 water reflection palette, then we can remove the others 3 palette in reading palette :

The issue with that is that you then need to create a reflection for each new character you insert which makes more graphical work.

Please remember this is a resource thread for gen IV style overworlds and trainer sprites, compatible with the pret decompilation projects. It is not a place to advertise any hack you are working or to post screenshots that are unrelated to this project.

Years
  • Age 49
  • Seen Sep 3, 2020
Hello Desvol! I wanna use your legendary Pokemon ow sprites in my hack, may i use them? And will these work in Fire Red? Cuz I hacking Fire Red

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
Hello Desvol! I wanna use your legendary Pokemon ow sprites in my hack, may i use them? And will these work in Fire Red? Cuz I hacking Fire Red
sure you can, but the important thing is the palette, if you can make those OW match your rom palette then can work, if you using my palette you have to make sure it won't effect your rom other Overworld.

Back