• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Rebalanced Pokemon suggestions, type changes, and type matchup changes?

Years
Been working on an Essentials fangame that makes all Pokemon capturable from Gen 1-8 AND gives them unique niches, rebalancing them to turn awful Pokemon into decent ones you'd love to have on your team.

But does anyone here have any rebalance suggestions?

For example, turning Cacturne into a Grass/Ghost revenge-killer, making the Fire and Electric types super-effective on Ghost, even nerfing a particularly overpowered Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Jun 18, 2023
What about adding a Sound type? It could balance Fairy type if it was Supereffective and could make a few Pokemon more interesting type combos e.g. Jigglypuff line - Sound/Fairy. I know adding a new type isn't the easiest thing to do because you need to add sound type buttons, moves and Arceus and Silvally forms but it could help to balance out some Pokemon.

Years
I'm not sure where the right place is for this, but can I get feedback on my type effectiveness matchups?

# See the documentation on the wiki to learn how to edit this file.
#-------------------------------
[0]
Name = Normal
InternalName = NORMAL
Immunities = GHOST
[1]
Name = Fighting
InternalName = FIGHTING
Weaknesses = FLYING,PSYCHIC,ELECTRIC
Resistances = ROCK,BUG,DARK,ICE,STEEL,FIGHTING,FAIRY
[2]
Name = Flying
InternalName = FLYING
Weaknesses = ROCK,ELECTRIC,ICE,STEEL
Resistances = FIGHTING,BUG,GRASS
Immunities = GROUND
[3]
Name = Poison
InternalName = POISON
Weaknesses = GROUND,PSYCHIC
Resistances = FIGHTING,BUG,GRASS,FAIRY,WATER,ICE
Immunities = POISON
[4]
Name = Ground
InternalName = GROUND
Weaknesses = WATER,GRASS,ICE,BUG
Resistances = GROUND,ROCK
Immunities = ELECTRIC,POISON
[5]
Name = Rock
InternalName = ROCK
Weaknesses = FIGHTING,STEEL,WATER,GRASS
Resistances = FLYING,POISON,FIRE,ROCK,GROUND
Immunities = FIRE
[6]
Name = Bug
InternalName = BUG
Weaknesses = FLYING,ROCK,FIRE,FIGHTING,POISON
Resistances = GROUND,GRASS,FAIRY
[7]
Name = Ghost
InternalName = GHOST
Weaknesses = GHOST,DARK,FIRE,ELECTRIC,PSYCHIC,FAIRY
Resistances = POISON,BUG
Immunities = NORMAL,FIGHTING
[8]
Name = Steel
InternalName = STEEL
Weaknesses = FIGHTING,GROUND,FIRE,ELECTRIC,PSYCHIC
Resistances = FLYING,ROCK,BUG,STEEL,GRASS,ICE,DRAGON,FAIRY
Immunities = POISON
[9]
Name = ???
InternalName = QMARKS
IsPseudoType = true
[10]
Name = Fire
InternalName = FIRE
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = GROUND,ROCK,WATER
Resistances = BUG,STEEL,FIRE,GRASS,ICE,FAIRY,GHOST
[11]
Name = Water
InternalName = WATER
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = GRASS,ELECTRIC,POISON,ICE
Resistances = FIRE,WATER
[12]
Name = Grass
InternalName = GRASS
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = FLYING,BUG,FIRE,ICE
Resistances = GROUND,WATER,POISON,GRASS
Immunities = ELECTRIC
[13]
Name = Electric
InternalName = ELECTRIC
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = GROUND,DARK
Resistances = FLYING,STEEL,ELECTRIC,WATER,GHOST
[14]
Name = Psychic
InternalName = PSYCHIC
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = BUG,GHOST,DARK,POISON,ELECTRIC
Resistances = FIGHTING,PSYCHIC,ICE
[15]
Name = Ice
InternalName = ICE
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = FIGHTING,ROCK,STEEL,FIRE,POISON,ELECTRIC
Resistances = ICE
[16]
Name = Dragon
InternalName = DRAGON
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = ICE,DRAGON,FAIRY,POISON,ELECTRIC
Resistances = FIRE
[17]
Name = Dark
InternalName = DARK
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = FIGHTING,FAIRY,GHOST,FIRE
Resistances = DARK
Immunities = PSYCHIC
[18]
Name = Fairy
InternalName = FAIRY
IsSpecialType = true
Weaknesses = POISON,STEEL,FIGHTING,BUG,DARK,GHOST
Resistances = FAIRY,DRAGON

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2021
Something you may or may not have noticed is that normal types have some of the worst base stats(on average) compared to other types. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Normal_(type) compared to https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Psychic_(type) for example.

They also get no super effective STAB which means that they lack offensive niches. I understand and even like that they aren't super effective to any type. However, with most normal types having abysmal stats it's hard to justify them from an offensive standpoint unless they had great overall stats... which they don't. Defensively they aren't amazing either because they lack any resistances(still has a fighting weakness) other than ghosts immunity, but even against ghosts they are lacking because they can't hit back with a STAB move because ghost is immune to normal. This leads us, again, to the idea that to compensate for such consistently mediocre defenses normal pokemon should have better base stats than average. THEY HAVE THE SECOND WORST AVERAGE BASE STATS JUST AHEAD OF BUG TYPES. This is why Chansey and Snorlax are decent/good normal types. They have exceptional stats in certain areas like health and defenses. Other normal types, however, have atrocious stats. My recommendation would be to buff the stats of many normal types into usability. By how much is up to you of course; I can't say I've thought about what stats exactly would need to be buffed for each individual normal pokemon.

Years
Some Normal-types can deal good damage. Removing the resistance to Normal-type attacks Rock and Steel mons have (and possibly the immunity Ghost mons have) would let them deal neutral damage on pretty much anything, giving them the "I don't know what type my foe will use but this will hit them decently hard anyway" niche.

Years
I see a lot of changes on your type chart.
The Dragon-type is for example completely massacred by losing almost all of its resistances and by obtaining 2 additional vulnerabilities (it is worse than the Ice-Type vanilla with 4 weakness for only one resistance to itself).
And the Ice-Type is even worse (2 more weaknesses, knowing that it is the worst type in the game)

When you rebalance, try to go in small steps.

You have 4 levers to rebalance a Pokémon:
• Its types
• Its movepool
• Its stats bases
• Its abilities
Play on all levers.

Years
Dragon is OP but Fairy immunity was a silly fix. I made Fairy resist Dragon and gave Dragon more weaknesses.

I am balancing pokemon on "multiple levers", this is just the only complete aspect of my game so far.

Back