• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing Screen Size and Resolution

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
QUESTION

A while back (I would say about 2 years ago) I had gone through and changed a lot of the scripts to force RMXP's game screen to load up at 240x160 which is half of the current size.

I have not really done much since then and I noticed some of it seems to have changed. Anyone able to help me with this in regard to the latest (December 2011) release?​

ANSWER

In Settings find:
Code:
#===============================================================================
# * The default screen width (at a zoom of 1.0; size is half this at zoom 0.5).
# * The default screen height (at a zoom of 1.0).
# * The default screen zoom. (1.0 means each tile is 32x32 pixels, 0.5 means
#      each tile is 16x16 pixels.)
#===============================================================================
DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH  = 480
DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT = 320
[S-HIGHLIGHT]DEFAULTSCREENZOOM   = 1[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
# To forbid the player from changing the screen size themselves, quote out or
# delete the relevant bit of code in the PokemonOptions script section.

Change the value in the highlighted part to 0.5

Then in SpriteResizer find:
Code:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]$ResizeFactor=DEFAULTSCREENZOOM[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
$ResizeFactorMul=100
$ResizeOffsetX=0
$ResizeOffsetY=0
$ResizeFactorSet=false

Change the value in the highlighted part to 1.0

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah in Settings you can change it. However to get the 0.5 to work you have to go to SpriteResizer at about line 138 and change the line to $ResizeFactor=1.0. This will automatically set your screen to your desired resolution upon playing the game.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Yeah in Settings you can change it. However to get the 0.5 to work you have to go to SpriteResizer at about line 138 and change the line to $ResizeFactor=1.0. This will automatically set your screen to your desired resolution upon playing the game.

$ResizeFactor=1.0 and $ResizeFactor=0.5 fail to adjust the resolution...

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
wait, you only want to the game load up by default on the smaller resolution instead of 480x320? It's easier to go to PokemonOptions script that handle the options menu and edit this line:
Code:
   @screensize  = 0  # Screen size (0=240x160, 1=480x320, 2=320x240, 3=640x480)
Just set it as 0 (it is 1 by default I think) and you won't have to worry about editing any other scripts. If it has another reason, forget what I said.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
$ResizeFactor=1.0 and $ResizeFactor=0.5 fail to adjust the resolution...
Have you done what the post above mine suggested? By changing your resolution in Settings at the top of your scripts? ResizeFactor only makes the screen halve in size, since when you choose your resolution such as
480x320 it is double the size of your desired resolution.

Haven't tried what JV suggested, but that should also automatically bring down the aspect ratio to normal size.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
wait, you only want to the game load up by default on the smaller resolution instead of 480x320? It's easier to go to PokemonOptions script that handle the options menu and edit this line:
Code:
Just set it as 0 (it is 1 by default I think) and you won't have to worry about editing any other scripts. If it has another reason, forget what I said.

I did set it to 0 before I posted this question ;)

Neither of these have worked for me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Have you gone to line 18 of Settings and set it to DEFAULTSCREENZOOM = 0.5? After setting your resolution on the two lines above.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
However to get the 0.5 to work you have to go to SpriteResizer at about line 138 and change the line to $ResizeFactor=1.0.
Did you also do this? Because if you did, it should be working.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Did you also do this? Because if you did, it should be working.

Got it. I was meshing too many things I guess. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Settings I just adjusted line 18 then in SpriteResizer I adjusted the Resizefactor. I was also adjusting the screensize options in settings which was the issue.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Oh, you don't want to change the screen size, but the sprites right? Well, it is possible by editing the Resolution script, by changing lines 2 and 3 values to 16. HOWEVER, there is a problem, RMXP tiles are 32x32 so you won't be able to map properly =/.

*edit: Too late haha

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Oh, you don't want to change the screen size, but the sprites right? Well, it is possible by editing the Resolution script, by changing lines 2 and 3 values to 16. HOWEVER, there is a problem, RMXP tiles are 32x32 so you won't be able to map properly =/.

*edit: Too late haha

I wanted to change the screen size. and the sprite size...

I edited the OP with how I did it for those who might have the same question down the line.

The cool Treecko

Wild Treecko appeared!
Years
Code:

How to do this in v18.1? I need to make the screen size between large and medium as the default one.

Back