• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overworld Shadows

Years
_script__overworld_shadows_by_kleinstudio-d93fprr.gif

The script will show shadows under the events and the player.
The script supports dependent events and jumps.

Download: http://pokemonfangames.com/script.php?id=9

How to install
Place the script in "script.txt" before main and "overworldshadow.png" in Pictures folder.

Making event shadowless
Method 1
- Add /noShadow/ to the event name
Method 2
- Add the event name to Shadowless_EventNames
this is useful for doors for example.
Method 3
- Create a new comment in the event and type "NoShadow"
If the event is a dependent event you have to put the comment
in the common event.

Last edited:

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
You never stop making great scripts :p

It works fine, the event blacklist is a great idea. I just had something strange when the player is following a route defined in an event, some shadows were visible at a static position on the screen and I don't know which events could create them... I didn't spent time yet on it since I'm leaving for vacations in a few hours now so I can't tell more; I'll check this when I'll be back (or later tonight if I have some time before departure).

Years
You never stop making great scripts :p

It works fine, the event blacklist is a great idea. I just had something strange when the player is following a route defined in an event, some shadows were visible at a static position on the screen and I don't know which events could create them... I didn't spent time yet on it since I'm leaving for vacations in a few hours now so I can't tell more; I'll check this when I'll be back (or later tonight if I have some time before departure).

I've tested making a route for the player with an event and I did not see anything wrong, can you post a screenshot? :)

JustX

The Mutant
Years
Ive got the following problem, I installed it correctly, copy paste in a new script above main and put the .png in the pictures folder.

Error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Mutants
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `visible=' for #<ShadowSprite:0x9e527d0>

Spriteset_Map:384:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:383:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:383:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:85:in `klein_shadow_update'

Shadow (KleinStudios):117:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

Scene_Map:45:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:32:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\\Saved Games//errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I dont understand what it wants to tell me, how do I fix that?
Thanks ^^

Years
Ive got the following problem, I installed it correctly, copy paste in a new script above main and put the .png in the pictures folder.

Error:

Pokemon Mutants
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `visible=' for #<ShadowSprite:0x9e527d0>

Spriteset_Map:384:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:383:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:383:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:85:in `klein_shadow_update'

Shadow (KleinStudios):117:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

Scene_Map:45:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:32:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\\Saved Games//errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I dont understand what it wants to tell me, how do I fix that?
Thanks ^^

Are you using another script to make shadow overworlds? If you was using another script before install this one, remove the old script.
If you don't want/don't know how to delete it, you can add this at the bottom of the script:

Code:
class ShadowSprite
  def visible; end
  def visible=(value); end
end

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
So does this script automatically place shadows under EVERY event? And then you have to comment in the exceptions? Since there are tons of events in the game that don't need event (such as transfers, signs etc), wouldn't it be more prudent to have it the other way around (ie only comment to add shadow)?

Years
So does this script automatically place shadows under EVERY event? And then you have to comment in the exceptions? Since there are tons of events in the game that don't need event (such as transfers, signs etc), wouldn't it be more prudent to have it the other way around (ie only comment to add shadow)?

No, events with no graphic will not have shadow.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2016
Hey I keep getting this error

Spoiler:

that line pops up as i pass over anything that I'm supposed to go under. I thought adding your other script (the in field animation fix) would fix it but that didn't work.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
I think adding priority to the tiles will prevent the shadow to pass in front of them. Just put the 2 tree tiles right under the ones you can pass with priority 1.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
This script is great. Though I found some visual bugs that I fixed. I'll share them in case anyone else has the same issues

the first one is when using a door, the shadow overlaps it:
2NlMT1z.png

So on the line that contains
Code:
@sprite.visible=!(@event.bush_depth>0 or !(@map.id==$game_map.id) or $PokemonGlobal.surfingt)
I added "or @event.transparent" as an extra check at the end before the closing parenthesis so the shadow disappears if the player becomes transparent, which door events usually do.

The second one is weirder, I only found it on some maps. Sometimes the shadows would show up on the screen even when the events weren't visible, leading to weird things like this (note the two shadows on the left):

MsSx8LW.png

so I played around a little bit and it ended up fixing itself when I changed the line with

Code:
[email protected]@rsprite.ox
to
Code:
      val = @rsprite.src_rect.width
      if (val == 32)
        x = (character.real_x  - character.map.display_x)/4  
      else
        x = (character.real_x  - character.map.display_x)/4 - 18
      end

The if statement is for stuff like pokeballs where the second case won't work. It's kind of clunky, but so far I haven't found any issues from making these modifications.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Thanks, i already saw yours but for compatibility issues with other scripts in working with essential in v16.2 and as you stated in your post its actually bugged for that version (I tried it out actually cause I was not believing you xD) so any help for the download? Cause I believe this is working with the 16.2

Back