• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Reputation (Taylor Swift)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I pretty much stopped listening to 99.9% of pop music in the past year or so. Only exception is sometimes Lady Gaga, sometimes Ellie Goulding and, of course, Taylor Swift. I'm pretty excited for this album to drop. One of my favorite acts / producers, Jack Antonoff, produced the lead single, which I really enjoy. I'm constantly checking to see if another promo song dropped. This album is gonna be dope.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
huh... I thought T-Swift was a guitarist. This has no guitar? And neither did Look what u made me do. Is this new for her? I mean, I totally support stylistic change and growth. This is almost electronic music with lyrical melody at the forefront.

Yeah from 1989 (her previous album) her style changed the most. She's had stylistic growth throughout her career, but 1989 was her first album that was purely a pop album (rather than country/pop, though even then her albums became more pop and less country as the years went on). Heaps of electropop and synthpop on 1989, she said she was influenced by music released around her birthyear when a lot of musicians were quite experimental.

A good cross-section of 1989 to give you a feel of how her sound evolved, would be to listen to: 'Clean', 'Blank Space', 'New Romantics' and 'Out of the Woods' imo.

Charlie Brown

Years

loveeeeee. the beat is really nice. Definitely more 'bubble poppy' than the other two songs we've had so far but really enjoying this one! It's about Joe Alwyn, her current boyfriend, she mentioned at one of her listening sessions apparently. too cuteeee

"Guess I'll stumble on home to my cats... alone... unless you want to come along" hahahaha this is gold, so Taylor fkk. if she said that to me I would 100% melt

And she's finally writing happy love songs about her relationships aaaa this makes me happy :D

Though I really do want more lyrical complexity because I feel that's been missing with these three songs so far (apart from some great lines here and there) -- hoping we get that from the rest of the album though

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
"Gorgeous" is so much like my actual experience with a friend of mine that it's like, uncomfortable.

The ocean blue eyes line gives me chills.

I love the song and this album so much already.

Yeah from 1989 (her previous album) her style changed the most. She's had stylistic growth throughout her career, but 1989 was her first album that was purely a pop album (rather than country/pop, though even then her albums became more pop and less country as the years went on). Heaps of electropop and synthpop on 1989, she said she was influenced by music released around her birthyear when a lot of musicians were quite experimental.

A good cross-section of 1989 to give you a feel of how her sound evolved, would be to listen to: 'Clean', 'Blank Space', 'New Romantics' and 'Out of the Woods' imo.

I would actually really strongly argue that "All You Had to Do Was Stay" needs to be on any list that attempts to capture the essence of 1989! It better exemplifies the "pop" portion than "New Romantics" (also phenomenal, of course) and is a little closer to "How You Get the Girl" and "Wonderland" than "New Romantics," while also being quite close in sonic presentation to "I Wish You Would."

On that note, I'm going to go play literally every song I just mentioned.

Charlie Brown

Years
"Gorgeous" is so much like my actual experience with a friend of mine that it's like, uncomfortable.

The ocean blue eyes line gives me chills.

I love the song and this album so much already.

Yessss ocean blue eyes was a beautiful line. "You should take it as a compliment that I'm talking to everyone here but you" is how I act 100% haha so relateable.

I would actually really strongly argue that "All You Had to Do Was Stay" needs to be on any list that attempts to capture the essence of 1989! It better exemplifies the "pop" portion than "New Romantics" (also phenomenal, of course) and is a little closer to "How You Get the Girl" and "Wonderland" than "New Romantics," while also being quite close in sonic presentation to "I Wish You Would."

On that note, I'm going to go play literally every song I just mentioned.

Ooo good point, AYHTDWS slipped my mind for some reason! Quality song for sure.

What do you make of ...RFI getting a video this week?

I was pretty surprised, was definitely not expecting it. Interesting that it's gone from being a promo single, then Gorgeous gets released and then it gets upgraded to being a full-fledged single. I wonder why she's made that decision, quite unexpected imo.

I do like the preview we've seen. Saw a screenshot (edit: dunno why it isn't appearing. It's here)

HMKKSa5ssYuDjW8VPhafD0fdLWGRfPiSg2CVw7Adh20.jpg

"They're burning all the witches" ooofff I like the way this is going ahaha she's going all out again

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Yessss ocean blue eyes was a beautiful line. "You should take it as a compliment that I'm talking to everyone here but you" is how I act 100% haha so relateable.

Ooo good point, AYHTDWS slipped my mind for some reason! Quality song for sure.

What do you make of ...RFI getting a video this week?

I was pretty surprised, was definitely not expecting it. Interesting that it's gone from being a promo single, then Gorgeous gets released and then it gets upgraded to being a full-fledged single. I wonder why she's made that decision, quite unexpected imo.

I do like the preview we've seen. Saw a screenshot (edit: dunno why it isn't appearing. It's here)

HMKKSa5ssYuDjW8VPhafD0fdLWGRfPiSg2CVw7Adh20.jpg

"They're burning all the witches" ooofff I like the way this is going ahaha she's going all out again

Warning: lots of words, kind of goes off on a tangent about her career at large, only kind of answers your question lol

I'm surprised about the RFI video, but in retrospect, it's not quite as surprising as it seems. ...Ready For It? was released really early on compared to the lead, and from the outset it started to eat into the success of its predecessor. The production value of the video makes it seem like it's been planned as a full single for a long time, too - perhaps they're simply releasing it early so that they don't have two songs cannibalizing each other. LWYMMD has been dropping like a ball of lead on radio, literally setting records with its drops - that seems to indicate to me that Big Machine knew it wasn't palatable (it has terrible callout scores from radio listeners), and decided to push it to #1 on Pop as they would do with a Country single (old habits die hard) before letting it tank so RFI could grow. It literally seems like either they said to radio "stop playing it," or like radio stations decided by themselves to drop it and make room for her next hit.

Now, they could have waited for another song from the album to do really well and chosen that as the second single, but with Look tanking so hard right now, they probably want to have something doing well on radio and streaming when the album drops to maximize exposure.

I guarantee they don't actually care about getting five big hits again, like 1989. If we recall, Red only had two big hits and Speak Now had none outside of country formats. They're millions of times more interested in hitting the 1 million pure sales first week mark for the fourth time in a row, and selling the album in the long run. I think that's why they're pulling Look and releasing a video for RFI just two weeks before the album - make sure at least one song makes as many waves as possible, as close to the album release as possible, so people preorder or buy.

I think the rollout of the singles and promo single(s) is really weird and confusing, but it makes a lot more sense when you look at it that way - don't bother too much with hit singles since she can get a couple on name alone, just focus on the album's first week and long term sales.

In keeping with that more long term perspective, I think what Big Machine are really going for is legacy, and what Taylor is going for is speaking her mind. Now, Reputation - as far as its prerelease marketing and the songs we've heard so far - is decidedly not a legacy-supporting album. It's a little petty, it's snarky, RFI sort of clings to radio trends - what we've seen so far isn't "third AOTY Grammy" kind of material. Of course, the rest of the album might be far, far more critically appealing; I don't think anyone would've expected AOTY if the first three songs we got from 1989 were Shake It Off, Style, and Welcome to New York. But either way, my point is that she's releasing this album because she can. She doesn't need acclaim, she doesn't need sales - she has more of both than basically anyone else in the last two or three generations of music stars, and at a younger age. Instead, she has something to say, so she's going to say it, have fun, and give her fans something they'll like.

Big Machine, on the other hand, wants to say that this album was another notch in her belt with 1 million opening sales and good long term numbers, so she can get it out of her system and move on. If she signs with them again - and I bet she will - we're going to see more of the artist in her that fans and critics tend to love. We're going to see music that's sort of halfway between 1989 and Red, maybe a return to some country ventures. As I think Big Machine knows, and as I think Taylor understands because she's ridiculously perceptive and intelligent, this is her peak pop moment. Oversaturation has begun to occur, controversy is being generated, the tabloid-style "who will she talk about next" angle is being overplayed. This is the last album we're getting from Taylor Swift as a traditional pop star - she'll move away from it in the next few years, and her career will be better off for it.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love this era and the 1989 era. But beyond that, I've been a Swiftie for quite a while now, and I know that she understands how perception of her has soured a little bit.

... and that's my exceptionally unnecessary over-analysis of what it means to be getting a ...Ready For It? video tomorrow night, which I'm super excited to see! {XD}

Charlie Brown

Years
Warning: lots of words, kind of goes off on a tangent about her career at large, only kind of answers your question lol

Oversaturation has begun to occur, controversy is being generated, the tabloid-style "who will she talk about next" angle is being overplayed. This is the last album we're getting from Taylor Swift as a traditional pop star - she'll move away from it in the next few years, and her career will be better off for it.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love this era and the 1989 era. But beyond that, I've been a Swiftie for quite a while now, and I know that she understands how perception of her has soured a little bit.

... and that's my exceptionally unnecessary over-analysis of what it means to be getting a ...Ready For It? video tomorrow night, which I'm super excited to see! {XD}

I read your post before the MV dropped and it made a lot of sense, tangential analysis or not hahaha. Do agree that she'll move away from traditional popstardom after this album, and I agree with people who are saying that's why she's doing so many secret sessions this era.

On the note of the RFI video, as a standalone I found it underwhelming but I am 100000% keen if it's part one of a visual album. I reckon that would make a lot of sense, it really does seem like the precursor for the story. I love all the analyses I've seen on tumblr and instagram about old Taylor training up new Taylor and setting her free, how she doesn't need anyone on their white horse to save her anymore bc she can do that on her own, etc etc

just wish lyrically she?d challenger herself, because she?s constantly in the same lane and it?s going a little south imo

If you mean the lyrics of these three songs are weaker, I'd probably agree with you. There are some killer lines and moments but overall lyrically they're not as strong as she can be. Even then, things like rhyming 'face' with 'face' in Gorgeous says a lot in an understated way - for the first time she's so speechless she can't even rhyme aha.

If you mean generally her lyrics are weak, I'd definitely disagree - she's known for amazing lyrics. Lyrically my favourite TSwift songs are 'All Too Well', 'Clean', 'Enchanted', 'Long Live' and 'State of Grace', but I could go on for years.

I'm not concerned that reputation will have weaker lyrics - generally the songs she releases pre-release are the ones that are most different to the album (those generate buzz), and her non-singles generally have the best lyrics.

--

So this came out the other day and omgggg it's beautiful. Definitely shows a deeper side to Gorgeous. I do like some of the original lyrics that she cut ('I go through phases when it comes to love', 'curious' instead of furious) but they don't flow as well as the lyrics she went with. Watching her so natural and stripped back and genuine is so nice to see again. And the 'ghosts' moment is classic Taylor gold.

Also v v v excited for 'Call It What You Want' which is dropping in a few hours! The marketing for it makes it look like a ballad which I am v keen for, so let's see :D

1 week to go till release, listening to all her songs on repeat tbh haha.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Well, we now have another song from the album in "Call It What You Want," and it's literally the best thing I've heard from her. Maybe ever - it might just be that ~new song~ feeling, but I was immediately more drawn to this than any of the other songs she's released from the record so far, and I think this is the one that will sound the most like the rest of the album.

Charlie Brown

Years
Well, we now have another song from the album in "Call It What You Want," and it's literally the best thing I've heard from her. Maybe ever - it might just be that ~new song~ feeling, but I was immediately more drawn to this than any of the other songs she's released from the record so far, and I think this is the one that will sound the most like the rest of the album.

Yessss 100% same. LWYMMD took a couple listens to get into; after ...RFI I was like ok interesting nice, after Gorgeous I was like ok this is cute, but after this I was over the moon and fist pumping and so happy for her. Sososososo nice to see her so happy - I barely know anything about Joe but through these songs I'm in love with him too and I think that says a lot. It's so personal and the writing asjefhjkasdhf love it

The videos she put on her Instagram/Facebook stories are really cute as well, really enjoying these glimpses into her life again.

The lyrical links to Clean, New Romantics LWYMMD are amazing as well:

"I could build a castle with all the bricks they threw at me" / "My castle crumbled overnight" (NR / CIWYW)
"You said the gun was mine" / "I brought a knife to a gun fight" (LWYMMD / CIWYW)
"I don't like your kingdom keys, they once belonged to me" / "They took the crown but that's alright" (LWYMMD / CIWYW)
"When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst" / "All my flowers grew back as thorns" (Clean / CIWYW)
"The sky turned black like a perfect storm" / "Windows boarded up after the storm" (Clean / CIWYW)

beautifullll

"Trust him like a brother" is such a beautiful line as well. No one else trusted her (I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me) apart from a small group of people and her family. Trusting someone like a brother is an insane amount of trust and so beautiful asdfhjsakdf I'm so happy

If the album has this level of lyrics then I am very very very excited.

Charlie Brown

Years
Taylor is doing what Adele and Beyonce did by not releasing reputation to streaming services for the first week of sales. I was going to buy the album the day it comes out but wanted to listen to it on Spotify because the only CD player I have is in my car, rip :(

--

Also, full track list:

1. ?Ready For It?
2. End Game (feat. Ed Sheeran and Future)
3. I Did Something Bad
4. Don?t Blame Me
5. Delicate
6. Look What You Made Me Do
7. So It Goes?
8. Gorgeous
9. Getaway Car
10. King of My Heart
11. Dancing With Our Hands Tied
12. Dress
13. This Is Why We Can?t Have Nice Things
14. Call It What You Want
15. New Year?s Day

omg Future & Ed collab?! :D Everything Has Changed is one of my (many) faves so excited for another Sweeran collab aye

The ellipses look like it's sectioning off tracks 1 to 7 - seems like those are about the media/kanye/the reputation people created for her, and track 8 onwards is about love/Joe.

Excited!! ~36 hours for me :D

Charlie Brown

Years
"holding him for ransom"
"Knew I was a robber first time that he saw me
Stealing hearts and running off and never sayin' sorry
But if I'm a thief, then he can join the heist"
"Burton to this Taylor" (Elizabeth Taylor had intense media scrutiny over her love life"
"Every love I've known in comparison is a failure
I forget their names now, I'm so very tame now
Never be the same now, now"
"Baby, let the games begin
Let the games begin"

Definitely an exaggerated song about how her love life is viewed by the media. Bits of it are about Joe for sure but it's quite satirical and exaggerated

Charlie Brown

Years
ahahah yessss

My favourite tracks atm are New Year?s Day, Delicate, and Dress. A bit disappointed by Endgame tbh, it and So It Goes... are quite weak. But i?ve only listened to the album once so far (CDs are a pain lmao), gonna chuck it as a local file on my spotify so I can listen more and get a better feel for the album.

Overall I like it though and I have a feeling it will grow on me more (as 3/4 of the songs she released early did ? Call It What You Want was the only one that I loved instantly)

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
Listening to album right now and man.....the songs in album are far better both lyrically and musically than the singles she so far released......"i did something bad", "end game",'' dancing with our hands tied", and literally her best songs she had written: "getaway car" & "this is why we can't have nice things" are literally perfect...basically she did wrong choice by choosing her weaker singles....i think this was just a strategy to boost album sales :P

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

Years
^ hahaha agreed. her strategy that she recommended to ed sheeran is to release the most different song as the lead single -- fans will still love it (for the most part) because it's taylor swift/ed sheeran/whoever, and it'll create buzz because it's something different, and has the potential to win new fans. agreed that lwymmd is one of the weaker songs tho tbh

every day i seem to have a new favourite, atm i am loving "king of my heart" and "delicate" so much

Last edited:

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
Years
Old Taylor was better imo.

the new taylor, too different for my liking.

EDIT: Nuts to what I said. I might give Taylor a chance again...
Screw my old time grudges or whatever....

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

Years
sliiiight bump

wewwww Delicate video is out! <3

I love it so much. That feeling of being trapped by her reputation and the media, and then the chance for her to be free, though she doesn't realise that in order to be free, she has to disappear. And it's great, she enjoys the freedom, but then we see in the elevator scene around 2:40 that she's still lonely. And then she makes the choice to be visible, to meet Joe in the dive bar, and that smile at the end says it all.

Wasn't as delicate a video that I was expecting, but still very happy with it, heaps better than RFI and Endgame's MVs imo.

Back