• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How many legendaries is too many legendaries

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 1, 2023
This is just a fun discussion. When making a game, what would you consider how many legendaries to be ideal. Whether it be the original pokemon or fakemon. Do you base the numbers on the story? The lore in your region? Or just put them in there because you like them (looking at you mewtwo in XY)?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 17, 2023
Probably 8-10. It includes 2 Trios of Legendaries (1 main on like the Creation Trio and a less important one like the Genies), 2-3 Mythicals and 1-2 Legendary which has nothing to do with the story of the Game (Mewtwo in X and Y and maybe Heatran)

Since there are so many established stories around Legendaries, it's hard to fit them in nee stories so I'd just put them in the Reigon as an optional collectible for the explorative people. The Main Trio is the only one which needs story relevance.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 1, 2023
I personally believe less is more. Unless it make sinces with the story or the lore behind it. For example, the island guardians in Sun/Moon. So I agree that havinv 7-8, even 9 legendaries are perfect. I just dislike if a legendary is plugged in for the sake of numbers. However, I like the way how ORAS & USUM, does it though.

And yes writing a story with the established legendaries can be hard, but not impossible. Just flesh out their own lore some more. Here's one in mind, celebii is seeking help because something happened to dialga and time is being disrupted. Or shadow lugia defeated kyogre and is now turned into a shadow pokemon, and now manaphy is missing. So prince phione came to your help to stop lugia and kyogre and save manaphy. Idk something like that.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
personally, I never use legendaries. maybe mythicals like mew, for harder battles.
it's still nice to have an epic "boss fight" with a legendary as part of the story,
I'd say 3 fake legendaries are enough- one trio- so you can give them lore and connect them to game's plot. more than that will be hard for people to follow and remember, unless you make legendaries just collectibles with no story behind them. but if you use existing legendaries, the more the better. have them all roaming with a small chance of appearing anywhere, or add them in hard to reach areas- blocked by HMs, so collectors can go hunt them in the post-game. just don't try to cram them all into the plot.

Back