The PokéCommunity Forums Community Square Meet & Greet
I Need Help

Meet & Greet New forum users, start here! Introduce yourself to the community, welcome your fellow members, and discover all of the cool things you can do around PokéCommunity.

Old March 10th, 2018 (6:26 PM).

Hello guys. I made this account just to explain something and ask a big question on my mind:
    As a young kid, I was really into Pokemon. I played Firered/Emerald/SoulSilver just for the game, and Black was where I got into competitive and everything beyond the game itself. However, sadly after that, I grew out of the Pokemon franchise. Well, if you haven’t guessed already, I’m trying to get back into it. The big problem is that I don’t know what to do. I considered buying a cheap 2ds to play games, but I don’t know which games to play. I also heard that Pokemon is being discontinued on DS’s and will be moving to the Nintendo switch. Should I abandon my plan of the 2ds for the sake of money/the games are kind of old? So far, i have somewhat fixed my craving from playing ROMs on my phone, but I want the real thing. Any opinions, pointers, whatever? Thank you!
    Old March 10th, 2018 (6:32 PM).

Nature: Sassy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R3AL0P3Z_ View Post
    Hello guys. I made this account just to explain something and ask a big question on my mind:
    As a young kid, I was really into Pokemon. I played Firered/Emerald/SoulSilver just for the game, and Black was where I got into competitive and everything beyond the game itself. However, sadly after that, I grew out of the Pokemon franchise. Well, if you haven’t guessed already, I’m trying to get back into it. The big problem is that I don’t know what to do. I considered buying a cheap 2ds to play games, but I don’t know which games to play. I also heard that Pokemon is being discontinued on DS’s and will be moving to the Nintendo switch. Should I abandon my plan of the 2ds for the sake of money/the games are kind of old? So far, i have somewhat fixed my craving from playing ROMs on my phone, but I want the real thing. Any opinions, pointers, whatever? Thank you!
    Firstly, welcome to PokeCommunity! Glad to see you getting back onto the scene after such a long time off. I also really got into competitive Pokemon during Black/White and fell off afterward. When ORAS released, I got into VGC. As for your question, it might be worth getting a 2DS and just grab a copy of Ultra Sun/Moon if you don't mind not playing Sun/Moon. Doesn't seem like we're going to get any news on a new Pokemon game for the Switch anytime soon.
    Old March 10th, 2018 (6:45 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by tokyodrift View Post
      Firstly, welcome to PokeCommunity! Glad to see you getting back onto the scene after such a long time off. I also really got into competitive Pokemon during Black/White and fell off afterward. When ORAS released, I got into VGC. As for your question, it might be worth getting a 2DS and just grab a copy of Ultra Sun/Moon if you don't mind not playing Sun/Moon. Doesn't seem like we're going to get any news on a new Pokemon game for the Switch anytime soon.
      Thank you! But as for Ultra Sun/Moon, do the games allow me to jump right back in? I know I missed 2 new regions, lots of new Pokemon, and even mega evolutions which is all brand new. So do those games teach me what they are? I could go to gamestop and get a used 2ds/A game for like 120 and I believe i’m willing to do it if:
      1. The game allows me to get back into it
      2. People still play the game
      3. No new games are coming out soon

Any response to these?
      I’m sorry for the questions, but to be quite honest, i have no real idea of much at the moment, hence why i’m coming to you guys.
      Old March 10th, 2018 (7:12 PM). Edited March 10th, 2018 by tokyodrift.

Quote:
      Thank you! But as for Ultra Sun/Moon, do the games allow me to jump right back in? I know I missed 2 new regions, lots of new Pokemon, and even mega evolutions which is all brand new. So do those games teach me what they are? I could go to gamestop and get a used 2ds/A game for like 120 and I believe i’m willing to do it if:
      1. The game allows me to get back into it
      2. People still play the game
      3. No new games are coming out soon

Any response to these?
      I’m sorry for the questions, but to be quite honest, i have no real idea of much at the moment, hence why i’m coming to you guys.
      No, you're fine, I get the hesitation. People still do play these games. Megas we're introduced in X/Y, not sure if it's entirely worth getting one of those just to learn about them, unless you're really interested. Here's the Bulbapedia page on Mega-Evolution. Of course there's a new meta in (Ultra) Sun/Moon that will take a bit of time to get used to. Do you plan on playing specifically a specific tier?

If you plan to get back into it, Ultra Sun/Moon is the way to go at least imo. I should also mention that Ultra Sun/Moon are an alternate universe in which it takes place, if that doesn't interest you, Sun/Moon are the best options.
      Old March 11th, 2018 (1:33 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by tokyodrift View Post
        No, you're fine, I get the hesitation. People still do play these games. Megas we're introduced in X/Y, not sure if it's entirely worth getting one of those just to learn about them, unless you're really interested. Here's the link. Of course there's a new meta in (Ultra) Sun/Moon that will take a bit of time to get used to. Do you plan on playing specifically a specific tier?

If you plan to get back into it, Ultra Sun/Moon is the way to go at least imo. I should also mention that Ultra Sun/Moon are an alternate universe in which it takes place, if that doesn't interest you, Sun/Moon are the best options.
        As of now, I don’t think X/Y would be priorities to me because they’re The older game (and the same amount as USUM??). And if i’m correct, meta means like depth in playstyle i think, so I think as for tier, I could work my way up again through learning it (playing, youtube, internet, whatever). I do want to get back into the competitive aspect of Pokemon for sure. And thank you, that seems plausable! Also, one more thing, do you have anything to say about the TCG? I used to love the cards as a kid, but also stopped playing competitively/collecting around the time of Black/White. Any thoughts on it? I have a job unlike back then, so funding would be way easier than using my 5 dollar a week allowance Lol
        Old March 11th, 2018 (2:11 AM).
        Running towards Happiness!!!

Nature: Jolly
          I'd say that you download any pokedex app on your mobile phone... that way whenever you see a new pokemon, you could search it up and become informed at least about the new pokemon.
          That's what I did when those Alola pokemon were added. However, see that you download a good pokedex app

Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic.
          Capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.
          -Dumbledore
          Old March 11th, 2018 (6:42 AM).

Quote:
          As of now, I don’t think X/Y would be priorities to me because they’re The older game (and the same amount as USUM??). And if i’m correct, meta means like depth in playstyle i think, so I think as for tier, I could work my way up again through learning it (playing, youtube, internet, whatever). I do want to get back into the competitive aspect of Pokemon for sure. And thank you, that seems plausable! Also, one more thing, do you have anything to say about the TCG? I used to love the cards as a kid, but also stopped playing competitively/collecting around the time of Black/White. Any thoughts on it? I have a job unlike back then, so funding would be way easier than using my 5 dollar a week allowance Lol
          I’m glad I wasn’t able to help! As for the TCG, my knowledge is very sparse when it comes to that. You can ask in our Pokémon Trading Card Game section. The regulars and mods there are pretty good with it, so they should be able to give you some pointers.
          Old March 11th, 2018 (10:45 AM).
          Pokemon Master

Nature: Jolly
            Hello, welcome back to PokeCommunity!

I've been having trouble too, as of gaming wise, but competitively I'm staying with Pokemon Showdown and posting in the Creative & Writing category since I like to write fanfiction and other stories. I've tried an emulator on my mobile phone but the NDS was too slow for my comfort haha.

It's hard to find a good way to get back into the Pokemon scene, that's why I'm sticking to the writing haha. So, I hope you can get into the Pokemon scene again.

We'll see you around!

Quick Reply