• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

Years
  • Age 48
  • Seen Oct 12, 2019
PC Storage Limit. Got a Mewtwo down to 1HP and Frozen? Too bad, you can't catch it because you forgot to change your Box.

Everything else doesn't matter. Bag limits persist until DS games, and who cares about Bind/Wrap once you catch an Abra and sweep the rest of the game with its OP Special stat, 0 weaknesses, and solid STAB moves that most Pokemon don't even get?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
The fact we never had the true Green or Red. All three versions of RBY in the west was just Blue with some art changes. That is about it. Yellow in the west did get more colors for the GBC release but that is all.

Green and Red both had slightly different worlds then Blue did. So you never really play all of what Pokemon had to offer.

As somebody said is the lack of Mew and then discovering the Mew glitch yeaarrrss later. I paid $5 dollars for my Mew. Also the tv series had the crystal Onyx bs. Where is Crystal Onyx in the G/S.

Otherwise everything in the original games was great the way they were. Just that it was all in my imagination

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
By far, THE most annoying this to me in Gen 1 and Gen 2 was the HM move Flash and how it had to be used in the Rock Tunnel and Victory Road. The move is pretty damned useless except for that small use so the fact I was forced to teach some poor pokemon a completely useless move just annoyed me to no end.

AXELXu7

Kusari Ninja
Years
I actually memorized rock tunnel to the point that I could run through it blind-ish. I personally hated how you could fill all your PC and bag item slots before getting every tm and evolution stone. Lack of breeding can be sort of hard to adjust back to, and pinning down recycled cries are bothering me.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
The fact that were no running shoes. I recently played pokemon yellow and god was it annoying without the swiftness of the running shoes.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
Years
Well at least with Rock Tunnel in this game it wasn't completely blinded. You could see the walls so if you had a map you weren't entirely screwed.

But the item cap was super annoying. I ended up having to go back and forth to and from the Pokemon center to move stuff around in the PC.

Years
The fact that were no running shoes. I recently played pokemon yellow and god was it annoying without the swiftness of the running shoes.
To be fair, if they were just trying to introduce such games, and have them be liked a bit, they might not want people to just rush through them.

By far, THE most annoying this to me in Gen 1 and Gen 2 was the HM move Flash and how it had to be used in the Rock Tunnel and Victory Road. The move is pretty damned useless except for that small use so the fact I was forced to teach some poor pokemon a completely useless move just annoyed me to no end.
Flash is useful. If a Bellsprout can be effective by knowing Slam, then Flash, which as Gen. II explained is a tribute and icon of the Bellsprout taken out, can only be more effective. You could say that such a move being generally learnable is a bit broken.

Paying 500 for Magika[r]p. 500 is a big deal during the beginning of the game.
It won't be soon. Hopefully the Magikarp gets a chance to shine before being evolved into a Gyarados - and Magikarp's 'shiny' form being gold (who needs Albertus Magnus?) was a nice touch -, though. As, to loosely paraphrase Bad Religion, Gyarados' counterpart in the magic arts is manufacturing Judgment Day, you might say it's worthwhile.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
Yeah the Magikarp for 500 is not bad at all. It's easy as shit to earn money because there are so many battles and there's a reasonable amount of gameplay between getting the Magikarp and getting the old rod that it's worth paying for it if you invest in it (lead with it in battles) - I had a kickarse Gyarados that can shit on just about anything early on.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
The thing that I am finding most annoying - by FAR - is that there is no pause between 'which move should be forgotten' and the options to replace. I'm so used to later generations where there's a pause or a screen change so you smash A or B to get through all the '___ wants to learn ____ but ____ can't learn more than four moves" crap and then the screen comes up and you can pick what to swap.

But in Gen 1 I have wiped out several really good moves simply because the second 'which move should be forgotten' is displayed and I have been smashing A and wiped out the top move. Now there is no way for my Charmeleon to learn Body Slam again.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
1. Glitches - it just breaks my gameplay ok?

2. Graphics - sometimes, graphics break.

3. Unfair - I hate you Lance with your Dragonites.

4. Hackers - my friend while we were playing back then.

5. Internal Battery - just hate it.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
It was ok in red and blue but dont you guys remember the difficulty in crossing the mt. moon in yellow ?when i reached this place, i had no good pokemon with me other than pikachu, and it was quite tough battling the hikers here. And moreover, the cave was so big, i literally kicked my GameBoy bcoz of frustration . man! it took me quite a lot of time to reach the end of this cave.

Years
It was ok in red and blue but dont you guys remember the difficulty in crossing the mt. moon in yellow ?when i reached this place, i had no good pokemon with me other than pikachu, and it was quite tough battling the hikers here. And moreover, the cave was so big, i literally kicked my GameBoy bcoz of frustration . man! it took me quite a lot of time to reach the end of this cave.
Mt. Moon is a bit of a grind. Still, though, shouldn't you have been prepared for that kind of thing by the Brock battle? It might be time-consuming, perhaps, but it shouldn't be that difficult. Also, you get some sort of cameo as a reward in Yellow.

Perhaps the solution to all problems with grinding with Pikachu is to visit waterworks. After sufficient tourism, it is said that a level 5 Pikachu could even take on a level 100 Mewtwo and get by without many problems.

It is a bit weird when you're fervently not allowed out of a city, and then you leave and there's a bunch of trainers with lower levels than the last Gym, and who are presumably just wandering there.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
I did not mind hackers or Missingno bs. Because there was always ways around that. We treated all of those extra monsters and LV255 as normal. THat is how it should have stayed afterwards. It was like how somebody brought out the MEWTWO!!! In return bring out the 255 Missingno. Nintendo missed a good chance to market off that. That is there decision. With the lv. 255 glitch to even see any other pokemon being taken advantage of and caught using that gltich was amazing. When I turn 90 I will probably go back to the games to recatch all the Lv 255 monsters. The only bad part of the game was the battery dying. After bringing up the levels only to have your battery die on you. Is the worst of the worst imaginable. Nintendo does not care at all. Even with all the backup procedures and duping ( duplicating ) of items. It was amazing. I still have my Charizard and Umbreon along with the eggs ( my babies ) I created stored on the N64 game cart. As long as I could take advantage of duping them ( for back up sake ) I do not mind playing the game. I really hate to have lv100 Pigeot or Some monster that is frustratingly hard to raise up and get into it's most power house state just to see it deleted.

It is like when I owned tamigotchi and they died. It was so dramatic. The tamigotchi exploded in a burst of fire and sometimes it would leave behind an egg. I hate that so much.

Bay

Years

I remember when I first started Yellow several years ago I used Nidorina to deal with the hikers in Mt. Moon, so I didn't have too much trouble. Only thing is dealing with Zubats if you forget repel, lol.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
We saw it in Twitch Plays Pokemon, but the AI being demonstrably shit at times is frustrating. If you have an iota of patience, it's very easy to beat Lance. Once you get to his Dragonite you can beat it with a Level 1 poison type because it just spams its Psychic status moves.

Years
I hate the glitches, I encountered so many in the originals
It might have been a bit rare to encounter most of the more well-known glitches inadvertently, other than the glitches involving moves and so on. How did you stumble into those?

A few of the glitches did enhance that game in some ways, or certainly not usually get in the way, and the speculation and so on around those games is something that the newer games tend to miss.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Those guys with the Mews.

tumblr_novzwomX2h1us3g8oo1_400.gif

Back