• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can i have a Substitution?? (RMT)

Years
Hey Guys, its been a while. I've been toying around in the Gen V metagame a little, have a couple successful teams, but i think i can do much better. That is where you come in! :D

This team is centralized around a SubGyara sweeper set. Without further boredom, here is the lineup...

Scollipede
Ability: Swarm
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Toxic Spikes
Spikes
Earthquake
Megahorn

My lead for most of the time. Sets up Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes does loads of damage with multiple layers set up, and is the entry hazard that does most to those pesky steels. (Genosect, Scizor, Empoleon, Ferrothorn, etc.) Toxic Spikes helps with the Gyara setup, allowing him to easily beat bulky waters one on one with the residual damage. Megahorn for some powerful STAB and Earthquake for coverage.

Gyarados
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Bounce
Waterfall

This team's main sweeper and star! Gyarados is a powerhouse, after setting up a substitute and grabbing several DD boosts, he's perfectly capable of sweeping entire teams. He usually comes in on an opposing wall such as Jellicent or Forretress and proceeds to set up in their faces with little opposition, then sweeping. (sadly not many people i face, which i do face a lot, tend to switch out :( )

Eelektross
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 Sp Def
Moveset:
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Substitute

Okay, you're probably wondering "WTH is that??". It is my personal counter to some walls such as: Jellicent, Ferrothorn (which Gyarados has loads of trouble with), Forretress. He also is capable of paralyzing any threatening sweepers opposing my team, as well as revenge killers, etc. thus crippling them. Even with no investment in Sp Atk he's still able to deal sizable chunks of damage and all the extra bulk does wonders for him.

Garchomp
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
Earthquake
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Stone Edge

The bane of the opponents existence in sandstorm, as well as mine. I cannot say how many times Sand Veil hax has lost me the game but its hardly helped me win. Haha, i guess that's why its hax. Anyways, Earthquake is a great move for Chomp. Outrage does amazing damage, but i'm locked into it for multiple turns; whereas, Dragon Claw allows me to switch for one third less damage than Outrage. Fire Fang for steel types and grass types in sun. Stone Edge for those little floaty creatures or things with wings.

Heatran
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Air Balloon
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 Def, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Taunt
Stealth Rock

My late game Stealth Rocker as well as fire immunity and ground immunity (until my balloon is popped D:). After a Flash Fire boost, Fire Blast deals loads of damage to pokes whether they resist it or not. Earth Power handles other Heatrans that might be running a modest nature or no balloon. Taunt prevents other pokes from setting up or laying hazards (Forretress and Ferrothorn mainly).

Sceptile
Ability: Unburden
Item: Petaya Berry (Absorb Bulb)
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 4 Sp Def, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Giga Drain
Hidden Power (Ice)
Focus Blast
Substitute

A murderer against rain teams (in which case, use Absorb Bulb), and occassionally sandstorm teams (Petaya Berry). Using entry hazards, resisted moves, and substitute, you allow your HP to get low enough to activate the Petaya Berry granting the equivalent of a Choice Specs boost, and doubling speed (hence why i use Modest). Proceed to sweep with STAB Giga Drain (replenishing health), HP Ice for Dragons, flying types, and Focus Blast for Steels that resist the other two. (BTW, its my own custom set. You like?)

Previous Team Members:

Cryogonal (replaced by Sceptile)
Ability: Levitate
Item: Light Clay
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 HP, 4 Sp Def, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Reflect
Light Screen
Ice Beam
Rapid Spinner

Didn't always get a chance to set up both screens, but really aided my Gyara's setup. Ice Beam for STAB and even without Sp Atk EV's can still deal a good bit of damage, Rapid Spin to rid the field of hazards. Note: it has taken on a Sub Magnezone one on one and won with its supreme Special bulk.

Landorus (replaced by Eelektross)
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 4 Sp Def, 252 Spd
Moveset:
Earth Power
Hidden Power (Flying)
Grass Knot
Calm Mind

This thing use to dent some Sandstorm teams. He's plenty bulky enough to take on Excadrill and KO back with a STAB, Sand Force boosted Earth Powers. Calm Mind boosted Special attack and bulk. HP Flying took out Conkeldurr and Breloom quickly as well as provided him with Dual STAB. Grass Knot has the capabilities to OHKO most Swampert variants as well as severely dent Hippowdons.

Last edited:
Years
The difference in power between Outrage and Dragon Claw is 50%. That is a Choice Band boost in power in exchange for being locked into the move for two to three rounds and being confused. I would use Outrage over Dragon Claw for the significant boost in power.

Years
Electivire is just begging to catch a Thunderbolt off of Eelektross and then run amok, especially if he can catch Garchomp moving in. Is that worth making a bunch of changes for? Probably not. In general, though, I think Electric pokemon with decent movepools will give you trouble, especially should Garchomp fall or be trapped Outraging on some troublesome steel type.

I like the less common pokemon choices, though that means your play is probably going to have to be even more refined to pull it off, as these pokemon are, and I'm sure someone can come in and tell you more specifically, outclassed by others. A quick example, since I thought of it: Forretress in the lead role allows you to lay the same hazards, but with rapid spin support to protect Gyarados from SR, which can become a real pain for him, while you have his fire weakness very well covered.

Hearts for the Absorb Bulb Sceptile, a set I had not thought of, and would love to try.

Years
Thanks for the input guys :D

@Drakow-yeah, i've been using Outrage, i was just curious if Dragon Claw might be better, but i think i'll stick with the Outrage.

@OneofFour-how often do we see E-vire? and if he does get a speed boost, he still can't outspeed Scarf Chomp. And Forretress, hmmmmm, i'll give it some thought, thanks a ton!

Can i get a good EV spread for Forretress? i've never really used one

Last edited:
Back