• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Choas could you teach me yo use these magIc power i want too add pokemon to my FIRE OPAL

Dear Rodriguez, I don't think Chaos Rush would teach those. Actually, never. If you want to add Pokemon to Fire Opal, just use the sprites available from Chaos Rush right now using Wichu's Pokemon Sprite Editor.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Choas could you teach me yo use these magIc power i want too add pokemon to my FIRE OPAL
Well for front sprite, I just open up plain old MS Paint, shrink around 85%-90ish% depending on Pokemon, and then zoom in and smooth out all the distorted pixels, while looking at the original sprite right next to it as a reference.

For back sprites, I just open up MS Paint, shrink the HG/SS backsprite to exactly 80%, then zoom in and clean up the distorted pixels, while looking at the original sprite for reference.

For Unova Pokemon backsprites, I either make a custom sprite from scratch, using both the official backsprites and the Sugimori art as a reference, or I just crop part of the B/W backsprite and enlarge it, and then clean it up.

Also if a Pokemon's colors look absolutely nothing like its Sugimori art, such as Golem or Mantyke, then I adjust its color palette to resemble its Sugimori art more.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2022
Chaos Rush, do you think you could elaborate on here about what you want specifically in an outline after a sprite has been resized? I find that to be the toughest part, and I bet that there are others out there (myself included) who would want to help more with the sprites if we knew how to do it "properly" (being an inexact science and all).

The rest seems pretty straightforward (80% on back sprites, relative size on front sprites, use correct palettes, etc.) but the outlining seems abstract. Any help would be appreciated, and I think the people who watch this thread would pay you back for it many times over. A layman's explanation though, please.

Thanks and keep it up.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Chaos Rush, do you think you could elaborate on here about what you want specifically in an outline after a sprite has been resized? I find that to be the toughest part, and I bet that there are others out there (myself included) who would want to help more with the sprites if we knew how to do it "properly" (being an inexact science and all).

The rest seems pretty straightforward (80% on back sprites, relative size on front sprites, use correct palettes, etc.) but the outlining seems abstract. Any help would be appreciated, and I think the people who watch this thread would pay you back for it many times over. A layman's explanation though, please.

Thanks and keep it up.
28vzv2r.png

Looking at your backsprite, I circled the parts that I found problematic, and circled the corresponding part in the original (left is your sprite, right is HG/SS).

There are certain outlining techniques in the original sprite that you have to notice and observe, and then you have to replicate it in the resized sprite. You can't just "clean it up", because the outlining technique might be lost in the process. For instance, look at the big circle on Totodile's head. If you look at the HG/SS one, you can clearly see an outlining technique that was lost in your sprite. You have to look at the original and think, "Hm...why did the artist draw it this way?", and then apply the same logic to the resized sprite. Or at least, that's how I do it.

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but I went and did my own version of Totodile as an example, and you can compare them if you want.
33dy1p4.png

Left is yours, right is mine. Hope this helps. Come to think of it, Totodile's original sprite is kinda weird anyways, I'm sure if you tried another Pokemon it'll look just fine.

EDIT:
560.png

561-1.png

If anyone can come up with a better backsprite for Stoutland, please go right on ahead...it was the best I could do after several designs, and I can't seem to come up with a better one. I personally think my Stoutland back is "okay".

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I can't believe I'm posting another sprite... I almost feel like I'm doing too many. Maybe I should slow down? I feel like I'm cluttering up your nice thread :(

I felt a sense of obligation to finish out the Cyndaquil family by doing Typhlosion. I'll post it here first:

ndrmfa.png

I was really stressing out over this one; I felt bad that you've had to redo all of mine, so I tried to make it perfect. I doubt I did though...you're much better at noticing that kind of stuff than I am, so I'll post here anyway and hope you'll forgive me for my poor outlining again :)

Also, that thicker bit near the base of Typhlosion's neck bugs me >_< I wanted to make it normal-sized, but the original sprite never lies, so thicker it is.

Edit: I remember what I was going to say. For Stoutland's sprite, it looks weird that you can only see one-half of the beard on the backsprite...It seems like you should maybe be able to see a little bit of it on the other side also. The darker brown also seems really dark; I don't know if you can tone it down or not.
I sound super-critical, I think...I'm sorry! I just want to help D:

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I can't believe I'm posting another sprite... I almost feel like I'm doing too many. Maybe I should slow down? I feel like I'm cluttering up your nice thread :(

I felt a sense of obligation to finish out the Cyndaquil family by doing Typhlosion. I'll post it here first:

ndrmfa.png

I was really stressing out over this one; I felt bad that you've had to redo all of mine, so I tried to make it perfect. I doubt I did though...you're much better at noticing that kind of stuff than I am, so I'll post here anyway and hope you'll forgive me for my poor outlining again :)
There's some minor nitpicks, but I don't have time to list them right now. But its good enough for me to use (with some very minor edits), so I'll add it to the first post this weekend :)

Also, that thicker bit near the base of Typhlosion's neck bugs me >_< I wanted to make it normal-sized, but the original sprite never lies, so thicker it is.
Yeah, but the original sprite doesn't have a clump of ugly red pixels either.

Edit: I remember what I was going to say. For Stoutland's sprite, it looks weird that you can only see one-half of the beard on the backsprite...It seems like you should maybe be able to see a little bit of it on the other side also. The darker brown also seems really dark; I don't know if you can tone it down or not.
I sound super-critical, I think...I'm sorry! I just want to help D:
Don't worry about sounding too critical. I don't like the Stoutland backsprite, so any suggestions on improvement are welcome. I'll take those suggestions into consideration.

EDIT: I'm afraid I'll only be using the Typhlosion backsprite (I had to make some edits though). The front sprite is too small, and there's some pixels you missed, like the dithering technique on Typhlosion's left foot/leg was lost in your resized version. Also there are pixel inconsistencies between your normal and shiny sprites. Are you recoloring them by hand? There's a special flawless method of recoloring that works much better than recoloring pixel by pixel, which I'm assuming you did.

Last edited:

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
Years
561-1.png

If anyone can come up with a better backsprite for Stoutland, please go right on ahead...it was the best I could do after several designs, and I can't seem to come up with a better one. I personally think my Stoutland back is "okay".

I love the Stoutland backsprite you made, personally. But hey, that's just me. C:

EDIT: It just occurs to me that I had actually attempted to make a custom sprite myself. I remember editing Archeops's sprite so that its tail is behind it, rather than dangling down below it, freeing up space so it fits within a 64x64 sprite. I was doing this for my hack (before I decided to stop using Archen's evolutionary line in favor of Tirtouga's), but I still have the leftover sprite. Just did a few touch-ups on it and then recolored it in Archeops' shiny palette.
archeopsfrontsprite.png

Lemme know what you think of it, if you don't like it, then that's no big deal. I have no backsprite only because I had used the actual B/W backsprites for all Gen V Pokemon (which I now realize looks really stupid). I'm debating on doing a backsprite, though, although that might be pushing my skill limits. :Y

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I love the Stoutland backsprite you made, personally. But hey, that's just me. C:

EDIT: It just occurs to me that I had actually attempted to make a custom sprite myself. I remember editing Archeops's sprite so that its tail is behind it, rather than dangling down below it, freeing up space so it fits within a 64x64 sprite. I was doing this for my hack (before I decided to stop using Archen's evolutionary line in favor of Tirtouga's), but I still have the leftover sprite. Just did a few touch-ups on it and then recolored it in Archeops' shiny palette.
archeopsfrontsprite.png

Lemme know what you think of it, if you don't like it, then that's no big deal. I have no backsprite only because I had used the actual B/W backsprites for all Gen V Pokemon (which I now realize looks really stupid). I'm debating on doing a backsprite, though, although that might be pushing my skill limits. :Y
I don't like how choppy and rushed the tail looks, but I'll consider the idea of having the tail behind the sprite when I do Archeops's sprite.

Oh and on the bright side:
562.png

563.png

These backsprites turned out quite nicely IMO, almost as good as my Servine :D

EDIT: Since making backsprites for Gen V Pokemon is significantly harder than making front sprites, I decided I'm going to focus completely on Gen V backsprites specifically. Similar to how Wiznatts had all the backsprites on one sheet, I'm going to do the same:
168ekpi.png

This would speed up the process a little, and it allows other people to contribute more easily. (Jambo51 I hope you're fine with me doing this because I know you would prefer having front sprites and backsprites at the same time...)

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
EDIT: Since making backsprites for Gen V Pokemon is significantly harder than making front sprites, I decided I'm going to focus completely on Gen V backsprites specifically. Similar to how Wiznatts had all the backsprites on one sheet, I'm going to do the same.

This would speed up the process a little, and it allows other people to contribute more easily. (Jambo51 I hope you're fine with me doing this because I know you would prefer having front sprites and backsprites at the same time...)

Yes, I would prefer them both together. However, I leave it entirely up to you. Whatever you feel works, go with it. In the mean time, I shall return to fighting against several ROMs and their Pokédexes...

SkieTheKitsune

Years
Would you like me to try and fix the tail, Chaos Rush? I can agree that it definitely looks choppy. I also started working on Meowth and Persian (because I've now gotten inspiration to improve myself), although at the moment I'm not very happy with the way Meowth's backsprite looks.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Would you like me to try and fix the tail, Chaos Rush? I can agree that it definitely looks choppy. I also started working on Meowth and Persian (because I've now gotten inspiration to improve myself), although at the moment I'm not very happy with the way Meowth's backsprite looks.
Sure go ahead, but I can't guarantee I will use it, because my picky-ness is ridiculously high. Also I really hope you're not making custom backsprites for Meowth and Persian, all Pokemon from Gen I-IV will use their HG/SS backsprite resized 80%, and recolored to match the front sprite if necessary.

SkieTheKitsune

Years
Sure go ahead, but I can't guarantee I will use it, because my picky-ness is ridiculously high. Also I really hope you're not making custom backsprites for Meowth and Persian, all Pokemon from Gen I-IV will use their HG/SS backsprite resized 80%, and recolored to match the front sprite if necessary.

Okay, thanks. It's no big deal if you use it or not, I just wanted to get your opinion on it. C: Also, I'm not making anything custom, I'm using the HG/SS backsprites at 80% like you specified.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Okay, thanks. It's no big deal if you use it or not, I just wanted to get your opinion on it. C: Also, I'm not making anything custom, I'm using the HG/SS backsprites at 80% like you specified.
Okay, good :) Besides, even if I don't end up using it, you'll still be credited for the idea, and working on sprites will make you improve regardless :)

EDIT: Elemental monkey backs!
2cxiakg.png

Simisage is WIP though (obviously)

Last edited:

D3StR0Y4mike

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 29, 2014
I'd like to help but none of the images I'm trying to add to my reply aren't showing up D:
Am I doing something wrong?

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
Years
This project..everything...looks beautiful. Chaos Rush you deserve something for all your hard work you put into your sprites. Not only that, but also for your research (along with Jambo51) in your Pokemon Ruby 649 patch. I applaud you for everything you have done for the hacking community.

Sadly, what sucks is that I can't get your sprites, or any for that matter, to appear in Wichu's Sprite Editor or in-game. All I get is a bunch of pixels in-game.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
EDIT: I'm afraid I'll only be using the Typhlosion backsprite (I had to make some edits though). The front sprite is too small, and there's some pixels you missed, like the dithering technique on Typhlosion's left foot/leg was lost in your resized version. Also there are pixel inconsistencies between your normal and shiny sprites. Are you recoloring them by hand? There's a special flawless method of recoloring that works much better than recoloring pixel by pixel, which I'm assuming you did.

I'm sorry my sprite wasn't good enough...I thought it might've been a little small, and it'd no doubt look better if you did it, instead of me. The pixel inconsistencies are probably because I'd make the sprites, think they were done, make the shiny versions, and then find a place I messed up, and I would then try to edit both shiny and normal at the same time, disastrous in it of itself. I don't really color by hand; I take the non-shiny sprite, put it next to the original shiny sprite, left click the color i want changed, right click on the corresponding color on the shiny, and use the eraser tool. Is there another way?

Also, I've decided that my mediocrity is proving to be more a hassle to you than anything...If you're gonna end up just resizing front sprites and fixing my back sprites, then I haven't really accomplished anything. I'm glad I was able to help contribute in some way, at least.

PS: o-o I can't believe you actually adjusted Stoutland's sprite like I suggested...I wasn't actually expecting anything, to be honest.

SkieTheKitsune

Years
I just ran Dusknoir's sprite through Wichu's sprite editor and tested it out in a FireRed rom, and it looks absolutely beautiful. I took a couple screenshots for good measure, which you can find right here. Also please ignore the renamed Rattata in the second screenshot, I haven't gotten a sprite for its replacement yet. :V

But anyway, I've got more important things to say besides Dusknoir's sprite looking beautiful, I wanted to report that Persian's sprites are now finished.
053.png

I personally think it came out pretty good, but it can always be fixed and touched up. Chaos Rush, please let me know if the front sprite is too large, as I had resized it so that it fits on a 64x64 sprite, rather than resizing it to 80% like I did with the back sprite. Meowth should be on the way, followed by the fixed Archeops. I plan on rounding out the tail a little bit, rather than having it look blocky as it does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back