• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Make-a-Mega Returns: Vote on stats for Mega Beartic!

Which stat spread should we give Mega Beartic?

• [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9712872&postcount=59"]Option One[/url]

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9713019&postcount=60"]Option Two[/url]

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9713120&postcount=61"]Option Three[/url]

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9716078&postcount=64"]Option Four[/url]

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • [url="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9716129&postcount=65"]Option Five[/url]

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Acidify is another option. I can't think of any good alternatives to those two. I like Contaminate the most.

Maybe apply the 30% poison effect to all contact moves that it uses. Same as Poison Touch. That could be too complicated, though.

Acid Snow sounds like a great idea, but it seems more fitting for a defensive Pokemon. I personally don't think it suits Beartic well.

Years
Maybe apply the 30% poison effect to all contact moves that it uses. Same as Poison Touch. That could be too complicated, though.

I feel like that's a bit much for one ability maybe, but that's just me. 30% of Poison stacked on top of 120 from Superpower, max power STAB return, prio Aqua Jet or Icicle Crash?

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I feel like the Ability was locked in when Ice/Poison was chosen as the typing, given that Beartic does not learn any Poison-type moves, it's really hard to think of something else that works.

The only different thing I can think of is something like "Corrosive Touch" or something, which would be like Poison-Types, except maybe a higher Poison chance and you can poison Poison- and Steel-types, which would help vs walls. Something else that comes to mind would be something similar to Poison-type Aerilate, but making (certain) moves Ice/Poison (similar to Flying Press).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
What about "poison touch" mechanic that only activates in winter conditions?

Flu Season: When hail effect is in play, poison types have a 30% of inflicting poison status upon making contact.

Essentially the nerf is that you have to setup hail to get the ability to activate, and obviously the opponent can get rid of hail condition or taunt. Also, you cannot hold icy rock with the mega stone. Though, obviously it would be a beast

Years
What about "poison touch" mechanic that only activates in winter conditions?

Flu Season: When hail effect is in play, poison types have a 30% of inflicting poison status upon making contact.

Essentially the nerf is that you have to setup hail to get the ability to activate, and obviously the opponent can get rid of hail condition or taunt. Also, you cannot hold icy rock with the mega stone. Though, obviously it would be a beast
Makes it a decent ability in doubles, I guess, but it still doesn't have a poison stab

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Something like "poison is inflicted on any opposing non-Poison/Steel Pokemon that are out in the field when both hail and Flu Season are active" would be more useful. It's not a bad ability, but it's restricted to hail. We'd have to decide whether something like this would be useful enough to put hail on the map as a playstyle all by itself.

Sirfetch’d

I like all options presented, but I think having the most power would be the best, aka just a Poison Pixilate. We have to remember that because this is a mega, it wont be able to hold an item so unless we just massively boost it's attack, it won't be doing a ridiculous amount of damage. We'll have to put some stat boosts in it's speed and most likely bulk to even make it remotely viable as well.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Having the 30% damage boost AND 30% chance to poison to me seems pretty busted. If you don't manage to nuke them with a 102 power move which gets a STAB boost AND an extra 15%/20% on top of that, you also manage to then stick a DoT onto them? Stall becomes almost pointless with Mega-Beartic around, because it can just nuke/poison most of the walls minus like Ferrothorn.
To be fair, Mega Scizor or even Quagsire + Heal Bell / Aromatherapy can come close to hard walling it. Toxapex walls it unless it runs Bulldoze over Superpower (Icicle Crash / Return / SD). Skarmory isn't too shabby either, though it's susceptible to flinches.

252+ Atk Beartic Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 102-120 (30.6 - 36%)
+2 252+ Atk Beartic Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 202-238 (60.6 - 71.4%)
^ 160 Base Attack and Adamant, but Jolly will probably be better

It's weak to Stealth Rock and 5 types. We can keep it slow too, like a little under Tapu Lele.

However, being slow with the poison chance might be less viable than being reasonably fast (think Mega Pinsir) with no poison chance.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
I feel like the Ability was locked in when Ice/Poison was chosen as the typing, given that Beartic does not learn any Poison-type moves, it's really hard to think of something else that works.

The only different thing I can think of is something like "Corrosive Touch" or something, which would be like Poison-Types, except maybe a higher Poison chance and you can poison Poison- and Steel-types, which would help vs walls. Something else that comes to mind would be something similar to Poison-type Aerilate, but making (certain) moves Ice/Poison (similar to Flying Press).

I don't like a Ice/Poison move because it gets neutral coverage on Ground which is useless for an Ice-type move and is weak against Fire-types, most of which would otherwise hate to switch into a boosted Poison-type Return.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
For what it's worth, Contaminate is the name of the Poison-type Pixilate in the fangame I'm planning. Glad to see that name choice validated.

Also for what it's worth, Acid Snow would be cool if it was essentially Snow Warning, but everything on the field at the time when Hail ends gets poisoned, to make it slightly less gimmicky.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
HP: 95
Atk: 160
Def: 90
SpA: 70
SpD: 90
Spe: 100

I think the Speed boost is important to make up for Mega Beartic's relatively poor defensive typing. Putting it in the same Speed tier as Mega Medicham, Mega Gardevoir, etc. seems suitable, because I can't visualize Beartic being as fast as Thundurus-T, Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, etc. I'm fairly sure all Megas that are around this Speed tier or higher aren't given any more than 30 to their main offensive stat (excluding originally really bad Pokemon like Beedrill), so I left Beartic with 160 Atk. Everything else went to defenses. I was debating about making it 100 Def and 80 SpD since Beartic is a physical Pokemon, but the extra SpD is useful in competitive to help with switching into Grass- and Fairy-types.

Sirfetch’d

Attack: 130 --> 150
Defense: 80 --> 90
Special Attack: 70 --> 60
Special Defense: 80 --> 110
Speed: 50 --> 100

Made mine a slightly bit bulkier specially to tank hits from mons it will be switching into like Tangrowth, Tapu Fini, Clefable, etc a bit better. 150 attack is plenty high considering it has access to SD and will be getting a very powerful STAB in either Return or Thrash.

Also wolf, I think you boosted your set by 110 BST when the limit is 100(?)

edit: nvm i was looking at pre-buffed stats

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
HP = 95
Attack = 130 --> 160 (+30)
Defense = 80 --> 110 (+30)
Special Attack = 70 --> 20 (-50)
Special Defense = 80 --> 110 (+30)
Speed = 50 --> 110 (+60)
Total = 505 --> 605 (+100)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
HP = 95
Attack = 130 --> 160 (+30)
Defense = 80 --> 110 (+30)
Special Attack = 70 --> 20 (-50)
Special Defense = 80 --> 110 (+30)
Speed = 50 --> 110 (+60)
Total = 505 --> 605 (+100)

I think its a bit cheesy to take that much out of SpA, and with it being so tanky it wouldn't make any sense for it to be so fast. Other than that I think its a good spread that allows it to check scary stuff like Azumarill at +6.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
@Mobile Tsk
Take away from SpA to give to the defenses, then? There's no need for it to retain any SpA if it's not going to be a special attacker. However, 50 points is a drastic drop in hindsight. Maybe

HP = 95
Atk = 160
Def = 120
SpA = 50
SpD = 120
Spe = 50
Total = 605

Back