• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and the evolution of Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
i was thinking about this the other night but pokemon basically predicted the evolution of technology throughout the games with its various devices.

G/S: Release 1999
Not many people had Mobile/Cell phones and i know a fair few thought it would be a fad that would eventually die down but pokemon knew better giving the player a basic phone with radio and sound playback as well as call functionality all of which would be standard in phones a few years later.

R/S: Release 2002
we upgrade the basic cell phone into a better "Smarter" phone with a built in map, the ability to check things like your pokemon's contest stats, and an improved call function. not all the bells and whistles of smartphones today but certainly as much as the earlier smartphones a few years after.

D/P: Release 2006 (jp) 2007 (WW except korea)
A watch, a watch with tons of applications to do many things like check happiness, measure steps taken, a calculator, a counter, tossing a coin and so on. few years later we would get Smart Watches IRL which do basically the same thing.

B/W: Release 2010
Up to this point while online chatting existed video chat was still in its infancy, then B/W brings the Xtranceiver to allow any time video chat through a small handheld device. and today? most laptops can video chat with ease, as can a lot of smartphones.

if this pattern is anything to go by don't be surprised with holographic communication in a few years time.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
It's not surprising as so many technological advances come from Japan that they can predict what devices will be doing in a few years.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I never looked at it like this, now I realize Pok?mon predicted quite some technological advances. But then again, a lot of other series have done that, too. It's what happens when you have artistic liberty with technology.

I wonder if they imagined that these things would become reality in the future...

Days
  • Seen Dec 21, 2023
All this may be true , but still not seeing no pikachus running about 😔😮‍💨

Years
Meh, I think this is giving Pokemon a bit too much credit.

Not many people had Mobile/Cell phones and i know a fair few thought it would be a fad that would eventually die down but pokemon knew better giving the player a basic phone with radio and sound playback as well as call functionality all of which would be standard in phones a few years later.
Yes, but you have to keep in mind that Pokemon is developed in Japan; which adopted mobile phones a lot earlier then Europe/America.

we upgrade the basic cell phone into a better "Smarter" phone with a built in map, the ability to check things like your pokemon's contest stats, and an improved call function. not all the bells and whistles of smartphones today but certainly as much as the earlier smartphones a few years after.
Palm Pilots (which the Pokenav is clearly based off) existed as far back as 1997, and while they couldn't make calls. It wasn't really a stretch to image that a device like the Pokenav could exist IRL circa 2002

A watch, a watch with tons of applications to do many things like check happiness, measure steps taken, a calculator, a counter, tossing a coin and so on. few years later we would get Smart Watches IRL which do basically the same thing.
I'll give you that one, I don't believe there were any widely used smart-watches back then (even in Japan) until ~2013 or so. So DP were around 5/6 years ahead of their time.

Up to this point while online chatting existed video chat was still in its infancy, then B/W brings the Xtranceiver to allow any time video chat through a small handheld device. and today? most laptops can video chat with ease, as can a lot of smartphones.
Skype for iPhone launched in December 2010, while BW came out in September 2010 (JP only). Considering the pace of advancement during that time and the fact that Skype for desktop had already existed for 5+ years. It's hard to credit BW for being 3 months ahead of actual mobile video chatting.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Resurrected the thread from over six years ago. Dates it back to pre-Sword/Shield. May have different views on Pokemon technology with the release of two more generations (despite the original post's focus mainly being on the first five generations). Feels better to start fresh. Locks this thread.

Welcomes anyone still interested in discussing this topic to create a new thread on the matter, to be clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back