• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
finished up One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey recently. Absolutely phenomenal book, if anyone's interested in novels concerning mental hospitals and crazy people then look no further. (0: The ending is brilliantly written and shocking as well.

gonna read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green now. It's my second time reading it, I knocked out the first 100 pages yesterday. Great book.

Years
I'm reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry. It's a little bit hard to follow in the beginning but it's a great dystopian that teaches a lesson.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Working through LotR again. I re-read them all once every few years because they really just haven't stuck with me. And considering how much other media is influenced by Tolkien, I feel like I should actually take it in properly. So I'm about a third of the way through Fellowship. Like, I do enjoy these books mostly, but they're hard to follow. :|

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Planning on reading 50 shades of grey at least once. God give me strength.
Then I shall read as many Stephen King books. Maybe Insomnia and The Talisman. Also Pet sematery.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I'm currently reading "In Cold Blood' for a literary project. It's a non-fiction book based on a murder of 4 people in a small town called Holcomb. It's a pretty interesting read so far, however my girlfriend has been reading it mostly. I told her I'd let her finish first then I'll read after. I'll probably be done by the end of this weekend.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
While not really a book, I am reading an MLP fanfiction called Blue Angel.

Or if that's not an acceptable answer, I am taking my time re-reading Christopher Paolini's Brisingr from the Inheritance Cycle.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Chosen of the Gods by Chris Pierson. This is a DragonLance book I actually enjoy! But I guess that's because Pierson's writing is decent and this book starts a trilogy on a subject I'm interested in. So I'm enjoying this book quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the next two books in this trilogy.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Not reading anything right now. Did read American Psycho a week ago though, which is a nice book if you're tolerant to really squick-y stuff. I guess I'm hyped up for the last Skulduggery Pleasant book, which is supposed to be coming out in the latter half of this year. Love that series, so I'll be kinda sad to see it go. Maybe it'll give time for Derek Landy to work on other novels.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
I have so many books and no time to read them all. Its a horrible problem. I spend too much money on books. I always like to have real books too, not digital, so they take up space too. I've just finished Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski most recently and I think it really provides some background for the rest of his work so I might reread some of his short stories again. I know its not quite autobiographical but its fiction is based in his own personal life experiences. I think my next book from my pile of books I've bought and never read is going to be Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Some day I'm going to read Make Room! Make Room! By Harry Harrison. I've never found it in any bookstore or library ever and I guess I could some day buy it online but that's not as fun as the feeling when you finally find that one book you've been searching for.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori. Which volume, you ask? Well. . . that's a good question. . . I'm flying through them. . . Volume Twelve I think?

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
I'm almost finished reading The Restaurant at the End of The Universe (The sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). I'm also reading A Brief History of Time and A Game of Thrones.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I finished the Kingpriest trilogy from DragonLance and am now heading into the standalone books. Except for one last trilogy to read.

Right now, I'm reading the Lioness by Nancy Varian Berberick. I really can't get into Berberick's writing. Of course, it doesn't help that this book was published towards the end of DragonLance's popularity, so I don't think anyone thought to give it a good proof-reading before it hit the shelves. Typos everywhere.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Currently reading A Feast for Crows in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I just finished up A Storm of Swords and can already tell that A Feast for Crows follows a slightly different path than that.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I recently received a copy of The Yellow Fairy Book by Andrew Lang from my older sister - my friends and I are reading them. I already have two of his other books (the Blue and Grey Fairy Books). There's a lot of awesome stories in there. It's such a good book - it's full of fairy tales I've never even heard of. (It gets boring reading the same old ones all the time. I want something different.)

Believe me, fairy tales aren't just for kids.

I also read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz last week. I read it when I was 12, and I decided to re-read it. It's a great book - it's a lot better than the movie.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Recently finished the memoir, Red China Blues, which is about a Chinese-Canadian girl's transformation from Maoism to freedom.

Years
I just finished two dramas (For school but still) - Physics (This one is so complicated - it's comedy in a way but it's still complicated - about some people that pretend that they are inventors and that they see things so they can go to the mental hospital and stay there inventing bombs- because if they'd stay outside the government would use them and they'd kill a lot of people), second one was Hamlet - It takes a while to get used to the way Shakespeare wrote - a lot of monologs too - but once you do you enjoy it! Honestly Hamlet is currently one of my favourite books.

What I am currently reading out of novels? I got last book from Inheritance cycle by Paolini for my b-day - and I am working through that. It takes a while to get used to him switching between characters etc. and it takes a while to get used to character's names pronouncing aswell - but it's sure worth it because I love that book! Currently somewhere in the middle - around 400 pages to go but we will get there soon :3

I also ordered Vampire academy 5, The adventures of Huckleberry Fynn and Look back in anger few days ago so I am defenitely looking forward to reading those books too ^^

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
So I didnt pick up Cloud Atlas, but Drawing Blood instead by Poppy Z. Brite. To anyone else wanting to make that decision, don't. It's so dated. Its from 1993 so I understand it would have seemed more realistic in those days but now it's aged miserably, like a child star. I've spent more time laughing than reading.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I haven't done too much reading, though I read a fairy tale online the other day. It's called Princess Belle-Etoile. It's a great story, and it is very long - the story is over 18,000 words long (I put it in Word to see the word count). Ashley has a book with a shortened version - it's a picture book that's a reprint of a very old picture book from the start of the 20th century. The long version is definitely not a kid's story - it's pretty violent and the titular princess gets married to her double first cousin at the end.

I recently bought a book called Aimee. It's by a woman named Mary Beth Miller. I can't wait to read it - I heard it's dark.

Back