• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with choosing next game

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 2, 2018
I want to ask my dad if I could possibly get a new game, but I don't know if I want Pokemon Platinum or Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver. I want one of those three since the newer games are fairly easy and I have never played a generation older than 5th gen. It would help a lot if someone would be willing to help.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I want to ask my dad if I could possibly get a new game, but I don't know if I want Pokemon Platinum or Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver. I want one of those three since the newer games are fairly easy and I have never played a generation older than 5th gen. It would help a lot if someone would be willing to help.
Both Platinum and HG/SS are good stuff, so it's not like there's one that's a clear winner to me to advise you to get.

I suppose it comes down to which region you're more in the mood to try, or any other little details on your preferences that may be able to help us/you decide which one to get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 2, 2018
Both Platinum and HG/SS are good stuff, so it's not like there's one that's a clear winner to me to advise you to get.

I suppose it comes down to which region you're more in the mood to try, or any other little details on your preferences that may be able to help us/you decide which one to get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I heard both of those games aren't really good with grinding, which does concern me a little bit. Apparently Platinum improved from some of Pearl and Diamond's problems. I'd like at least some good choices for most types. Platinum has few fire types. I have wanted SS/GG for a good while now, but Platinum also is of interest to me. I'm leaning more towards the game that has better grinding material and more pokemon from each type to choose from.

Also, what starters are best for the respective games? I know Pokemon is something you should enjoy at your own pace, but I would prefer to know which ones have an advantage.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I heard both of those games aren't really good with grinding, which does concern me a little bit. Apparently Platinum improved from some of Pearl and Diamond's problems. I'd like at least some good choices for most types. Platinum has few fire types. I have wanted SS/GG for a good while now, but Platinum also is of interest to me. I'm leaning more towards the game that has better grinding material and more pokemon from each type to choose from.

Also, what starters are best for the respective games? I know Pokemon is something you should enjoy at your own pace, but I would prefer to know which ones have an advantage.

Platinum is the latest and greatest Generation 4 game(until they do a remake, which I think is coming soon. Cynthia would be a real badass with a Mega Garchomp). The starters are Turtwig, Piplup and Chimchar. The Gym Leaders, in terms of type, are Rock, Grass, Ghost, Fighting, Water, Steel, Ice and Electric. Ash did the Gyms out of order in the Anime btw(which I suggest you watch if you want to get an idea as to what you'll be up against). The best starter is purely subjective or up to personal tastes but considering the lack of good Fire types in Generation 4(and the fact it evolves into a bad-ass), I'd go with Chimchar. You'll just have to get an early game counter for Roark's Rock types since Chimchar can help you beat five of the next 6 Gyms(three in which he's Super effective).

As for HeartGold/SoulSilver, it's Generation 2 remake under Generation 4 parameters(hence newer moves are available and even some newer Pokemon like Ralts). Starters are Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile. Gym Leaders, by type, are Flying, Bug, Normal(Word of caution with Whitney), Ghost, Fighting, Steel, Ice and Dragon. Chikorita is widely considered to be a bad choice due to the early Gyms(and the fact the other two options are just better). It all comes down to what you prefer more: Water or Fire. I'd go with Cyndaquil simply because he's Super effective against 3 of the Gym Leaders(and again evolves into a bad-ass).

Years
HeartGold is one of my favorite Pokemon games of all-time, though I might have a slight bias towards that as I grew up a big Pokemon Gold fan. It made so many small improvements on the originals, which made the story feel brand new again, even if it was basically the same thing.

Pokemon Platinum was also an improvement over Pearl/Diamond, with the game running a lot smoother than those, while reintroducing great features like the Battle Frontier, and giving you cool places to explore like the Distortion World, which is still by far my favorite location in any of the Pokemon games to date. You also get the added functionality of the Poketch on the lower screen of the DS, while HG/SS didn't use that opportunity to their advantage.

If you haven't played anything before Black and White, then my final suggestion would lean towards Platinum. I personally prefer HG, but you might get more out of it if you play a game like Fire Red or Leaf Green before moving on to HeartGold/SoulSilver, to kind of give you a better understanding of the Kanto region, and some of the characters that you come across during your journey.

Back