• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Expectations are too High!

Years
I'm not sure really? I guess my loved ones just expect me to be a good person and a loving kid?
My dad has higher expectations, and I can fulfill them, I just need more confidence.

pkmin3033

I have long since stopped paying attention to what others expect of me - it's their problem to work out and really nothing to do with me if they decide to start projecting things onto me that they think I should adhere to. I don't exist to fulfil other people's whims.

Now, my own expectations of myself, that's another story...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Very little expectations, so I mostly motivate myself to do things.

Bay

Years
Yeah I feel my family has high expectations of me, both career wise and the way I behaved. When I wasn't able to get into finance after I graduated, I get the feeling my parents were kinda disappointed in me. They're a bit more strict on how I behave. If I don't behave in x kind of way, then it means I'm still a child.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Sometimes I do get annoyed when my dad tries to keep me on track or the whole "You've got make sure you do things the best you can." Though I know and have heard him say he believes I'm hard worker and talented.

Frankly, I think I'm my worst critic. Hell, I can be worse upon myself in bar setting than anybody I've met so far.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Entirely too little, all around. It was more than a lack of expectations in life, it actually made things more difficult because it meant nobody was interested in challenging me to think. I grew lazy and complacent, everything was boring and I started learning less and less as time went on. Public education is not a place to send your children.

Since growing up, I have learned that my family does not care much for whether I succeed at all. Their approach for a time was to plan for my eventual landing into some kind of day services institution. I think a big factor as to why I was not relegated to the status of such a colossal failure has to do with my mother dismissing such suggestions from her peers, because she understood that I have a high aptitude and she does not want it to be wasted. While she didn't provide very well for my ascent into realising that, she cared enough to forbid anyone from closing that door for me, and I'm glad she did that. Sometimes it's less about wanting what you don't have and protecting what you don't want to lose.

These days, it has been a big question to answer, what to expect out of myself since nobody else really does. I expect the world out of myself, but I don't let it weigh me down either. It's also a mutual self-expecation I share with my husband, since we do just about everything together and share all of the same milestones and life goals, both past and future, more or less. Him and I check each other where we can for blind spots, and I guess I can say we're well on our way.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm realizing that I've been a little oblivious to this as of late.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i have high expectations of myself when it comes to academic stuff, and so do my parents somewhat. every other thing though i dont really have expectations of myself. my mom does want me to be more independent and stuff though but.. ill figure that out.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
people have waaay too many expectations for me that are... quite frankly, hard for me to do. i don't think people understand that some of my obscure mental and physical disabilities make me sort of just. unable to do things. it's frustrating.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I don't really expect anything of anyone, normally. Until they do something where I find something needs to change, then I have an expectation for them to make that change.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
On a scale of 4 to 10 my average English grades have been all 9-10 so if I get slightly less than that, people gasp and wonder what I did so wrong. It's nothing major so it's slightly irritating at most.

As for my expectations for others, I don't really expect much. Most importantly I expect people to have a basic amount of politeness yet sometimes it feels like even that is way too much to ask.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
My parents expect me not to make them angry. When do they get angry? ...Sometimes.

My real life friends usually don't expect much from me and just seem to like me for some reason.

I expect myself less than 75% a loser in life, so I've yet to reach my expectations.

Years
Honestly nobody expect more from me than myself. I'm constantly disappointed in how little I have achieved in my life.

Back