• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I asked it before, but I didn't get a for sure answer, so what's the color limit for tiles?

There are fifteen colours which you can use in each tile pallet plus a transparent colour in the first slot. The pallets 0-6 are for the first tileset being used, while the others are for the second.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I wasn't exactly sure what terms to use when searching for it...
How do you make a script show a picture of a Pokemon?
EX: When choosing starter, Fuschia City Zoo

The command for that is 'showpokepic' in XSE and has this structure:
Code:
showpokepic [Pokemon HEX number] [X-coordinate] [Y-coordinate]

For example, if I wanted to show a Pikachu in the centre of the screen, I would use: showpokepic 0x19 0xA 0x3

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Does anyone know how to edit the grass tile animation? I've inserted some new grass tiles but I need to change the animation for when you step on it.

What game are you hacking?

check asmknowledge 0x1
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @canmakeallthreethingsyouasked
end

#org @canmakeallthreethingsyouasked
callasm 0xWOOT
return

It should probably just be:

Code:
compare ASMKNOWLEDGE B_TRUE
if B_== goto canmakeallthreethingsyouasked

... :D

I've asked this question before, but different people said different things and I didn't get a strait answer so here we go.

Is it safe to increase the number of warps/person events/script events on a map, or increasing the size of the map without repointing data? And if not, how would I go about repointing the data? I didn't see any offsets for the raw map data listed in A-Map.

You'll have to repoint if you don't want to overwrite other data. Though AdvanceMap automatically repoints if I'm not mistaken.

I asked it before, but I didn't get a for sure answer, so what's the color limit for tiles?

Assuming you're not doing extensive hacking to enable 256 color mode in the Overworld, each of the sixteen palettes contains 16 colors (though the first color in each palette is always transparent).

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I wasn't exactly sure what terms to use when searching for it...
How do you make a script show a picture of a Pokemon?
EX: When choosing starter, Fuschia City Zoo

You're looking for the 'showpokepic' command. Just remember to follow it up with a 'hidepokepic' command later in the script.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 31, 2017
There are fifteen colours which you can use in each tile pallet plus a transparent colour in the first slot. The pallets 0-6 are for the first tileset being used, while the others are for the second.

The command for that is 'showpokepic' in XSE and has this structure:
Code:
showpokepic [Pokemon HEX number] [X-coordinate] [Y-coordinate]
For example, if I wanted to show a Pikachu in the centre of the screen, I would use: showpokepic 0x19 0xA 0x3

Okay, I tried that. But just a small box showed up in the top right corner and the game froze. BTW, I'm using Poketscript.

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Quick question on RBY hacking. Anyone know where/how a Pokémon's TM compatibility is stored? If I wanted to, for instance, make Surf a compatible HM for Pikachu, how would I go about doing it?
Pokémon stats start at offset 0x383DE in Red. They are 28 bytes long and in order of Pokédex number (so Bulbasaur's data comes first, then Ivysaur's…)
  • Byte 1: Pokédex number.
  • Bytes 2–6: Base stats, HP/Attack/Defense/Speed/Special.
  • Bytes 7–8: Types.
  • Byte 9: Resistance to being caught.
  • Byte 10: Experience growth rate.
  • Byte 11: Picture height/width.
  • Bytes 12–13, 14–15: Pointers to the image.
  • Bytes 16–19: Attacks known at level 1.
  • I don't know byte 20.
  • Bytes 21–28: What TMs the Pokémon learns.
TMs are represented by boolean flags. The first byte (byte 21) represents TMs 01–08. In Bulbasaur's case, this is 0xA4, or 10100100 in binary, so Bulbasaur learns TM03, TM06, and TM08, but not 1, 2, 4, 5, or 7.
Also, another quick Q. Has anyone made a trainer editor for RB (or GY, for that matter)? I can hex edit them but it's a bit of a hassle.
I think there are some. But I would recommend you do it in hex anyway, because typically they don't let you add new trainers or more Pokémon. Also, the format is a little obscure and editors might not support it correctly.
It's curious to me that the hacking resources of RBY are so thin.
You just have to know where to look.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2011
Alrighty, I'm modifying FireRed right now. One thing I haven't been able to find, is the offset for the overworld Flash effect, or similarly the you're-in-a-cave-without-flash darkness effect, or similarly the animation for said HM.

A-Text gives me the "Light up darkness." for the HM description, which doesn't help as all adjacent text is the same but with Strength, Rock Smash etc. It also gives me "\v[&H02] used the Hidden Move FLASH and illuminated a pitch-black cave." which seems to be the text given immediately after Flash is used (?), but again the adjacent text is just the same but with the next few HM moves (Rock Smash, Surf, etc).

There's always the possibility of just activating Flash and instead editing the image used as a screen, whether it's a circle used as a transparency mask (probable, since the circle expands when you use Flash) or only the black outside part (less probable); but again I wouldn't know how to locate it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, that makes sense, the demo is pretty clear too, but it doesn't really help me figure out what to do about it. Thanks for the info though.

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2011
The palettes that I was referring to are the ones on the right side (under the "Sprite" section"). Though there aren't numbers for the palettes, each row is a palette. So Palette 0 would be the first row, Palette 1 would be the second row, and so forth. If you compare the third row (Palette 2) with the seventh row (Palette 6), you should notice that the seventh row just looks like a washed out version of the third row.

I think the flying pokemon sprite is at '0x4fbaf8'. Can you check that and make sure that we're thinking of the same thing?
Brilliant! thank you so much. and that's everything I need! I wonder how you lot know where to find these darlings though? Since it's not in NSE either.

RE the palette o yea, I've had to try and guess before which row belonged to the sprite I'm replacing, and manually put the colour into APE. But when you click save, it seems to save a random palette of it's liking.

p.s happy new year everyone

ville!

Abbysus, abbysus invocat!
Years
hi... i have a question, how can i edit the moves that a pokemon learn by levels in gsc roms?, and, is possible to edit the sprites in gsc, to change some pokemons?

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
Hello there! Sorry to be asking so many questions.. I tried to edit the Pokemon sprites using unLZ GBA. I edited Bulbasaur's front and back sprite.

However, when I went to play the game- Bulbasaur's back sprite didn't change at all, and it's front sprite's palette changed completely to a blue-red-ish color.
(I'd post a picture, but I'm not allowed to..)

I'd be grateful if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong, thank-you!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Hi, I'm thinking of starting a hack in the next few months and was wondering. Is it possible to script an event or something where the a new area is discovered on the map. Like there are four mainlands and in the center there is an ocean, but after a script, a new island appears on the map. Also, if you go there before that event, the island can't be there.

1st Gen FTW

We only need 151.
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2011
My question was skipped (I hope it's okay to quote this for this reason :\)
Is there any way to make Fire Red have more than one battle theme? For example, have a regular battle theme, gym leader theme, champion theme and maybe a rival theme? If so can you do it more than once?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
I need the palette offset of the back sprite of the hero.

Greetings!!

I'm pretty sure NSE has it as a bookmark, have a look in the toolbox section.

Hello there! Sorry to be asking so many questions.. I tried to edit the Pokemon sprites using unLZ GBA. I edited Bulbasaur's front and back sprite.

However, when I went to play the game- Bulbasaur's back sprite didn't change at all, and it's front sprite's palette changed completely to a blue-red-ish color.
(I'd post a picture, but I'm not allowed to..)

I'd be grateful if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong, thank-you!

Where you using Unlz-GBA? If so, and you might've forgot to check the *import image" and only clicked "import palette".

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
@Washibon
I suggest you using Wichu's Advanced Series for sprites. It always works for me properly,and it's very easy to use.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I need the palette offset of the back sprite of the hero.

Greetings!!
In Nameless Sprite Editor, there's a bookmark section where the FR/LG backsprites are.

Hi, I'm thinking of starting a hack in the next few months and was wondering. Is it possible to script an event or something where the a new area is discovered on the map. Like there are four mainlands and in the center there is an ocean, but after a script, a new island appears on the map. Also, if you go there before that event, the island can't be there.
It could be possible... You probably would need ASM, though.

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Yes, there are in NSE, but this happens:
spritej.png

0102k.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back