• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lava Surfing

Years
Note before you add this: PokeCommunity's formatting breaks scripts. To avoid unnecessary errors, please click Thread Tools and use the Show Printable Version tool. This will show the raw text data in the post, without all the formatting. If you comment on this with a syntax error after I've told you how to solve this, I will not respond.

Follow all these instructions, and you'll be surfing on lava very soon!

In Settings, under
Spoiler:

In Game_Map, under
Spoiler:
In Game_Player , add the red parts to the following methods
Spoiler:

In Sprite_Character, in def update add the red parts
Spoiler:

In Walk_Run add the red part to pbCanRun?
Spoiler:
then (same section) under def character_name add the red part
Spoiler:
In PokeBattle_ActualScene add the red part
This just allows you to have a lava base during battles
Spoiler:

In PokemonField, under module PBTerrain, add the red part
Spoiler:

Right after this module ends, add
Spoiler:

Same section, add the red part to def Kernel.pbUpdateVehicle
Spoiler:

Next add the red part to def Kernel.pbCancelVehicle
Spoiler:

Replace def pbFishingBegin and def pbFishingEnd
Spoiler:

Between the sections for Surf and Waterfall in PokemonHiddenMoves, add this whole thing
Spoiler:

In PokemonMap under class PokemonGlobalMetadata, add the red part
Spoiler:
Slightly lower under def initialize, add the red part
Spoiler:

Lastly, same section, under Module PokemonMetadata replace this part
Spoiler:

And that's all the coding part. Three other things you will need to do.
1. Add Lava Surf as a move to moves.txt
Spoiler:
2. Add a filepath for each character in your metadata.txt (red part is the addition)
I'm just using the default surfing graphic, you can use a special graphic or whatever
Spoiler:

3. Just like with bridges, you'll have to add the terrain tag to lava tiles through the Editor. Otherwise they won't be seen as lava tags. Don't forget that the terrain tag has to be added to the tile individually on each tileset.

4. (Optional) Make Lava Surf a tm/hm move. I didn't provide this, but you can just basically copy surf and rename it.

I've provided a 4th gen style lava autotile you can use (credit to rayquaza_dot)
B8Di70U.png

Note that while this allows for the graphics to change and work for fishing, this does not enable fishing while lava surfing, because I think that's just silly.
Tutorial is written for v15, untested for previous versions.

Last edited:
Years
thank you so much for making this, i tried doing this myself but i just couldnt get it to work properly, ill deff try this out when i can!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
That's gen 4 style lava - regardless, its a nice tutorial, I didn't realize theres so much that goes into it, hahah, good work.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 2, 2015
What terrain tag should the lava be? Also, how do you change the surf sprite and the lava surf sprite?

Years
What terrain tag should the lava be? Also, how do you change the surf sprite and the lava surf sprite?

Terrain tag can be whatever unused number, just be consistent. The sprite used will be defined in your metadata.txt. I've mentioned these in the main post, please read thoroughly before asking questions.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 2, 2015
Terrain tag can be whatever unused number, just be consistent. The sprite used will be defined in your metadata.txt. I've mentioned these in the main post, please read thoroughly before asking questions.

I found an unused terrain tag, but how do you make it for lava surfing?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I found an unused terrain tag, but how do you make it for lava surfing?
Did you read the OP?

"In PokemonField, under module PBTerrain, add the red part
Code:
Bridge          = 15
Lava            = 16
16 can be a different number if you've added other tiles. As long as it's defined separately from other tiles."

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 2, 2015
Did you read the OP?

"In PokemonField, under module PBTerrain, add the red part
Code:
Bridge          = 15
Lava            = 16
16 can be a different number if you've added other tiles. As long as it's defined separately from other tiles."

Not what I meant. In the database, there are only 7 terrain tags. How do you set it to 16?

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Not what I meant. In the database, there are only 7 terrain tags. How do you set it to 16?

You have to go into the Pokemon Essentials Editor. From there you can change the Terrain Tag from 0-99

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Thanks for the guide!

I had a bit of a hard time following it though since Pokemon Essentials has changed so much since it was written (and like, all of the script sections got renamed for some reason...).

----
Anyways, I wanted some custom assets to use with lava surfing though, so I went ahead and made an autotile of the Gen III lava assets from R/S/E, as well as custom lava surf and lava fish-surf sprites for the male and female PC.

I'm gonna upload em here in case anyone else wants to use em! ;3

xdtnptj.gif

Attachments

• boy_fishlavasurf_offset.png
    boy_fishlavasurf_offset.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 27
  • boy_lavasurf_offset.png
    boy_lavasurf_offset.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 29
  • girl_fishlavasurf_offset.png
    girl_fishlavasurf_offset.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 22
  • girl_lavasurf_offset.png
    girl_lavasurf_offset.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 19
  • lava3.png
    lava3.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 35
  • GIF.gif
    GIF.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
  • LavaSurf_Prev01.jpg
    LavaSurf_Prev01.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

YashPokeFan123

#PokeFan
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 28, 2023
Where to get lava surf script for essentials 18.1.

Where to get lava surf script for essentials 18.1.

YashPokeFan123

#PokeFan
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 28, 2023
Note before you add this: PokeCommunity's formatting breaks scripts. To avoid unnecessary errors, please click Thread Tools and use the Show Printable Version tool. This will show the raw text data in the post, without all the formatting. If you comment on this with a syntax error after I've told you how to solve this, I will not respond.

Follow all these instructions, and you'll be surfing on lava very soon!

In Settings, under
Spoiler:

In Game_Map, under
Spoiler:
In Game_Player , add the red parts to the following methods
Spoiler:

In Sprite_Character, in def update add the red parts
Spoiler:

In Walk_Run add the red part to pbCanRun?
Spoiler:
then (same section) under def character_name add the red part
Spoiler:
In PokeBattle_ActualScene add the red part
This just allows you to have a lava base during battles
Spoiler:

In PokemonField, under module PBTerrain, add the red part
Spoiler:

Right after this module ends, add
Spoiler:

Same section, add the red part to def Kernel.pbUpdateVehicle
Spoiler:

Next add the red part to def Kernel.pbCancelVehicle
Spoiler:

Replace def pbFishingBegin and def pbFishingEnd
Spoiler:

Between the sections for Surf and Waterfall in PokemonHiddenMoves, add this whole thing
Spoiler:

In PokemonMap under class PokemonGlobalMetadata, add the red part
Spoiler:
Slightly lower under def initialize, add the red part
Spoiler:

Lastly, same section, under Module PokemonMetadata replace this part
Spoiler:

And that's all the coding part. Three other things you will need to do.
1. Add Lava Surf as a move to moves.txt
Spoiler:
2. Add a filepath for each character in your metadata.txt (red part is the addition)
I'm just using the default surfing graphic, you can use a special graphic or whatever
Spoiler:

3. Just like with bridges, you'll have to add the terrain tag to lava tiles through the Editor. Otherwise they won't be seen as lava tags. Don't forget that the terrain tag has to be added to the tile individually on each tileset.

4. (Optional) Make Lava Surf a tm/hm move. I didn't provide this, but you can just basically copy surf and rename it.

I've provided a 4th gen style lava autotile you can use (credit to rayquaza_dot)
B8Di70U.png

Note that while this allows for the graphics to change and work for fishing, this does not enable fishing while lava surfing, because I think that's just silly.
Tutorial is written for v15, untested for previous versions.

hey mej71 plz plz make lava surf for pokemon essentials 18.1

Back