• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well if people don't like it then they don't like it, haha.

Secret: I don't like Star Wars. There, I said it. Now you can all hate on me instead :3

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
People are allowed to have opinions, yeah, but it irritates me that those derisive opinions are spread everywhere with no actual reasoning behind them. And that particular one was encompassing more than the anime, which yes, does get boring and stale at times. And the rudeness part was alluding to more than just terribly executed criticisms of Pokémon, although probably rudeness was not the correct word and I should have just stuck with 'ridiculousness'.
Well I actually used to hate the BW anime arc, but I've recently grown to like it a lot so I kinda changed my mind. However, resetting Ash was pointless and stupid on their behalf and I hate them for it. Absolutely hate them. Also, I hate Iris. Rather, the dubbed version of Iris :p
She's rude and arrogant and overall too b****y for my taste.
Well if people don't like it then they don't like it, haha.

Secret: I don't like Star Wars. There, I said it. Now you can all hate on me instead :3
You are dead to me.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015

Why should I hate you for not liking Star Wars? That franchise should've died a long time ago, but nope! They've got to keep bringing life into it, even though it's already brain-dead...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Seriously Pedro. I'm kind of a bad person in that the more something is hyped, the more...my head is like "well screw you then, I'm not liking this". So for years and years people ragged on me for not watching Star Wars, up to my boyfriend having me marathon them all one night, and by then I just was basically conditioned to have a negative reaction to them. It doesn't help that for the most part I'm under the distinct impression that if no one my age had grown up with them, they would hate them. So then they're all like "OH THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE YOU'LL LOVE IT" when what they really should be saying is "I love this movie because it's nostalgic, but you probably won't because you never saw it as a kid."

tl;dr I'm a bad person

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
So you- Blade_of_darkness- dislike the entirety of the franchise because they keep making new stuff, rather than liking some bits and not liking others?

@Toujours idk about people only liking Star Wars because they've grown up with it. I've heard the same said about Classic Who, but I know a buttload of people who weren't even born before its original cancellation that adore the heck out of it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm with you, Toujours. I've now seen five of the six Star Wars movies (Episodes I-V, haven't seen VI) and I just don't understand the appeal. They must have been great for their time, but it's certainly not special enough to warrant the screaming fandom imo.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So you- Blade_of_darkness- dislike the entirety of the franchise because they keep making new stuff, rather than liking some bits and not liking others?

@Toujours idk about people only liking Star Wars because they've grown up with it. I've heard the same said about Classic Who, but I know a buttload of people who weren't even born before its original cancellation that adore the heck out of it.

Well there are always exceptions to the rule, people that like older things, or can tolerate them and have very specific tastes. But I feel like the vast majority of thinking Star Wars is great is due to nostalgia.

Echidna

Years
Seriously Pedro. I'm kind of a bad person in that the more something is hyped, the more...my head is like "well screw you then, I'm not liking this". So for years and years people ragged on me for not watching Star Wars, up to my boyfriend having me marathon them all one night, and by then I just was basically conditioned to have a negative reaction to them. It doesn't help that for the most part I'm under the distinct impression that if no one my age had grown up with them, they would hate them. So then they're all like "OH THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE YOU'LL LOVE IT" when what they really should be saying is "I love this movie because it's nostalgic, but you probably won't because you never saw it as a kid."

tl;dr I'm a bad person

I'm with you, Toujours. I've now seen five of the six Star Wars movies (Episodes I-V, haven't seen VI) and I just don't understand the appeal. They must have been great for their time, but it's certainly not special enough to warrant the screaming fandom imo.

@Touj: No you're not D: I'm just really surprised is all.
I saw the movies 2 years ago actually. My story is kinda similar to yours, I never actually saw them as a kid and people were always talking about them so I checked them out. I loved them!
Then again I've always been a 'classics' kinda guy, old popular stuff amuses me lmao.

@Andy: I don't know you anymore... jkjk. :p <3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
No I acknowledge that my internalized hipster tendencies are really bad. I'm just not sure how to go about changing them, because it's hard to force yourself to feel something different than you do.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I like them, though I don't get the huge fan craze over them either. They were never meant to be very deep or anything, just sort of well made fantasy/scifi/adventure movies. Though I guess what sends people crazy could be the expanded universe it's got. There are some pretty awesome Star Wars books out there.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Honestly, the biggest issue I have with Star Wars is the fact that I always confuse it with Star Trek. And then I get annoyed cause I don't know what is what. :I

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Ah yes expanded universe! the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy was frickin amazing <3

...I don't expect anyone to have read them or even heard of them but they were great believe me. :D

Also Star Trek is something I never really got into but I feel like I should watch the originals because I saw one episode from it and it was actually really good so. Someday.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Don't worry Toujours, I still love/hate you no matter your opinion on Star Wars.

Bloodex, you should watch them. Even if you find you dislike them you should respect the classics.

The depth of any movie, song, show, book, or whatever you're looking at depends entirerly on your perspective.

How about Indiana Jones, opinions?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Honestly, the biggest issue I have with Star Wars is the fact that I always confuse it with Star Trek. And then I get annoyed cause I don't know what is what. :I

Star Trek's kinda boring sci-fi while Star Wars is basically a fantasy story in space. Star Trek was always the difficult (and boring) one for me.

...I don't expect anyone to have read them or even heard of them but they were great believe me. :D
Yo! I first read those a few years ago, good stuff. Gonna be reading Outbound Flight soon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oooh Outbound Flight was awesome. <3 Maybe I just really like Timothy Zahn haha. And now I want to go re-read all of his books oh man.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Bloodex, you should watch them. Even if you find you dislike them you should respect the classics.

Never said I disliked it, I just never saw it lol.

Star Trek's kinda boring sci-fi while Star Wars is basically a fantasy story in space. Star Trek was always the difficult (and boring) one for me.

Yeah, I hear a lot of poop about Star Trek. :c

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Oooh Outbound Flight was awesome. <3 Maybe I just really like Timothy Zahn haha. And now I want to go re-read all of his books oh man.

Dude, yeah, his stuff is preeeetty darn awesome. I mean, people say he's obsessed with Thrawn, but the guy's a really strong character.

Man, speaking of zombies, Death Troopers is a fun book too. Basically Star Wars with zombies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Right with you on that one. :D

Also I did a kind of dumb thing just now but I have spending money and I want these so it's okay I think.

Spoiler:

Echidna

Years
Don't worry Toujours, I still love/hate you no matter your opinion on Star Wars.
.__.
How about Indiana Jones, opinions?
Oh I love the Indiana Jones franchise! Seen every single one and I hope they make a fifth because the whole selling of Lucas Film kept matters in the air, and we have no idea if they will make one even though there were originally some plans for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back