• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

A Cry Editor (needs a catchy name)

I've created a simple tool to easily allow the editing of cries in the 3rd generation games. Pretty straightforward. The tool is currently usable but is definitely still in development.

Features

• Import/export cries as WAV files.
  • Cries can be saved compressed or uncompressed.
  • Repoints a cry only when it needs to, and overwrites the old cry with freespace.
  • Should update growl table as well as cry table.
  • Correctly loads Hoenn Pokémon.
  • Cry playback.

A note about the compression (read more here): because of how the compression format works, the range of sound a cry can have is limited compared to the uncompressed format. When importing a new cry, compressing it can lead to the sound quality being lowered/sounding odd. Unless you're sure it will sound correct, be sure to save imported cries as NOT compressed.

Spoiler:

Screens

Spoiler:

Downloads

Latest Release: Here
Latest ROMs.ini: Here

Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework (4.6.2) installed on your machine.

Last edited:

PankajBlitz

Taiyoh!
Years
The tools look great easy for beginners like me.

Small question

Is it necessary to compress the cry or we can rather just import a wav?

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
The tools look great easy for beginners like me.

Small question

Is it necessary to compress the cry or we can rather just import a wav?

You can import a wav and then it's up to you whether it is compressed or not. Like I said in the first post, compressing an imported cry can lead to it being a bit distorted so you usually do not want to.

ScraggyKing20

electivire deserves better
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2022
Do you know when there might be a possible release for BPEE support?

ScraggyKing20

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2022
Technically BPEE is supported, it just needs an entry in the .ini. :) I'll try and put it together later today for ya.

But really, take your time, I'm not in a rush ^^

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I've updated the program, Japanese games should now be supported and the download includes all English games plus BPRJ in the .ini. Not a major update for anyone that downloaded v1.0 and not a necessary upgrade unless you want to work in Japanese.

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Thank you. Now I can be lazy again when editing Pokemon cries. It's a pain to use the Hex Editor.
But seriously, does this tool have support for expanded Pokemon cries? Is it just a matter of editing the offsets in the .ini file?

ScraggyKing20

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2022
Actually, I've already prepared it. :)
Grab the latest .ini here.

This is going to be a huge help :D

I tried using a hex editor but it didn't work out so well, but hopefully this tool will change all that! Thanks a bunch :)

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Finally it can support Hoenn Pokemon too and I don't have to hex edit every single one of them to insert a cry. This is great.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Thank you. Now I can be lazy again when editing Pokemon cries. It's a pain to use the Hex Editor.
But seriously, does this tool have support for expanded Pokemon cries? Is it just a matter of editing the offsets in the .ini file?

It should work with expanded cries by editing the .ini although I have not tested this myself (when coding the order loading, I assumed that beyond Chimecho cries would again be stored in order). If you do try it out please let me know how it goes and if it needs fixing.

EDIT: Thanks to ScraggyKing20 I've found and fixed an issue where odd-length cries would crash the program when being compressed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 10, 2017
Great work!

Is there a resource with wav files for post-gen 3 pokes, or would it be a case of finding an audio clip containing the cry and cutting/converting it?

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Great work!

Is there a resource with wav files for post-gen 3 pokes, or would it be a case of finding an audio clip containing the cry and cutting/converting it?

Thanks! As far as cries goes here are a couple that I've found that should work:
Here
And here
Also here

It's important to remember that in order for a cry to imported it must be an 8-bit PCM WAV file. If any of those that I linked are unsupported you'll get an error when importing.

goranthegreat

Whenever i insert a cry it ends up with crackles and glitches and yes i did resample it and changed it to a 8-bit pcm wav and changed it to mono but it still doesn't sound clear, btw i used Wavosaur.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
Whenever i insert a cry it ends up with crackles and glitches and yes i did resample it and changed it to a 8-bit pcm wav and changed it to mono but it still doesn't sound clear, btw i used Wavosaur.

Insert it uncompressed.

Back