• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Coral Version (2022 DEMO OUT NOW!)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
logo.png

Introduction
Welcome to the Onwa Region, a region far away from Kanto and Johto. Onwa is the setting for Pokémon Coral Version, a romhack that sets out to recreate the feeling of playing Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal for the first time. Journey through Onwa meeting interesting characters, earning the 8 Onwa League Badges, and working your way towards challenging the Onwa Pokémon League.

Pokémon Coral Version features a simple story akin to the first two generations of Pokémon with many interesting characters and locations to see along the way. Things aren't completely what they seem, however. There has been talk of a group of ruffians abusing Pokémon and using them in their money-making schemes. That can't be good news...

The 2022 Demo has been rebuilt from the ground up in the Pokémon Polished Crystal engine allowing for many new features such as 60fps gameplay, abilities, and many many more. Much of the game design has been tweaked or completely overhauled, so even if you've played older demos, you should be in for a new and exciting experience!

Features

• 60fps gameplay
  • Entirely new region to explore with its own story to experience.
  • Challenging gameplay.
  • Plenty of optional areas and events.
  • Pokémon from all seven generations available to catch with beautiful custom art.
  • Choose from any of the six starters from the first two generations of Pokémon.
  • Entirely new soundtrack featuring songs composed specifically for the game.
  • Physical/Special Split.
  • Abilities
  • Added Fairy Type.
  • Moves from newer generations of Pokémon.
  • Re-balanced movepools that are more inline with current generations.
  • Running shoes with unique running animation.
  • Change the color of the player sprite at anytime by visiting the wardrobe in your room.
  • Pokémon no longer need to know HM moves to use them on the overworld. If you've obtained the HM, have the necessary badge, and the Pokémon CAN learn it, they can use it!
  • Ridable Skateboard with unique mechanics and a jump.
  • Many more features to come in the future!

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Changelog
v1.2 Changelog:
Spoiler:

v1.1 Changelog:
Spoiler:

Download
DOWNLOAD 2022 DEMO v1.2 (12/30/22)
Goes through the 4th Gym and beyond (Roughly 60% of the game.)

Use LunarIPS to patch a "Pokemon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.0) [C][!].gbc" rom file.
If you encounter an error that your emulator or flashcart does not support the MBC30 mapper, you can still play the game just fine. Any Pokemon from Generation 3+ will just use a placeholder cry instead of their proper cry.

Note: The "MyOldBoy" and "VBA-m" emulators seems to be causing issues and crashes, so they're not supported as of now. Try using Retroarch (mGBA core) on mobile and BGB on Windows.

Run into a bug or other issue? Report it here: https://discord.gg/BcmRajgbrG

Old downloads:

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I hope movepools will be updated to modern standards, a venusaur without Sludge Bomb is so wrong these days

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone.

in your hack will there be the hoenn starter ???
No. The Hoenn starters are not planned to be included. Just the Kanto and Johto starters.

I hope movepools will be updated to modern standards, a venusaur without Sludge Bomb is so wrong these days
I'm reworking movepools to be as close as they can be to current generations as I can. There are obviously going to be some moves that I can't include due to space limitations for the amount of moves available, but things like Sludge Bomb on Venusaur are definitely going to be included. I guess I should add that to the features list.

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Nice, a permanent place for Coral updates! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Any idea what part of your post is stretching the page out so wide? Maybe the Soundcloud embed? Edit: it's those long strings of "_"s. Please shorten them?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Nice, a permanent place for Coral updates! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Any idea what part of your post is stretching the page out so wide? Maybe the Soundcloud embed?

Looks fine over here. Are you on mobile? It might be the underscores I'm using as breaking lines. I just eyeballed it and they look fine on my end. I'll try removing them.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
good to hear about move listings. I can understand the issue to space however, goes without saying. many fangames remove some moves entirely to account for the issue you mentioned which may be what you might end up having to do by the look of things. But for some other pokemon one can easilly replace one mve for another without using up data space. Parasect losing Giga Drain for Razor Leaf could be doable for example, since Leech Life got a huge buff in sun and moon as it is.

Then again parasect is a mushroom zombie insect so I razor leaf makes no sense for it...as such in some cases you might need to devise a whole new move for some pokemon to use.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Oooh, super cool! Can't wait to play this, it already looks awesome from what little I've seen.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Can't wait! By the way if Hoenn stater ain't gonna be on the game... how many pokemon are gonna be there? Is Piplup gonna be in the game? (Please said yes) xD

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Can't wait! By the way if Hoenn stater ain't gonna be on the game... how many pokemon are gonna be there? Is Piplup gonna be in the game? (Please said yes) xD

Three set of starters would be cool one way or another, even if one set isnt obtainable at the start and is a gift/wild encounter/trade. A trio I always try to strive for is Venusaur, Feraligatr/Empoleon/Greninja, and Blaziken/Infernape/Delphox. The reason I specifically like venusaur is that it was my first pick in the original red, and holds the best memories in the pokemon series for me.

Though if I could get a Rowlet I'd go for a different combo entirely since in my copy of Sun I got super lucky to get a shiny, jolly rowlet with very good IVs in attack and speed thus I had an amazing game to play at the time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 1, 2020
Please finish this hack, it looks like it would be fun. I have close ties with a store that specializes in making rom hacks into cartridges, would you be ok if they did that when you had the complete version.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024

Three set of starters would be cool one way or another, even if one set isnt obtainable at the start and is a gift/wild encounter/trade. A trio I always try to strive for is Venusaur, Feraligatr/Empoleon/Greninja, and Blaziken/Infernape/Delphox. The reason I specifically like venusaur is that it was my first pick in the original red, and holds the best memories in the pokemon series for me.

Though if I could get a Rowlet I'd go for a different combo entirely since in my copy of Sun I got super lucky to get a shiny, jolly rowlet with very good IVs in attack and speed thus I had an amazing game to play at the time.

The only starters that are going to be in are the first 2 generations. I only have the original 251 slots for Pok?mon + a few. I don't want to waste 9 slots on another set of starters. Sorry.

Please finish this hack, it looks like it would be fun. I have close ties with a store that specializes in making rom hacks into cartridges, would you be ok if they did that when you had the complete version.

This would be really cool and I'm definitely interested, but I'm still a long ways away from finishing it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
this hack look amazing coraldev...hope that the demo are cooming soon?? luck ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Last time I tried to reply to this thread, it said my post had to be approved by a moderator, and that was a while ago, so I'm trying this again.

The only starters that will be available are the first 2 generations'. So, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. I only have the original 251 slots available for Pokemon + a few, so I can't waste 9 slots on another generation's starters. Sorry.

This would be cool, but I'm nowhere near close to completing the game. If the offer still stands as I get closer to development, then I'll see.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
I'm releasing the first demo of Pokémon Coral Version tomorrow. In the demo, you'll be able to play a little past the first Gym Badge. Check back tomorrow for a download link!

29hXfUj.png

Back