• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
In Leaf Green I picked Charmander as a challenge since other than Squirtle and Bulbasaur the only available Pokemon that can defeat Brock is Mankey in the grass outside the Pokemon league entrance (there is also a Gary battle just above the grass), an area that is easy to forget which I did here.
I'd first discovered it in the original games but by that time they were pretty obsolete. hehe.

I've begun a few new files in Fire Red and am just beginning in a new one now. I chose this time to start with Bulbasaur and it took me weeks, but I successfully soft-reset it shiny! My choice was driven by the fact that I had chosen Bulbasaur least often in the original games and I believe it's the best grass Pokemon in its generation whereas there are plenty of good fire and water types.
For me that cancels out the fact that it's also the easiest starter because it can single-handedly take out both Brock and Misty.
I was also adamant for once about making it shiny (usually try as I might I have little patience for it) because I find it's line's shiny colors beautiful. Ivysaur's yellow flower pwns the pink. I was disappointed to discover Venusaur's is orange, so now I have to decide whether or not to fully evolve it.

Attachments

• nmhi6c.jpg
    nmhi6c.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Bulbasaur is probably my favourite of the three, that's the one I'll usually choose since it was my first ever starter choice back playing Blue.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
I am playing Leaf Green currently, and I picked Bulbasaur. While I'm not a huge fan of Grass types, it has a great moveset and Venusaur is just too good.

Melodika

Please don't eat me
Years
Back when I was a lot younger, the only one I'd use was Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur destroyed the early game! It could single-handedly take out Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge...

Now I've branched out a lot more and I find that I like Charmander the most, as I try to make the games as challenging as possible now. Charizard seems to be the strongest of the three, even if it has the fewest favorable matchups in Kanto.

I've never been too fond of Squirtle, but that's not to say I don't like it. I've gotten it to Wartortle a few times (never Blastoise, sad to say) and it's been fun using it, but it doesn't stick out as particularly great.

Years
I honestly like all 3! All 3 are cute in their first stages. I only like Ivysaur and Wartortle though. I don't care for Charmeleon at all. I like all 3 of the final evolutions, but I have to say Charmander is the closest to my heart.

Years
I usually get all three in the very beginning of the game but each time I start a new game I pick Charmander first. Just something about that little guy.

RetroBacon

~ <3
Years
Squirtle was the first starter I have ever picked. I loved its design, and the fact I wouldn't have to pick up another water Pokemon to use Surf.
However, the more I played the games, the more I began to appreciate all of their designs equally. I don't really have a preference when it comes to starters of any generation, and I just pick whatever one I feel like during that particular playthrough.

Years
I first played Leaf Green and so i end up choosing Bulbasaur. I didn't make any new files because my skills as Hacker were and still are non existent. My favorite of the three starters is Squirtle because of the anime and his "gang" and cool glasses. :) Well here is my opinion of the Kanto starters. For me Venusaur is the strongest, then Blastoise and in the last place is Charizard. Venusaur is great at stall games and Blastoise is good overall but I always thought that Charizard is kinda fragile. In artwork Charizard is coolest, than Blastoise and in the last place Venusaur. I remember when i played with Blastoise in FR/LG he was kinda balanced and when he learn Ice Beam he was really useful. Venusaur have one of the best moves in game Leech Seed so i always ended up choosing one of these two.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Bulbasaur! <3

I've used Charmander and Squirtle in other playthroughs, so I've played with them all, and Squirtle is a really close second but ultimately I have a soft spot for Bulbasaur. Charmander was the first one I used in FRLG and I love the Metal Claw addition for facing Brock, but I'm not the craziest about it. Maybe someday I'll play one of the games again and use Charmander.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 26, 2016
Always Bulbasaur for me in earlier play throughts but Charmander is a popular choice because of the relative rarity of fire types.

Years
I've always chosen Charmander back then but noe I choose Bulbasaur since it is easier ti raise although Charizard is better competitively

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
Years
Like a lot of people I know, I instantly grew attached to Charmander, and I even picked to use Charmander in my X playthrough. However, that's for a different topic. I liked Charmander's design, stats, and evolutions more than Bulbasaur's or Squirtle's.

Years
Charmander. My favorite type, knows awesome moves, evolves to super powerful Pokemon, has a very good looking shiny counterpart. What else can I ask for?

Years
Charmander. I never pick any Grass starters except for Treecko on occasion, and it feels like much of my walkthrough time throughout the series has been spent with a Water-type starter.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Charmander. No hesitation. The first two gyms are tough, but easily recoverable. The way I see it is:

Bulbasaur : 2 easy gyms.
Squirtle : 1 easy gym.
Charmander char: 0 easy gym.

I didn't pick him for the challenge though. He's cute!
Spoiler:

Back