• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [Hack of the Year 2009] Pokémon: Azure Horizons

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years

azurehorizons.png

GAME INFORMATION
Engine: 1635 - Pokémon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)
Creator: Frostbite / Dewgong
Language: English

Story
General plot summary.
bar.png

After months of waiting, you finally get your acceptance letter to the regional league. Finally the chance to follow in the footsteps of your brother, a great Pokémon trainer. With goal set, you begin to start your journey as a Pokémon trainer growing with each challenge. Working your way through the ranks and eventually, to the top. However, as soon as your journey begins something has happened. A disturbance has undergone, strange Pokémon trainers have been going around the region causing havoc. Their goal, however, is out of the ordinary. What it is currently is completely unknown... will it conflict with your own? Along the way you will meet people who can either aid or hinder you on your quest. There is more to them then you first thought, however.

Project Overview
Some general information.
bar.png

Well this is my first hack that I'll actually try to make an effort on. I'm determined to complete this hack and use the best of my abilities on it. My goal is simple - to create an entirely new and fresh Pokemon RPG using the Fire Red engine but still keep the charm of the past Pokemon RPGs. I hope to implement new features (especially D/P features) and graphics, tilesets, etc. I'll make an effort while making this hack and try to create a nice and enjoyable gameplay experience.

Game Features
Check out what the game has in store!
bar.png

• New Region - Entire new region of Zephyr complete with diverse areas for you to explore!
  • Many Pokémon - A good portion of the 386 ADV gen Pokémon will be obtainable.
  • Team Tundra - An entirely new "evil" team
  • D/P Features - A few features from Diamond & Pearl will be carried over.
  • Sprite Changes - Pokemon sprites from D/P will be carried over and applied to select Pokemon.
  • New Music - Tracks from R/S/E will be in this game, some entirely new ones might as well too!
  • Decapitalization - Decapitalized names of items, attacks, area names, etc.
  • Events & Sidequests - Entirely new and fresh events and sidequests to keep you busy!
  • More Trainer Battle Themes - Much like R/S/E, this hack will have several battle themes for specific Trainers.
  • Running in Buildings - Just like D/P/P!

Screenshots & Media
An in-depth look into the actual game itself.
bar.png

new2.png
herr1.png
azhb14.png

herr2.png
azhb11-1.png
herr3.png

azhb110.png
herr4.png
azhb15.png

herr5.png
snow1.png
herr6.png

azhb18.png
herr7.png
azhb113.png

Video Playlist: (all dates in American format)
- Trainer Battle Music Change (05/06/09)
- Rival Battle 3: Dordoran City (11/28/09)

Staff
People creating this hack.
bar.png

- Frostbite: Scripting, Mapper, Music Editor, Image Editor, Palette Editor
- Drayano: Beta Tester, Quality Checker, Suggestions

Support Banners
Show your support!
bar.png

Spoiler:

Awards
bar.png

Spoiler:

Credits
Thanks to...
bar.png

- Drayano: Suicune banner.
- Kyledove: D/P styled cave tileset.
- Jambo51: Trainer battle and encounter music routines.
- JJames19119: 3rd gen physical / special attack split.

adventure-notebook.png
Azure Horizons August 23rd, 2010 Beta 2 Release Notes
Please note that the public beta only goes up to the town with the fourth gym, Hazel Town. However, there is way more done than what is released publicly!

I'd also like to say do not even BOTHER using the walk through walls cheat (if it's still supported) because I've been very careful about maps and such. Walk through walls will not get you anywhere new.

*Please, if there are any bugs or tile errors that occur in the game, report them immediately!

• The beta does not fully reflect what will be in the final release. Significant changes may occur throughout the production.
  • The public beta ends in Hazel Town, however, there may be a few areas and events that you may not have noticed. (please backtrack!)
  • The only towns / cities that (should) be accessible are Greenwood, Gordian, Azure, Scarlet, Amethyst, and Hazel.
  • The only accessible gyms are the first, second, third, and fourth
  • HM01 Cut, HM05 Rock Smash, and HM06 Flash are the only HMs available in this beta.

Download Now

Last edited by a moderator:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
well, the way you present your hack's really nice. :)
also, I like the story. The simplicity as well.

though the screenies are nice, I wanna see some scripting. :)

anyways, i wish ye good luck with this hack project~

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
Years
i like it so far the story seems interesting but you should make a new character sprite one of my favorite things in a hack is a fresh new character to play as maybe in black?

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
Yay it's finally back!
I always looked for updates on this hack, I don't know why people didn't post in the showcase much but meh.
I see you've changed the palettes from that greenish blue colour, I reckon those palettes looked better.
Did you start again from scratch, cause it looks like not many events are put in.

Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2010
Cool i like the sattelite ^_^. where did you get it?. i love it. also great mappings. GL with this.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
The thread layout is definitely pleasing. And I also like the sound of the story. I like the simplicity of the hack. I hope you can get a long way.

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
i like it so far the story seems interesting but you should make a new character sprite one of my favorite things in a hack is a fresh new character to play as maybe in black?
The general OWs for the new hero are already made. I'll insert them whenever I have the time.

Yay it's finally back!
I always looked for updates on this hack, I don't know why people didn't post in the showcase much but meh.
I see you've changed the palettes from that greenish blue colour, I reckon those palettes looked better.
Did you start again from scratch, cause it looks like not many events are put in.
Yeah, I didn't like the older palettes because it seemed a little too green to me. It seemed like the trees and the grass matched. I'm sticking with the default palettes for now.
Yes, I did start from scratch again. That's why it seems that there are hardly any events in the game. However, I've been working on smaller stuff first. I've been repointing text and hex editing some items to my likings. It may not seem like it but I did get a few scripts done.

Cool i like the sattelite ^_^. where did you get it?. i love it. also great mappings. GL with this.
I got the dish from Emerald's Mossdeep Space Center.

---

I'm glad that this thread is generating positive feedback so far... thanks to everyone who posted and complimented so far. I appreciate it.

Sorry if it may seem like there are virtually no scripts in the game. There are, but, I just haven't took any screenshots of them, here's some of them.

Spoiler:

Now here's someone I'd like to introduce and has something to do with the main plot.

s22.png
Meet Wallace
---
Wallace is a recurring character that will appear several times in the game, much like Steven in R/S/E but with a much bigger role. Along the way he will help you with several things and help you obtain valuable items. However, what are his motives for being in this region instead of Hoenn?
Find out later in the game!

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I can't believe that this hack is back! I've been waiting for sooo long...

It looks amazing so far Frostbite. I love the attention to detail you have put in. I can't wait to feature this in RHN. The mixture of tiles are amazing. The mapping perfectly reflects Nintendo's style and I'm sure the scripting will be very impressive. I'll be sure to keep this thread in the first page where it belongs with constant nagging for updates! >.<

Is that a custom Wallace OW or are my eyes playing tricks on me??

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
Is that a custom Wallace OW or are my eyes playing tricks on me??
The Wallace OW is custom (made by me) and is FR/LG styled.

---

School started a few days ago so I won't have as much free time as I once did so I'll only be able to work on the hack on weekends. I'm pretty much done with most of the mapping for Beta 1. I've added some screenshots so you may want to take a look at those. I'll try to get more events in soon, hopefully. Beta 1 leads up to the 3rd gym in Dordoran City which leads me to the next update:

d5.png

Dordoran City Gym

The 3rd gym in the game which is assessable after completion of a certain event (which I'll show in a future update). It specializes in Electric types. To get through the gym you need to push switches on the walls to remove the beams to open up new rooms. Press the correct order of switches to open up the path to the Gym Leader. Simple, no? Along the way you'll face trainers which will make this a little more difficult. I'd really suggest bringing status healing items when facing this gym.

Years
is the story going to be the traditional pokemon storyline? cuz dont worry if it is, I always found the old ones to be more believable and fun.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
The new screenshots look great, Frostbite!

So, that last screenshot is of the Pokemon League right? It looks like you've changed how you get there, have you completely re-made the region or have you used some maps from the old Azure Horizons?

The 3rd gym looks like it'll be fun! Its sort of like a mixture between Blaine and Lt. Surge's gyms.

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
is the story going to be the traditional pokemon storyline? cuz dont worry if it is, I always found the old ones to be more believable and fun.
Yeah, I'm going to stick with the traditional plot formula... however, the main plot will have some twits to it later on.

The new screenshots look great, Frostbite!

So, that last screenshot is of the Pokemon League right? It looks like you've changed how you get there, have you completely re-made the region or have you used some maps from the old Azure Horizons?

The 3rd gym looks like it'll be fun! Its sort of like a mixture between Blaine and Lt. Surge's gyms.
Thanks, the last screen is that of the Pokemon League. I did change how you get there which will require quite a few HM moves.

I've pretty much re-made the region however some of the first towns in the game still have their original maps from the old rom.

Back