The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
5th Gen Quick Questions

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2011 (2:02 PM).
the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrpg View Post
does Pokemon's health and/or level affect the Pokemon's performance at Pokemon musical?
Nope, not at all. I believe that even if the Pokémon is fainted, it doesn't matter.

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 25th, 2011 (9:16 PM).
God's beloved child

Nature: Adamant
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toujours View Post

It's five whistle blasts, I can't tell you how long it is between whistle blasts though. And no, battles don't run down the timer.
    Thanks!

What's the difference between Assurance (ダメおし) and Payback (しっぺがえし)? Looking at Bulbapedia, it seems they both involve doubling the damage if the user is hit in the same turn. I was thinking about using this move, but first I need to know I can make use of its doubling power effect regularly.

Also, I'm not understanding how "Physical" and "Special" types of moves affect a Pokemon's move power. What I mean is, I always thought Psychic moves, for example, were always only based on the user's Special Attack stat, and that Attack had no relation to those moves. However, if it's a Physical move, wouldn't that mean it'd apply to the Attack stat instead of to the Special Attack stat even though the type of move is Psychic? I found out not long ago how Dragon moves depend on whether it's Physical or Special, but now I'm wondering if all moves are that way.
    "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
    Old September 25th, 2011 (9:26 PM).
    used Sacred Fire!

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    Also, I'm not understanding how "Physical" and "Special" types of moves affect a Pokemon's move power. What I mean is, I always thought Psychic moves, for example, were always only based on the user's Special Attack stat, and that Attack had no relation to those moves. However, if it's a Physical move, wouldn't that mean it'd apply to the Attack stat instead of to the Special Attack stat even though the type of move is Psychic? I found out not long ago how Dragon moves depend on whether it's Physical or Special, but now I'm wondering if all moves are that way.
    Only going to reply to the second part, sorry.

Well, prior to generation 4, all psychic attacks were special, but not it relies specifically on the attack itself. So if you were to use Zen Headbutt, a physical psychic attack, the power would come from its attack stat, rather than its special attack stat, while if you used Psyshock, while it is special in nature, it actually uses the opponent's defense stat to determine the power, which is an advantage if they're fighting a special attacker, which usually invests in special defense and therefore an attack attacking their defense would be stronger, if that makes sense. In other words, yes it based upon the attack entirely and not the type.

so it's gonna be forever
    or it's gonna go down in flames

old gensspinoffspgc
    Old September 26th, 2011 (12:20 AM).

Nature: Quirky
      Healer ability has a 30% to work.
      Any other abilities with a 30% success (other than Serene Grace) so I can know how lame Healer is, versus thinking it lame?
      Old September 26th, 2011 (12:35 AM).
      My life would suck without you

Quote:
      Thanks!

What's the difference between Assurance (ダメおし) and Payback (しっぺがえし)? Looking at Bulbapedia, it seems they both involve doubling the damage if the user is hit in the same turn. I was thinking about using this move, but first I need to know I can make use of its doubling power effect regularly.
      I'll answer the first bit then.

Assurance will do double damage if the target of the move has already been damaged that turn. This commonly happens in double battles, where your other Pokemon may hit the opponents and then you use Assurance on the same Pokemon to get the boost. Payback does double damage if you attack after the opponent.
      Old September 26th, 2011 (7:20 AM).
      PkMn Trainer

Nature: Modest
        Hey, I just wanted to ask those people who knows about the Pokerus.
        In Black and White, is there a hint to know whether a Pokemon has one in the Wild? For example, can the music turn into the rare wild Pokemon battle instead of normal. Just asking :nervous:
        Old September 26th, 2011 (7:35 AM).
        CoquettishCat

Nature: Relaxed
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Charicific View Post
        In Black and White, is there a hint to know whether a Pokemon has one in the Wild? For example, can the music turn into the rare wild Pokemon battle instead of normal. Just asking :nervous:
        Nope. You'll just have to hope!

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old September 26th, 2011 (7:35 AM).
        Nyeh?

Quote:
        Unfortunately, there's no way on knowing if a wild Pokemon has Pokerus or not during battle. The only way to determine if it has Pokerus is to catch the Pokemon or defeat it in battle.

Old September 26th, 2011 (7:40 AM).
        PkMn Trainer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
          Unfortunately, there's no way on knowing if a wild Pokemon has Pokerus or not during battle. The only way to determine if it has Pokerus is to catch the Pokemon or defeat it in battle.
          I just ran into a normal Pokemon into a normal grass, and the music...changed to the rare pokemon battle...weird...that Pokemons was normal, and the second time I found him in the same place, the music turned normal X_X
          Is it normal?
          Old September 26th, 2011 (7:43 AM).
          CoquettishCat

Quote:
          I just ran into a normal Pokemon into a normal grass, and the music...changed to the rare pokemon battle...weird...that Pokemons was normal, and the second time I found him in the same place, the music turned normal X_X
          Is it normal?
          The only thing I can think of is that you either saw it in shaking grass, misheard the music, or it was shiny, but I'm not sure the music for those because my music is always muted.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old September 26th, 2011 (7:57 AM).
          PkMn Trainer

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is that you either saw it in shaking grass, misheard the music, or it was shiny, but I'm not sure the music for those because my music is always muted.
            lol, this what I am certain of:

-It was @ Route 16
            -Walking on the Normal Grass Patches (Not Dark)
            -The Pokemon was a random Gothita or whatever you call it.
            -IT WAS NOT SHINY, I was battling that thing so believe me, I know a SHINY when I see one.

-I swear by the only Arceus that the Music was different, I was shocked myself.

All I can say is that it was some sort of Glitch/Bug...
            Old September 26th, 2011 (8:06 AM).
            Nyeh?

Quote:
            lol, this what I am certain of:

-It was @ Route 16
            -Walking on the Normal Grass Patches (Not Dark)
            -The Pokemon was a random Gothita or whatever you call it.
            -IT WAS NOT SHINY, I was battling that thing so believe me, I know a SHINY when I see one.

-I swear by the only Arceus that the Music was different, I was shocked myself.

All I can say is that it was some sort of Glitch/Bug...
            How was the music different? Did some parts of the music fade in and out at times? Because if it does, that's what happens to me sometimes.

Old September 26th, 2011 (8:58 AM).
            PkMn Trainer

Quote:
              Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
              How was the music different? Did some parts of the music fade in and out at times? Because if it does, that's what happens to me sometimes.
              You do know that there are 2 soundtracks when Battling wild Pokemons. The first one is the normal one you hear every time. And the second one is some sort of remix and it appears only when RARE wild Pokemons appear. Pokemons such as Audion for example. For a normal Pokemon, I got the 2nd RARE wild Pokemon Music.
              Old September 26th, 2011 (12:49 PM).
              Master of the... Magikarp?

I have a question and I really am not good at keeping track of threads, so if someone could pleaseeeee pm me the answer i would be super grateful :)
                first of all, i dont understand how black city works. the first time i visited there, there was a mall, and two little green houses you could go into. this was there for a long time afterwards, until i beat alder. after that, i went back and the mall was gone, but the people around the city and the two houses were still there. i cam back today, and everything was gone, except for one person and the blue tall buildings in the back, except some of the blue tall buildings got smaller. i also heard that you can buy evolution stones in black city, but even with the mall, i couldn't. can someone pleaseee explain to me why the buildings disappeared, how i can get them back, and how i can get evolution stones in black sity? Thanks so so so much in advance :)

Black FC: 3181-8416-4524
                SoulSilver FC: 3353-7130-8106
                Old September 26th, 2011 (1:33 PM).
                Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
                  Quote:
                  You do know that there are 2 soundtracks when Battling wild Pokemons. The first one is the normal one you hear every time. And the second one is some sort of remix and it appears only when RARE wild Pokemons appear. Pokemons such as Audion for example. For a normal Pokemon, I got the 2nd RARE wild Pokemon Music.
                  Yeah, only thing I can think of was a bug. I've heard of quite a few bugs that happen at random in BW, so it doesn't surprise me too much.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
                  My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
                  Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
                  Old September 26th, 2011 (1:45 PM).
                  God's beloved child

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
                    Assurance will do double damage if the target of the move has already been damaged that turn. This commonly happens in double battles, where your other Pokemon may hit the opponents and then you use Assurance on the same Pokemon to get the boost. Payback does double damage if you attack after the opponent.
                    So in single battles, the only way to get the double damage with either of these attacks is to attack second?
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Forever View Post

Well, prior to generation 4, all psychic attacks were special, but not it relies specifically on the attack itself. So if you were to use Zen Headbutt, a physical psychic attack, the power would come from its attack stat, rather than its special attack stat, while if you used Psyshock, while it is special in nature, it actually uses the opponent's defense stat to determine the power, which is an advantage if they're fighting a special attacker, which usually invests in special defense and therefore an attack attacking their defense would be stronger, if that makes sense. In other words, yes it based upon the attack entirely and not the type.
                    Ack, they've made this so confusing. This means I need to look up every move online before I know if I want my given Pokemon to have it.

Thanks for the help both of you. :)
                    "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
                    Old September 26th, 2011 (2:23 PM).
                    /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I guess this was probably asked before, but I can't really find anything in this thread..

Are there similar limitations to evolving Pokémon of other Generations in B/W like in FR/LG?

For example, if I got a Sentret right at the start of the game, would it evolve to Furret at Level 15?
                      Old September 26th, 2011 (2:34 PM).
                      CoquettishCat

Quote:
                      So in single battles, the only way to get the double damage with either of these attacks is to attack second?

Thanks for the help both of you. :)
                      In single battles, Assurance will only work in very specific situations I believe. For example, if someone switches their Pokemon and they get hit by spikes or stealth rock (lol competitive), then assurance will do double damage. Or if the other Pokemon attacks first and uses a move that causes recoil. Or if they attack you and you have something such as a Rocky Helmet or Rough Skin. But anyway it would be hard to find a use for Assurance in single battles since it's so specific.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
                      I guess this was probably asked before, but I can't really find anything in this thread..

Are there similar limitations to evolving Pokémon of other Generations in B/W like in FR/LG?

For example, if I got a Sentret right at the start of the game, would it evolve to Furret at Level 15?
                      I don't believe there are any limitations, the number would just show as ???. However keep in mind that you can't transfer one from D/P, you'd have to get it from the Dream World or trade it from a B/W game that has it already.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old September 26th, 2011 (3:41 PM).
                      Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Cathar View Post

No there are no limitations. I have a tentacool that I evolved into a Tentacruel and I don't have the National Dex yet.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
                        My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
                        Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
                        Old September 27th, 2011 (8:26 PM). Edited September 27th, 2011 by Jeikobu.
                        God's beloved child

Are there any other diving areas in BW besides the "Abyssal" Ruins? It seems kind of lame to only have one area for diving, and besides, since it seems we can't find any Pokemon down there, what's the purpose of having Dive Balls if there isn't another place?

EDIT: Two more questions. For both of these, I've really wanted to be able to find it myself, but having gone through basically the whole game besides rematching the Mukennou ("Elite Four" in US), I don't believe I've found any leads on these.

1) I don't know how to crack the password for the scientist in the Game Freak (I think) tower in Hiun ("Castellia"?) City. Is there a hint somewhere, or do I seriously have to try every possible combo until I get it right?

2) What's with the seemingly depressed woman in the trailer in Bewilder ("Lostlorn") Forest? I talk to her and she just says, "......" I've been trying to figure out how to cheer her up, if possible.
                          EDIT: Ok, I figured this out, but now what I'd like to know is, since I couldn't experience this myself in the game, is there a video or at least a picture where I could see what the entire Bewilder Forest looks like after Zoroark is discovered?

Old September 27th, 2011 (9:24 PM).
                          used Sacred Fire!

Nature: Bold
                          Quote:
                          Are there any other diving areas in BW besides the "Abyssal" Ruins? It seems kind of lame to only have one area for diving, and besides, since it seems we can't find any Pokemon down there, what's the purpose of having Dive Balls if there isn't another place?

EDIT: Two more questions. For both of these, I've really wanted to be able to find it myself, but having gone through basically the whole game besides rematching the Mukennou ("Elite Four" in US), I don't believe I've found any leads on these.

1) I don't know how to crack the password for the scientist in the Game Freak (I think) tower in Hiun ("Castellia"?) City. Is there a hint somewhere, or do I seriously have to try every possible combo until I get it right?
                          There's no other diving areas, no. Dive was only put into use there. :( As for Dive Balls, probably for cross-capability between B/W and future R/S remakes, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to use them in B/W, just... without using it underwater.

You need to put in:
                          "EVERYONE HAPPY
                          SIMPLE CONNECTION"
                          ...which basically unlocks the Relocator, allowing you to transfer Celebi and the legendary shiny beasts.

As for how the forest changes, it doesn't... really change, it just looks bigger, but I'm sure people have Let's Plays of this on Youtube, so you could try there.

so it's gonna be forever
                          or it's gonna go down in flames

old gensspinoffspgc
                          Old September 28th, 2011 (8:53 AM).
                          ~random artist appeared~

Nature: Quirky
                            There's supposed to be someone in the Opelucid city who will tell you the EVs of your Pokemon, why can't I find anyone?

Black FC: 4470 3069 1682
                            Old September 28th, 2011 (10:39 AM).
                            PkMn Trainer

All right, its time for my silly question session, here you go:

Ninetales Hidden/Dream World Ability is Drought right? Could vulpix/Ninetales be obtained via dream world at the time being? If not, does it mean that A Drought Ninetales (don't ask from where) will be rejected when playing online? You know...the message that says "There was a problem in your pokemons, they couldn't participate" or something like that....
                              Old September 28th, 2011 (10:59 AM).
                              CoquettishCat

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Musharna View Post
                              There's supposed to be someone in the Opelucid city who will tell you the EVs of your Pokemon, why can't I find anyone?
                              There is a woman, she's inside one of the houses. She tells you either that your Pokemon put in "a lot of effort", or that it "could try harder".

Quote:
                              All right, its time for my silly question session, here you go:

Ninetales Hidden/Dream World Ability is Drought right? Could vulpix/Ninetales be obtained via dream world at the time being? If not, does it mean that A Drought Ninetales (don't ask from where) will be rejected when playing online? You know...the message that says "There was a problem in your pokemons, they couldn't participate" or something like that....
                              You can get a Vulpix with Drought in the forest area of the Dream World after getting 10,000 points. It's been available since the start, so that shouldn't give you any problem. If you are having a problem, check for Sky Drop on your Pokemon, or Chatter, and if you don't have either of those, list your Pokemon here and we'll see if we can help you out.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old September 28th, 2011 (11:15 AM).
                              PkMn Trainer

Quote:

You can get a Vulpix with Drought in the forest area of the Dream World after getting 10,000 points. It's been available since the start, so that shouldn't give you any problem. If you are having a problem, check for Sky Drop on your Pokemon, or Chatter, and if you don't have either of those, list your Pokemon here and we'll see if we can help you out.
                                Honestly

I have some hacked in Pokemons through AR since I can't get my older pokemons from platinum via an emulator. The first 1 was infernape. I EV trained him and he has some max IVs. I didn't have any trouble with him online. Today, I hacked in a Charmander and Magmortar+ the Drought Ninetales. I am pretty sure one of them or all of them are the one who gave me the issue. Honestly, the reason I hacked them in is because of a friend of mine...long story, but I don't intend to use them in official online battles.

I'll leave you with the Info of the Pokemons:

-Charmander: Hacked in @lvl 10, like any hacked pkmn, i caught him in grass. I EV trained him for spA and Speed. he is @lvl 100 now.

-Ninetales: Hacked in @lvl 90 with Drought, EV trained for Speed and partially spA for now. Some maxed out IVs.

-Magmortar: Hacked in @lvl 100! Normal Ability, Maxed EV @ HP AND spA.

Could hacking them at a high level give me trouble like that? Please note that my Infernape never had trouble and nor did my garchomp.... that's probably because I trained them fairly from scratch when they were a Chimchar and Gible..

If u need any other info, Just tell me...
                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply