• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Ethersworn: The Vale Institute [M]

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
In which Fern meets her first true protagonist!​

After lunch, some of the freshmen were sure to get their share of practice in. A small group grabbed their weapons, and took to the field behind the school, a few upperclassmen in tow.

"Bet'cha twenty bucks Li'l Red quits after this week." The junior was commenting on one of the pairs of freshmen; a dark-skinned boy wielding a pair of katar, who accepted an offer from a strawberry blonde archer in a red capelet.

"Why's that?" his neighbor responded.

"Archers don't last long without their team. 'Specially not newbies like this." In a way, he seemed to be right. From the moment they started their little sparring session, the red-hooded freshman was reduced to avoiding the katar's swift thrusts. When she got a chance to retaliate, her arrows were easy to dodge. She was agile enough to not be struck, but it was plain to see that she was new to the recurve bow in her hands. During their fight, she even started using it to deflect his blades. "Besides, I've known Samir since middle school. He's not even trying yet."

"Know what? I'll take that bet; and make it forty."

"You must be crazy," he laughed, "but I won't turn it down. She can't run forever."

In the midst of his attacks, Samir started talking to his own battling partner. "I sense you have some secrets. You're not very experienced with that bow."

"I know. I'm sorry, but that's why I'm using it."

"What do you say to sharing your magic with me? I'll be happy to show you mine if you take a step back. It would shame me to not see what really carried you here."

The two made a brief agreement between themselves, and the air around Samir burst into a visible wave, kicking up dust in a small tornado, and Little Red leapt away to gain some distance. After another second it shrunk rapidly, surrounding Samir directly and isolating itself to cover only his arms and weapons. "Go ahead!" he called.

Fern stepped carefully as she walked, trying to become visible again. Sometimes this happened too, where she used her spell and took too long to stop. She snapped her fingers futilely before her ears caught the sound of weapons and the wind. She looked up to see two people in a dancing spar and her eyes went wide.

"Wow..."

As Samir asked her to, Red pulled back the string of her bow. Blue lights gathered along the string, then hid behind her index finger and thumb, and she fired three magical arrows in rapid succession from a single draw. She had a clear shot, but just as before Samir dealt with it easily. This time, though, he swiped his katar into the arrows. He cut away the first projectile, and a short-range blade of air sliced through the second and third before stopping in mid-air and dissipating. The red-hooded girl hesitated, then braced herself for what Samir's air magic had to offer, the arms of her bow unraveling into white ribbons and clinging to vaguely-scarred wrists.

Wind swirled around Samir's body again. He held his arms rightward against his torso, and spun up a dusty cyclone. Multiple blades of air flung out toward Red, and she slipped her way past each one until Samir condensed the tornado into a sphere the size of a basketball in his hands. Like a spirit bomb, he raised it over his head, then threw it at his sparring buddy. It expanded along the way, but Little Red only clutched her wrist to prepare, the ribbon-like bandages slowly stretching and bubbling. In the less than two seconds it took for Samir's Air-type Spirit Bomb to expand to two feet wide and reach Red, it only took the blink of an eye for a massive, otherworldly white mouth to grow from her hand, and chomp down on the giant ball, chewing on it like it was eating a meal.

Unceremoniously disappearing in the following blink, the spectating juniors were initially left completely speechless, and Samir's jaw had dropped enough to pain him.

"Wha...."

"Bet's mine, man," managed the other upperclassman after picking up his own jaw. "Pay up!"

"Like hell I'm paying for that!"

Fern reappeared with a sudden popping sound, likely scaring the dickens out of the combatants and their two spectators. But not as much as when she bounced over to the battlefield, and got in the red-hooded girl's face.

"That was awesome!" She was unable to control herself for a moment. "You're a real protagonist, aren't you? That was so cool!"

"Who the heck is that?" asked the second upperclassman.

"What is she wearing?" The first had a better question. It was just a one piece black dress that ended just above her knees to be followed by leggings as grey as cat fur. It wasn't that big a deal, really, it just happened to show off what cuteness she had. It also seemed wholly impractical, yet she had cleared the area from nowhere in two quick jumps.

Samir couldn't help but join in the awe, as well, conceding to his opponent knowing she'd quite literally just eaten his magic. Fern's infectious enthusiasm didn't help, either. "That was unreal!" Questions from the two included what the magic she used even was, and if she could teach it to them, but Little Red could only keep up with apologies, slinking back little by little into her scarlet hood. It took all she had to get them off her case, and while Samir left to hang out with his friend who just lost forty bucks knowing he'd meet her again, jumpy Fie refused to leave her alone without making a friend out of her. She at least needed to know her name, after all.

"Sorry, am I bugging you?" Fern stood back a little, trying to smile a little less and failing. She then proceeded to bug her more. "My name is Fern, and that was really cool. Can we be friends? What's your name?" She almost bounced again, but restrained herself even more. Her roommate wasn't very friendly, though the teammates had been. It would still be nice to have a friend in this new, scary (and totally exciting) place, even if she was shy and nervous and Fern was not helping. After all, she seemed to have a super special protagonist power. She'd seen enough cartoons and anime to know that was how it worked. Absorbing power tended to cause a Superpowered Evil Side, so making friends with her would help her out too, right? Even if Fern was definitely not helping.

Thankfully, Fern was willing to give the poor girl some time to breathe between all of her questions, and she introduced herself as Cerise. No last name. Totally a protagonist, Fern mentally squealed to herself.

"Thank you," Cerise added, now carrying herself with a composure unseen when Fern was firing a barrage of questions. Perhaps she was just unused to such praise like from earlier. "I'd be glad to be your friend."

On the inside, Fern was squealing once again, but on the outside she remained surprisingly frugal, only staring at her new friend with glee and sparkles in her eyes. And so, Fern failed to contain herself for the umpteenth time in the past fifteen minutes, jumping against this blue-eyed Red Riding Hood, and hugging her tightly as the post faded to black.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Eyyy quick short post to prove Julie isn't dead. ^^'

Julie Nguyen

awSA0Cz.png

Á-lô Muddah, Á-lô Fuddah
(A Downward Spiral)

Ring, ring. Ring, ring.

Julie took a deep breath as she waited for somebody to pick up, steeling herself for the coming conversation.

"Á-lô? Julie?" Her parents had started calling her Julie when they'd first immigrated to America to help her get used to it—the name on her birth certificate was actually Hương Thị.

"<Hi, mum!>" Julie replied in Vietnamese, injecting some energy and enthusiasm in her voice.

"<How are you doing? Are the classes okay?>" her mother asked excitedly.

"<The classes are great,>" said Julie.

Actually, the classes had all been weirdly normal. Seeing as it was the first lesson, most classes had spent much of their time going over a brief overview on what they would be learning over the course of the next year. It was a bit daunting, and some of the subjects definitely sounded challenging, but the relative normality of it all had been a blessing to her.

"<That's fantastic! I'm sure you'll be top of the school in no time!>"

Julie grimaced a bit. "<Yeah...>"

"<Remember to focus on your studies! Don't get distracted by boys or games or anything, okay? You're at one of the finest boarding schools in America. It's such an important time for you and this is such a huge opportunity! We can't let it go to waste.>"

"<...I know.>"

"<I know, I know. You're such a good girl, I know you'll make your father and I proud.>"

Julie made a vague affirmative noise and stared unseeingly at the ground.

"<Oh, have you eaten yet? What are they feeding you over there?>"

"<I've eaten. They have mostly Western food here,>" Julie replied, glad for the change of subject. She'd actually gotten incredibly homesick when she'd gone down for breakfast; none of what had been on offer had been what she was used to eating. She'd gotten herself a bit of scrambled egg and some toast, and she couldn't bring herself to eat more than a few bites. Back at home she'd usually have some home-made pho or rice porridge or, more often than not, leftovers from the family restaurant.

She probably shouldn't even have bothered. When she'd been crossing the campus outside, the second announcement of the day came blaring over the school intercom. The thought of bugs the size of houses, coupled with her rounding a corner and seeing trees somehow blown to bits, mixed in with that awful queasy feeling that she'd had since the previous day, and she'd promptly thrown up.

Without the presence of mind to hold her hair back, she was then forced to spend her lunch period taking a shower. The only saving grace of the day was that she hadn't been placed in a team yet, and could maybe ignore everything that was happening for a little bit longer.

"<Well, eat healthy! And see if you can find somewhere to practise piano, we wouldn't want you to forget all your lessons when you come back.>"

"<I'll see if I can use the music room somehow,>" promised Julie. She knew that there was one since she had chosen to take music as an elective. Hopefully there would be a nice piano too.

"<Oh, but don't spend too much time doing that. Remember, your studies come first!>"

"<I know.>"

"<Anyway, how did you sleep last night?>"

"<I slept alright,>" Julie lied. The lack of cars passing by outside and the movements of so many strangers nearby had made her too nervous to sleep. Eventually she'd formed a small soundproof barrier around herself and managed to doze off several times, though her sleep was fitful at best.

"<That's good, it can be hard in a new place. Ah, have you made any friends yet?>"

The corners of Julie's lips turned down. "<...I have a roommate. She seems nice,>" was her vague answer. Truth be told, she'd barely seen or talked to her new roommate—mostly because she'd taken every opportunity to flee from any encounters they might have had.

"<That's good! Well, I have to go now, we're getting some more customers in the restaurant. Study hard and stay safe!>"

"<Okay.>"

"<Bye!>"

The connection ended.

Julie hugged herself and dragged her gaze over the unfamiliar school grounds. Here she was, with all these incredibly talented students doing these outrageous things, unable to get through a single phone call without almost breaking down in tears.

Weak, pathetic Julie.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years

Testing limits and breaking boundaries.

A new day at Vale promised new friends and new adventures! Especially the adventures part, considering it's the day of Jack's first mission! Of course it would clearly be a challenging day as well. Jack was still hours away from the mission when he ran into his first deadly obstacle of the day: boredom. If he didn't think of some way to pass the time until the team gathered up his brain would surely shrivel up inside his head from lack of stimulation, leaving his lifeless husk to fall to the floor, no longer capable of moving itself. He'd woken up too early, he always woke up too early. His father had drilled it into his head to be an early riser to get work done his entire life, and now he was completely programmed to wake up no later than 6 A.M on any given day. It seemed he had little hope of how to keep busy until mission time and all he would do until classes started was think about the mission, finally going to the Liminal Isles and seeing these 'etherspawn' creatures that miss Vale had spoken of.

Jack was taking a relaxing stroll down one of Vale's pleasant paved path when something struck him through all his ruminating on the mission he was to undertake later that day. The mission, etherspawn, one of the reasons he'd come to Vale in the first place! He'd already started to relapse into his normal havits since he came to Vale, no doubt a result of how slow-paced and relaxed things had been so far, but that didn't undo or really even change any of the opportunities available to him, it just meant he had to seek them out himself. The Liminal Isles are a dangerous place, defying all the known laws of physics in unpredictable ways, and now he knew they were filled with all manner of monsters innately and inexplicably tied to magic and whatever force had brought it to humanity in the first place as far as he knew. Obviously the best thing he could possibly do to keep busy until his mission was to prepare for it with some good old fashioned sparring!

The sudden burst of excitement led to a full sprint straight for those giant white platforms he'd seen students having mock-battles on before. It wasn't until Jack caught several students staring at him that he realized how much distance he was covering with each stride and he slid to a stop to stare down at his legs. Whoah...It was obvious to me a long time ago that having magic in your blood makes your body way better than a normal human's, but just how fast can I run if I give it my all? For that matter how far could I jump? Intending to work out an answer right there and then, Jack shot into another full sprint, pushing his body as hard as he could to his top speed. The air slipping around and past his face felt great, but he didn't have long to think about it before the 'training grounds' loomed ahead of him. He still had one test to conduct, so before the distance ot his goal could lessen any further he broke his stride, made sure his both of his feet hit the ground at the same time, and launched himself onward and upward as hard as he could possibly manage.

Jack shot into the air so high and so fast it felt like he was flying! However, reality quickly smacked him with the revelation bat, and informed him that was not, in fact, flying. He was just falling...with style. Whatmore, he had underestimated his jumping ability and was falling with style right towards the center of one of the training platforms, a platform already occupied by a pair of sparring students. "Look out down below!"

The two battling students were distracted from clashing a withering stream of flame and what could only be called a water-laser by the voice of the interloper, but when they looked up all they saw was a towering column of steam...moments before a young boy came barelling through it and crashing down between them. One tangle of confusion later one of the combatants' eyes shot back open as she shook off the daze she'd been knocked into only to see she was staring into deep green eyes that were as wide and startled as hers. It was only moments afterward that she realized she had her arms wrapped around his chest. "W-who are you?! Where the hell did you come from?!"

"I was just running and I jumped and...jump too hard." Both were breathing hard, practically gasping for air to help make the situation even more awkward. Jack couldn't believe he'd ended up in a situation like this twice in his first few days, and this time he was the one who'd crashed into someone. "Um, could you let go of me now?"

The average-looking girl's cheeks suffused with red in a flash and she hadn't even finished gasping before she'd shoved Jack a few feet away from her. "I w-wasn't trying to do anything! I j-just grabbed onto the nearest thing because I was startled! Ugh, why are you so sweaty?!"

Jack laid there and just let himself breathe for a few more seconds before he dared answer. "Steam tower...fell through...really hot." As his breathing finally slowed down, a smile crept onto Jack's face and finally, he shot into an upright sitting position. "That was awesome! I can't believe our body's really are capable of things like that! I jumped like a superhero!"

"Hey, Addy, you alright over there? And who's this bozo, your new clingy boyfriend?" A male student in a denim jacket and black slacks with shoulder-length, raven black hair, the same student who'd been sparring with 'Addy' decided to cut-in. He offered his friend a hand, and she took it, and by the time she was upright so was Jack.

"Listen, I'm really sorry about that you guys. I'm going on my first mission later today, so I thought I'd come and try to do some sparring. Y'know, get a bit of practice in before I fight giant monsters? But I gotta little overzealous and way overshot my jump." Jack held a hand out to the girl by way of apology.

"Heh, yeah that's one way of putting it." The denim-lover smarmed. Addy lightly punched him with one hand while the other grabbed Jack's and warily shook it.

She actually shook off the shock of Jack's entrance - as well as her annoyance at him for the way he landed - pretty quickly, and had already settled into a welcoming smile. "So, it's a sparring partner you need, then? I know just the guy."

Last edited:

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Iris Aldridge
Reminiscence

After wrapping up her studying in the library and getting a great head start to her academic, Iris was ready to go to lunch. As she was walking to the cafeteria, she glanced around the campus, breathing in the clean mountain air and sighing. Beyond that, the longer she was here in the rural environs of Vale, the more a nagging feeling began surfacing, one that she really did not want to deal with. It was rugged and quite scenic, and Iris breathed in the clean mountain air. Certainly in environment, her new school reminded her of her family's cabin. The blonde gravitated towards an open area away from most of the students. She sat down and stared all around her, sighing deeply in contemplation. Closing her eyes, Iris' mind was drawn to the happy memories of fishing, kayaking, making intricate little trinkets from the family's shared magic, bashfully hanging out with the neighbors' kids and having only fun and recreation on her mind. It seemed to all rush back to her with an inevitability that no amount of built up defenses could stop it.

Alone and being far away from any source of legitimate comfort, the blonde started to tear up at the bittersweetness of the memories. It was a sad reminder for Iris of the way things used to be and the way things were now. It was enough to give her quite a jolt of thinking compared to being above things. After a sluggish and pity indulgent ten minutes, Iris was snapped out of her thoughts with the entrance of a few fellow students looking to eat lunch outside She sighed and used this excuse to get away from these thoughts. Enough with these feelings. You're much better than this, Iris. The past is the past. Before it was too late, Iris rushed to the cafeteria to eat, ignoring the students' greetings after noticing her and got in line for a usual lonely lunch.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

Zane Emerson

How long had it been? Fifteen minutes? Twenty? Zane wasn't sure. All he knew was that he'd been sprinting behind the school ever since his morning classes let out. After his recent matches, he realized training would have to be a constant if he wanted to take his place at the top. That girl, Shion, wouldn't win the next time they had a match. He was certain of that. His train of thought drifted as a bead of sweat dripped into his eye, causing him to stop and rub his eyes. Now at a stop, he took a look around to check out his surroundings.

Of course, Zane wasn't alone in training. Several students seemed to have had similar ideas. Some were practicing their magic, either on their own or in sparring matches, others were doing various exercises, such as running, pushups and the like. One group in particular caught Zane's eyes; a series of uniformed runners, each dribbling a soccer ball as they ran. Most of the runners were boys, fourteen by Zane's count, while four were clearly girls, including the one heading the group. Whoever she was, it was clear that she was the leader… and that she seemed to notice Zane looking at her. She called the group to a stop and gave them what appeared to be some instructions before they went back to running without her. Then she casually walked over to Zane.

"Hey there, blondie! Saw you watching us practice. You enjoying the show?"

This was the first time Zane really noticed her appearance. A tan face with hazel eyes framed by otherworldly navy hair, styled in a bob cut. Her hair only stood out more when contrasted to her uniform. A sporty modern take on the soccer kit, dressed in crimson and highlighted with gold. His observation was cut short by a quick snap of her fingers.

"Hey, kid, I didn't mean me when I was asking if you were enjoying the show."

"Sorry," he replied. "You just kinda stand out, even in a place like this. But yeah, what were you asking earlier? About me enjoying the show?"

She shook her head in disbelief. "A bit slow, aren't you? Yeah, the show, us practicing. You seemed to be interested, and I was wondering if you were just creeping or if you were actually interested in joining the soccer team. We're always looking for new members, and it's up to the captain to check interest."

"As wonderful as that sounds, I was just wondering what you guys were doing. I figured you were a soccer team, but I'm kinda surprised that you're a coed team. That's cool, I guess, but seems kinda amateurish for an elite magic school."

"Oh?" she laughed, "Girls can't hang with the boys? Is that what you're trying to say? Wanna test that theory out for yourself?"

"I mean men are typically better at sports. We're built for athletics. Me playing you or whatever you had planned won't prove anything. After all, you've clearly had more practice than me, which is obviously more important than a person's build. So why would I take up a match that I know I won't win?"

"Easy, I can tell you like a challenge. And, to make things more interesting, how about the winner gets to ask the loser for one favor. Nothing questionable, of course, but it could involve training, magic or any of the plethora of secrets I know about this school. I'll even handicap myself if you're that scared to play me."

He couldn't deny his love for a good challenge, and the idea of a potential reward intrigued him to say the least. But he didn't have the time at the moment, so he'd have to wait. "Maybe later. Right now, I got a mission to prep for."

"Aight, just ask around for Blair when you're ready. I'm pretty sure that anyone not a freshman will know who you're talking about. But if we're not playing today, then I better get back to my squad." With her piece said, she was off.

The whole conversation seemed a bit frantic and Zane realized after the fact that he got caught up in her pace, but he was curious to see where this exchange could go in the future. And that's when he noticed his alarm going off. Guess it was time to go to the spot and wait.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years

Domingo Hernández, Lauren Fera, and Lily Fera: Domingo in ExplosionWonderland!

The explosive sounds of magical combat echoed from the outdoor practice fields as the students of Vale devoted themselves to improving their already-incredible powers. It was here that Domingo had decided to come for his own improvement, though his was of a different sort. Studying inside was starting to feel unbearably stifling, so he hoped that some fresh air would do him some good. And while he was out here, maybe seeing the other students would give him some ideas for his own magic! Seeing the displays of his teammates during their meeting made him excited to see what sorts of things he could learn to do.

But first came studying. After he left his home he longed to be able to go back to school, but now that he was here he found himself frustrated as even with help he couldn't keep up with the other students. He hated lagging so far behind everyone else. He studied every free moment he got, but unfortunately he struggled to understand what his textbooks had to say, and it only pissed him off more.

Finally, Domingo flipped his math textbook in rage, not even bothering to watch as it spun gracefully in the air before slamming onto the ground a few seconds later. "Nothing makes any $*%#ing sense!" He took several deep breaths before picking his textbook up and stomping over to a nearby tree to sulk.

His eyes stared forward without focus until the bright flash of another student's grandiose flame magic caught his eye. It occurred to him that if he couldn't make any progress with his normal studies, he might as well try improving his magic. He pulled Iris' diamond flower from his pocket and started trying to replicate it. At first his molding was no better than at the meeting—a rough and jagged imitation with no flair—but bit by bit, try after try, his instincts learned faster than his brain, and Domingo softened his touch, his rocks slowly becoming less "rocky".

After a little more stonework Domingo had something he could call similar. At least, it was a pretty well-defined flower when he took a good look at it. God only knew what kind, though. Perhaps all the explosions and miscellaneous noises of mage training nearby helped him focus, but Domingo felt he was really making some progress. Now if only he could learn from a textbook the same way.

That is, via explosions.

One went off abruptly as he imagined this, and relatively close, accompanied by a shout. A young lady was flying through the air in his direction, though she was a good fifteen feet high. The landing would most certainly hurt, even if she did land properly. That said, he wasn't particularly positive as to the limits of a mage's endurance. Domingo's was extremely high, but he was an outlier, or so he believed. Faced with the threat of bullet fire on a regular basis, he had to toughen up, but mages were new to him. An otherwise normal-looking mage girl could just toughen herself up whenever she wanted.

Of course, he had absolutely no time to process any of this, not to mention he would have wanted to help anyways, and thus he ignored it completely in favor of his instincts. Putting a hand to the grass, Domingo tore a slab of earth from underfoot to use as a catapult, which flung him into the sky with all the grace and elegance of a chicken having a seizure.

Looks aside, the launch did its job, bringing him close enough to the girl for him to reach out and pull her close. Their opposing momentum let the pair hang in the air for a few moments; long enough for her to open her icy blue eyes and thank him, and for him to realize how soft she was. It made him a little uncomfortable but thankfully it was short-lived, as gravity decided to make itself known again. They promptly plummeted, plopping into a shallow bed of sand Dom conjured up to soften the blow, and he took a deep breath before falling flat on his ass. He counted himself lucky that they didn't hit any branches on the way down, the leaves swaying in the wind just a few feet above his head.

He stared at the raised earth of his catapult and the sand beneath him, as if unsure whether or not he could call his rescue a success, then looked to address the student he caught, who'd just climbed off of his lap and started dusting off her dress. "Thanks again for the save," she told him. "I don't know how far I might have gone otherwise."

Needless to say, gratitude was new to him, as well. "Don't worry about it. Listen, I don't know what kind of $@§% mages normally do for practice, but you gotta tone it down before you get hurt." He was clearly annoyed, even hearing himself, but he didn't sound very angry. In fact, at a second glance, she didn't actually look injured. Maybe she really did increase her durability.

"I appreciate your concern," she answered, surprisingly unperturbed at his own appearance. "If it's not too much trouble, could I get your name?"

"I'm Domingo," he answered simply, her introducing herself as Lauren. He watched her for a moment before adding, "Y'know, you're a lot calmer than I thought you'd be."

Lauren cocked her head to one side, scanning Domingo in her confusion. "Why do you say that?"

"I have to say it? You're seriously telling me that this," he said while gesturing at his tattooed face, "doesn't bother you at all? You don't think I'm some scary ☆♥♡★ing thug who's gonna beat you up and take your ✨¤※⁂? I mean, sure, there are nice people here, but even they still give me nasty looks before they get to know me." Domingo seemed genuinely confused himself. "Not to mention you just got $*%#ing exploded," he added, tracing her flight path above with his finger.

"You saved me, didn't you? That's more than enough to get the benefit of the doubt in my book." Lauren tapped her shoulder, and a blue light grew out of her back, turning into a solid black and steel polearm. Domingo's eyes widened in awe, but he kept quiet. "Besides," she continued, flashing him a friendly smile, "there are worse things than the other students here."

"Lauren!" a similar voice called from the direction of the students training. A mirror match, Lauren's twin sister caught up and started apologizing profusely, saying something about "marks". Lauren simply told her to give Domingo her thanks, so she took a deep breath and obediently bowed her head to him, saying, "Thank you so much for catching Lauren. I really hope I didn't disturb you too badly."

Domingo's first thought wasn't to dispel her worries and say it was no trouble at all, or anything along those lines. All he could think about was how weird these two girls were. In Mexico, children, adults, the authorities and even some of his fellow gang members cowered at the identity expressed through his ink and his scars. Yet here were these two, acting like none of it even existed. Either they had a screw loose or it had something to do with the "worse things" Lauren mentioned. He didn't exactly like either of those ideas.

He put the thought out of his head and finally answered the energetic twin. "Like I told your sister, it's fine. Just be more careful next time." He looked back where he'd been sitting and noticed that in his rush to catch the girl he'd scattered his things around. He let out a quick curse as he noticed his latest crafting attempt had broken in the chaos.

With a sigh, Domingo prepared to resume his practice when an idea occurred to him. "Actually, if you really want to thank me then let me see your magic." He walked over to pick up his things, starting with the diamond flower. "Maybe you can teach me something while you're at it." He smiled in anticipation of whatever new and amazing powers they might have.

Evidently the twins were all too willing to make a new friend in him, and sat with him in the shade of the tree. Lauren took note of the flower in his hands after he collected his [CENSORED], and asked if he'd made it. He gave her essentially the same answer he'd given Nasrin at the meeting, complete with the name and description of its creator.

"So, you were trying to make another flower like it when Lauren fell from the sky?" Lily pondered, subtly shifting the blame away from herself.

"Something like that," he answered while trying to piece together his broken stone replica. The result was rushed and decidedly unappealing, but it still managed to look better than his first few tries. "So, magic. What sort of cool powers do you guys have? Can you make, like, golems, or hard light, or, well, this?" he finished, holding up the diamond flower once more.

Lauren agreed, and started examining the flower, but Lily's enthusiasm got Domingo's attention a little easier. She scooted back a foot or so, and with a wave of her hand conjured a ball of water into her palm. The sight of it wasn't new to him now, but it certainly never got old. Lily stretched the water in her hands like putty, and almost got a chuckle from Dom, until she suddenly flicked one hand upward, flash freezing the water into a small tree-like structure.

On the other hand, while he'd been distracted by her sister, Lauren made what looked like an exact replica of the flower in Domingo's hands. She was even in the process of making a second.

"Shit, man, you've got the same power she does!" Domingo noted, his attention now focused more on Lauren than Lily. He held Iris' flower up against Lauren's, amazed at how accurate the copy was. "I mean, yours is cool too, Lily, but…" He looked down pensively as he recalled what he'd learned. "They said there's only like 4 magics, right? Diamond's a rock so it's gotta be earth magic like mine. So can you show me how to do that?"

Lauren snickered at his request, but quickly got to the exposition. "If all you want is to make a copy, you just need to understand how it's made."

That got Domingo's gears cranking. What was there to the how that he didn't already know? There was a stem, petals and a couple leaves. Normal flower stuff, right? He was trying to wrap his head around the meaning until Lily intervened with a laugh of her own. "Sorry if that's confusing. Lauren kinda has special eyes, so half the time I can't understand it, either."

"Domingo, do you have a sensory ability of some kind?"

"Like what?" Domingo asked, still not entirely sure what sensory even meant. It only took a bit of mental processing, though, before he figured it out. "Oh! Yeah, senses. Sensing. I can sense the earth around me to know where everything is and to kinda feel how the dirt and rocks are, if that makes sense."

"Perfect! Then you should be able to feel it, right? I mean, feel... well, 'how the flower is,' I guess."

Domingo looked down at the flower, realizing that he hadn't bothered to examine it in much depth. He focused his magic on it, gathering whatever information he could glean with a couple of seismic pulses. "It's... different. Like, it's not just really hard rock. I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to describe this {BLEEP}." Whatever it was, it wasn't actually diamond, but Lauren was right. He got a grasp on how it was really made, and he nearly smacked himself for having repeatedly used normal materials when Iris made it out of mostly thin air. Lauren must have done the same thing. Domingo glanced back up at the twins. Lily was fiddling with the plant she made herself, bending and playing with it like putty again; and, knowing he'd come to the conclusion himself, Lauren presented him with a rather serene smile.

"Go ahead and try again," she encouraged, then turning to Lily. "Do you have your phone on you?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

Domingo tuned the two of them out for the moment to follow Lauren's advice, taking his stonework in one hand and freeing the other for a new flower. He focused on his empty hand, not entirely sure what he was supposed to be doing but putting in the effort regardless. Fortunately, years of practical magical application had honed his instincts for using his power, and the ether within him gathered in his palm, coalescing into the shape he envisioned with his mind's eye.

From nothingness appeared a stone flower, not unlike the one in his other hand. His eyes widened with surprise and excitement at this new ability. He moved it in his hand to examine it better, but as soon as he touched it, it crumbled, the fragile stone unable to hold itself together. He frowned. As impressive as this new ability was, the new flower was inferior in every way to his old flower.

Domingo brought it up next to the old flower. Remembering the pitiful state of this new flower even when intact, the old one suddenly seemed much more dignified. Not that it even compared to Iris' flower. He thought of other, better ways to improve it when he noticed the conjured rubble begin to shift before attaching itself to the flower, turning its better (relatively speaking) into a lumpy mess. Amidst his shock, he began to feel some resentment towards this jealous, conjured flower corpse, but no sooner had his disappointment shown on his face did the amorphous rocky blob start moving again. Instead of a mess, it looked to Domingo like it was repairing his first attempt, and by the end of it he had a surprisingly serviceable stone replica that could stand next to the original he was trying to copy.

Or, at least, it was mostly stone; he may have just figured this thing out. A brief test of his seismic sense let him know that it was no longer 100% rock, parts of it the same indistinguishable material in Iris' diamond flower. Domingo stared at the thing in his hand, not sure what to make of what had just happened. "Man, magic is ☆♥♡★ing weird," he muttered with a raised eyebrow. Despite this, he didn't seem unhappy with the thought. It was clear that clinging to common sense wasn't going to do his powers much good.

When he turned his eyes back up, the twins were preparing to leave, disspelling the plants they made as they stood. Lauren thanked him for the last time, then told him that they had some practice to do with their team before their first mission. Come to think of it, his own mission time was coming up quick, and Domingo started thinking about heading out himself. He was a little disappointed he didn't get to see more of their magic, but that just meant he would have to find them again later. For now he would have to focus on whatever the mission had in store for him. Nychta's warning and his own excitement created conflicting feelings, but the latter prevailed easily, and after saying his goodbyes he rushed off to meet up with his teammates, the sound of Lauren screaming her sister's name and Lily laughing fading into the background behind him.

Sephear

Years

An introduction to the "Sucker Punch"

The sun was blotted out in an instant, eclipsed by the hulking mass of greasy teenager lumbering towards Jack. His pupils widened explosively in the sudden shade, then shrank again as his proposed opponent drew close enough to truly loom over him. The 6'7 student was apparently one of the best duelists among the Sophomores, and as Jack was stared down by what must be over 350 pounds of solid, testosterone-fueled punk just itching for a fight, he realized 'Addy's smile earlier had been one of expected vengeance, not warm welcome. "Wow...you are big." He peeked sideways at the bystanders past the arena's edge. "I'm not sure I should do this, he has experience, and he makes me feel small...I don't like feeling small." Mr. Giant had a square jaw dusted with the beginnings of a beard, a scar just barely on the left of his chin, and wore a huge white tank top and a torn pair of blue jeans.

"So, this the freshy you were talking about?" The tank questioned Addy as if Jack hadn't even spoken. "What exactly did he do again?"

"He ran crazy fast and then jumped, apparently just to see how well he could," Addy answered. "It was impressive I've got to admit, it was a regular Hulk leap. And he did say he was looking to get some sparring in."

"Can we please not say the word 'hulk' right now?" Jack asked uncomfortably as he tried not to let his legs shake.

The bulky sophomore looked down at Jack with a raised eyebrow, then smiled. "Alright, that's interesting enough. This year's freshman really seem to be a bit special, I heard about Indigo getting it bad from one the very first day. They said she was a real hottie, too. Put up your dukes."

"Right now, just like that?" Jack stammered.

"Yeah, show me if you can take an upperclassman down, like she did. M'name's Deren, by the way."

This time Deren's condescending smirk had no effect on Jack, his eyes had already sharpened at the important fact Deren had made clear. She? He only knew one girl that scrappy, that was also a hottie. He put his hands up in front of him in a guard stance. The instant Jack looked ready Deren burst forward in a blur, leaving the boy barely time to put his forearms in front of his face before Deren's fists slammed into them so hard that Jack was sent sliding across the arena. When Deren came at him again, Jack dipped to the side and grabbed onto the wrist of his punching arm, simply letting it fly past and helping with a little yank of his own, sending Deren stumbling almost out of the arena.

No sooner had Deren regained his balance, then was he back on the offensive, laying down a withering barrage of punches, and showing no signs of slowing regardless of how long Jack kept up his guard. He wasn't as much of an idiot as his size would make one hope, and he didn't make the mistake of going after Jack full-force again. Jack got in a few good counters, but he hadn't managed any serious damage, and he was starting to get tired. "Aw, come on!" Deren began to taunt. "Is that really all you've got?" Jack was moments away from what was surely a stinging retort when one of Deren's punches slammed into Jack's hand coated in flames, and before he could even process that he'd parried a trap, Deren's hand seemed to explode. The shocked freshman was knocked clean off his feet and landed with a loud thud on the edge of the platform, dazed for a few blurry moments before he shot upright, squeezing his burnt palm gingerly.

"You didn't mention we were using our magic!"

"I didn't say we weren't, either," Deren answered, showing his rather gnarly teeth when he smiled this time. "I gotta say, you're really disappointing me so far, freshy. That hottie that took down Indigo did it in a single hit, and those wimpy little punches you pushed on me earlier barely had any kick to'em at all. She was a regular psycho bitch, why are you such a pushover?"

"...What did you just say?" Jack questioned, his incredulous gaze turning to a searing glare focused completely on the fire mage who'd just made a serious mistake.

Deren's uppity sneer didn't waver for a second. "I said you really need to kick it in gear, cupcake, give me a show so I know Addy didn't just waste my time when she fo-" Deren's sentence would forever go unfinished thanks to the small stone pillar that slammed one of the platform's tiles into the right side of his chin so hard his head bounced up a bit before settling back down to let Jack see the stunned expression on his face, it was a miracle he hadn't bitten his own tongue off. The sophomore wasn't even allowed a moment to react before another tile was slammed into his left cheek, then one to his right, then one for his stomach, driven in and held in his gut for a few solid seconds. He doubled over, more in pure reaction to all the stimuli being forced on his body - and possibly some internal damage - than pain, then a pillar four times thicker than the others shot out of the ground behind him and slammed into his back, flinging him into the air like a catapult.

When Deren opened his eyes again he was met with the sight of blond curls a split second before his view was blocked by an oncoming fist. The momentum in the rest of his body was too strong to be countered by the localized force hitting his face, leaving him to be clotheslined and spin backward even as he continued to fly forwards, and his vision went black the instant the back of his head struck the ground.

"You watch your mouth when you talk about her." Jack said despite knowing full well there was no chance Deren could hear him.

He was shocked when Addy and the dude with the denim Jacket came running up to him, clapping him on the shoulder, hooting and hollering. "Nice one!" Addy cheered. "You really do have some potential, I made a good call! I just knew you had it in y-"

She was interrupted by the palm of a hand being thrust just shy of her face. "Get the big lummox to the nurse's office." Jack demanded coldly, then simply stepped off of the platform and began to walk away.

"Hold on! We've got to introduce you to some more fighters! They'd probably like you!" The guy of the pair called after him.

Jack simply turned, smiling at them with a face now free of the cold determination he'd had a second ago. "Sorry, I've gotta go grab my backpack. My first mission is today!"

doge

???
Years
Team Flex SMASHES and gets smashed
Classes were over and the time had finally come. Zane was ready to prove his abilities on the field, but before he could do that, he needed to get to the meeting spot for the team. He made his way to the portal stone, only to realize he was the first to arrive. A few moments passed, but nobody showed up. His attention shifted to the music playing in his ears, noticing that the album playing was Fashionably Late. Zane laughed a bit under his breath at the coincidence, then continued waiting. One song passed, then two, then three, and before he knew it, Zane had been waiting for around fifteen minutes.

Nasrin hurried over to the meeting point. Navigating the school without her sensory magic still proved to be inconvenient for the girl; it took Nasrin a few times to imprint directions to memory. Normally, she would leave early to compensate for the expected tardiness, but she was wrapped up in a conversation with her teacher (again) and had nearly forgotten the mission. Finally, Nasrin made it outside to the portal stone, but upon seeing the individual already there, her reaction was rather flat. Although Zane probably left the strongest impression out of the group, it was far from a fond one. A part of her, strongly encouraged by her mother's constant lectures, wanted to let prior conflicts remain in the past. She made a face, recollecting herself, and then approached her teammate. "Hi," she waved with a smile.

"Oh, hey guys!" Another voice called out before Zane could answer. Jack was approaching the pair, backpack on and smile in-place. "Glad I'm not the first one here this time, I'd be worried if I was more punctual than everyone else." He took a few more steps towards them and dropped his backpack on the floor, which made a very audible thud and scattered some dust, but he continued without acknowledging it. "I can't wait to get started, I bet this is gonna be fantastic."

Zane, somewhat deafened by the music in his ears, merely waved to his teammates in acknowledgement of their arrival. He couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but he still noticed Jack's glee... and his backpack. "Don't know if you'll be needing all that where we're going," he said, pointing at the bag, unaware of his slightly loud tone.

Jack raised an eyebrow at Zane's volume, thinking maybe he should turn his music down, but ultimately shrugged and let it go. "This is just some stuff I prefer to have with me, since not everything I like can be stored as ether. Plus, I need the workout when I'm going from class to class or doing other stuff besides training or fighting. I'm used to hauling around heavy equipment all the time back home, and I don't want to get out of shape while I'm somewhere that I'll need my strength even more, like Vale."

Catching the general idea of what Jack said through his booming music, Zane finally slid his headphones back down to his neck. "I guess, but hopefully it's nothing too valuable. Never know what can happen in the heat of the moment." Instead of continuing the subject, Zane just kinda glanced around, searching for any sight of their missing teammate. "I'm guessing nobody knows where Domingo is, right?"

"I haven't seen him anywhere yet," Jack explained, beginning to scan for Domingo himself with no luck.

Far in the distance, the final member of the team could be seen as he sprinted toward them, something that looked a little silly with his power gloves on. He was covered in dirt and he had some new tears on his already damaged clothes, making it look like he'd just come from a battle or something of the sort. His overall look contrasted with the huge smile on his face. "Hey! Sorry if I'm late!" he called while he closed the distance between them.

After taking a second to catch his breath, he looked over each of his teammates before excitedly asking, "So what happens now?"

With a cocky grin and a gleam of excitement in his eye, Zane eagerly said, "Now we go to the Isles." Walking over to the portal stone, he placed his hand on the object, and in the blink of an eye, he was gone.

"Time to start the fun!" Jack exclaimed as he joined Zane in poofing away.

Domingo admired the stone for a bit before deciding to follow suit, and not wanting to be left behind Nasrin went right after.

The group was promptly met with something that Zane would argue was worse than a monster. Domingo and Nasrin arrived just in time to see their self-sure teammate toppled onto his back, making muffled screams in shock. "You made it! You were taking longer than expected, so I was worried you might've gotten lost, but I'm happy I didn't have to go looking for you."

A light tan, long blonde hair and a colorful ensemble of an outfit that stood to contrast the gloomy burnt ruin of the Scorched Earth system's countryside, Zane found himself beneath the body of their supervisor, Sophia, and the one who was controlling the group's destination. Straddling his waist and arms clinging to his neck, she had his face buried in her respectable cleavage from the moment he arrived.

"I missed you so much," she cried with relief. She remarked how hard it was for her to stay away from Zane until today, but apparently ignored that he couldn't talk back.

With enough struggling, though, Zane grabbed hold of Sophia's shoulders. Once he did he immediately shoved her back into a sitting position, gasping and shouting, "Get off me!"

When Nasrin and Domingo appeared on the island of their destination they were greeted not only with the sight of Zane under attack, but Jack stock-still and trembling slightly as he watched. "What an... interesting turn of events..."

Nasrin was amazed. Not only by her surroundings on the Isles, but by the peculiar sight in front of her eyes. She pulled back slightly, clutching her staff close to her body, and whispered to her unoccupied teammates, "Should we be concerned?"

At Nasrin's question Jack couldn't stay quiet anymore, and burst out laughing with all the mirth of his parents together at a party after too much champagne. "Oh, every god, harvest patron and guardian spirit, that is precious!" After a few seconds he forced himself to take a breath, and wiped at his eyes slightly as he took a few steps closer to Zane, leaning in to get a look at his attacker's face, but making sure not to get too close and invade either of their spaces. "Well, hello there, you're our advisor, aren't you?"

"That's right!" she answered, smiling with one hand gesturing in a salute.

Great. Just great. I was hoping I'd get four years away from home. I thought at least this one was away at college. Wonderful.

"Zane, aren't you gonna introduce me?"

After collecting himself from this unwanted surprise, he decided it would be best to at least maintain the normal pleasantries and niceties of introductions. "So, uh, yeah, this is Sophia."

She moved backward to his legs so Zane could sit up, hugging him again before continuing to his teammates. "It's nice to meet all of you. I'm Zane's fiancée."

Domingo looked at Zane, eyes wide. "This is your girl?" he asked, gesturing to Sophia. "Nice, man!" He even gave him a thumbs-up.

Citing Zane's earlier reactions, Nasrin had to disagree with Domingo. "Maybe his handler, instead?"

Beginning to snicker again, Jack forced himself to stay calm and replied. "I must say it's nice to see someone so friendly and pleasant in Zane's life. But really, who are you?"

"Nn..." Sophia pouted. Then she sighed, "Guess I can't fool everyone."

More than a little relieved that Jack didn't trust her, he informed his team, "Yeah, she's my sister; not my fiancée. Now, can you get off of me?"

Domingo's reaction took a 180. He even looked a little disgusted. "Okay, now it's f*****g weird."

Unable to wipe off the smirk now plastered on her face, Nasrin jokingly replied, "Let's not judge family matters."

Jack was practically cooing. "It's so sweet that your sister wanted to give you a big hug as soon as she saw you. I've always wished I wasn't an only child."

"I've got two," Zane replied. "Want the other one?"

"No, thanks," Jack assured him. "I ended up getting part of the sibling experience I wanted; I'm happy with one. And she's almost as friendly as our advisor seems to be." At that he gave Sophia his most winning smile, emboldened by the similarities he'd noticed. " In fact, I think you two would get along swimmingly." He said to her happily But thankfully not quite so grabby. "Actually, she told me she was going off to 'some fancy school for gifted mages', and if anyone's Vale material, it's her. I wonder."

Sophia climbed off of Zane, helping him to his feet, and addressed her team of freshmen. "Don't worry; I won't be getting in your way today. I'm just here to make sure there aren't any unintended interruptions, so I'll re-brief you, and let you get on your way.

"This island is classed as a Scorched Earth system, and you can probably see why." She directed the group to officially view the burned fields that made up the landscape. Charred weapons and armor were embedded in the ground, and embers floated in the air, like it was the fresh ruin of a fierce battle with no winner. "Here, you'll find a few monsters made of black medieval armor. We call them Knights of Ash. Their swords aren't too sharp, but they can break your arm in one swing if you're not careful. Another thing is that they release clouds of ash on contact, so I've been told to instruct you on how to break down ether material in advance."

Sophia went on to demonstrate, plucking a broken sword from the ground near the stone. She clarified that they were to channel their magic into the object directly. The sword started falling apart into particles from her hand outward, creating a translucent blue stream that was absorbed into her body. She gathered four more pieces of weapons and armor, so Sophia was confident that the gang was able to pull it off for themselves. Jack was, of course, the first to pick up on the process, so he decided to help the others work it out. Domingo learned as quickly as the other two, but seemed to still take the longest to absorb it.

"Keep in mind that you can't do this from a distance, and you'll want to try to break down the clouds as soon as possible. If you give them too long, the knights regenerate whatever's left."

She only gave them enough time for a few basic questions, then disappeared to the sidelines as she sent them out on their first mission.

After the group properly departed to search for some medieval knights, Jack ended up taking the front. It only made sense that a bruiser took the front lines, after all. "Scorched Earth, huh? Reminds me of stories about countrysides ravaged by dragons." It was too bad they didn't have any to fight, but at least knights made of living ash sounded pretty exciting. "Feels like I just had a cup of coffee, too."

Domingo piped up, agreeing that he felt inexplicably invigorated himself as he played with a chunk of shield he found lying around. "I just thought we needed it so we could deal with those sh**** ash clouds."

"My dad told me ether could do some pretty weird things. I think we might really be able to get stronger if we absorb more."

Zane wasn't particularly surprised by the boost in energy, saying, "Yeah, I've heard similar things from my sisters, but maybe we should focus on the mission."

He looked around for a few moments, scanning their surroundings. "Look over there," he said, pointing at the smoldering remains of a house off in the distance. "I thought I saw some movement, so we should probably go check it out."

At the mention, Nasrin shifted her attention from her sight. She concentrated her senses in the general area of where Zane had pointed out. Aside from the movements of what appeared to be small animals, that there were plenty, a high collection of insects seemed to be fluttering around a rather well-sized object. Its apparent stationary nature left it blurry in her vision, but she confirmed there was something in there.

"Hold on," Domingo said, stepping in front of the others. "Lemme take a look first." He knelt down and hit the ground underneath him with an open palm, turning the ground around him into sand. "I can go underground to get closer and check it out safely. I did this s**t all the time before coming here, so I'm pretty confident it works." It looked like he was about to do something but he stopped, instead looking back at his team as if asking for permission.

"Good idea," Nasrin said, leaving her sonar running in the background. "I checked with my ability just now and could only sense some movements, like what Zane saw. There is also something big there, maybe a rock?" She added inconsequentially.

Domingo frowned but didn't think much of it before a hole opened beneath his feet, dragging him underground then promptly closing. He slowly dug his way to the source of the movements, something that he found much easier to do than usual with his gloves. Keeping several meters underground for safety, he kept tabs on his surroundings with his Seismic Sense until he found himself beneath his target.

The house didn't seem to have much left in or of it, with the only thing of interest being what was probably the "rock" Nasrin had noticed. But judging by the fact that it eluded his Seismic Sense, it was very clearly not a rock of any kind. Whatever it was, though, it was big. It also didn't seem to be moving. Not wanting to return empty handed, Domingo decided to take a closer look, popping out of the ground near the object.

Here he could see that it was actually humanoid, and even while sitting down it was as tall as he was. It looked like some kind of statue. He took a moment to wonder why someone would put a statue here, then quickly began to regret it as the statue's eye holes suddenly gleamed with a red-orange light. Domingo lifted his fists defensively just as the statue sprung to life, its fist rocketing straight toward him with a force that sent the large boy bursting through the wall behind him and flying even farther. A cloud of soot and embers followed along, then retreated to the source before Domingo even hit the ground.

Meanwhile, as Domingo was sent flying, his teammates were shocked by the whole affair. Well, Jack and Nasrin were. Zane was playing a phone game to pass the time, just barely looking up in time to see Domingo's flight. "Oh, hey, looks like he found it," he said nonchalantly. "I'm guessing we should probably go help him, right?"

As it happened, Jack had already dashed off towards Domingo, leaping a short distance into the air and landing on a miniature plateau of rock that moved itself rapidly through the earth to carry him to his teammate. Jack's reaction wasn't quite fast enough to construct something to cushion Domingo, but he did make it to his side just after his assailant smashed an even-bigger hole than the one Domingo had made, and began to lumber towards the pair menacingly. Seeing a good opportunity to test how the 'Ash Knights' might fight without any further risk to them, the shorter of the two mages rolled what looked like a plain rock at the knight like a bowling ball. The rock showed its true colors in short order as particles began to gravitate to it rapidly the entire time it rolled. Jack chuckled to himself and nudged Domingo next to him. "I call that one the 'snowball' maneuver." By the time the rock was two thirds of the way to the Ash Knight it was already a boulder nearly matching the etherspawn in size.

The knight braced itself either for defense, or a counter, but was forced to shift it's stance when a slab of stone popped straight out of the ground and propelled the boulder into the air, where it unfolded as if it were made of multiple moving parts and took on the shape of Billy, the simpler and more crude of Jack's golems. Billy arced a short distance through the air then fell straight towards the knight, fist raised and ready to slam into it. But the Ash Knight was ready, swinging its massive greatsword at Billy, catching him across his chest. The sword's impact sent Billy crashing into the dirt, ash spewing from the blade, slowly dissipating to reveal a large crack on Billy's chest. Billy wasn't completely ineffective, however, as he managed to clip the Ash Knight with one of his rocky hands while the sword struck him. The punch managed to send the knight staggering backwards, but it recovered soon enough and readied to continue attacking the prone golem, lifting its blade through a dense shroud of ash.

Right before the knight could bring down its weapon, a massive fist bigger than the titan's own smashed into its face courtesy of Domingo, who had launched himself back into the fray. When the attack connected, Domingo's gauntlet suddenly shot forward in a second powerful thrust without any windup. AGH GROSS PLTHEH SOOT IN MY MOUTH EW Just as Sophia explained, a massive black mess spurt out of its body, this time briefly obscuring itself, Billy and Domingo entirely before starting to regenerate the damage.

Looking towards Nasrin, Zane was grinning with excitement. "At the rate that thing's going, it looks like we're gonna need some extra firepower." Without giving her a chance to reply, he started to summon a prism of hardlight, sending it off onto the battlefield once completed, only to repeat the process over and over again. "It's gonna take some time to actually craft and position these things in such a large area, so give them some cover fire while I'm working on this. Once I'm done, I'll take it down in the blink of an eye."

"Already on it," Nasrin answered, her staff already propped onto her shoulder. She used her sensory abilities to get a bead on her otherwise hidden foe, then followed up by compressing the air around it to keep it still for her shots. However, at the distance she was, her binding was easily broken by the etherspawn. She frowned, then began bombarding the knight with blasts from her weapon anyway.

The knight was only given time to regenerate a small chunk of its armor before it was slammed into by another massive stone fist, this one much more refined and detailed than Dom's. Before the knight could counterattack, it was hit with another punch, and a kick. None of the attacks did much more than dent it's armor as far as damage, but each one staggered it, and forced it back, keeping it off balance. Jack, meanwhile, was already charging at what was left of the creature's broken-off armor plate. Billy had taken advantage of his demise becoming much less imminent to right himself and run right back into the fray. Just as Billy arrived to keep the knight distracted, the more human golem - who could now clearly be seen to resemble a large man carved very precisely in stone wearing a Greek toga and sporting a healthy beard - casually kicked the armor plate behind him through the air. Jack smiled and jumped into the air just high enough to catch the plate with a happy noise, shouted "Thanks Bojangles!" And quickly absorbed half of it, before tossing the other half to Domingo.

Jack's sword and shield materialized into existence in his hand and on his arm in a mesmerizing azure light, and he smiled at the larger boy, tapping the flat of his blade against his own shield as he spoke. "That should keep you fresh. Come on, let's go show that thing why we got picked for one of the most elite schools in the world!" Without waiting for an answer, the excitable young mage rapidly approached the brawl to rejoin his golems. Domingo absorbed the ether, and quickly followed suit.

With several hardlight hedrons now littering the field, Zane was almost done with his spell, but as he was finishing the last one, he noticed that there was a large shadow being cast out in front of him. Turning around to see what it was, he saw another Ash Knight preparing to hit him with an overhead slash. Barely having enough time to react, he jumped to the side as the knight's sword slammed into the ground he was once standing on. The impact of the sword sent ash flying, almost obscuring the knight from view.

After catching himself, Zane threw out the last construct, finishing his Luminous Domain, and in the same instance he gave the etherspawn in front of him a triumphant look, launching a barrage of hardlight bullets from the prisms, all aimed at the Ash Knight in front of him. Dozens of shots landed on the tanky knight, and soot was completely surrounding Zane by the time the assault ended.

Assuming the knight had been vanquished, Zane started collecting the ash cloud's ether. He yelled out to his teammates who were busy with the other knight, "You guys seem to be having a bit of trouble with these pushovers." He turned to face Nasrin, saying a bit softer, "Too easy."

A rustling of stone behind him intended to prove otherwise, and Zane barely had the time to look back into the slowly shrinking ash cloud. A blackened fist flew from the darkness, catching Zane in the jaw and shoulder with a solid thunk. The impact launched him clean over Nasrin's head, skidding across the dirty, burnt ground a while longer until his back collided with the wall of another ruined home.

"Very easy," Nasrin groaned sarcastically, catching Zane's backside as he flew overhead. The knight was respawning, broken armor pieces sticking themselves back together. Gaps remained from the ether Zane absorbed, but it was still a clear threat. The embers in its empty eyes started to burn bright, clearly targeting the girl, so she fired a charged shot into its chest to force it back. Looking over at Zane, she suddenly realized the gravity of the situation and ran to his side, littering the air between them and the Knight with invisible mines.

How am I alive? It was the only question on Zane's mind, struggling to move. He was amazed that not only was he conscious, but in less than a minute he was able to stand back up, even if his range of motion was limited. Was pure adrenaline keeping him intact? The ether he took in? Well, it definitely wasn't for a dulled sense of pain, that's for sure. After he popped his jaw back into place, he couldn't help but clutch his upper arm. At least it wasn't his shooting arm, but he'd have to get it checked out when all was said and done.

"You are more sturdy than you look," Nasrin said in surprise, seeing her teammate already up, although holding his arm in pain. "Do you also have a plan to deal with this one? I put some obstacles in its way, so we have some time."

It was pretty clear to Zane that one of them would need to fight the knight head on, and he wasn't about to let anybody else take this one down. He needed the satisfaction of cutting it down with his own magic. Almost on instinct, he summoned his Blade Storm, the four swords of hardlight all poised to attack. As Zane thought up a plan, the Ash Knight trudged through Nasrin's minefield, being knocked back and having chips of armor chip off only to be regenerated. Zane gave Nasrin a confident and reassuring look, saying, "Yeah, I got a plan."

Not far from the two, Domingo landed with a resounding thud, having been thrown again after a failed attempt to block a swing of the knight's massive blade. He got back up quickly enough, growling in frustration, and gave his teammates only a glance before digging underground again. Feeling his foe's footsteps through the ground, he got close and turned the ground underneath it into sand that promptly opened up into a massive pit under its feet.

The team's other bruiser took advantage of Domingo's displacement of the enemy to set up another attack. Billy absorbed extra earth to add to his massive bulk and hoisted Bojangles—whose well-sculpted hand was holding Jack safely—onto his shoulders, and tossed him a short distance up, cracking the ground beneath his feet. At the crest of his ascent, Bojangles threw Jack as high as he could above the sandpit the Ash Knight was sinking into. At the height of his own arc, Jack raised his sword above his head in both hands and added all the ether he'd absorbed from the plates they'd broken off of the knight's armor so far to it, leaving him with a greatsword that looked like it belonged on some psychotic demon hunter. With his creation complete, Jack swung straight downward, both the massive weight of the blade and his own magic accelerating his drop towards their enemy. He intended to execute the over-sized knight with an equally over-sized guillotine.

At the bottom of his brutal arc, Jack and Domingo recovered, and stood before a hollow suit of armor cleft in twain from the shoulder. It was no longer struggling, a massive cloud of soot dispersed from the equally massive split Jack inflicted. The only thing they could even see was the ember glow in its helmet. It wasn't moving, but it was only a matter of time before it started regenerating, so the duo got to work.

The blond earth mage dashed rapidly from etherspawn chunk to etherspawn chunk, absorbing them as quickly as he could and trying to keep as much soot as possible out of his eyes, nose, and mouth. The occasional coughing could be heard through the gloom, but there were just as many muffled laughs and cheers. The golems did their best to help; Billy sadly couldn't do much other than flail his arms through the ash in the air, but Bojangles more skilled hands shaped into crude fans and blew away as much of the obscuring soot as possible to keep the students' paces quick.

Nasrin launched another blast at the lumbering knight, a blast much smaller than her usual ammunition. It smacked the knight right on the forehead, dispersing into the air with an uncharacteristic lack of a power. But while the impact was unsubstantial, the monster's attention was now solely on the air mage. With a reluctant sigh, Nasrin took off, leading the knight further into her field of mines.

Off to the side, Zane was prepping himself to attack. His Blade Storm was primed, all four blades ready to find purchase in the knight. He carefully blinked behind the knight, launching a quick barrage of slashes at its sword arm, trying to break some of the etherspawn's offense. Ash spewed from the wound, but Zane was quick to absorb the ether this time around to avoid losing too much vision, blinking away before the Ash Knight could react.

Incisions dotted the knight's shoulder. Zane was a little disappointed that one round wasn't enough to lop off the arm, but he was certain that a well -placed shot from either him or Nasrin would sever it from the etherspawn. He figured he'd leave that job to her, instead getting ready for another assault, only this time with the intention to kill the creature.

The knight swung at its assailant with its free arm, only to swipe at air, a row of condensed pockets of air to be specific. The detonation sent ash spewing into the air and the etherspawn staggered back from the impact. Nasrin took the opportunity to close distance towards the knight, firing another shot, dispersing the ash and sending the knight's nearly severed arm and sword crashing into the ground.

Nasrin used her exertion again, and in such close proximity to the etherspawn, found no issue bringing it to a complete stop, momentarily frozen where it stood.

Using the opening his teammate created, Zane blinked in once more, driving all four swords into the base of its neck, one after the other, over and over. After several strikes, the blades ate away at the knight's core until it was split diagonally, the section of body with its head and free arm finally crashing down to the earth.

Zane gave Nasrin a look of acknowledgment, turning his attention back to the cleft torso of the Ash Knight, breaking down and absorbing its remains. He figured he'd leave the lower body and severed arm to Nasrin.

Grinning, Nasrin threw her teammate a thumbs up before breaking down her portion of the knight. Once she got to the arm, Nasrin was reminded of Zane's injury. "How is your arm?" she asked.

He hadn't even thought about it until now, and on cue, his arm throbbed in pain. The adrenaline must have worn off, and he was all of a sudden feeling drained. "Yeah, I'm not sure how bad it is. I think I'm gonna head over there and rest for a bit; check my arm out and see how bad it is, you know?"

While Jack absorbed the last of his kill's ether, Domingo rejoined the other members of his group. Certain lustrous portions of his skin began to fade as it returned from its metallic state. "Hey, you guys alright?" he asked, Domingo himself still looking energetic. "We got ours no problem!"

"We are okay," Nasrin replied, eyeing her dimming teammate with curiosity. "Zane is in time out though. He hurt his arm."

Jack approached the rest of the team with a victorious smile on his face. "Glad to see everyone's doing alright! This is pretty fun, and it feels good to soak up all that ether. It's like I'm brimming with energy!"

Domingo opened his mouth to say something only to stop abruptly. There was a sound, distant and repetitive. He put his fists up defensively in case the other knight had decided to show itself, but looking around he couldn't find anything. Yet, the sound grew closer. He began restoring his metallic skin, but before it could spread much at all, the sky was pierced by a thundering roar and a brief wave of heat collided with his body. It finally occurred to him to look up, where he saw a colossal dragon flying several hundred of feet in the air.

"Sh*t, run!" Domingo shouted at his teammates, shoving aside any who were close enough with his giant gloves. In the next instant, a scorched black meteorite plummeted from the sky, crashing down directly on Domingo and kicking up a cloud of ash and dust. Before long, the cloud faded to reveal the group's final target, kneeling on the ground with Domingo pressed into a crater under the tip of its blade. It slowly and menacingly stood to its full height, taller than its fellows, and lifted its weapon into a combat stance.

Down on the ground at its feet, Domingo gasped for air, struggling to recover from the impact. His mind raced to process all the information from his body, but it all said the same thing. He was in danger. At first he likened the mission to something fantastical out of a cartoon, but now all he could think of was the pain he felt. It was a pain he was familiar with, and that brought with it certain memories. He was afraid. His mind shifted to a singular thought: Am I dying? I don't want to die.

Despite the brutality of the attack he'd just taken, Domingo sprung from the ground with a scream. This was not a war cry, full of pride or rage. It was a shrill sound born from fear, sounding almost animalistic. He gripped the knight's head in his huge hand, and through his magic shot forward with his gloves, slamming the knight's head into the ground. A screen of ash spilled forth from the impact, blinding all who were near, but Domingo didn't let up.

While nothing could be seen from behind the dark wall, the uproar from within made it clear what was happening. A barrage of attacks, each hit sounding like an explosion, punctuated the continuous roaring at a rate that seemed unreal, with the sound of something breaking underneath with each smash. More and more soot flew out with every hit, and soon chunks of dirt and rock also began flying in every direction.

The onslaught was unrelenting, even as the dust and dirt began to disperse and the ash began to fade away, funneling into Domingo's body to further fuel his assault. It was only once everything was clear, revealing that Domingo's foe had long since faded away into ether, that the attacks stopped. Domingo froze and found himself staring into the great crater he had created, his breathing heavy and ragged, and his eyes wide and red. His body was caked in grime, but his tears had drawn clean lines down his face.

Slowly, he regained his bearings. His first thought was to look up, but the dragon was nowhere to be found. He then remembered his teammates. He whipped his head around in a panic, hoping beyond hope that they somehow hadn't seen what had happened. Everything about his body language said that even though the danger was gone, he was still very much on edge. He desperately wanted to say something, but couldn't find the words.

Having been tossed aside unexpectedly with strength she hadn't experienced before, Nasrin lost sense of what was happening around her. When she looked up, a faint mix of ash and dust crowded where she and her teammates had momentarily been standing. Once the particles had dispersed, the ash suddenly so, her eyes were wide with shock.

Nasrin and Jack hurried over to the crater's edge, each step revealing more of its depth. It wasn't long before Nasrin spotted Domingo standing in its center, covered in dirt, fidgeting in place. She was about to call out to him, but then noticed his distressed look and wet face. Nasrin felt uncomfortable just looking at him. Unaware of the events leading up to Domingo's current state, Nasrin bit her lip and shouted out to her teammate anyways, hoping she wasn't volunteering to listen to someone's personal problems. "Hey! Are you okay? What happened?" Jack chose to let her do the talking, stepping back and scanning the sky for the ash dragon once he knew Domingo wasn't in immediate danger, in case it came back.

Domingo frantically reached up to wipe the tears off his face only to forget the size of his gloves and smack himself in the face. He definitely wasn't in the mood for that, so in his frustration he pulled the offending glove off his hand, threw it on the ground, and kicked it a few times, cursing with each kick. After a few deep breaths, he finally turned to Nasrin. The tantrum seemed to have helped him calm down a little, though he still looked like a complete mess.

"Yeah, sure, I'm f*cking great." he answered, his tone a mixture of bitterness, desperation, and exhaustion. He was silent for a few seconds before adding, "...That was it, right? Let's get out of this f*cking place."

Sephear

Years

A Garden Stroll

(Grif would like to formally apologise for the atrocious French in this post. It is the result of piecing together sentences found on Google. Sephy is shameless, and offers no apologies of his own.)

Mindless wandering, as always, seemed to take Jack where he needed to be for the moment, or at least it took him to look around at all the flowers of Vale's nicest garden path on a warm, sunny evening, a soft breeze kissing his skin and gently messing up his hair. He took a deep breath of the fresh, fragrant air as he enjoyed the scene, and spent a moment to settle himself down. Jack practically dropped onto the ornate bench with a loud huff and leaned back against the wooden back rest as he tried to let all the stress from meeting his new team - and dealing with Zane again - drain out of his body as quickly and unceremoniously as possible. He simply bobbed his head slightly and kicked his feet until a song jumped into his head and he began to hum, and even sing a few lyrics under his breath. " ....Hmm hmmm ...Long and boring, no one can lift the damn thing." He sat there peacefully for a while humming and singing to himself to pass the time, disturbed only by the gentle, periodic footsteps of another student that came by to enjoy the very same atmosphere. Jack said nothing to those few that passed by him, although occasionally paused to watch them go about their business, and they said nothing to him, instead opting to just enjoy the peace and quiet, a rare commodity at Vale, Jack had certainly found. Or perhaps that was just because trouble found him.

He heard the sounds of footsteps again, more distinct this time, and growing ever so slowly closer. He briefly considered inspecting who had approached him, but instead opted to remain quiet and comfortable. There was a pause as the footsteps stopped, and instead he felt the gentle shift and sway of movement close to him, as the new figure gently rested itself on the other side of the bench he sat on. They too shifted in their seat, leaning back against the back of the bench and, much to his surprise, beginning to match his hum. He noted the voice, learning what he could from the soft, playful humming noise. Female and around his age, a student not a teacher, with a playful attitude and a steady sense of rhythm, if the way she played so easily around Jack's simple hummed tune was anything to go by. He wondered if it might have been someone he knew with how casually they approached him. Morgan, perhaps? Or maybe Flora had finally stumbled on him? Or perhaps even Shion? No, the former seemed to shake too much in her boots to ever approach anyone, he would have heard Flora's sing-song voice long before she had seen him, and the latter... well, Jack doubted she was the kind to unwind and relax in quite this way. Then who could it be? His mind briefly pondered back to the events of his first day here at Vale as he opened his eyes and finally looked upon the woman that had invaded his quiet spot in the park.

She winked back. "Good afternoon Jack, darling," said Violett, batting her eyelashes as she so often did, enjoying the way his expression changed from peaceful calm to quiet shock. "Been enjoying your first few days at Vale, I hope? Have to say, I was a little disappointed. I was looking forward to you calling."

He masked his surprise at Violett's appearance after a moment, offering her a tired smile in greeting. "Hey there Violett, it's nice to see you again. It's been an... interesting couple of days. I just got done meeting with my team, like I figure you probably did. I'm sorry if you felt ignored, I'm not really much one for calling people on the phone if I don't have something I need to tell them. And with the way Zane talked about your relationship, I figured it was better to give you some space, and if you wanted to talk, you'd find me. I'm not out to pick fights with any jealous rich boys, not that I'm managing to avoid having to deal with Zane anyways..." He let out a deep sigh and sank further back against the bench. "He just had to be on my team, of course."

"Oh, I knew you two would get along wonderfully," she teased, a soft smile crawling back onto her face. She brought a hand over to rest it atop Jack's, gently tapping her fingertips against the top of his hand. "Oh, Zane's been talking about me, has he? Should I be flattered, or?"

She left little time for Jack to reply. "Try not to get too irritated by him, sweetheart. It just makes him want to do it more if you let him know it's bothering you. Maybe try teasing him back one of these days and see if you can put him in his place. Maybe you'll hit a soft spot - just don't do it when I'm not around. I'd hate to miss it."

At Violett's touch, Jack almost recoiled, but he kept his wits about him and politely withdrew his hand from hers, a slight pink tingeing his cheeks. She smiled, and he blushed a little harder once he knew she had noticed. "If you're flattered by someone being possessive enough to threaten someone for talking to you. Ah well, que, sera cera." He sat in thought for a moment, then, just as Violett was about to respond he got a smile on his face and continued. "I did get him alright after he mocked me over a metal flower I made. Teased him because he'd made a hardlight ball and had a guy play with it, you can imagine where I went with that. Nothing special, but it was something, at least." It was only then that the implications of how Violett finished struck him. "Am I to take it from that that you two aren't an item like he made it sound? That's a bit of a relief...I don't mean I want to hit on you or anything, I just don't want to feel guilty for talking to you, or being friends."

"What can I say? I'm an optimist, and I'll take two boys fighting over me as a compliment." She laughed pleasantly, tapping her fingertips gently against the top of Jack's hand as she spoke. She turned her head slowly away from him to look off over into the distance, enjoying the flowers of Vale's gardens for a moment. "I know we've only spoken a few times, sweetheart, but do you really think if Zane and I were an 'item' as you say, that there would be even a sliver of doubt that we weren't? If you haven't quite yet noticed, modesty is not my strong suit. I thought I made that much abundantly clear. He's certainly a character though, and I suppose I don't dislike his company."

She sighed and closed her eyes, enjoying the gentle breeze for a moment. "So what brings you out here this evening? I took you for the type to enjoy the outdoors but I would never have guessed flower gardens would have been your escape, as pretty as they are."

"I really like flowers, I always have," Jack began, too swept up in nostalgia to pay Violett's teasing any heed, following her example and examining the various plants around them. "But it's thanks to my cousin that I really love them. She always had such a strong attachment to nature, plants and animals, but especially flowers. We spent a lot of time together because my family is so spread out, and few of the other kids therein shared many hobbies or circumstances with us, so our parents put in the extra to effort to make sure we visited each other often. She taught me about plants, and gardening, and made me realize how amazing plants are. Growing plants is one of the few ways in which humans are capable of creating life beyond childbirth, and planting still isn't really creating so much as nurturing... I've always been dedicated to finding a way to create life with magic because of it." When he finally managed to pull his mind out of his memories, Jack's face grew a bit red again at Violett's tapping on his hand.

"C-could you p-please stop touching my hand like that?" The contact was bouncing his thoughts between grabbing her hand, and pulling his out of her reach, but Jack didn't want to hurt her feelings - if he was even capable of it - and there was no way he'd hold the hand of someone he'd just met, especially out in public and with someone who seemed to like messing with him.

"Why, Jack, is someone getting nervous?" she asked, and gave him an increasingly familiar, but no less playful, wink. She held her hand in place for a moment, and then rather than letting go of it, she took Jack's hand into hers and slowly rose to her feet. She pulled gently, motioning towards the veritable maze of flowers that made up Vale's garden. He resisted, and she pulled at his hand a little firmer. "Come on, Jack. Walk with me, won't you?"

He was hesitant, but she was particularly insistent, and held his hand gently until Jack finally rose from his seat. "What're you-"

"I just asked you to walk with me, sweetheart, is that so bad?" Violett asked. Jack's expression told her more than enough. "Oh please. I promise, no tricks or devilish schemes. Just us two and a pleasant walk, you have my word."

His mind raced for an excuse at first, but something about Violett's claims of innocence stopped him from trying to get out of it all. She was clearly mischievous, but she also seemed honest. She seemed to love phrases that didn't verbally commit her to anything, but as far as Jack was aware, she hadn't lied about anything once since he'd met her. At that realization, Jack's entire body visibly relaxed and he even found himself just barely curving his fingers around Violett's hand with a nod. "Okay, that sounds nice." He stepped to her side, and began to walk with her through part of Vale's garden path, he even ended up comfortable enough not to let go of her hand. He'd never known before how nice it could be to follow someone else's lead, and in no time he was smiling, chuckling at the girl's sharp wit, and bringing out a few lyrical laughs and giggles from her with some humor of his own.

"And here I was, worrying you hated me," Violett chimed, catching note of Jack's joyous smile. They had walked for some time now, nearly ten minutes, and had chatted casually as they walked through the flower gardens. A few students turned to spy them and then away to whisper amongst their friends, catching sight of the way she occasionally tugged at his hand to get him to keep moving or overhearing the flirtatious comments she made, which Jack could only reply to with a fumbled attempt at hitting them back. He was not used to this kind of playful back and forth, as much as he was enjoying it, and oft received a soft smile and tilt of the head from Violett that might have seemed patronising if it had been anyone else doing it, but he was convinced it was just another one of her games.

The more they spoke the more Jack realized he was right to give Violett a chance. He couldn't take any of her flirting seriously - though that didn't stop it from forcing out his bashfulness - when it was so frequent, but that didn't mean they couldn't be friends. Eventually something occurred to him that would drive him mad if he didn't get answers. He couldn't place the exotic girl's accent. He had a few guesses, but he wasn't exactly an expert on the subject. "Hey Violett," He began, before his eyes widened and face reddened when it struck him that they'd been holding hands for quite some time. She turned her head to face him, gently released his hand to place both of hers on her hips, and waited. The poor, flustered boy was barely in a position to speak properly, so he simply swallowed his embarrassment and continued. "I don't believe I've ever asked where your family is from, so call me curious." There was one thing that was very familiar about the way she spoke, though it was different from all the other examples he'd heard, so he decided to hazard a guess. "Par hasard pourriez-vous être français?"

"Ja, und Ich bin Deutsch. Französisch spannender zu sein. Verführerischer, denken Sie nicht?" When Jack tilted his head in confusion, she only smiled. "You certainly respond better to my French at least."

She turned on her heel and returned to her steady walk, small heels tapping playfully against stonework. Jack followed. "That doesn't really answer my question. What did you-"

"French yes, raised but not born," she interrupted. "My mother is, but she fell for an enterprising young German businessman and settled in Germany with him for a few years until I was born. We left for France before I was a teenager though, and that's where I stayed until just a few short weeks ago. Oh, I'm sure I could talk for hours about myself if you really wanted me to, but what do I really get from that? So maybe we could play a little game, Jack? I've told you a little about myself, so why don't you tell me something about you? Does that sound fair, darling?"

Jack shrugged despite Violett's inability to see the gesture at that moment, and followed after her with a smile. "Sure, I'm always up for a game, especially when it means playing with someone who really knows how to have fun. What would you like to know?"

"I'd just love to hear about why exactly you know french. Et qui vous a appris à gérer une lame de façon exquise." She tossed behind her, playfully switching languages on a whim while Jack sped up to be by her side for their little game.

He felt a bit of laughter force itself out of him before he could answer properly, feeling himself flush lightly again at the thought of his answer, but by then he was relaxed enough to get over it quickly. "Both questions have more or less the same answer, though the reasons differ. My mother taught me. Fencing was always one of mom's favorite hobbies as a girl, but she was far too talented and had too much time on her hands to stick to just one style of swordplay. She kept practicing different forms until she was renowned as one of the greatest duelists alive today, both in England and in a few other places she managed to spend time making a name for herself. My parents actually met when Dad was commissioned by my grandfather to forge the perfect sword for my mom. He's always said the best way to get an idea of what someone needs in a weapon is to get a direct taste of how they handle it, which is why he has at least some basic skill in tons of different weapons, and he challenged my mom to a sparring match."

When her eyes wandered over to the boy beside her Violett couldn't help but notice the way Jack's eyes lit up while he told the story of his parents' meeting as if he were re-reading his favorite love story. Perhaps that is what it was to him? "She had him on his bum in seconds flat, he wasn't ready for her at all. And the first thing he did was burst out laughing... Honestly, I think he fell for her right there and then. She helped him up, they went a few more rounds so he could get all the information he needed, and made the sword. He couldn't stay away from her after that, and eventually they got married and had me." The girl's eyes widened ever-so-slightly for just a moment; the parallels between how Jack's parents met, and how she herself met the boy did not escape her, but she decided not to mention it for the moment.

Violett smiled more shrewdly when something else caught her attention, however. "It appears you've forgotten to finish addressing my first question, Jack. Why did your mother teach you French? Did you not just say she was English?"

"Well..." He began, starting to turn a bit red again. "Promise you won't laugh?" Before Violett could answer he continued, apparently trusting her not to give him too hard a time. "My mom's a total romantic, completely obsessed with love and... other things related to it. When I got a bit older she insisted that 'no son of hers was going to grow up not knowing 'the language of love'."

She did laugh, but it was soft and there was no malice to it. It was playful certainly, but Jack would have been surprised if anything she did wasn't. "She sounds lovely," Violett replied. "You would hardly know it by looking at him but my father is much the same way. A hopeless romantic through and through. I learned French through my mother and my environment, of course, but had things turned out differently I suspect he would have pushed me to keep learning it in much the same way."

The two walked in silence for a moment. "Well?"

"Well what?" Jack replied.

"I asked you a question, did I not? It's your turn."

"Oh, right..." Jack looked up in the air and thought for a moment before answering. He knew what he wanted to ask right then, but it was something he really couldn't hope to get away with without massive teasing, let alone to even get an honest answer. He doubted she'd care, but he opted to go with his runner-up. "What's your dream? What do you hope to get out of going to Vale, and to do after we finish school?"

"Oh, but you just asked two questions, my dear, and I can promise you that they have two very difference answers, " Violett replied, hands on her hips. "Although perhaps one day I'll take over where my mother and father left off. They met through business after all, so it seems rather fitting I inherit what they worked so hard to build, does it not? Carry on the family legacy, as it were." She tilted her head and smiled, in a manner softer than her usual, playful self. "We can't tell the future though, and if there were ever a magic in this world that could, I think that might spoil the fun, so who knows where I may end up in just a few years time?"

"So... What about your dreams?"

"Now now, Jack," Violett replied. "I think it's my turn to ask a question."

He sighed.

"You've been spending an awful lot of time with that Shion girl, haven't you? So is that the kind of girl you like? Red-headed and fiery-natured to match?"

From the instant the question began to leave those perfect, luscious lips, Jack's spine snapped ramrod-straight. His head turned towards Violett so slowly it was a wonder there was no audible creaking. "Shion? Oh we've known each other since before Vale, though w-we've only met a couple of times beforehand. Sure, she's beautiful fierce, infectiously passionate about the things that really matter to her, but we're just friends."

Violett continued smoothly. "Perhaps sweet young Iris, I know you've spoken to her too, as cold as she is distant, but there is most certainly a real human being beneath that icy exterior, I have no doubt."

"Poor Iris is trapped in a prison of her own making... I wish I could help but she's the only one who can break out." Jack answered, uncomfortable with how little he actually knew about how to answer.

Violett paused shortly, then continued again. "Or is it the ever so petite Morgan that's caught your fancy? Petite, bookish, and practically shaking in their boots, but that's just on the surface, I'm sure."

Jack finally seemed to shake off the nervousness that practically radiated from him when speaking of Shion, and continued confidently. "I think there are a lot of things to like about a lot of people. Morgan's definitely a cutie. She's so shy and nervous it just makes me want to hug her and tell her to relax, like my dad would, but I don't think that would really help with her, not without a lot of coaxing first."

Apparently deviating strongly from the real point of the question - other than to throw him off - Jack's eyes glazed over a bit and he turned away from Violett. He couldn't look anyone - least of all someone like Violett - in the eye while he gave his real answer, but he felt her watching him with those piercing, emerald green eyes all the while.[cut] His voice was barely a whisper, it carried to the girl, but he forced himself to assume it didn't and turned back to her with his smile back on. "I'd be a liar if I didn't say I also like beautiful, clever women with a flair for the dramatic, especially if they really challenge me, even if they judo-slam me right out of my comfort zone sometimes. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"Well, that depends, sweetheart," she replied, "on if that's your next question or not."

"I think that's enough for one day." Jack answered, letting his voice slip into a playful tone for once. "But I do have one last question for you, Violett. Could we do this again some time? Meet up, have a nice chat, maybe another walk?" His lips curled into a coy smile

He could tell that she was almost disappointed that he had stolen her chance to keep playing their little game. "Of course, darling, it would be a pleasure to talk with you again, and if you have any other burning questions then perhaps you'll be lucky enough to have them answered. There's a lovely little café in Ridgeton I'm sure you'd adore, say, this Friday for lunch?"

Jack's eyebrow raised slightly at the involvement of a café, especially after what Zane had said when things got tense at lunch the other day. Jack's meeting with Violett today had been innocent enough though, so there was no reason some tea and coffee couldn't be nice and casual too, right? It was the least he could do, after she'd cheered him up. "It's a date then!" He teased, glad he could finally let his sense of humor run (almost) free around her. "I'll see you then." He continued, beaming at her. "And thanks for sitting down with me, Violett, I feel a lot better now."

"It's no problem, sweetheart. I look forward to our 'date'." She almost looked surprised when he said that she had helped him feel better, but it was swiftly replaced with a warm smile. "It was my pleasure."

Last edited:

Colony

Years

Vale Institute of Magic
Thursday, September 10th, 2015: Adventure's for Dinner

Like clockwork, the chime for the day's announcement rang, followed by a familiar, yet recently absent voice.

"Hello, one and all, your student council president is back on the mic to bring you your daily news!

"We're on the third day of missions, in case you haven't been keeping track, and almost done with the first week of classes. That means we're only a couple of days away from a bit relaxation to recuperate from the fierce battles had this week, whether on the isles or on the practice fields. Oh, and all you freshmen out there better be hype for the pool party hosted by none other than your VP.

"The isles are looking to have some mild weather today, for all of you who are setting out on missions, so good news on that front. For all the freshmen who still haven't had their missions yet, no worries. Your classmates can give you some advice or encouragement if you're nervous. They obviously made it back in piece, so don't fret, you will, too.

"On the homefront, hope everyone is having fun with their classes and for those of you who are looking for some extra activity, there's always one of our several clubs and sports teams that would be super hype to have you. Just look around for something that interests, and I'm sure you'll be surprised with how many options you'll find.

"Aside from that, there's nothing left to report for now. Good luck, everyone. Have fun and make the most out of your day. This is your student council president, signing off."

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Zane Emerson and Kylie Byrd
Blink, And He's Gone

After the embarrassing incident yesterday, Zane decided he would need to double up on his training if he was going to stand above his sisters. It was bad enough that he was caught off guard during the mission, but even worse since Sophia was there observing his team. The fact that she stayed with him to make sure he was okay after the mission only further stung his pride, among other things. But today was a new day and he was already making plans to intensify his training. The first order of business was to do some intense magic training and he had a plan that would help him in traversing unusual terrain.

His goal was simple: get to the roof without using any stairs or ladders. Sounds simple, but he'd either need to blink multiple times in a matter of seconds to make it to the top, taking care not to smash into the wall or fall, or push his limits and blink the entire distance in one go. Standing outside, at the base of the first floor, Zane felt a bit more nervous looking up towards the roof. Three stories are a bit more intimidating at the bottom when trying to blink the distance in one go. But he figured that would be the more impressive feat and would actually push him towards bettering his magic.

Prepping himself, he looked up towards the ledge. All he needed to do was to get one hand, one foot up there, and he'd be able to pull himself up. He kept his eye on the ledge and let the spell wash over him. Fractions of a second passed, but for him every moment was measured and registered in his mind. Perhaps it was his being a mage that allowed him to recognize these tiny differences in time, perhaps it was related to his light magic. He wasn't sure. But he knew that it was this ability that allowed him to control his distance traveled. Normally, Zane's blinks only moved him around ten feet. This was about three times that distance, and he had no idea how it would affect him. When he rematerialized, his upper body cleared the roof. With only a moment to recognize his surroundings, he grabbed on to the ledge, almost falling due to his sore arm. After a brief scare, he lifted himself up onto the roof. Once he was up there, though, he noticed he wasn't alone.

Surprised to see a boy suddenly onto what she was sure was a solitary spot on the roof, Kylie exclaimed, "Woah, did you just...teleport to the roof?"

The astonsihed person was some red-headed girl of similar height as Zane, clad in what he could only assume was aviation attire. He looked her in the eye, kinda surprised that she was surprised.

"Yeah, but is it really that unusual? I mean, I know there aren't a lot of light mages, but I figured lightning mages would have similar abilities."

The redhead exclaimed, "Ooh, a light mage, eh? How awesome! I mean, I've only ever seen a few on my travels, and I'm quite fascinated by the speed of their technique. Of course." She chuckled a bit before adding, "I'm not bad in the speed department myself. Especially with Tipton at my side."

"Tipton? What, is that some sort of spell?"

With an excited energy in her voice, Kylie replied, "Yup. He's my dragon! An air dragon to be exact. You can call him my adventuring partner. A perfect partner for the likes of me." She pointed at herself and flashed a wide, crooked grin.

"A dragon? What, like a western dragon," he presented his left palm, crafting a European dragon of hardlight in the center of it. "Or is it more like an eastern one?" doing the same with his right palm, this time crafting a Chinese dragon. "What purpose does it serve in a fight?"

"It's a Chinese dragon." She summoned Tipton literally out of thin air and the white dragon came to the side of his summoner. "It helps me with razor wind attacks, it can physically attack with its teeth and claws and it can summon huge gales. It's pretty cool, yeah?" She looked to Tipton with an air of pride.

The dragon certainly was interesting to Zane, but nothing too shocking to him. "So, it's a conduit with teeth and a breeze? Not bad. Maybe I should try adding a turret system to my hedrons? It'd fulfill a similar purpose. Then again, they do enough as is. and adding functions don't always translate to better spells."

Kylie started stroking the creature's back. "That's why I keep it relatively straighforward and simple, nothing to get in the way of the majesty of the beast. Oh how this fellow makes me miss China." She spoke with a tone of enthusiasm and admiration. She perked up at the realization that she hadn't introduced herself. "Oh, where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself." Kylie held out her hand and exclaimed, "The name's Kylie Byrd, adventure extraordinaire! And you, mate?"

"How magical. I'm Zane Emerson, heir to one of the largest hydroelectrical energy manufacturers in the world, youngest child in a family of water and ice mages, and the only one to wield light magic. You may have heard of my sisters, Sophia and Ava, though they've long been gone from Vale. Well, I guess Soph did become a student teacher here this year."

Kylie nodded, "Yeah, I've heard of your sister and the Emersons. She's pretty fun to be around. Looking forward to seeing your sibling?"

A look of disappointment washed over his face. "Less than you'd think. Calling her
overbearing is a bit of an understatement."

"Hmm. I see. I guess it'd be nice to get away for a little bit then. It's like when I want to go out and scope a more remote locale to get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city. I certainly feel more at home in those places than my house back in Leeds. Certainly much more exciting to face the thrills and dangers of say, Yellowstone, than settling down in Leeds."

"Dangers? Unless you're diving into the volcano down there, I wouldn't exactly call Yellowstone a dangerous place for mages. Especially after seeing the islands in action."

Kylie pursed her lips as she replied. "I suppose not, but there is just some sort of charm that comes with taking in the sights and being away from it all. I can't help but get excited at the thought."

"Is that so? Personally, I take more pride in achievement. There's something special about working towards a goal and accomplishing it, whether it be crafting a new spell or beating someone you've lost to before."

The air mage merely shrugged. "Psh, what's the fun in that? It isn't a competition for me. I'm just here to explore all the exotic locales of the world, always on the knife's edge and triumphing over dastardly foes, like poachers and evil archaeologists! With me on the case, you can be sure--"

"That all the world's artifacts will find their place in a museum? How Indy of you. I, on the other hand, don't have the time for something so idealistic... or naive."

Kylie frowned at the blond boy who had just killed the mood. "No need to be so rude. I understand it's not for everyone."

He scoffed at his senior. "We've been given powers many would kill for, and while protecting artifacts sounds fun, it does little to progress mankind. We're the future, and we, as mages, have the power to change the world. Some of us realize that, so forgive me if I don't delude myself with fantasies of adventure. But if that's how you'd prefer to spend your time, then by all means, have fun."

Kylie crossed her arms and found she really did not like this boy's attitude. "Hmph. Do you have to be such a stuck up stick in the mud about it?"

"It's not like I'm stopping you from living your life the way you want to. I just think it's a waste of talent. If you think that makes me stuck up, so be it. It's not like your opinion fazes me in any way."

"Whatever, it's fine. It's not like you're the first spoilsport I've ever encountered. You do you, and I'll continue being me." She shook off that bit of unpleasantess easily, smiled and changed the topic. "Speaking of adventure though, have you done your first mission yet?"

"Yeah, just a simple search and destroy mission. Our marks were three Knights of Ash. Easy enough."

The redhead nodded. "Cool, cool. Was it loads of fun or what? I remember being in your shoes and having a blast!"

The girl had almost gotten Zane caught up in her pace, but her intrigue came off as a bit unwanted. He knew she was just making small talk, but it wasn't exactly like he wasn't busy trying to train. "Aren't you being a bit too nosy towards someone you've just met?"

"Come now, don't be like that. I was just curious on how you took it, y'know, being a freshman. It's something I ask a lot of the freshmen."

"Is that so? Do you interview every freshman while they're training, or does that make me special? Either way, I guess you'll be happy to know that it was interesting, though fun is not the word I'd use." His thoughts drifted to his throbbing arm, a reminder that these missions aren't simple field trips meant for fun and learning.

She shrugged. "It's usually when they're not training, but I'm always up for a good chat."

"Noted. Is that all?"

"Yeah. Good luck on your training, but remember mate, make the most of it. I already feel like these two years have passed by too quickly..."

"I'll keep that in mind." And before she even had a chance to say anything, he was already jumping off the roof, landing on hardlight platforms every few feet of the way. Once he was on the ground, he sprinted towards the dorms, no doubt to prepare for classes.

Sephear

Years

Earnest Endeavors

A towering figure loomed close, a small amount of light sliding over to illuminate it and reveal other nearby figures. An inhumanly tall woman in a Japanese shrine maiden's outfit leaned down to smile into his face, radiating what could only be called a comforting, motherly warmth. Her snowy white hair was mesmerizing, though it paled in comparison to the shiver of temptation that ran through him at the site of the equally snowy ears poking out from that hair. Beside the mystic goddess was an equally noble-looking woman, this one much more ethereal. The statuesque lady was adorned in a tunic of scales with an ever-shifting array of colors that went down to just above her knees, and nothing else. Her hip-length hair was a very pale pink, interspersed with occasional copper highlights, and it's nearly perfect strands went inexplicably astray in some places. Her lavender irises sparkled with laughter as she examined him, two insect-like antennae twitched happily on her forehead just beneath a platinum tiara, and a pair of prismatic wings shifting in sync with her tunic slowly waved to and fro on her back. Even as she smiled at him like he was a child up to some charming mischief, he found his gaze drawn down her arm to where she held hands with the next being in the line. The regal fae creature grasped an ornate gauntlet belonging to what looked like some faceless fairy knight, covered head to toe in ornate plate armor without a single gap or weak spot. The armor revealed nothing about who was underneath, but the wings on his back that matched his lady friend's, and the golden tiara worn over his helmet identified him as some sort of fae lord much like the lady he was tied to.

The other figures were all indistinguishable silhouettes until they all stepped aside to reveal the greatest of them all. This last god of some unknown world stood above all the others in black armor that gleamed like polished obsidian, with equally glittering gold trim. Though he was the most regal of all the assembled lords and ladies, no sort of regalia could be seen on him aside from the armor itself. His helmet ascended to sharp-looking, angular wings above and behind where one would expect to see wings, and had only one eyehole to see out of, from within which an ominous crimson light gleamed, promising nothing could escape its vision. In the king of kings' hand rested a spear long enough to be a pike were it not for the massive spade-shaped head at its end. The figure took a few steps forward and held up the spear in offering, and Jack found himself inexorably reaching out to grab it. The instant his fingers made contact with the haft of the glorious weapon his eyes shot open and he found himself staring at the ceiling of his dorm room as he had every morning since arriving at Vale. "Whoah."

No luck during breakfast, perhaps he'd find success outside with some effort? At least classes weren't due to start too soon. Jack left the cafeteria with a huff, his impatience to make his request taking the joy out of sitting and eating good food and scanned the immediate area to no avail. He had to find Shion, and the fact that the country's greatest school for extraordinary mages just so happened to be pretty big and occasionally chaotic wouldn't deter him, so he kept an eye on nearby roofs and continued his relentless search.

Jack's quest seemed fruitless until he stepped into workout room connected to the gym and instantly paled as a punching bag slammed into the wall nearby and burst, scattering sand along the wall and the floor nearby. Yeah, seems like her kinda place. He almost felt bad for the tatters of the inanimate object, so much so that he felt the murderized punching bag deserved a bit of mercy. A completely unnecessary wave of the finger accompanied the scattered bits of thick recycled cloth starting to come back together while sand rushed back into it from all around -- including Jack's hair and one side of his face. Jack hefted the resurrected sandbag and turned to the person who'd slaughtered it knowing exactly who it was before he even looked at her. "So, the bag get on your nerves?" he greeted with his usual friendly inflection.

"You just came in at the wrong time," she answered, brushing away some dust on her clothes that was left behind.

Jack feigned dejection and conceded, "Oh, sorry, I'll leave and try again." Shion stopped him as he turned away, asking him if he had a quip for everything. He certainly tried, he assured.

"So, what are you doing here?" Shion decided to take a break, looking at the repaired (yet still wholly abused) training bag. She grabbed a towel off a nearby chair to wipe the sweat off her face and arms and sat down in the empty seat.

"I want us to be sparring partners." Jack got straight to the point, doing a bit of stretching to prepare for his own bout with a punching bag. "Regularly, that is. Daily, weekly, whatever timeframe works for you. It's only starting to hit me now just how strong—even physically—we all are, and my first mission showed me how little I really know about fighting. I'm a pretty good swordsman, but I've got no experience at all with hand-to-hand fighting, and after watching Domingo beat an etherspawn into mush with his own hands, that feels like a waste." Jack slammed his fist into one of the punching bags and watched it swing back and forth a bit, lacking the experience to dive right into a good rhythm. "Shion, you're my first friend here... and the strongest person I know. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather learn from, even if it takes a good share of beatings before I can hold my own."

Shion hesitated to respond. Her expression was saying something like, "Let me clean my ears out." She blinked once. Twice. Then a double, as if his request was just setting in. Jack noticed a glimmer in her eyes, followed by a tinge of red in her cheeks, but she was back to what he considered normal a moment later when she stood from her chair.

She laid the towel back down, then moved to pick up her schoolbag next to her. Shion slung the pack over her shoulder, and answered, "Alright." Without looking Jack in the face, she told him, "You're so sincere, I'd feel bad if I turned you down." A pair of eyes met a pair of eyes, and an outstretched hand was reciprocated with the determination of a young man who didn't like feeling useless. She said they could start the next morning.

"Any good time I should be ready?"

"When do you normally wake up?"

Last edited:

Geras

Roleplayer
Years

Experiments Within Experiments Within Plans
Featuring Jack Marrick and Domingo Hernández

It only took a cursory inspection of the cafeteria for Jack to spot the gargantuan student sitting at one of the many tables by himself. He couldn't tell whether Domingo was by himself by choice, lack of options, or coincidence on account of there being many more seats than students. Either way, to him it was an opportunity. The young ethersmith hustled over to Domingo's table fast enough to make the mashed potatoes, turkey sandwich, and steamed broccoli to bounce on the tray. "Domingo!" He called a bit louder than necessary as he sat down opposite of his fellow earth mage. "Hey, how are you?"

Domingo almost jumped out of his seat at Jack's sudden appearance, looking rather skittish for someone of his stature, and demeanor, and everything else, really. Jack's friendliness was also surprising, but it helped Domingo settle down enough to respond properly. "Oh, uh, yeah man, I'm doin' alright I guess." He fiddled with his food a bit, looking down at it with a disheartened expression. This didn't last long, as he suddenly lit up, turning to Jack with wide eyes. "Oh yeah, Jack! You can teach me, right? The golem thing?"

For what must have been the first time since he arrived at Vale, Jack was rendered genuinely speechless, if only for a good seven seconds. He just sat there, blinking, completely thrown off guard by someone asking him to teach them something. "I think so...I've never really taught anyone anything before...except for my cousin, but we already shared a lot back then. I could definitely try!" After that Jack finally wiped the surprise off of his face and grew more confident. "But what I'm here about right now is something that already plays into strengths each of us already possess. First thing's first, I'd like to thank you, Domingo. That beatdown you gave that Ash Knight really inspired me to work on my skills at fighting with my hands, which pushed me to start learning from someone, and she said yes! Before I get too off track I'll just spit it out. I wanted to ask you if I could work on your gauntlets, touch'em up to hit harder and protect your hands better? I was also wondering if you'd be willing to help me out with some experiments later, that could make us both waaayyy stronger if they succeed."

The slightly larger boy averted his gaze at the mention of his "beatdown", but the the later parts pulled his attention right back. "Oh yeah, you make weapons and shit, right?" He thought back to the cowboy teacher who gave everyone their weapons on the first day. He pulled his gauntlets from the strap on his waist and put them down on the table, their weight making his plate and the sandwich on top of it jump. "They protect my hands just fine, but hitting harder sounds pretty fuckin' sweet. But more importantly, what's this experiment shit you're tellin' me?"

"Well..." Jack muttered, leaning across the table so it was less likely that anyone else might hear him. "You know how things made with ether can hold magical energy, since they essentially are magical energy in a solid state? Well I've been trying to think of a way to...how should I say this...crystallize ether? Refine it? Think of a diamond as opposed to a rock. I want to make ether more and more dense until I can have a metric ton of ether in a small orb, like a crystal ball fortune tellers use, I'm thinking of calling them 'Ether Cores'. And then I want those cores to be the fuel and catalyst for donning etherforged armor! If we can make weapons out of ether, why not armor, right? And if the orb that contains it is made with a bunch of energy and raw ether from the person who's going to use it, then maybe they could sync with it? Either way, it wouldn't be as tiring thanks to the core to maintain the armor, but it would still be the user's magic it was connected to, so besides protecting you it could also make you stronger, or faster! You'd just have to train yourself to unconsciously use bits of your magic power to move the armor the same way your body is moving, and it's impossible to predict just how much stronger it could make you!" By the end Jack realized he was standing up, and had raised his voice a bit, turning him beet red and causing his butt to slam back down in his chair before he hid his face against the table. "Anywaysthat'smyideaandIwashopingyou'dhelpmemakeoneofthosecorethingsforyou..."

It took Domingo a bit to process everything Jack had just told him, but once it did his expression made it clear that he liked what he heard. "I don't really get Ether, but the rest of it sounds fuckin' awesome! So it's like a full suit, like some medieval knight shit? 'cause I could totally go for something badass like that! Though… How exactly am I supposed to help you with that? I mean shit, man, I can barely even make a shitty little rock flower."

Jack nodded enthusiastically to Domingo's approval. "That's right, like a knight in plate! As for what I need from you, it's energy." The experimental young mage raised his right index finger and swirled it around matching thought with motion as dust gathered together to form a small sedimentary stone on their table. "To go back to my earlier comparison: think about a diamond as opposed to a rock. This plan of mine to make ether cores would contain so much ether in such confined space, the progress would be similar to a piece of coal becoming a diamond, it will take massive amounts of energy being compacted with a lot of effort and strength." His hand slapped the dust sphere, scattering it all to orbit around both Domingo and Jack momentarily before completely dissipating from view. "It could take a long time for me to gather together enough ether to do all that myself, even regularly going on missions. So I propose that both of us save up as much of our own spare energy and as much raw ether from missions as possible over the next two or so weeks, then meet up and combine what we've gathered for the first attempt at making an Ether Core. If we succeed, as thanks for helping me, the first one will be yours, and we'll work on the armor from there, since it will be easier for me to do it myself the next time. And since much of the ether that made the core will have been from you, it should be that much easier for you to control!"

Domingo looked down pensively at Jack's explanation. "Those girls taught me how to use my ether to make stuff yesterday, but how do I just give you ether? Do I just give you stuff made out of it? As for ether from missions, if it's like the armor pieces from the last one then sure, I'll give you whatever I find. I'm a little bummed it's gonna take so long, but if that's what it takes then I guess I've just gotta deal with it. Where did you even learn how to do all this shit with ether?"

"Ether basically becomes raw energy once we absorb it as far as I can tell. If that's right...then I think that giving someone ether would just be like how we absorbed it from the etherspawn...but in reverse, if that makes any sense?" Jack attempted to explain, despite not being one-hundred percent sure himself. "As for learning about ether, that's an easy one! I learned from my dad!" He proclaimed, puffing out his chest proudly. "My dad's one of the best Ethersmiths in the world, especially when you consider he's a regular blacksmith too. In fact, I can point out at least two students here at Vale who's weapons were made by my dad - with a little help from me. I've basically been working my butt off at learning all this stuff since I was five!"

There was a wistful look in Domingo's eyes he was unable to hide when Jack mentioned his father. "You two sound pretty close... But shit, man, five!? That's nuts. I didn't learn shit when I was a kid." After remembering his sandwich existed, he took a huge bite of it, still chewing when he added, "So I'm gonna help you with the core things, but when can you help me make golems?"

Jack nodded happily. "Yeah, we are. It was easy to start learning because it was all exciting to me as a kid, so it wasn't that different from playing games. They were just games that taught me a lot. As for the golems, we can start with that whenever you want! Why don't we set up a regular schedule for meeting up and practicing? Maybe after classes each day?"

"Sounds good!" Domingo nodded, his smile managing to return. He opened his mouth to say more when he noticed other students getting up and putting their trays away. "Oh shit!" He panicked, shoving the rest of his sandwich in his mouth before standing himself. "I forgot I was supposed to leave early to see the teacher! I'm headin' out. See ya, man!" Without waiting for a response, Domingo gathered his things and hurried off.

"Oh, alright... See you later!" Jack found himself waving pointlessly at Domingo's back as he left, then leaned back in his chair and whistled lightly to himself. Consistent plans for before class and now after class too? So much for worrying about boredom.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
"We're pressed for time, so I'm gonna get right down to it." An hour before lunch, Iris' team was called into action by their supervisor and resident Surfer Dude, Allan. "Believe it or not, unlike everyone else, you're not gonna be required to kill anything if you don't want to. You'll probably have to, but you won't necessarily need to. Instead, you're going after an item, like a fetch quest. I'm not allowed to tell you what it is, but I'm told it's very important to me, so you'll probably know what it is when you see it. I mean, it's not my board or my hair gel, but my girlfriend won't stop giggling. I'm kinda worried."

For about five minutes, Allan tried to explain what they were up against while giving them a quick lay of the land. Or... hotel, as it were. A tall, dilapidated building built with a vaguely-curved wall. Floors were collapsed and making paths into each other, walls were falling apart, and housekeeping was nowhere to be seen. Low groans, however, were heard inside. The zombies of hotel reception. Or just zombies. Probably just zombies.

"Yeah, you're going through zombies to get whatever she hid here. They won't turn ya into one, but they'll still try to eat ya. I'll be keeping watch to make sure nobody gets eaten. Sound good? Good. Good luck, girls."

"And he's gone." Lauren couldn't help but note Allan's hasty disappearance in his attempts to urge them to move as quickly.

Iris chimed in with a plan, hoping to get things over with herself, as well. "If we're after an item, it'll be easier to search if we split u—"

"Haven't you ever seen a zombie movie?!" Lily interrupted, exaggeratedly clutching Iris' shoulders like she'd just said something heinous. "Whoever gets separated always dies first. Can you imagine if everyone's alone?"

"She's right, Iris," Violett replied, drawing her blade from its sheath and slowly drawing herself up into a stance before relaxing it. "It'll be best if we stay together. We wouldn't want anything happening to that pretty face of yours, would we?"

She smiled, and brought a hand up with an upturned palm, letting the air just above it crackled and burn, before forming a tiny flame that illuminated the outer walls of the hotel far more fiercely than the tiny flame should have. She took a few tentative steps forward, leading the group onwards, her blade raised and beginning to glow a soft orange colour as she walked. "Well?" Violett said, turning her head over her shoulder towards the rest of her companions. "Shall we go? No use in dallying, is there?"

Sighing, Iris mumbled, "Indeed." The blonde mage readied her own weapon, briefly thinking how bizarre it was to face actual zombies before keeping a slight but noticeable distance away from the rest of the team. She was careful to not remain too far away from the team, but she seemed to be more tacked on add-in rather than a proper teammate. Not that her teammates were willing to give her the chance to feel that way. Lily shot Lauren a glance up front, and the latter was quick to slow his steps long enough to match Iris. Neither were dissatisfied with the arrangement. Lauren was quieter than the others; she didn't have to worry about getting caught up in a conversation with Lily or an argument with Violett. Lauren was able to keep a better watch on things, and keep Iris from getting herself eaten.

Continuing on, at least staying away from Violett, Iris continued her pace, looking at the scenery around her. In her mind, she was formulating all sorts of ways she could be using her Earth magic. Unfortunately, Iris begrudgingly admitted that she had been perhaps more fixated on the technicals, the theories behind what she could do rather than practice. Violett had helped a bit, pushing her to practice with them, but she was still stuck on some of her old habits of being a shut in and subsequently working as such.

The group arrived at the central door to the hotel, a flimsy thing that was practically hanging off of its hinges, left slightly ajar and, on closer inspection, was decorated with the faintiest smear of blood in the shape of a hand print near the door handle. Violett pursed her lips, pressing her ear up to the door so that she might hear what was inside. Shuffled footsteps, as if something were limping, and then an echo of telltale moans that they had heard when they had first arived. She heard... four? Maybe five individuals, as they shambled about what Violett saw through the tiny crack in the partially opened door to be a lobby. She couldn't see them, but she knew how to draw them out.

Violett silently turned to her companions and brought a finger up to her lips, silently telling them to keep their voices low, as she brought her hand to her lips and blew a playful kiss into the air. The tiny spark of flame that she held danced in the faint current of her breath, gliding through the tiny gap in the door and lazily floating through the hallways, spilling light into the darkened corridors before it came to a stop in the very corner of the lobby, and hovered there glowing brightly. She waited, her breath held, until a deep, gravelly groan echoed from the hallways. She saw a silhouette next, as a lumbering figure came to inspect the light, bringing up a hand slowly to inspect it. There was another shuffle and a moan, softer this time, but nothing came to inspect the light. Violett frowned.

"So, they are perhaps not as dimwitted as I first thought," Violett murmured, just loud enough for her companions to hear.

Lauren mentioned a new plan. "It might be better to use brute force and clear them out."

"My specialty." Lily happily tapped the pommel of her dual swords together to prove her point. Droplets of water were already settling onto the blades.

"If necessary, I can provide cover if their numbers are overwhelming."

Drumming her fingers on the shaft of her spear, Iris noted the twins' weapons and powers as she had observed through the training sessions, formulating a response to the twins, "I can make sure that they don't get too close, I guess." Soon enough, the entire group agreed to follow through with Lauren's idea. As long as they kept their wits about them, nothing would go wrong.

Unfortunately, Lily was not known for wit. She crossed her blades, stepping into the hallway. One of the zombies noticed her presence, opening its mouth as if to speak, but its throat was filled with a flooding jet of water. The entire hall was cleaned out in one direction as the living dead piled up at the end, the other side leading upstairs via a fallen second floor. When she finished her work, Lily laughed under her breath. "Violett and I can start checking rooms," she told them, immediately getting to work in rooms that were all surprisingly untouched by the water. She moved a lot faster than her brother, after all, and he had the better escape plan.

The raven haired girl nodded in response, and followed more patiently after the smaller girl. She too inspected the rooms with Lily, albeit more slowly and cautiously, bringing her ear up to the door as she had done before to inspect the rooms for signs of life where Lily joyfully barged in swords blazing. Those that were silent Violett entered more confidently, but those where she heard noise she entered with her blade drawn. She aimed for their throats first when they came into her reach, bringing her sword upwards to pierce straight through the rotting flesh, and then pulled sharply to the side to tear their throats clean out. She had heard them groan, and while she could comment very little on their intelligence and willingness to work together, that meant they had the capacity to shout, which might have turned them into a beacon for the other shambling corpses to focus in on. Those that Violett attacked now spluttered and coughed, unable to speak or breathe if they even needed to, before a flurry of blows tore apart their limbs and seared through their bones, and they collapsed upon the floor in a heap. She was surprised by how resilient they were, and even now she was forced to pin a detached arm beneath her boot as it squirmed and writhed, still mobile despite the fact its body was pinned to the wall on the other side of the room, Violett's sword thrust between its ribs and into the wall behind it. It grasped her ankle and she crushed it beneath her boot with a sickening crack, and after a moment of squirming it slowly fell still.

"Disgusting," Violett remarked to herself as she paced slowly towards the corpse upon the wall. It seemed to be one of the hotel staff, or what remained of them; it hardly looked human anymore, the skin missing from most of its face and, thanks to Violett's efforts, its limbs tossed in opposite corners of the room. She drew her sword and brought it upwards, cleaving straight through it, and it too fell still. For now, at least. She was sure she had seen a few of them start to move even after such an unrelenting assault on their form. "Lily, darling, there's nothing here eith—"

A figure lunged at her, emerging from the bedroom's adjoining bathroom, small but quick as a second shambling corpse reached out to grab her, arms outstretched. Violett stumbled, forced to fall to one knee before bringing the sword upwards in a fierce strike, her sword erupting into flames as she did so. The monster grabbed her shoulder and pulled at it sharply, the thrust of her blade going wide and slicing across the side of its neck, not straight through the centre. She used the momentum to rise though, and tore herself from the zombie's grasp by throwing herself forwards, and kicking back into the creature's leg as she passed it.

Her worries were realised as it did not lunge at her again, but instead its face twisted and contorted as its rotting mouth opened wide, letting out perhaps the most nightmarish scream Violett had ever heard. It was overwhelmingly loud, her ears ringing even after the deathly scream ceased, and she was forced to drop her blade to cover her ears before she was deafened completely. She was far from defenseless without her sword though, as she fought through the pain and brought her foot up in a high kick, forcing the heel of her boot into the corpse's neck, hitting with enough force to drop it. Violett brought all her weight forward, the thin, sharp point of her heel piercing through not just the zombie's neck but also its spine, silencing it permanently.

The damage was done though, as its hallowed scream was mimicked by another zombie, and then another, and then another, a choir of haunting voices that was followed by the heavy beating of what must have been over a hundred footsteps. Violett's eyes widened as she retrieved Flüsterte Asche from the ground and stepped out of the room, driving her fist forward to crash into another zombie that had come to inspect her, erupting it with a tiny but intense burst of flame. "Lily, where are you? We need to get back to the others. Now."

"Iris, let's grab them and get moving. We probably can't stay in one spot much longer." The other duo had just finished boarding up external entry points like windows, and Iris blocked off the main entryway with a large stone wall when the piercing screams started to subside. It was hard for them to believe their ears weren't bleeding, but they got through it, and started to move toward the end of the hall where the recon team was located.

A guttural growl accompanied raucous cracking of wood and stone. It was close, but the ceiling didn't fall toward Lauren and Iris. On Violett and Lily's end, it was brought down like an attic stairway, collapsed underfoot and fist by an eight-foot hulk of an undead. Iris tried to break it down with her magic, but the wood she couldn't control kept it intact.

"Dammit."

"We'll have to find another way to get to them," Lauren told her, gesturing back toward the other broken ceiling. Three, four smaller zombies were already heading their way. "We need to move before we're overrun."

Spying the swarm, Iris thought of an alternative suggestion. Concerned about the swarm of zombies coming their way, the blonde suggested, "Wouldn't it be best to pin these guys instead? Do something to stop their progress?"

"I'd rather keep that as a backup plan." Lauren threw his glaive straight through the squad of walking corpses, and wrapped his arm around Iris' waist without hesitation. Before she could protest, though, she was overcome with a minor case of serious brain damage disorientation. Lauren released her, and they watched the zombies continue shambling until they hit the collapsed ceiling that blocked their way to their teammates. "It doesn't look like their tracking is any good. The screams might be positional; we can check the rooms without much trouble if that's the case."

"What about the others?"

"They're good fighters. They can handle themselves. We just need to meet up with them as soon as we can."​

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
"Guess this thing doesn't need its brain. Any other ideas, Vi? I watch zombie movies, but usually that works."

"I've got nothing, hun."

A now-headless hulk, and a growing swarm of blood sacrifices for the blood god shambling in behind it.

"Looks like we might be biting off a little more than we can chew, Lily." Violett leapt over a swing of the giant zombie's arm. With a swipe of her arm, her blade extended into its links, and wrapped around the limb. One foot back, she kicked herself off the window with a practiced grace only attained in sharp heels, then hopped over the (quite literally) brainless monster, bringing it down to its back before recalling her sword.

Lily made two quick strikes with each of her own weapons, water lengthening the edge and leaving droplets in the damaged limbs. They immediately froze, expanding and segmenting the body entirely. "My mom always did say I have an insatiable appetite."

Even when there was little left but severed appendages, the hulkzombie's body parts continued flopping their way over to the pair. It would have been cartoonish had it not been so nauseating. Nobody ever mentions the smell in movies. "How is this thing still moving?"

"This is more normal for monsters than the other zombies. We need to eat it."

"Lily, darling," Violett commented, laying a hand on her shoulder and nonchalantly kicking aside a flailing arm across the floor, "that is the most unappetizing thing I have ever heard."

"Wha—not that kind of eating! Lauren and I had to do it before. Basically, uh... we turn it into... magical energy, and absorb it. Like, eating through your skin, I guess?" Lily tried explaining it, but she was clearly having trouble. Then she groaned. "I really don't wanna touch those things. They're so gross. Maybe we can do it through our swords or something."

"Well, if that's what we have to do. I'll create a diversion; you show me how that works, okay?"

Shortly before the rest of the swarm got close enough to make suicidal dives, the air exploded between them and the duo, blowing the etherspawn back. In the same space, the view became distorted not unlike a mirage. Attempting to ignore the strange display, the first zombie dived into the wall of intense heat Violett created. It was instantly kicked back by the pressure, but not without losing half of its face to what could have believably been called "direct contact with molten lava". She wasn't sure how long that would last.

To show Violett how the absorption was done, being a horrible teacher who used actions better than words, Lily stabbed one of the Hulkspawn's severed arms like a kebab, and raised it to eye level. Blue particles trailed from her hand to the edge of her sword, and soon enough enveloped the shishkelimb. It started shrinking, disappearing like a necrotic virus was devouring it, and the glowing lights streamed back into Lily's body.

"Kind of like that," she commented when she finished. Not very helpful. "It'll feel like you're eating the magic out of it or something."

With a sigh and an odd loss in self-confidence, Lily concluded, "I wish Lauren could be the one telling you this."

"Nonsense," the young Fürst-Shaw replied, pricking a large portion of her blade's tip into the monster's torso. After some concentration, she, too, was able to break the piece down and absorb it into her body. "I believe I have the gist of it now. Have a little more faith in yourself, sweetie."

Completing their "meal" brought on a jolt of energy that Vi hadn't experienced in the past. She could finally see why Lily referred to it as eating.

"Now, what say we continue our little quest? The other two should be on the other floors searching by now."

Cheerfully agreeing, Lily used her flood stream again, freezing over the pack of undead in their way. One tight arc of Flüsterte-Asche swung down the broken hallway later, and the corpses shattered one after another, clearing the path for them to continue on what they now called their side of the hotel.

"Nothing in here either." Or, at least, there wasn't anymore. The sound of Iris' voice was joined by the smacking of stone against flesh against stone. "Any luck?"

After Lauren denied any progress in their search for the unnamed, ever-important MacGuffin of only the highest import, he and Iris took a few moments to decide on what to do next. Perhaps it would have been easier with someone who would blindly charge in, but where would they find someone like that?

"Hey!" A loud shout called to the two, succeeded by the blood-curdling shriek of zombies coordinating their own next move. Down the hall was sister Lily and comrade Violett, the former of whom immediately regretted her decision to yell, as the rest of the floor started charging toward them. Took some work off this pair's shoulders, at least. Through some obscure hand motions, the twins signaled their intent to continue covering the last two floors the way they currently were, then Lily moved to help Violett fend off the monsters. Somehow, more were spawning in, even forming out of the carpet as if called on, and the screams were getting more and more irritating the more the team had to hear.

"How do you even understand her?" Iris uttered with a bemused inflection. In her defense, though, Lily seemed to just be flailing about halfway through whatever conversation they may have been having.

"Twin instinct, I suppose, or maybe I'm just used to it. Won't lie, she does still throw me off from time to time." Lauren paused, then spoke again with a sense of urgency in his tone. "We should go before we're collateral damage." Whether it was by the zombies or the mages at the other end of the hall with wide area spells, Iris couldn't tell, but she didn't want to question it.

So, Iris and Lauren left the others behind, taking the stairwell up to the next floor at their end of the hall. Zombies were just crawling out of the floor, and the closest one managed to catch a glance of the pair before it even stood up. Iris started gritting her teeth, ears already grated enough. She stepped in front of Lauren, her arms outstretched. The concrete walls on either side bent and broke into her hands, and bringing them together with a massive clap Iris screamed, "Shut up!"

The entire third floor rolled, a hand-sized strip of the interior walls and windows being ripped clean through the building. Like a wave, the strip collapsed inward, indiscriminately crushing every single zombie ahead of them in succession. The stone fell to the floor with an incredible thud, leaving a notable dent, and some sections more broken through than they already were. Iris was left breathing slow and heavy for a solid ten seconds before she recomposed herself. She looked at Lauren, terrified that she may have... well, terrified him, but he chuckled at her expression and smiled, saying, "That was really cool." It managed to make Iris break down, and laugh a little herself.

They decided to get to work on their search instead of lingering any longer, as Lily and Violett managed to make it to the third floor on the other end. They must have felt talking could wait, too, as they started clearing out their rooms when they arrived.

Creaking and cracking found its way to Iris and Lauren's ears, but Iris paid it no mind. She found something far more interesting. "I think I got it!" she called, picking it up out of the rags from a dusty closet, and ran back into the hall to meet with her team. However, it wasn't her team with which she met.

"Careful!" Lauren jerked her aside. Iris was about to protest like before, but heard a resounding crash coming from the stairwell that kept her from doing anything more than opening her mouth. She was looking out the door, but her eyes soon enough wandered back, and Iris found herself uncomfortably close to her partner, who had held her still.

She dismissively told him, "O-okay, you can let go now," and was promptly released, but there was no denying the intense red glow coming off her cheeks. She shook it off, and continued. "I think I found what we're looking for."

Lauren, distracted by the passing threat, became equally embarrassed at the look of the oh-so-important object requiring extraction. There was a cute little note tied to it with their supervisor's name on it in calligraphic lettering. "Yeah, I think that's it. Let's grab Lily and Violett, and get out of here. We don't need to worry about fighting any more of those things."

Avoiding the second hulkzombie of the day, the entire team grouped back together, and both Violett and Lily were just as disgusted at what they were supposed to retrieve. "Whatever," Lily commented. "As long as we get out of this place. Zombies taste like rotted trash." Violett couldn't help but share her sentiment; however, the sick taste in her mouth may have been due to the object rather than a case of indigestion.

"Let's just go."

"So..." Allan asked them back on the school's side of the portal stone, "it was a lunchbox?"

"Yeah."

Iris handed Allan the little, shining metal lunchbox, and he pulled the attached paper away to read. It said "Allan's Eyes Only". Hopefully none of the freshmen read it. He unfolded it, and his headvoice was the high and cheery tone of his girlfriend's as he read it to himself.

Hey, sweetie. I hope it's not too cold by the time you get this. I packed a really special lunch today for the dreamiest guy in the world.~

Make sure you take care of those kids, okay? If you can't do that, how could I expect you to take care of ours?

XOXO
Your little darling, Jessie

"How thoughtful," he muttered through his teeth, a clear hint of fear in his voice that he desperately hoped none of the others were able to pick up on. Before he left them, he added, "Ah... anyway, you guys are dismissed. Good work today."

Last edited:

Colony

Years

Vale Institute of Magic
Saturday, September 12th, 2015: Are You Wet Yet?

With the first week of classes behind everyone, the weekend was finally here. While most of the students were relaxing or enjoying their personal time, one man was on a mission to rally the new students for a bit of community-building. By the time 10 o'clock rolled around, the intercom came to life.

"Helloooooo, everybody, this is your student body VP, Allan, here to remind you all that it's that time of year again! It's time for the annual freshman pool party! All freshmen are required to attend, but don't worry, it's not some typical school mandated event. There will be fun times for all, whether you're the sociable type or you prefer a little alone time. It's my guarantee that you will remember this day as one of the best during your time here.

"I won't go into too much detail as to what the event will be like, since you'll see it soon, but you should all be there by 12 o'clock. The party will be on the Isles, so you'll need to use the Portal Stone to get there. No worries, I've gotten the coordinates all settled for the jump, all you guys have to do is use the stone by noon. And remember, it's a pool party. There will be water, so bring a swimsuit. That's all I've got right now, so I'll see you there."

Before the intercom could click, another voice came over the speakers. "Hey, guys, this is Chris, just letting you know that the pool party isn't required, and obviously upperclassmen are welcome to join us if you feel like it. Still, it's a great opportunity to meet people and make friends, so I would highly suggest you go and have some fun. That's all I wanted to say, and I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend."

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Zane Emerson and Julie Nguyen

Down the Rabbit-Hole

Julie bit her lip and clutched her bag even closer to her chest. Her knuckles were almost white from where she was gripping it as though her life were on the line. She was seated in the dorm common rooms, trying not to imagine how she must look to all the jovial passersby. Many of them were heading out, either to the pool party that had been announced earlier that day, or just in general to spend their free time doing something either fun or productive.

And here she was, all alone and hunched over her bag, hilariously hyperaware of the otherwise innocuous swimsuit that she'd packed inside. She knew that she should just make up her mind; go to the pool and potentially make some new friends, or return to the relative safety of her room and work on not failing out of the school. The more she thought about going to the pool, however, the more her muscles seemed to lock into place. If anyone cared to look closely, they'd probably see the dazed panic splashed across her features as she tried to will herself to do anything at all.

"A bit nervous, huh?"

Julie looked up to see the origin of the words, seeing the blonde guy standing in front of her.

"So, I'm guessing you're planning on going to the pool party, right? At least, I'm guessing that's what the bag's for."

Julie could feel the blood rush to her face as she stammered, "I-I was... I was just... resting..." She trailed off lamely, unable to summon the ability to even finish the sentence. For a moment she simply stared at the other student. If a person could get a blue screen of death, that's what had just happened to Julie.

The boy just smiled back, or maybe it was a smirk. She was too preoccupied to really notice. In one quick motion, he slid into the chair across from her, finding a comfortable position before responding to her addled state.

"I know I'm beautiful, but you'll make me self-conscious if you keep staring at me so intensely."

Her eyes widened as she regained cognitive function, and she quickly looked down at her hands. "S-sorry. I just... wasn't expecting anyone to talk to me," she said, incredibly flustered. The blood rushing in her ears was almost deafening at this point, though a part of her was certain that she was being made fun of somehow. After a second, she peeked up at him through her bangs.

He laughed at her response, but the intonation seemed off. Was it mocking or was it more amused? It was hard to tell, but the boy definitely seemed entertained by Julie's nerves.
"How could I ignore someone who looked so lonely and in distress? Especially on a day where we're supposed to be having fun, meeting new people, and hopefully getting some magic practice."

Julie wasn't entirely sure how to react. It was somewhat disheartening to hear it confirmed how pathetic she looked, but he seemed quite nice, even if there was always that edge to his actions. Hesitantly, she smiled at him. It was partly an ingrained polite response, but partly because she really was grateful for some company after what felt like days of isolation.

"I-I suppose I might be a little nervous," she replied with some chagrin.

"And there's nothing wrong with that," he replied, still offering his amalgamation of a smile. He leaned towards Julie, closing the distance between them as much as he could while still appearing composed. "This is a new, unsettling experience for many. Most kids our age haven't ever been this far away from home, so everything feels magnified when our anxieties pop up. What matters is how we all decide to deal with them. What good is there in allowing our chances to fall to the wayside, all because we got scared? But feeling nervous is to be expected."

The smile froze a little bit on Julie's face and she had to consciously stop herself from physically leaning away a little bit at both the somewhat unexpected encroachment on her personal space and the very unexpected spiel of words that were sprung her way. Her eyes darted around surreptitiously to see if anyone was paying them any attention as her mom's voice echoed in her head with words of warning about boys.

But she didn't think he was trying to be threatening or anything. Really, he'd been nothing short of considerate. And she really, really didn't want to do anything to hurt or offend him.

Slowly, because she'd gotten the feeling that his speech hadn't been entirely directed at her, she asked him, "...Are you nervous?"

The look of his countenance changed, the playfulness shifting ever so slightly to something more serious.

"Right this second? No. But I have plenty to be worried about. The girl I was supposed to meet stood me up, and a little birdy told me something that might explain why she did. One of my sisters would have me dead if it meant she could take over the family business. And there's also all these expectations people place on me because I'm one of those lucky few who can use light magic, and yet I can't even beat this one girl. Still, I don't let my nerves stop me, I use them to sharpen myself."

Julie was almost speechless. Everything he'd said sounded like something out of a novel and made her own anxieties pale in comparison. "That's... I'm sorry," she said sympathetically. She couldn't help fidgeting a little as she struggled to find the right words. With no idea what would be appropriate in this situation and the mounting fear that silence was the worst possible decision, she blurted, "I can't even answer a question in class without feeling like I'm going to pass out."

Her whole being visibly cringed, a look of regret passing over her visage. Perhaps silence would have been better.

He laughed again, only this time there was no confusion to its nature. No, this laugh was clearly one born of mirth and amusement. The sound of it made Julie relax, if only ever so infinitesimally.

"With teachers like Mr. Fields being the norm around here, I can't blame you. And, just so you know, there's nothing to be sorry about. I wouldn't have mentioned my issues if I wasn't okay with talking about them."

"N-no, of course not," murmured Julie. "You're... really cool and I--I don't even know your name!" She gasped out the last part, flustered once more. "I'm so sorry, I should have asked earlier, can you tell me what...?"

"Zane," the boy replied with a grin. "Zane Emerson, to be a bit more precise. And you?"

"Julie Nguyen," she said with a strange earnestness. "I... did I just call you cool?"

It was Julie's only wish that the earth would swallow her up before she made even more of a fool of herself, but unfortunately for her, she only had an affinity for controlling air. In lieu of that, she had to cover her face with her hands, even as she knew that doing so was probably only serving to dig her hole even deeper.

"Yeah, but it's not like that's anything to be embarrassed about. Like, for example, what if I were to say 'I find how you get so flustered incredibly cute?' I'd just hope the other person appreciated the compliment."

It almost felt to Julie like her heart stopped for just a second. Her mind tried to frantically process that in such an obviously panicked way that small gremlins may as well have been waving big 'DOES NOT COMPUTE' signs above her head. There was a long pause where Julie simply sat frozen with her face in her hands. When she eventually raised her head, her face was beet red, but she looked determined.

"I'm sorry. You're right," she said, "I need to get a grip on myself."

Of course, being called something like 'incredibly cute' by a cool guy with apparently special light magic--which she still needed to ask more about--was so far out of the realms of possibility that she could only interpret it as him having gone back to making fun of her.

"Hmm, your determined face looks pretty good, too. And it's definitely a step in the right direction as far as attitude is concerned. But do me a favor and hold some of the apologies next time. You haven't done anything to me to warrant one, you know? But if you really think you need to make it up to me, then how about going to the pool party? Something tells me that it'll be fun. We could even go together, but only if you wanted to, of course."

Julie couldn't look more surprised if Zane had asked her if she could perform a religious ritual using goat innards. Her expression quickly returned to its usual worried frown. "Oh, because of..." She wasn't exactly sure how to say 'the girl who stood you up' in any delicate manner, so instead let her words drift off into nothingness.

With a glance to the bag that she was still clutching to her like some kind of shield against the world, and another one at Zane's expectant expression, she inclined her head just slightly. "I'd... like that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go because I wouldn't really know anyone and, well, I'm not the most fun person ever." She grimaced a bit. "Probably why I hadn't really made any friends."

She looked back up at him, a shy but sincere grin curling her mouth. "So thanks for talking to me just now, and for inviting me."

Zane reciprocated her smile, taking note of her language. "The pleasure is all mine, really. This whole conversation has been a pleasant surprise from what was shaping up to be a massive disappointment of a day."

The pleasure that she felt from his approval shone through her in a way that must have been blindingly obvious to the other boy, though Julie herself thought she hid it quite well. Hefting her bag a little higher to draw attention to it, she said with a slight blush, "I guess I should probably go change, then."

"Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, unless you wanted to get your clothes wet. I'll wait here until you're ready."

Julie responded with a nod before scampering away, her step feeling somehow lighter than usual.

"My parents bought it for me a few years ago," Julie blurted almost as soon as she was within earshot of Zane again. She was tugging at her new outfit, her normal clothes now stowed away safely in her backpack. The one exception was her jacket, which she'd thrown over herself. The brightly colored swimming shorts and shirt that she was wearing only served to make her look younger and even somewhat boyish. "I brought it just in case, but I didn't think I'd actually end up wearing it."

He gave her a quick look over, making sure not to be impolite in his inspection of Julie's attire. "The look suits you, honestly. So, should we go? Oh, wait, almost forgot, I should probably change, too."

Instead of running off, like she expected him to do, his clothes just kinda changed in their appearance. His jeans melted away into purple trunks, with a large vertical white stripe down the left leg and his button-up morphed into a matching swim shirt.

"Fun thing about light magic, I can make my clothes look like just about anything as long as I focus a little."

Julie's startled look melted into one of awe. "I-I thought light magic would have just been, I don't know, illusions maybe. How do you make fabric out of it?"

He laughed. "No, you're right, it's an illusion. I just mess around with how the light around me is percieved so it looks like I'm wearing different clothes. It doesn't prevent me from feeling cold or anything, but it's a nice party trick. I bet I could even make the sky change colors if I wanted to."

"Oh, so you're not actually wearing swimming trunks, then?" she asked, curious, her own clothes now forgotten after being shown this new marvel. "So you're still wearing what you were before. Or was that an illusion too? You could be wearing anything, or I guess you could even be n--" Julie suddenly blushed a deep pumice and clamped her mouth shut so hard that he could probably hear her teeth clack.

"As funny as I think telling you 'I'm actually not wearing anything' would be, you can relax. The jeans and button-up were the illusion, but these are my actual clothes I was planning on wearing. I may come up with some crazy things, but I'm not that crazy."

"Of course not, I didn't mean--" Julie protested miserably, kicking herself for even accidentally implying that Zane might be some kind of awful person who walked around naked. "...I'm sorry."

An ever so slight hint of frustration creaped its way onto Zane's face, but it disappeared into his composed and entertained look. "No worries," he joked. "It's an understandable misconception, a rather funny one at that. Besides, it's not like you've really been around light magic before, right?"

Julie felt almost like she'd failed a test somehow, and she remembered Zane's request that she stop apologising. She silently berated herself for her misstep. "No, I haven't actually been around magic much at all until the beginning of this weak." She looked up at him. "Have you?"

"Actually, I have, but not so much in the combative sense. My family actually runs a magic-based hydroeletrical company, so we do a lot of business in the magic world. My dad also has his hands in a lot of politics, so I grew up around magic."

Julie's eyes lit up. "So you've been able to perform light magic since you were young? Did you have teachers and such to help?"

"Nope. Light magic is actually fairly new for me. I grew up with water magic, like the rest of my family. On top of that, I was pretty good with ice magic. But a little while back I lost all of my magic and then I noticed I had developed light magic somehow. As for your second question, I guess the answer is 'sorta.' My parents and sisters are all proficient mages, so they helped out with magic, and most of my schooling was done privately through tutors."

"You can randomly lose your magic and develop other magic?" Julie looked shocked, and even a little disturbed, at the thought of someday waking up without being able to cause gusts of wind at will. She might not have been very good at it, but it had been part of her for so long that she couldn't imagine herself without it.

"Yeah, but it's really rare, from what I was told. And the only kinds of magic that I've heard of that have been known to cause those changes are light and dark magic. It's nice having something unique, but as much fun as it is to turn into light to blink away from someone, I do miss some of my old magic."

"Does anyone know why some people gain access to light or dark magic, then?" asked Julie, so enthralled that she barely registered the path that they were taking which lead to the portal. The wealth of new information that she was getting a glimpse into was exciting. As much time as she'd spent hiding in the library, much of her study was focused on the theory that she was required to know in order to pass her classes and some looks into the fundamentals of actually using magic. She hadn't had the time nor energy to look into anything about the actual world of magic that secretly weaved its way through the mundane society in which she was raised.

"Not that I know of. I've heard rumors of those elements having odd properties to them, allowing them to pick the mage as if those two elements were sentient, but that seems a bit crazy to me, even for magic."

"People are chosen by the magic," Julie breathed, the notion seeming quite romantic to her while providing her something like a sense of security since she didn't think she would ever get anything special like that. "Do you think your experience in magic before helped you at all when you had to learn light magic?"

"It's funny that you mention it, but one of my biggest boons in light magic has been my experience with ice magic. Thanks to it I was able to quickly figure out I could craft things out of hardlight. Oh, I guess you might not've heard of hardlight before, but it's basically freezing light to the point it becomes a solid. It's a weird concept, I know, but it's something I would've never thought up without ice magic."

"Freezing light..." Julie looked perplexed to the point of almost being perturbed. "So you can touch 'hardlight'? Does hardlight itself give off light? Does it... give off heat?" A part of her didn't think that she should be trying to apply so much logic to magic since it was, well magic, but a bigger part of her wanted to solve the new puzzle with which it was being presented.

"Here, I think it might be better to show you," he said, his words trailing off as he started to conjure up a small octahedron of blue transluscent light. It gave off no heat, but it was firm to the touch. Weightless, yet it didn't float away. It's mere existence defied the laws of physics, but physics weren't exactly equipped to deal with static photons. "Make a bit more sense now? I make all sorts of things out of this stuff, and hardlight isn't even the craziest thing I can do with light magic."

The perfect captive audience, she asked, "What's the craziest thing you can do with light magic?"

"Believe it or not, but I can actually turn into light for a brief moment to move forward."

"Oh my god," said Julie. "Does that... hurt?" She wasn't quite sure how to describe the disbelief she felt about whether it was even possible for matter to transform into energy and then back again. If she wasn't so busy overthinking all of her actions, she probably would have responded with something silly like 'That's impossible' when they were literally in a magic school heading to a magic portal.

"It feels weird, but it doesn't hurt. I guess you could say it's like taking an ethereal state, but only for a fraction of a moment. Though, I can hurt myself if I overuse the spell, but I practice quite a bit to prevent that from happening. It even seems like I'm starting to actually perceive things around me when I'm moving at light speed, but only barely."

"What happens if you accidentally try to go through a solid object?" frowned Julie.

"I'm just turning into light and flash towards a direction, really. I can't exactly go through walls or anything. Though, maybe if there was a thin crack, I might be able to squeeze through."

"So I guess you couldn't be physically stopped, then," Julie said wonderingly. Then she bit her lip. "I hope I'm not bothering you with all my questions, I just... want to know more. I feel like I have so much that I need to catch up on compared to a lot of the other students here."

"Not at all. Questions are the easiest way to gain new information from more experienced individuals. And asking them proves that you want to improve, which is something everyone should strive for."

Julie's hand tightened on the strap of her backpack. "I don't feel like I have been improving. I keep trying and trying, but I can't seem to do anything more with my magic than I have been." She looked down at her feet, her pace unconsciously slowing. "I don't really know why they accepted me here."

"Don't worry too much about it. Knowledge is useful to better your magic, but ultimately, practice and pushing your physical limits tends to be the key in accelerating one's magical ability. It also helps to absorb ether on missions, based on what my sister told me. Still, as frustrating as it may seem, there is no quick way to improve, only quicker ways."

A shiver worked its way down Julie's spine. "I haven't been assigned on a mission yet. Have you?" She looked back up at him, features tense.

He gave her a look of surprise, most likely wondering why she had been held back from a mission during the week. "Yeah, we were sent out on a Search and Destroy mission. I'd say it was fairly routine, but I think I broke my arm during the fight with one of the Knights of Ash. You wouldn't be able to tell, though, since healing magic works some miracles in repairing people."

The blood rushed from her face so fast that it probably set some kind of new record. With a gulp, she whispered, "You broke your arm?" Her breaths were coming faster now.

"I think I broke it. One of the knights caught my arm with an attack after I thought I killed it. I didn't let it get a second hit in."

"Are the knights the... the monsters? The ones the headmaster talked about?"

"A species of them. Hulking knights made entirely of ash. They're slow, but they hit hard and take just as much as they give."

Her eyes went blank and she stopped walking. Her stomach roiled. "I don't think I can do this."

He turned around to look at her, letting out a light chuckle all the while. "You'd be surprised what you can do when you have a team to help you out. Or when your back is against the wall. If you're scared, just keep practicing and be ready when they call on your name."

For a split second, she wanted to scream at him. To tell him how she wasn't like everyone else here, that she couldn't do anything; how she would probably screw up and get herself killed. Or worse, get someone else killed, and it would be entirely her fault. Instead, she swallowed and gave him a half-hearted smile. "No, you're right," she said, sounding as though she were trying to convince herself. She forced her feet to move forward again, though her breathing was still a little bit funny. "I shouldn't be complaining. Everyone else is going through the exact same thing that I am."

"Exactly! Almost everyone here is facing their fears and risking their lives, but it's not like you hear about people dying left and right. Only time that happens, it seems, is when people get careless. And something tells me that you wouldn't have an issue with carelessness."

Julie nodded and understood one thing: Zane obviously could never understand. He was confident and talented, and she was... Julie. But she did appreciate how much he was putting up with simply by talking to her, and she really just wanted to soak it up as much as she could while it lasted. "I'll do my best," she said, and pretended that she couldn't hear the sound of a coffin lid closing overhead.

"Good. As long as you do that, you'll be fine..." Before he could continue, they arrived at the portal stone. A few other students were there, too, none of which he recognized. "Looks like we're here. You ready to go through?"

"As ready as I am for anything." Which meant not at all. She tugged self-consciously at her clothes again and hoped she wouldn't break out into rashes. A vain hope, probably. She cautiously looked back at the portal. "How... how does this work? Do we just go through?"

He extended his hand to her before explaining, "Just grab on, I'll touch the stone, then 'poof' we're there."

She stared at his hand with trepidation and also a slight blush. Before that day, s he'd barely even spoken to a boy before, let alone held one's hand (at least, after grade school), even for practical purposes. It was almost as if she could feel the disapproving gaze of her parents even here in Wyoming. Quickly, and hopefully sneakily enough, she wiped her hand against her shorts in an attempt to wipe off any excess sweat, before placing her hand in Zane's. His grip was warm and dry.

It felt really... nice.

And before she could react to him touching the stone, they were gone. And then they were on the beach.​

Sephear

Years

Earnest Endeavors

It really is nice already knowing one of the teachers a bit, I'd be ten times as nervous going to any of the other faculty outside of class. Even having met him prior, Jack still felt slightly uncomfortable walking into Clayton Fields' classroom. "Hello, Mister Fields?"

Surrounded by scrap metal, broken wood and generally having just a messy class, the teacher didn't seem all that put-together. Or it was intentional. Jack was hoping it was the latter. Leaning his chair back, and with his feet propped up on top of his desk, Fields dropped into a more professional seating posture and answered the freshman's call. "Well, if it ain't the Marrick boy. You've grown since I last seen ya, kid. So, what can I do ya for this morning?"

Jack brightened up at hearing the familiar voice and stepped closer to the desk, speaking clearly now. "I was wondering what the rules are on students going to the Liminal Isles when they aren't on missions? I'd like to go for...well a lot of reasons. Practice, research, gathering ether what for to smith with and such."

"I'll have to level with ya on this one, Jack. I know you're a trustworthy kid—you could probably be there and back without a hitch—but you'll need an upperclassman to follow and supervise. As much as I want to say you can go whenever you please, Vale'd chew my ass out if she found out I let a freshman go alone so easily."

"Are there any upperclassmen who might be willing to take me?" Jack asked. "I've only met one so far and she... no. Just no. She probably wouldn't do it anyways since I'm not Zane."

"Who?"

"Don't worry about it. So, thoughts?"

"Yeah. Few hundred students in this school, plenty of them are happy to help." Clayton pulled an iPhone out of his jeans and started blindly scrolling through a list while talking to the smith apprentice. Jack kind of wanted to look. Then he held his thumb down on a name to stop the rolling letters, took a glance at the screen, and told him, "Looks like you're in luck. Got a couple who aren't watching over any missions next week, so I'll let one know you wanna go."

The teacher ever so casually leaned back once more in his chair, crossed one large boot over the other atop his desk, and lowered his hat over his face before finishing his conversation with Jack. "I've got some business to take care of with the faculty in a little bit, so get to whatever all you freshmen were called for earlier. She should be helping out; just ask around for Stella."

Jack tapped his chin thoughtfully and tried to recall if he'd heard of Stella before, and when he drew a blank he shrugged. "Thanks, Cla - er, Mister Fields! If my first big experiment is a success, I'll show it to you first!" He remembered Clayton being a rather brusque man, so he didn't bother saying anymore once the hat went down. Besides, now he had to go make sure he hadn't forgotten his swimming trunks.

"I have to admit, I'm surprised," Jack explained to a freshman named Sam, sparing a look around the beach after they finished their introductions. "There are more people here than I expected, I guess the thing about it all being mandatory wasn't a joke..." He loved swimming and beaches, but he ended up feeling much more self-conscious than he'd expected. Trunks alone weren't enough, so Jack found himself one of the only guys at the beach that day that was keeping his shirt on. A red T-shirt with a hammer and tongs printed on the front kept his torso covered, but the Hawaiian flower-print trunks revealed to anyone who cared to see that his legs were much more toned than his arms. "Oh right, do you know of an upperclassmen named Stella?"

"Nah, man, why don't you ask an—oh! Sorry, Jack, I see a hottie getting under an umbrella alone. Good luck finding your girl!" And just like that, Sam was gone.

"Hey, wait—oh, she is pretty hot. Damn it, Sam. You left me all alone in Mordor, dude..." Why is everyone here so attractive? Even the girls that aren't total bombshells are really cute. Some were even both at the same time. Jack's only rationale was that magic is a hell of a drug. After a moment of pondering he shrugged, and began his search anew.

Walking along the beach, he asked left and right—well, twice on the left, and thrice on the right. The first few were freshmen, like him, and had no clue, like him. The next and last gave him a very strange message. "Look for the cat," they said. They didn't say where, since they apparently didn't know either, but it was a start. Was it some kind of quest? Find the cat, find the girl? He wracked his brain, and finally, Jack dropped to the sand in frustration, stretching his legs out and leaning back as it became painfully obvious that he wouldn't be able to get into the swing of the "pool party" until he had some confirmation that visiting the Isles on his own time was doable.

Then, out the corner of his eye, a little grey cloud of fur appeared in his field of view. Jack tossed his head to the side, swiping up some sand behind him in the process, and discovered that there was a cat on the Isles. It was perched up in the student body vice president's lifeguard tower, partly sunbathing and partly watching over the ocean where all the students were enjoying themselves. That's what he was thinking, at least, as well as, What's a cat even doing here?

Luxurious, fluffy white fur accented by stripes in brown and silver, adorable little tufts on the tips of its ears like a bobcat, and a bushy tail wrapped around its feet as it sat up. Continuing to pander to his love of small and adorable creatures, he pinpointed a red ribbon around the cat's neck like a collar, a light jingling following a turn of its head—Crap, it's looking at me, don't panic. Play it cool, Jack. You got this. Wait, what am I thinking? It's a cat. The fuzzy feline stood up, stretched its back on top of the tower, and hopped down to meet Jack up close just in time for Allan, the VP himself, to return to his post.

He didn't sit back up yet, but when the cat approached him he opened his mouth. "Hey, little kitty. So what's a beautiful thing like you doing on a magic island like this?" It didn't answer verbally, of course. Rather, it pawed at his face. Okay. Now he was sitting up. Wonder who brought their... cat.... The mysterious junior's cryptic instructions seemed oddly clear to him now. "Huh. Cat."

Jack looked around, hoping to find a girl associated with the little cat, but no dice. All of the hotties were relaxing under their umbrellas, the cuties were playing about in the water, and the hot cuties were relaxing on the water under an umbrella, the usefulness of which Jack internally questioned. No hotties, cuties or hot cuties to speak of as the cat's owner. His distraction certainly didn't stop the cat from sitting quite calmly on Jack's lap, as if waiting for him to keep talking.

"How do you feel about coming along with me for a minute? Maybe the VP has the answer I'm after," he concluded, knowing an influential student was nearby. He offered his arms to the cat, then without missing a beat she hopped right in, and he couldn't help but finally notice the silver bell tied to its ribbon. "Well, that was quick. Not that I'm complaining."

Cradling the cat, Jack trotted up to the lifeguard's tower and called for the surfer-type student's attention. "Excuse me, but do you know where I can find someone named Stella?"

The VP looked over the arm of his chair toward Jack down below and breathed a brief chuckle before briefly briefing him, "You're holdin' her, dude. Think you've been in the sun too long."

At Allan's words, Jack's gaze slowly sank back down to the cat in his arms—whose ears he'd begun to absentmindedly scratch—and stayed locked for a moment, only for her to look up at him when he stopped petting her. He turned back to Allan, asking, "This is Stella? A cat can supervise students on the Isles? I know Mister Clayton is a bit eccentric, but come on, he wasn't really talking about the cat, right? Am... Am I being punked?"

"It's legit, buddy."

Jack's head swung back and forth in search of an answer, or maybe a hidden camera or two, but nobody else on the beach was paying them any mind, so he naturally gave the Vice President a raised eyebrow. He didn't want to doubt multiple people assuring him that a cat was capable of supervising him like any student, but he was remaining skeptical, and Allan could see it clear as day on his face.

"I'll give you a hint: she's not here because we brought her. Trust Fields and his crazy ideas. He knows what he's doing." Allan returned to his duties as lifeguard and party king. The cat, which was now formally recognized as Stella, mewed at Jack, proceeding to rub her head against his chest; then she hopped out of his grasp and ran off along the beach.

"So...a cat is going to be my island guide? I guess I'll get a saucer of milk ready when I want to go." Jack's confusion gave way to crack a smile, and a little snicker slipped out when he walked about the sand himself. "This school really is a trip and a half!"

Thankfully for Jack, though, the sight of a copper-haired figured coming out of the island's more forested lands gave him something familiar to look at. And hot, because that hasn't been said enough—okay, maybe he has been in the sun too long. "Hey, Shion!" he called with a wave of his hand, jogging to meet up with her.

"What's up, Jack? Having fun yet?" she asked him, as if Jack's enthusiasm was completely normal even to her. He only answered that he was hoping to start soon enough. He'd just managed to clear up some important business, after all. Shion, unlike the others, remained fully clothed for some reason—yes, he couldn't help but look when all the others were in some degree of visible swimwear—but what stood out the most to him was a number of fading bruises on her arms. He appeared worried for a moment, but promptly remembered he asked her not long ago to help him get better at hand-to-hand combat, and his concerns were muted.

"What happened to you?"

"Just had to teach someone the meaning of 'hard counter'. Listen, I saw a few guys making a diving board when I got here earlier. I know this place isn't a pool, but let's see what happened to that when I get back, yeah?" She ran off toward the school portal, presumably to get changed, but Jack was only left alone for a few minutes before the two got into a diving contest with the other students.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
The twins were already enjoying themselves. Or, at least, they were trying to. Lily had been playing ball games in the waves with a few other students while Lauren sat under an umbrella, scribbling in a small leather-bound journal. The former snuck a peek at it once; didn't understand a word, and it's not because Lauren wrote in cursive. At the same time, Lauren was trying not to draw attention to himself. It wasn't the first time today someone hit on the twins, and there were a lot of beauties enjoying the sun and sea that were probably more receptive to the idea—or maybe more likely to respond violently. Soon enough, Lily came back and sat down on her towel.

"This is a lot of fun. Kind of feels like we're normal," Lily told him with a smile. Well, until the sea practically exploded from a student's high dive. The duo tittered, and she added, "Kind of. So what're you writing about anyways?"

"With so many students spread out over an area like this, I thought it would be good to see how my Oracle is growing. I'm pretty confident that I can see what element they have now at a glance, and a vague gauge of their strength. I'll have to compare it to what I see on our missions later." Lily took at look at her brother's eyes, the right glowing gold. She wasn't about to ask how long he'd been using it, judging by the faded flame-like trails of light flowing out into the air, but he definitely needed a break.

"Speaking of magic eyes, did you catch Iris coming in at all?"

"I haven't seen her since we got here." Lauren took another cursory glance around the beach from the portal stone to where the sands end, and found nothing—his Eye was keener than a bloodhound's nose; if she was there, he'd have found her. "Bet she's back at school in her room or something. Probably still tired from the energy she burned from our mission."

"Well, that's not right. She needs to be enjoying this, too. It'll definitely make her feel refreshed." With a brave claim, she grabbed Lauren's hand, pulled him to his feet, and ordered, "Come on, let's go get her."

Promptly speeding up to keep pace with her power walk, and to not have his arm dislocated, Lauren reluctantly followed along as he yelled for her attention, "Lily, stop pulling! And you should at least dry off first!" On the school's side of the portal stone, much of the water dissipated from Lily's body, and she fearlessly led her brother back to the castle dorms to rescue kidnap the princess Iris.

Iris laid in her bed, not nearly as enthused about the weekend as many other students, with little to do outside the ordinary for her. What a waste of time, her brain told her about the "pool party". Maybe it was more interesting than she expected. Her first mission wore her out, as well, draining her drive to get up and hit the books. Not that she wasn't proud of her first time, but still, instead of taking advantage of the day she was on her phone, checking out a link that was posted in the school's main hall—student intranet and message board run by a couple seniors. After a little bit of browsing and setting up an account, Iris grabbed a pair of headphones and started playing a couple mobile games.

Knock knock. She didn't hear it—or just wasn't given the time to answer—so her new best friend Lily unceremoniously barged in, bringing Lauren with her.

"W-What the hell?!"

"Iris, come to the beach with us!" Iris was quick in wanting to reject her, but upon closer inspection they were already dressed up. Or down, as it were. The twins were both wearing modest bikinis, and Lauren wore a lightly-colored wrap over her... his, lower body. It still confused Iris as to whether or not Lauren was really a boy, especially wearing a flowery halter top that Lily may or may not have put him in, but she sure as hell wasn't about to do what was necessary to find out. Upon even closer inspection, Lily's hair was dripping water on the dorm floor.

"You... Did you come back to get me?"

"Duh," she was told flatly. "Come on, you can't stay in your room, it's the weekend. Even if you're just sitting on the sand like Lauren does, it'll still do you some good to go outside."

Iris huffed, "I do very much intend to stay in here. I am not going to bother with something so frivilous."

Lauren interjected, on Lily's side of course, and added that he'd noticed a better flow of magic in the students that were on the island. Given the prospect of some form of improvement just for attending, knowing better now than to doubt his claims (and assisted by his other half's enthusiastic persistence), Iris soon caved in. "Okay, okay, fine, just give me some time to change."

She shooed the pair out of her room, removing her headphones and leaving her things on her bed to get properly dressed for the occasion. She slipped into a one-piece swimsuit, tied her hair back into a ponytail, and gathered her supplies before joining the twins in the hall. "Let's go." And so, she was led to the portal stone, the path surprisingly empty and less embarrassing than Iris anticipated.

That embarrassment came back in full arriving on the beach. Why is everyone so damn attractive?! she screamed in her head. In the light of the beach sun, even Lily and Lauren were as sexy as they were cute. That was a weird train of thought. Was it because of all the magic? Iris could only hope that she didn't appear as decidedly average as she felt. She laid her things down near the twins', and had Lily help apply her sunscreen before being dragged off to play volleyball.

Iris wasn't very athletic, but they couldn't fault her for trying. They couldn't. Iris wanted to curse herself out five times in as many minutes. She couldn't keep her footing, and felt like giving up until a boy with messy brown hair, glowing green eyes and an ocean-soaked sheen came over from the other side of the net, offering her a hand the last time she flopped.

"You're an earth mage, aren't'cha?" he asked her.

"W-what of it?"

He gave Iris a cheeky grin and chuckled. "I knew it; it's like a horoscope. Your element says a lot about you."

"Really? What's it telling you?" She sounded fed up with the game, and Iris certainly wasn't quite in the mood for astrological mumbo jumbo, but they weren't ridiculing her. The least she could do was indulge them before going back to her room.

"Your footwork's off. You're a stable person, and you're keepin' up with the ball, but the rest'f your body's swingin' around too fast for your feet t' stay balanced."

"Got any bright ideas to fix it?"

"Of course. Follow my lead, alright?" The boy turned away from her and walked off the vaguely-marked volleyball court for some extra room, evidently expecting Iris to join him. "Name's Dylan, b' the way."

She tried looking to Lily for support, but all she got was Lily waving her downturned hands and mouthing "go". Hesitantly she approached to follow along with his movements, but did everything she could to not stare any higher than his shins when she wasn't copying him. Dylan proceeded to show her a few simple movements in the sand while the rest of the group played another round, and Iris quickly picked it up so they could jump back in. He had to correct her stance a couple times, which only served to embarrass her rather than help, but it didn't take as long as she expected.

Playing again, it felt like day and night when she kept her mind on her foot placement more than paying attention to the ball, and in no time she'd argue she started enjoying herself. Iris was far from believing that "horoscope" bologna, but she also didn't plan to lie and say it wasn't fun. A short time later, though, her fun ended with the end of the match, and Iris finally relaxed on her towel next to Lauren, his umbrella giving them both sufficient shade.

"Feel better now?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"That's good. It doesn't do you justice to lie in bed when our first mission went so well thanks to you."

She definitely noticed that her magic was a little different from earlier in the morning, and she kind of wanted to thank the twins for convincing her to come along. Not enough to say it out loud, obviously. Even if she did, the beach party organizer's voice roared over the land and sea alike via a megaphone in his hand, a proud announcing voice in tow to disrupt all thought and conversation.

"Citizens of the Goliath Coast! By decree of the King of the Sea, let my people surf!" Channeling his inner Poseidon, Allan commanded the ocean to do his bidding, and so it did, conjuring waves large and small, big and tall; none left out, even the short and stout. As if on cue, a few students either grabbed a surfboard or made one, and paddled their way out to the gnarly waters as others watched and cheered. Iris was among the spectators; living hundreds of miles inland didn't do much for her surfing skills, and for the time being she had no desire to learn. Still, she no longer felt out of place. She laid back on her towel, and closed her eyes, expecting her next rest to be much more comfortable than the last.

Last edited:

Colony

Years

Vale Institute of Magic

Off in the distance, Allan was catching a wave, but something seemed amiss with Vale's designated surfer. His form was wobbly and exaggerated, nothing like his normal zen-like state while surfing. Almost as if to capitalize on his unusual behavior, he fell off his board, plunging into the ocean.

Minutes went by without him surfacing until he came flying out of the water. He was not alone, however, now riding a massive sea monster. The creature could only be described as some sort of amphibian monstrosity, standing thirty feet out of the water and at least that far wide, covered in leathery flesh and some sort of aqueous film around it. Several tentacles of water sprouted from the ocean as well. The rider seemed unfazed by his new mount, in fact, he seemed pleased… and a bit red in the face.

"Hahaha, bow before me, for I am the King of the Sea! Obey my will or face the wrath of my kraken!"

More than one student took the threat poorly, choosing to attack the beast. Although they were able to cleanly hit Allan's creature, the damage done was ineffective, as the wounds inflicted faded quickly.

"You dare attack me?! This means war. Crush them, leviathan!"

Back