• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas & Feedback for BTB & Battle Server

srinator

I do kinda like all this. We get enough Team Help threads that they could become their own subsection. I think though that the RMT section should be the only one that needs to have threads be approved. I never really liked thread approval in this section back when we had it and don't think that all the kinds of threads need to undergo thread approval.

But yeah, regulating RMT threads might be nice. I suppose that's there's the issue of people posting threads that don't meet the criteria and them not understanding why their thread wasn't approved. There's also the issue of the fact that a good chunk of the Team Help threads are made by randoms that hardly post in the thread after making it and are never seen again after getting help, but I don't think that any of that is enough to make us not try it out.

And I like that the possible restructure gives extra space for stickies. I've always wanted the OU threatlist, team workshop, and some of our other resources to be stickied.

Yeah thread approval for the rmt's is what I meant, and actually point you bring up about randoms is a positive. Say they post a thread and the mod finds out it isn't up to the rules, let's him know, if he is truly interested in feedback he is going to change the thread follow the rules, everyone is happy.
And if not we don't have a pointless thread.

Also I am against rmt's made by users stubborn enough to not heed the suggestions rates give, because otherwise what's the point of an rmt. I don't mean blindly following whatever is suggested but to consider everything said and put in your counter argument as to why a change would be more negative than positive rather than saying I love weedle it's my favourite pokemon

Anti

return of the king
Years
I was going to takeover it but I went into an unexpected leave of absence. Taking a look into it now, I see that the last round wasn't concluded properly. I'll take care of that right away! However, I don't promise on having another round until after the get-together because I've way too many responsibilities to uphold right now.

That said, if anyone wants to host it for a couple of rounds feel free to contact me. :)

i was gonna repost it and make some of the changes, though i was gonna talk to syn about it. i think as it stands now the voting system is too flawed and doesn't achieve its purpose. i will outline some proposed changes when i have more time, but i wanted to go over them with syn first. i was going to take it back over since you and wolf don't have time.

The first thing that was brought up was enforcing a rule for rmt's that would insist user to submit teams that were complete rather than asking us to build it, since that isn't rmt and there is already a thread (team building workshop) for it.

100% agree, 5 pokes should be the absolute minimum.

for lower, i think the team building workshop should be a sticky in the forum.

To avoid such hassle we also thought about the possibility of bringing back thread approvals, which would be really nice right now since we a lot more activity than there was a year back.

curious what the moderation staff thinks but i'm ok with this, with the caveat zekrom mentioned that it'd only be for your proposed rmt forum. only necessary if we bring back a 5 or 6 pokemon minimum restriction back though. right now the bar is too low for threads for this to be necessary.

I also suggested that btb be restructured a bit. The main forum would only be home to discussions and rmt's would be in a different sub section all together like the in game section. The section would also contain tags like cart, oras ou, battle spot, vgc etc. and have threads like the team building workshop and replay critique stickied in the main forum and things like the threat list and introduction to competitive battle stickied in the rmt section.
This would not only make it look more organised but also elegant.

does the main forum have enough juice without rmts to sustain itself?

besides that, this makes sense, but i'm not going to lie (and this isn't aimed as you as much as in general)... i kind of hate how many times this forum has rebranded and reorganized itself. whatever we choose, it'd be great if we could just stick to it unless something really changes. there are so many other things we can focus on that have a more direct impact on how enjoyable everyone's experience here is, so my only really strong thought is that this is a quick decision and implementation.

Also I am against rmt's made by users stubborn enough to not heed the suggestions rates give, because otherwise what's the point of an rmt. I don't mean blindly following whatever is suggested but to consider everything said and put in your counter argument as to why a change would be more negative than positive rather than saying I love weedle it's my favourite pokemon

these just need to be locked/potentiall infracted. it's not a big problem really.

i have an event idea related to pcl, i'll post it when i have more time.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I would just like to say that we're most likely going to implement a stricter policy on team help threads. Additionally, moving them to their own subforum is another possible thing that could happen.

Anti said:
does the main forum have enough juice without rmts to sustain itself?
I personally think that the RMTs are cluttering the main forum, which basically draws away attention from the other aspects of BTB (events, discussions, etc.) I think if they were moved to their own subforum, not only would there be a more organic format in threads but it could also draw more attention to the other aspects of BTB. It could also help lessen the myriad of stickies on the main forum.

We can't really say for sure until we've actually done it, but I think these are enough reasons to try.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I would just like to say that we're most likely going to implement a stricter policy on team help threads. Additionally, moving them to their own subforum is another possible thing that could happen.

I personally think that the RMTs are cluttering the main forum, which basically draws away attention from the other aspects of BTB (events, discussions, etc.) I think if they were moved to their own subforum, not only would there be a more organic format in threads but it could also draw more attention to the other aspects of BTB. It could also help lessen the myriad of stickies on the main forum.

We can't really say for sure until we've actually done it, but I think these are enough reasons to try.

i'd be fine with rmts staying in or leaving the main forum, but i'm wondering what the plan currently is now? also, i ventured into in-game team help recently, and that subforum is dead. would a rmt subforum maybe absorb that (probably with competitive/in-game tags to differentiate)?

also,

i get that it's summer but server activity has been very spotty recently, and regardless of that i find the environment to often be very stale and boring. nothing is ever happening. :( if you and wolf aren't available to do things, could we potentially mobilize the bss or the community at large to make things a little more exciting? there are plenty of ideas floating around (many from this thread) and none of them being executed.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
i'd be fine with rmts staying in or leaving the main forum, but i'm wondering what the plan currently is now? also, i ventured into in-game team help recently, and that subforum is dead. would a rmt subforum maybe absorb that (probably with competitive/in-game tags to differentiate)?
this is something i can get behind, probably. although i know wolf isn't a fan of removing competitive team help threads from the main forum for a couple of reasons.

Anti said:
i get that it's summer but server activity has been very spotty recently, and regardless of that i find the environment to often be very stale and boring. nothing is ever happening. :( if you and wolf aren't available to do things, could we potentially mobilize the bss or the community at large to make things a little more exciting? there are plenty of ideas floating around (many from this thread) and none of them being executed.
The beauty of having the BSS is that it's an independent team, and they shouldn't need any form of permission from either wolf or I to mobilize efforts for the benefit of the server. I must admit that I've been preoccupied with other things, so I've put the battle server in the backburner. However, any of the BSS should feel free to post their ideas in the BSS forum!

I guess the outdated BSS guideline is partly to blame for this, so I'll try to work on that next.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I wanted to bump this thread to talk for a moment about PC Daily. I posted some time ago about the potential benefits of encouraging content creation and making the battling forum a more creative and energetic place, and PC Daily has a lot of potential to fill such an objective. I think this forum gets bland, and having some interesting content would make things more enjoyable and would encourage more battling. Finally, can be an excellent tool for coverage of PC League.

Specifically, "content" might look like:

- Coverage of the PCL Championship clan wars
- Other tournaments/event coverage/analysis
- Pokemon features (like what was done with Froslass)
- Warstories
- Showcase RMTs
- Miscellaneous: I know this is vague--I am not very creative with these things--but what I am thinking here is that more creative people can do more imaginative things. Demystifying the ladder or finding humor in it, for example, might be cool. While I wouldn't want fluff pieces, I think the act of writing about something generally sharpens your ability to play. It seems worthwhile to me and worth encouraging. And if anyone has better ideas, by all means...

Reactions: Nah

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I wanted to bump this thread to talk about the state of BTB in general in contrast to a year ago. Specifically, I'd like to address that nothing substantial has changed. This doesn't mean that it's a bad thing, obviously, but the forum seems to have lost its focus. I've noticed that PCL was hugely a part of what attracted people to battle competitively, so I assume there's plans for it to comeback anytime this year. But beyond that, are there anything else in store to help promote a competitively active userbase?

I'm really a saddened by the fact that PC's battle server isn't as active as it used to be, but I don't think anything can be done to address that problem. Activity wasn't always a strong suit of the server anyway, unless we were invaded by some random battle clans (does anyone remember Alliance? lol). I guess my main qualm about the battle server currently is the lack of staff on certain times, but that's probably because it's the holidays.

Also re: PC daily and the battle people involved with it; I do wish said persons were able to bring up discussions about the articles they aim to write here before they actually do it behind the scenes. In fact, I think a lot of battle-related articles could use some opinions from one or two BTB regulars if needed.

Back