• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: FF&W Feedback

Bay

Years
FF&W Feedback

Hello, everyone! With 2016 fast approaching, I would like to make some changes to this section and thought this would be a good to get your guys' opinions on some things!

1) Flash Fiction Challenges
So as you can tell, ever since November I had put the Flash Fiction Challenges on hiatus. The first twenty prompts or so there had been several stories for each prompt, but the later prompts no one attempted in writing them. Do any of you think I should bring back the Flash Fiction Challenges, and if so how? Before I would have a word or phrase as the prompt, should I continue that? Or would different kind of prompts, like a picture or youtube video, work better? Maybe a mixture of both?

2) Feedback on the writings
Another topic I want to bring up are reviews. While several members have been giving feedback on the writings in this section and I truly appreciate that, I want to enourage more people to comment. There have been a few instances where some people are concerned that their reviews needed to be indepth when that isn't always the case. What are some ways you think would encourage more people to review and not feel intimidated by it?

3) Commenting on completed writings
By finished writings, I mean the ones in the Archive section. Perhaps you're the kind of person that prefers to read a finished story and would like to let the writer know you enjoyed the whole story from start to finish. I'm considering allowing people to comment in the archive section, so anyone interested in that? As for how I'll go about it, I'll look into that soon.

4) Other activities
One last topic I want to mention are activities. The past summer we had a Writiing Blitz and then NaNoWriMo last month, both events having a good turnout. I plan to bring them back next year, but I'm also up for other activities you guys are intersted in!

And I think that's all the topics I want to bring into attention at the moment. Feedback on any of those would be appreciated! If there's something not mentioned here you want to discuss also, then don't hesistate to comment about it!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
1) I never did Flash fiction here, but that's mainly because I didn't solo write much at all. Tried several times though! There's probably nothing wrong with one word prompts, but perhaps there needs to be some incentive for writing it up? Maybe all the Flash Fics done will get showcased in a FF&W Bulletin Board thread the next week, to fish in some extra views?

2) Perhaps it isn't the reviewing/commenting that is the problem. It is actually reading some fics that can be daunting. They might be long, multichaptered already, or perhaps you simply can't find one you enjoy enough to read. At least that's actually how I can feel :c How to make people more willing to read?

3) See 2)

4) I can mainly think of synergy with Roleplay Theatre, which we discussed a bit elsewhere :)

Keep up the good work, Bay <3

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Do take my suggestions with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much a lurker by this point.

1) The main reason I didn't usually work with Flash Fiction was the "Flash" part. The prompts were usually quite good, they just didn't plant any idea in my mind that I could instantly use. I do think that stretching the possibilities and mediums for prompts might be a good idea, with things such as using song or image prompts or even parts of random conversations that pop up in the DCC or other places.

2) I completely agree with Pikachu's statement here. My backlog on things is enormous, be it videogames, TV shows and then add to that fanfiction? I feel like one would have to sift through listings and then find one good enough that one can dedicate the time to read plus review.

I've been thinking that a potential way to help people review might be leading them through the process and removing intermediaries, for example via prebaked "commentary templates" / forms so that people get right to the why is it said what they say? Dunno exactly what can be covered under them but I'm thinking middle-difficulty use cases such as "this ongoing plot element needs work" for mini-reviews, or "came for the X, stayed for the Y" kind of positive commentary could be good to use as examples.

3) Opening the archive section? Yes please. One of the biggest problems for authors like me that write many stories is that if we publish in forum communities like this one, our stories are eventually drowned not by lack of merit or by there being better stories but merely by being [amount of days] old, and people are actually forbidden and punished for wanting to or trying to comment on them. I mean... wut? It's one of the reasons why I stopped publishing in forums and have been throwing more stuff to ff.net.

However for this to work, I think a way to promote older, completed stories would also be a good thing to have.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
4) Isn't there a Summer Camp NaNoWriMo around June/July time (or at least, there has been in the past)? That seems like it would be a good time of year (with schools/universities finishing around then) and might well repeat the success of Nov's.

Bay

Years
1) I never did Flash fiction here, but that's mainly because I didn't solo write much at all. Tried several times though! There's probably nothing wrong with one word prompts, but perhaps there needs to be some incentive for writing it up? Maybe all the Flash Fics done will get showcased in a FF&W Bulletin Board thread the next week, to fish in some extra views?

2) Perhaps it isn't the reviewing/commenting that is the problem. It is actually reading some fics that can be daunting. They might be long, multichaptered already, or perhaps you simply can't find one you enjoy enough to read. At least that's actually how I can feel :c How to make people more willing to read?

Incentives might be something to consider, so the FF&W Bullentin Board mention could work.

Yeah taking the time to read the fics can be a problem. I have a hard time keeping that up myself as I read other fics that are not based off of Pokemon and sometimes I would like to do another activity instead. I do try my best to give feedback as much as possible as I often get sad when some of my stories don't get much attention and I want to give back, but yeah it's not easy for me sometimes.

Do take my suggestions with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much a lurker by this point.

1) The main reason I didn't usually work with Flash Fiction was the "Flash" part. The prompts were usually quite good, they just didn't plant any idea in my mind that I could instantly use. I do think that stretching the possibilities and mediums for prompts might be a good idea, with things such as using song or image prompts or even parts of random conversations that pop up in the DCC or other places.

2) I completely agree with Pikachu's statement here. My backlog on things is enormous, be it videogames, TV shows and then add to that fanfiction? I feel like one would have to sift through listings and then find one good enough that one can dedicate the time to read plus review.

If enough people are interested in me bringing the Flash Fiction challenges back, I might consider mixing up how the prompts will be presented.

As I mentioned to Pikachu, indeed I like reviewing but there are a lot of other things I would like to do too, lol.

Concerning your removing intermediaries suggestion, to be hontest not exactly sure how that can work in a forum setting. I do want to enourage that short reviews are fine as long as you mention a couple things you like or feel needs work (your "this plot needs work" and "came for the X, stayed for the Y" examples are fine).

And yeah, if I go through with the opening the Archive section, I'll see about promoting it.

4) Isn't there a Summer Camp NaNoWriMo around June/July time (or at least, there has been in the past)? That seems like it would be a good time of year (with schools/universities finishing around then) and might well repeat the success of Nov's.

Yeah Summer Camp NaNoWriMo comes in April and July. I think for this year's Summer Blitz I'll have it in July since some might do Summer Camp NaNoWriMo. I know some people also want mini writing blitz that takes place very few weeks or so.

I'll give feedback too, because why not. I liked the Flash-fiction, since it put my short-writing skills and creativity to the test. Heck, an entire series sprang from one of those entries (Focus).

As for getting people to review... the general advice is "You scratch my back, I scratch yours." I always reciprocate reviews, and I'm sure others are willing to do the same. That being said, someone has to be the first to send out a review, so my advice is if you're hungry for reviews, send some out.

There's also the monthly reviewing challenge, which I participated in a few times. I felt that was another great way to encourage reviews, particularly reviews with depth. So, perhaps bringing that to the writing section's attention again could get some reviews going.

That's one way to bring in more reviews indeed. There have been instances where some people asked how they can get more reviews and the advice tends to be to go review other stories, haha.

When the review challenge was first introduced a few years ago, many people participated. Back then you would need to review from fifteen to thirty fics, but that prove to be too overwhelming for some so that then changed to five per month. I might be able to see about bringing attention to the review challenges.

For activities, I generally don't participate in long-term projects with a deadline because I can never trust myself to keep one. As much as I would love to partake of such an event, other commitments can keep me busy for weeks at a time.

Understandable. Most of the activities so far I do try to not have it last too long as many people will have real life obligations and such.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
3) Opening the archive section? Yes please. One of the biggest problems for authors like me that write many stories is that if we publish in forum communities like this one, our stories are eventually drowned not by lack of merit or by there being better stories but merely by being [amount of days] old, and people are actually forbidden and punished for wanting to or trying to comment on them. I mean... wut? It's one of the reasons why I stopped publishing in forums and have been throwing more stuff to ff.net.

However for this to work, I think a way to promote older, completed stories would also be a good thing to have.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360760
A start? :3

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
The poetry scene here seems to have drastically dwindled. I'm hoping it'll come back. Oh well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tysoon

Banned
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Cool area ever in pokecommunity maybe, it was because i love making story.

Vragon

1) Flash Fiction Challenges

2) Feedback on the writings

3) Commenting on completed writings

4) Other activities

1) I can't really have fair input on this matter, but I can say that maybe changing the way of announcing it might help. Its a good idea to advertise Flash Fiction Challenges and possibly help others get motivated.

2) Perhaps, adding onto it with thoughts on the story. Positive and building criticism is good for works, yes. However, adding to the thought narrative for positive feedback and ways the writer could build upon good points in the story should also be noted. Criticism is good as such, I've been a strong believer in the sandwich method of criticism (positive feedback > building feedback or things for improving > enjoyed moments), but perhaps having a little guide on ways to give feedback might help a more intimidated individual, who has something they can offer.

3) Is it with the intent for regular comments, or possibly a book review? Just wondering.

4) I have no clue what those are. They do sound interesting, though.

Bay

Years
To Vragon:

1. While back, I did advertise the flash challenges through the splashes, the announcements on top. However, as more challenges went less and less people were participating where it came to the point there would be no entries for several weeks. I think I did try to have a prompt every two weeks instead of one, but that didn't work either. For now, it's been put to hiatus unless I see more people interested.
  2. I've been talking to some folks about how to leave feedback, and what I got is actually to have feedbacks be more loose and not folks be worried about trying to get every detail in. What I've been trying to encourage is even just two sentences that mentions what you like about the fic is okay. Talking about what works or doesn't work is great, but some folks probably aren't good with explaining in great detail on what needs improving (I'm not, lol). We also had a couple review guides written by others, but there's a lot of info and probably intimidated people even more.
  3. Either or is fine. As long as you comment on a few things you like about a completed fic, you're good to go, doesn't need to be a book review. That's something I might need to get back getting into motion.
  4. One of the activities is the writing blitz, where there's a set period and then you give yourself a good. For instance, I'll have one where the blitz will be a week long and your goal is to finish a chapter or a specific wordcount. Sometimes there are other activities too.

Since I'm still here, I want to make an announcement. I plan to have the rules change a bit slightly, mainly adding some ground rules for the multiverse stuff. The review section of the rules might able be revamped a little. So yeah, watch out for that.

Vragon

Yeah sorry about that. I wasn't sure if this thread was done or not.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 30, 2022
If I regularly update on another website, can I include a chapter of my story here and then a link to that website for the sake of convenience? I like using AO3 for my fan fictions, but I post them in other places as well, to get feedback. I'm not selling anything or anything.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
You'll actually need to post the chapter here to get feedback. Linking to your fanfic on another site is against the rules. So even though your fanfic is posted on AO3, you'll have to take the time to copy/paste it over here.

Bay

Years
Yeah, what Astinus said. You have to post your chapter fully here if you want to get feedback in this site instead of making a post and linking it.

Back