• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

prebuilds still come with HDD

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Prebuilds (laptops and desktops), plenty of them still come with HDD, now i can see maybe a ssd for boot and they slapped a high HDD for big storage numbers as specs but i still see some still only have HDD. Recently its been getting better where its been transfering to the dual (both ssd and hdd) but i still see a few here and there with HDD and it drives me crazy. Theres laptops with emmc storage so it makes me wonder why not phase out hdd with at least that, ik its cheap not faster than a hdd, but at least you wont have the risk of breaking it from rattling it around too much. But what do i know, tech companies are the geniuses. How do you guys feel about still seeing HDD in prebuilds? (wether that be dual ssd and hdd or just hdd)

Years
they continue the practice since they figure they can profit off of these lower-cost prebuilds from consumers who don't know any better about hardware

it would stop if the models weren't selling

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Prebuilt that comes with only HDD is usually cheap piece of crap. SSD for boot and HDD for storage is still OK combo for prebuilt.

Years
It'll take a long time before HDD gets phased out. That much storage for that cheap is still very attractive to the market, and as Zach said, there's people still buying HDD only systems so those stick around too.

I personally love the SSD + HDD combo. Best of both worlds. Fast boot up, and plenty of storage for my movies and games.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
They're the best cost-wise so they'll never go away. Unless it's a miniature system or it's designed for just the OS as information is stored in the cloud (Such as a Chromebook). Thankfully they're getting cheaper so I think there will come a point that most devices will come with SSD storage, but until people realize the difference HDDs won't go away in consumer products. I can imagine they'll still be used in industrial uses, such as data storage on a server or something.

Back