• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Yet another misheard lyrics thread

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
So here is where you post cases where it turns out what you heard in a song was wrong. Or maybe several songs. And you heard it completely differently. As for this round for me:
Spoiler:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
A particularly embarassing one given how iconic this line seems to be in English-speaking countries. In Toto's "Africa," I used to hear "I guess it's the way it's down in Africa" or "I miss the way it's down in Africa" instead of "I bless the rains down in Africa."

The song sounded sad to me, so I'm not surprised I misheard it that way.

Years
Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival has some lyrics that say "There's a Bad Moon on the rise but people seem to mishear them as
"There's a Bathroom on the right."
I hear the former rather than the latter whenever I listen to the song

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Spoiler:

Show me someone who doesn't hear "cyanide" instead of "I & I" and I'll show you a liar

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
They said, "All teenagers scare the livin' shit out of me"
They could care less as long as someone'll bleed
So darken your clothes, or strike a vile lamppost
Maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me

Of course, it's supposed to be "violent pose" but I swear I hear "vile lamppost".

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Fall Out Boy's 'The Take Over The Break's Over', I used to never realise the line was 'Wouldn't you rather be a widow than a divorcee?'

Spent a long time being lost why they were saying 'Wouldn't you rather be a weirdo than a divorcee'....

I just remembered this now after revisiting the song :p

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
Years
I recently heard Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" and for some reason I always hear this part:

"Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
"

As:

Got a long list of slavics

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Misheard lyric: "Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tangerine."

Correct lyric: "Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine." - "Dancing Queen" – ABBA

Not sure why I thought it also was that for so many years as a kid/teen. lol

Panda280

Panda280
Years
Misheard lyric: "He looks as pretty like a devil, it's noon!"

Correct lyric: "He looks up grinning like a devil, it's noon!"

Cruel Summer

I mean devil usually looks quite attractive.

Years
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

i only ever heard this song on the radio before, so i always heard "ooh heaven is a place on earth" as "groove heaven is a place for us" lol

since that's not what it really is though, i'm calling dibs on Groove Heaven. i gotta name something that.

Back