• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Pokemon Perfect Crystal 2020: Mono-Poison
Sage Bella, Update 9 (Route 15 -> Mount Silver):

A massive update today, as I finished the last five Kanto gyms last night and this morning, and beat Red!

The only moveset change I made was to swap out Venomoth's Stun Spore for Sleep Powder. I also got a second Leftovers from Snorlax and equipped it to my Nidoqueen.

Misty: My Victreebel SunnyBeamed everything up to Lapras, and my Gengar finished off the rest with Thunderbolt.

Brock: Tentacruel soloed him with Surf.

Blaine: Tentacruel took down Magcargo and Magmar with Surf, and Nidoqueen Earthquaked Rapidash.

Sabrina: Crobat and Gengar finally got fast enough to outspeed her Psychic 1HKOs, and Gengar hypnotized and Shadow Balled both Espeon and Mr. Mime. Crobat confused and fainted Alakazam after a couple tries and revives.

Blue: I led with Tentacruel, which fainted Pidgeot with Ice Beam. Blue sent out Alakazam, which KOed Tentacruel. I switched to Crobat, tried to Confuse Ray and Attract it, but it snapped out of its confusion two turns in a row and OHKOed Crobat. I sent out Venomoth, let it faint to revive Crobat, and successfully locked down Alakazam and used Bite until it went down. Blue sent out Rhydon, and I tried switching to Victreebel, but Blue got lucky and fainted it. I switched to Nidoqueen and took it down with Surf. Blue sent out Gyarados, I switched to Crobat. I got a Confuse Ray off before Gyarados crushed my Crobat with a Hyper Beam. I sent out Gengar and Thunderbolted it down while it was recovering. Blue sent out Arcanine, I put it to sleep and switched to Nidoqueen as Blue used a full restore. I used Earthquake a few times and took it down, but my Nidoqueen was burnt and almost gone by the end. I used one last Flamethrower against Exeggutor before fainting, then sent out Gengar and finished Exeggutor off with a Shadow Ball.

Red: Nidoqueen 2HKOed Pikachu with Earthquake. Red sent out Espeon next, which 1HKOed my Nidoqueen and Venomoth for ten turns while I stalled it with revives. Once it ran out of Psychic PP, I took it down with Nidoqueen's Shadow Ball. Red switched to Snorlax, I brought out Gengar since it had no non-Normal moves, cursed it, and healed up while waiting for it to run out of Rest PP. Next, I sent out Victreebel, put Venusaur to sleep, and switched to Venomoth. Red switched out Venusaur, sent out Charizard, and fainted Venomoth. I sent out Tentacruel, badly poisoned it, and healed up while it fainted. He sent out his sleeping Venusaur, so I switched to Crobat, confused and infatuated it, and took it down with a Wing Attack. Last, Red sent out Blastoise. This thing fainted every team member except Venomoth (which was alread fainted), and Tentacruel. I had Tentacruel use Toxic against it and kept healing as it lost health. And that won me a second Red battle with no Pokemon over level 50 (Though Crobat leveled up to 51 after I beat Blastoise)

Spoiler:

Next up, I plan to play through a Psychic monotype of Ruby.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Hey everyone! I'm interested in doing a Monotype run of the fan game Pokémon Xenoverse, so I'd like to suggest some points to take into account for those who want to follow suit.

1. Because keeping the Starter (Shyleon, Trishout or Shulong) in the party is mandatory for story progression, I highly recommend that you do a Monotype of any of the six types they cover - that is, Grass, Fire, Water, Fairy, Sound or Dragon. If you do a Monotype outside of any of those types, the Starter can remain in the party (and gain experience if you're playing in Modern Mode/with the Exp. Share on) but must be retired from battling duties as soon as you get a Pokémon of your chosen type.

2. Because they function like any other Pokémon once caught and usually have a low encounter rate otherwise, you may catch any of the X Pokémon bosses if you can do so and if they match your chosen type. (I do recommend farming them around the region though - you can check guides as to how to obtain them.)

3. If you have less than six Pokémon during the battle against your Blue Energy-possessed Starter, before the 4th badge, Abraham will lend you his Scaleon to help you out. As a kind of bonus, you may use it if - and only if - you're on a Mono-Dragon run. Otherwise, ignore it.

4. The endpoint, as is most official games and fan games, is beating the Champion...
Spoiler:

5.. Since the DLC Furious Battles are kind of impractical to do on a sort of run like this, the extra goal for this game would be...
Spoiler:

Amendment time, everyone! Due to story spoilers for Xenoverse I was hesitant about introducing this rule, but given the rules set in the first post of this thread, I decided to do it.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
This thread is being renovated! The new version of the Monotype Challenge, by Explorer of Time - with rules for Scarlet / Violet as well - can be found right here! If you started a run you can post your following updates over there. The lists of participants and champions have also been carried over.

Good luck and have fun with all your future Monotype Runs! :catlove:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back