• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Other Side of the Wilds [IC]

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022

Other Side of the Wilds​

Banesse
The Midsummer Festival
Mid-Summer

The setting sun and cooling air bring life to the streets of Banesse. Tonight is to be the shortest night of the year, and with it comes celebrations of Midsummer all across Minach. The festivities in Banesse are set to be the largest in the area and has already drawn in several visitors from smaller villages in the surrounding area.

The event has even drawn the attention of a few Fae despite the night's meaning having much more importance to the citizens of Telorin. An awestruck Faun wanders the streets and gazing at various merchant stalls, unaware that one of her doe-like ears has escaped her headscarf and her skirt is too short to properly hide her hooves. A man near the bonfire in construction is doing a better job at hiding his nature, except for his bright green eyes and the twigs in his hair that never shift. The crowd seems to either not notice or want to notice the outsiders among them, superstition does run deep among some of the people. But even the most superstitious among the revelers soon forget about the Fae and go back to enjoying their evening.

There's still an hour or two until it is time to set the bonfire alight. Festivities are kicking off in earnest but are still scattered across the village. As the sun sets further, the groups will begin to converge on the town center, where the bonfire will be lit just after sunset. Wine will begin flowing in earnest, and many of the festivalgoers are already speaking of celebrating from sundown to sunrise, a popular test among humans and dwarves in particular.

Current Goal:

Have fun
Get to the bonfire before the sun sets.

Current list of fae laws is:

- Do not accept a favor or owe a debt to a fae. Do not give gifts that can be taken as an obligation. Just don't give gifts the fae are not expecting.
- Do not consume the food or drink of the Glade.
- Do not enter the Glade unattended, especially at night.
- Show no disrespect to guests.
- One's word is their oath. One's oath is their purpose.
- The destruction of beauty is a paramount crime.

Supplementary

A small list of ongoing festivities includes:

- The town tavern is open, inviting quite a crowd of patrons who can't quite wait to start drinking. It's a loud, noisy environment with off-key singing, two separate bards with mistuned lutes trying to draw the crowd their way, and a rather large game of cards going on in the corner.
- Work on the bonfire is still ongoing. This is a huge, house-sized project and progress hasn't been exactly speedy. The green-eyed stranger's criticism isn't helping progress.
- Several merchants have set up roadside stalls to sell to festival patrons. The area of the village they've set up in has become a hotspot in and of itself, drawing more to the crowd with the smell of cooking food.
- A lot of dancing. So much dancing across the village. Musicians may be present.

So why are we celebrating?

As mentioned, this is a holiday more for the people of Telorin than an event worthy of celebration to the Fae. Midsummer represents an important shift in the seasons for the Fae, but the changing of the seasons is not a particularly celebratory event for the Fae.

For the people of Telorin, the planting for the year is finally over, and that is reason enough to relax for a change. For the humans and elves, the event means much more than just the harvest season. Astera holds Midsummer as the night to celebrate the fall of the Frost Giants long ago, a practice that caught on across much of the human nations. For the high elves it is the day Essolin is at his most powerful, and thus a natural day for his chosen people to celebrate. Orcs are typically eager to celebrate, although they may not quite agree with celebrating around the hottest time of the year. The dwarves and floren have no complaints about having another reason to celebrate, which leaves the Nyxti alone as the only major race of Telorin that tends to not celebrate the event.

Banesse has a fairly typical line up of events. Gluttony, drunkenness, dancing, and it's all tied together with a massive summer bonfire. This bonfire is the central point of the festival, and Minachian settlements have to be careful when gathering material to avoid felling trees that fall under the protection of the Fae.
Poor pawns, blind to their own fate. The pieces aren't quite all here yet, but let's make the opening moves, shall we?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023

Hainer Moradi // Banesse Marketplace

Hainer sat back on his wooden chair, relaxing as he stared at the bustling market streets of Banesse. People were coming and going, mingling and shouting, grabbing things from vendors and overall having a pleasant time. He had taken a bit of break from walking around, and took a seat in an undercover eating area, in the marketplace. It was the perfect spot to get some food and drink and rest for a bit in the cool shade, away from the sun's rays on those warmer days.

"What're you looking at?" A familiar voice asked. Hainer turned his attention to his side, to see another guardsmen approach him. He recognized the man as David. He was older than Hainer, about mid 30s and had short brown hair. Unlike Hainer however, he was wearing a black breastplate onto of his uniform. David approached Hainer, as he sat down holding two skewers of meat, and handing one to Hainer.

"Nothing, I'm people watching." He responded, taking a bite out of the meat while continuing to watch the marketplace.

"Ya know, days like today, there's bound to be trouble. People drinking, having fun…" David said, taking bits of meat off the skewer with his teeth. "How do you think they celebrate Midsummer in other places?" David pondered.

"No idea." Hainer responded quickly, not wishing to talk much, but rather occupied with the food in his hand.

"Oh c'mon, don't you ever wonder? Don't you ever think about what's out there?" David said, pointing his hands outwards to the sky, referring to the world beyond Banesse. "Surely you don't wish to stay cooped in this town forever?" David said.

Hainer stayed quiet for a few second, taking another bite before speaking. "I mean, sure maybe one day. I sort of content with my life right now." He responded, then turning to David. "And you should be content too. Don't you have a wife and child? I'm not sure if you're in a position to be dreaming of adventure right now." Hainer chuckled. David laughed out of slight embarrassment.

"Haha, I guess you're right. A guy can dream." David paused. "Hard to believe a few years ago I did have those aspirations…" He said, pondering in thought.

"Somewhere out there, I have family that I have never even met. Maybe one day I'll set out and see what I can find." He said, finishing the piece of meat on his skewer. He thought about his mother briefly, wondering if she were even alive at this point in time. There was so much he would have liked to talk to her about, but he really had no trail at all to go off of. He shook his head, snapping out of his train of though. "Anyways, shall we take a walk around?" Hainer said to his comrade, standing up and stretching out his legs. David nodded, finishing his food and standing up as well. They slowly began to walk outside of the seated area, back to bustling area of the market. The smells of spices and food filled the air, and Hainer could tell it was going to somewhat busy day today.​

Last edited:
Back