• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anti Virus software you use nowadays?

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen yesterday
What anti virus software do you use nowadays? I just use Windows Defender but did have paid anti virus at one time.

Years
windows defender is the way to go for windows. if you use anything else, especially one you pay for, then you're getting scammed

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Uses Windows Defender. Runs Malwarebytes (free version) on occasion too, if you wish to count that.

.hack

skunkape
Years
I used Avast another free one, also available on mobile, it did start to piss me off eventually (can't remember why). I think I still have it on my android phone tho.

Years
Haven't used a 3rd party AV since 2015 I think? I tried Malwarebytes once but it kept detecting my uh... semi-legally obtained softwarez.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Windows defender a lot thought really want to use AVAST or FREE versions of these programs. People say notron is worse but it is then you don't want that

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Just use the default built in scanner. Everything else is lowkey adware. Avast demands you buy it. Malware bytes does, too. I don't download anything and have a pop-up blocker & ad blocker on my browser, so I don't really need a 3rd party one. I'm fine with defender.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Windows Defender is pretty standard fare for Windows. I don't worry about anything on my Linux partitions on my various devices as I don't use it often, and lol macbooks pretty much never need them because of how walled the Apple garden is when you stick to it.

Years
The one that comes with Windows, it's effective these days. But I back it up with Malwarebytes too even if they do harass me to get premium every time I open it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Just regular WIndows Defender on my work computer and nothing really on my Linux machine. I don't really do much downloading these days, use adblockers and stuff and if I end up needing some software I either look for it in my distro's package manager or get the source and compile it.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Just regular WIndows Defender on my work computer and nothing really on my Linux machine. I don't really do much downloading these days, use adblockers and stuff and if I end up needing some software I either look for it in my distro's package manager or get the source and compile it.

Does Linux have antivirus? I've been using it some for a while, but I haven't looked into it because you don't really need it

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Does Linux have antivirus? I've been using it some for a while, but I haven't looked into it because you don't really need it
The most well known one is ClamAV. There are also some distributions that are basically just an AV. Like, those live CDs that companies like Kaspersky used to give out.

Honestly, whenever people do talk about using an AV on Linux it's usually not about using it for Linux. For example: some people recommend to scan your emails when you're on Linux especially if you plan to deliver it to a Windows machine. Basically, not to keep your Linux safe. But instead to make sure that any Windows machine that interacts with that Linux machine is protected well.

But that's also been a couple years since I've heard it. I'm not sure if it's still necessary nowadays.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Way back when in the ancient time of the 2010s our home desktop used to have Panda Antivirus, I think.

Nowadays I have Windows Defender because I'm forced to and more often than not it just gets in the way.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
I'm about to have my new PC built and I popped into this topic to see what I should get and... you're all saying Windows Defender? You mean that one that is built in with the OS? o.O We can just use that, now? Is it that simple? Hm...

Years
Avira for me on Windows, nothing on the Mac. Hardly have virus issues even on my Windows computer nowadays but that is largely because I'm more cautious and aware of what pages I access and what things I download aha. The lack of viruses on the Mac is super convenient too! I do use Malwarebytes scanner on it every few months just in case though.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
I don't use any virus protection on my computer other than the default Windows Defender, I guess. I just never felt that I needed virus protection because I am typically careful with my internet activity regardless.

Back