ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #176    
Old August 17th, 2012 (4:02 AM).
Murkrow's Avatar
Murkrow Murkrow is offline
Nasty Plotting
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 613
    probably also i dislike how many of the good TMs (like Psychic, fire blast, shadowball etc.) cannot be found in the current beta at all.

    and also, tentacruel does not learn thunder in any way (level, Tm or breeding), so giving thunder to the last gym leader's tentacruel is basically hax. i mean cmon if u want, just give the gym leader zapdos then?
    __________________

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #177    
    Old August 17th, 2012 (6:34 AM).
    miksy91's Avatar
    miksy91 miksy91 is offline
    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
       
      Join Date: Oct 2008
      Location: A small country in the North
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 1,438
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
      probably also i dislike how many of the good TMs (like Psychic, fire blast, shadowball etc.) cannot be found in the current beta at all.
      They will be, in the following releases. Beta 3 is not a > 70% gameplay release you know.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
      and also, tentacruel does not learn thunder in any way (level, Tm or breeding), so giving thunder to the last gym leader's tentacruel is basically hax. i mean cmon if u want, just give the gym leader zapdos then?


      Pointing these out that it's not meant to be "hax" like you said it was.
      __________________
      My Rom Hack



      Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

      Learn how to hack GB/C games:

      Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
      Reply With Quote
        #178    
      Old August 17th, 2012 (5:46 PM).
      Murkrow's Avatar
      Murkrow Murkrow is offline
      Nasty Plotting
         
        Join Date: Jan 2008
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 613
        still see that as a cheap and illogical way of countering ground types (considering the electric gym leader). Lanturn would have been more appropriate.
        __________________

        Reply With Quote
          #179    
        Old August 19th, 2012 (8:06 AM).
        Sandip204 Sandip204 is offline
           
          Join Date: Mar 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 1
          Hi miksy91. I played all pokemon game.i don't really llke 2nd gen games. But played this hack and loved it so much. The hack is amazing and i can't wait for next beta. Pleash tell me when the next beta came.
          Reply With Quote
            #180    
          Old August 20th, 2012 (6:59 AM). Edited August 20th, 2012 by argongamestv.
          argongamestv argongamestv is offline
             
            Join Date: Aug 2012
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 1
            Hi, I'm really enjoying your hack so far, the story so far is great and there's only a small complaint that I have, I think some of the gyms are a bit over powered, ending up with me having to level grind quite a lot. Also I'm having trouble finding flash for that cave after the water gym, could I have a hint for it maybe? I'm playing through it a few times as preparation for an upcoming lets play that will happen in a couple of weeks, in HD to.

            *Edit*

            Nvm about flash, I found it and think I've completed all the gyms and the BBB, The Sages are the only thing left. I've found 2 pages in that book about eevee evolutions, is there more to find in the current patch? Lastly is there only one orb to find in the current beta and what exactly do I do after I've found it or is that the end of the beta? Thanks in advance, and I love this hack, one of the best I've played. I'm going to play through 1 or 2 more times to try find most (if not all) of the hidden items and TMs. If it's not to much trouble could you send me a list to check off because I will possibly make a written walkthrough.
            Reply With Quote
              #181    
            Old August 20th, 2012 (8:48 AM).
            miksy91's Avatar
            miksy91 miksy91 is offline
            Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
               
              Join Date: Oct 2008
              Location: A small country in the North
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 1,438
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
              still see that as a cheap and illogical way of countering ground types (considering the electric gym leader). Lanturn would have been more appropriate.
              Not going to change it unless there will be more complaining about it. I really like the way it is right now.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Sandip204 View Post
              Hi miksy91. I played all pokemon game.i don't really llke 2nd gen games. But played this hack and loved it so much. The hack is amazing and i can't wait for next beta. Pleash tell me when the next beta came.
              Thank you
              Keep following the updates and you'll notice when I set a release date for it. For now, it looks like the next release will be up sometime during 2013.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by argongamestv View Post
              Hi, I'm really enjoying your hack so far, the story so far is great and there's only a small complaint that I have, I think some of the gyms are a bit over powered, ending up with me having to level grind quite a lot. Also I'm having trouble finding flash for that cave after the water gym, could I have a hint for it maybe? I'm playing through it a few times as preparation for an upcoming lets play that will happen in a couple of weeks, in HD to.
              Thanks! Beta 3.0 was too much of a grinding game but the hack shouldn't be that bad at its current state. If you've to grind a lot, you're probably not using a good strategy against the gym leaders because I didn't have to grind much to beat them. About HM Flash, there is FAQ in the main post for a reason.

              Where can I get the HMs ?
              Spoiler:
              HM01 - Eventually by playing
              HM02 - Milky Village
              HM03 - Eventually by playing
              HM05 - Brightbulb City
              Rest are currently unobtainable.


              By the way, I'll be probably taking a look at that LP later.
              __________________
              My Rom Hack



              Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
              CP of encountered pokemon in GO

              Learn how to hack GB/C games:

              Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
              -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
              Reply With Quote
                #182    
              Old August 21st, 2012 (8:54 AM).
              machomuu's Avatar
              machomuu machomuu is offline
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Apr 2008
              Location: Americalanavania
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 10,309
              I don't know if I already said this, but this hack is truly impressive, I can only think of two or three other Pokemon hacks that meet this level of Scripting and ASM prowess. I never would have expected a hack like this from you, though. I mean, seeing your other hacks, I expected great mapping and various other elements, but the scripting and ASM is mindblowingly good, especially from the PoV of someone who dabbles in both. Have you been practicing in secret?
              __________________
              Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


              I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
              Reply With Quote
                #183    
              Old August 21st, 2012 (12:48 PM).
              Snakebyte's Avatar
              Snakebyte Snakebyte is offline
              About time, I'd say...
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2010
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 293
                Just wanted to drop by and offer my sympathies that Snakewood is beating you out for HOTQ. I played Snakewood and enjoyed it, but I voted for you.

                The progress looks great, and I'll find time to try Beta 3.1 and report back soon, honest. :D
                __________________
                The Light Platinum English translation is complete, and can be found here: (1.0, 1.1, Final)
                Reply With Quote
                  #184    
                Old August 21st, 2012 (10:45 PM). Edited August 21st, 2012 by miksy91.
                miksy91's Avatar
                miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2008
                  Location: A small country in the North
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 1,438
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by argongamestv View Post
                  Nvm about flash, I found it and think I've completed all the gyms and the BBB, The Sages are the only thing left. I've found 2 pages in that book about eevee evolutions, is there more to find in the current patch? Lastly is there only one orb to find in the current beta and what exactly do I do after I've found it or is that the end of the beta? Thanks in advance, and I love this hack, one of the best I've played. I'm going to play through 1 or 2 more times to try find most (if not all) of the hidden items and TMs. If it's not to much trouble could you send me a list to check off because I will possibly make a written walkthrough.
                  There are 4 pages in Beta 3 in all. The beta ends in Brightbulb City so if you've already gotten an orb too, there is not much you can do expect for try to beat the Grand Tower and Fisherman Dustin (Magikarp trainer) if you want to.

                  You should be able to open the rom file with Johtomap to see where different kinds of events are located and what you may have missed.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
                  I don't know if I already said this, but this hack is truly impressive, I can only think of two or three other Pokemon hacks that meet this level of Scripting and ASM prowess. I never would have expected a hack like this from you, though. I mean, seeing your other hacks, I expected great mapping and various other elements, but the scripting and ASM is mindblowingly good, especially from the PoV of someone who dabbles in both. Have you been practicing in secret?
                  Thanks!
                  Well, Ultimate End was the last minor edit I finished and that was around 3 years ago. After that, I've been studying how to rom hack in general and have gotten pretty good at it. So no, I haven't been practising in secret but haven't published any complete rom hacks since Ultimate End came out.

                  Dark Future was too re-started two times. This was first a Crystal hack and then a Gold hack. Google the original threads if you like to see what the hack once looked like.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Snakebyte View Post
                  Just wanted to drop by and offer my sympathies that Snakewood is beating you out for HOTQ. I played Snakewood and enjoyed it, but I voted for you.

                  The progress looks great, and I'll find time to try Beta 3.1 and report back soon, honest. :D
                  I know :D
                  While I saw kkj1116 edit his post about praising Dark Future over to the two other hacks and make it compare Snakewood more and more to it, I realized something. What you can see in Beta 3.1 doesn't give you an idea of what the complete hack is going to be. One person in the thread said that "if Dark Future was complete, it would be kicking some butt right now", and I so much agreed with this. I know how the up-coming events are going to be but after thinking about what Beta 3.1 offers the player, I'm a little bit disappointed in making it like that.
                  You'll be hunting Elemental Orbs while carrying out a mission to go to meet some archeologists in Rocky Mountain because of some ancient text that has something to do with The Crisis. And that's that (yet you can't do a thing about this than finding one orb during the beta).

                  I've a well-planned storyline for the hack but the player won't notice what (s)he's going to miss if quitted playing before reaching Rocky Mountain. That's the point when the game really begins.

                  More and more reason for me to delay releasing the next beta before at least including Rocky Mountain to it. And getting that far is going to take a long time indeed.
                  __________________
                  My Rom Hack



                  Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                  CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                  Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                  Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                  -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                  Reply With Quote
                    #185    
                  Old August 22nd, 2012 (9:40 AM).
                  Cyclone's Avatar
                  Cyclone Cyclone is offline
                  Eye of the Storm
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2012
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 3,392
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                    While I saw kkj1116 edit his post about praising Dark Future over to the two other hacks and make it compare Snakewood more and more to it, I realized something. What you can see in Beta 3.1 doesn't give you an idea of what the complete hack is going to be. One person in the thread said that "if Dark Future was complete, it would be kicking some butt right now", and I so much agreed with this.
                    The same could be said for Crystal Dust right now. It will be a complete hack of Crystal ported to Emerald, and I know a couple of the future plans (not much mind) and know the potential things that could be done (such as adding new trainers that give you stuff in Kanto, adding the starters to the grass in Kanto, adding new legendaries not in G/S/C in their original forms, i.e. Gen. III, and find a home for Mew...things like that), which gives it the vote for me. The storyline can continue in Kanto with Team Aqua or Team Magma showing up, giving reason for Groudon and Kyogre to come into the Crystal World. There is so much potential.

                    Cyclone
                    __________________
                    "Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

                    Cyclone. FC: 2079-8536-2160. Safari on X (5327-1949-9511): Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
                    Breeder extraordinaire. Semi-competent battler.

                    Building an event collection. If you want to help my sickness, ask what I have to trade!

                    Reply With Quote
                      #186    
                    Old August 22nd, 2012 (10:42 PM).
                    RubyHacker's Avatar
                    RubyHacker RubyHacker is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2010
                      Location: Romania
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quiet
                      Posts: 70
                      miksy91, I gotta say: This is one of the best. I remember playing the Crystal version, but this is a lot better. I loved the parts where the music stopped. You knew something was coming. I was kinda sad the beta ended so fast, but that's ok. Keep it up!
                      Reply With Quote
                        #187    
                      Old August 23rd, 2012 (7:17 AM).
                      miksy91's Avatar
                      miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2008
                        Location: A small country in the North
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 1,438
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
                        The same could be said for Crystal Dust right now. It will be a complete hack of Crystal ported to Emerald, and I know a couple of the future plans (not much mind) and know the potential things that could be done (such as adding new trainers that give you stuff in Kanto, adding the starters to the grass in Kanto, adding new legendaries not in G/S/C in their original forms, i.e. Gen. III, and find a home for Mew...things like that), which gives it the vote for me. The storyline can continue in Kanto with Team Aqua or Team Magma showing up, giving reason for Groudon and Kyogre to come into the Crystal World. There is so much potential.

                        Cyclone
                        Perhaps getting a little off-topic but I just felt like saying I respect your opinion here.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by RubyHacker View Post
                        miksy91, I gotta say: This is one of the best. I remember playing the Crystal version, but this is a lot better. I loved the parts where the music stopped. You knew something was coming. I was kinda sad the beta ended so fast, but that's ok. Keep it up!
                        Thanks! Beta 3 wasn't that big so I'm going to make the next one a lot bigger: basically, I'll include a lot more gameplay and give a major part to the storyline in the hack.

                        About the storyline, here's a video I happened to upload in youtube although didn't think it was even a good thing to record it. It may show a bit too much of the gameplay and reveal more about the Elemental Orbs and other storyline related stuff that you could find out in Beta 3. Simply, if you want to know what will be going on in the next release, check it out.

                        __________________
                        My Rom Hack



                        Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                        CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                        Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                        Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                        -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                        Reply With Quote
                          #188    
                        Old August 24th, 2012 (6:55 PM).
                        y0r124's Avatar
                        y0r124 y0r124 is offline
                        EpicTrainer
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2012
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Impish
                          Posts: 19
                          Hello Miksy91 , This is great hack, I like it
                          But I want to ask , What is the password to the abandoned Search Center ??
                          Reply With Quote
                            #189    
                          Old August 25th, 2012 (12:09 AM).
                          RubyHacker's Avatar
                          RubyHacker RubyHacker is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2010
                            Location: Romania
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Quiet
                            Posts: 70
                            He said that you will find out in the next release. Read the FAQ at the first page for more info.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #190    
                            Old August 26th, 2012 (5:45 PM).
                            Blue Emerald's Avatar
                            Blue Emerald Blue Emerald is offline
                            One of life's great mysteries
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2012
                              Age: 27
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Naive
                              Posts: 82
                              This is my first time playing a ROM hack of a Pokemon game, and after having clocked in a couple of hours, I really like it! The biggest thing I've noticed is how nonlinear the game feels. Making the Gyms optional made quite a difference, and the point where my character reminds me that I should challenge the first Gym was a nice touch. The selection of wild Pokemon in the early routes is really nice, too. I like how I'm not just fighting your standard fare of birds and rodents in the first few minutes of the game; I mean, I understand why the official games do this, and that is to slowly introduce you to all the different Pokemon types, but I much prefer having more varied options available to me right away like you've done here. Though I suppose it makes more sense here, since you start with a Normal-type, so your team already needs to be strengthened with more type variety.

                              Something I'd like to suggest that I found as I was starting out leveling up my Pokemon is how I think it would be better if "Heal Pokemon" was the first option your mom gives you. It's only because chances are good that players aren't going to be asking her to save/not save their money nearly as often as they'll ask her to heal their Pokemon. It's just quicker, I think. Another thing that I think should be looked at is how some message boxes don't appear until you press A; since most of the choice-based message boxes in the game appear right after dialogue, it can be slightly disorienting at times. Also, I've been noticing a lot of typos and grammatical errors (i.e. "Accurary") throughout the game, but it's not anything important. Worry about that stuff until after you've finished everything in the game; I'm just a little bit of a grammar nut, that's all, haha!

                              Speaking of stats, I like how you've renamed some of the stats to things like "Strength" and "Intelligence"; they sound much more elegant than "Attack" and "Special Attack." It's just a more effective way of saying that a Pokemon's physical attacks are determined by physical strength or that its intelligence is high enough to resist magic/elemental-based attacks, and I just find that neat. Also, really digging the difficulty level of the game. So far, you've done a good job encouraging progress and discouraging grinding; it's something I didn't encounter much in the official games.

                              So, in all, just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this so far!
                              Reply With Quote
                                #191    
                              Old August 27th, 2012 (1:34 AM).
                              kys27's Avatar
                              kys27 kys27 is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2007
                                Location: Poland
                                Gender:
                                Nature: Relaxed
                                Posts: 4
                                Hello. I just wanted to say, it's really, really great hack, and I'm really, really enjoyed playing this ;) GBC generation is my favorite, so this is another good thing.
                                Good luck on next releases !
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #192    
                                Old August 27th, 2012 (6:15 AM). Edited August 27th, 2012 by miksy91.
                                miksy91's Avatar
                                miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                                Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2008
                                  Location: A small country in the North
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 1,438
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by y0r124 View Post
                                  Hello Miksy91 , This is great hack, I like it
                                  But I want to ask , What is the password to the abandoned Search Center ??
                                  Thanks! Check the FAQ next time before posting a question (which goes for everyone else too).

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by kys27 View Post
                                  Hello. I just wanted to say, it's really, really great hack, and I'm really, really enjoyed playing this GBC generation is my favorite, so this is another good thing.
                                  Good luck on next releases !
                                  Thank you!

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
                                  This is my first time playing a ROM hack of a Pokemon game, and after having clocked in a couple of hours, I really like it! The biggest thing I've noticed is how nonlinear the game feels. Making the Gyms optional made quite a difference, and the point where my character reminds me that I should challenge the first Gym was a nice touch. The selection of wild Pokemon in the early routes is really nice, too. I like how I'm not just fighting your standard fare of birds and rodents in the first few minutes of the game; I mean, I understand why the official games do this, and that is to slowly introduce you to all the different Pokemon types, but I much prefer having more varied options available to me right away like you've done here. Though I suppose it makes more sense here, since you start with a Normal-type, so your team already needs to be strengthened with more type variety.

                                  Something I'd like to suggest that I found as I was starting out leveling up my Pokemon is how I think it would be better if "Heal Pokemon" was the first option your mom gives you. It's only because chances are good that players aren't going to be asking her to save/not save their money nearly as often as they'll ask her to heal their Pokemon. It's just quicker, I think. Another thing that I think should be looked at is how some message boxes don't appear until you press A; since most of the choice-based message boxes in the game appear right after dialogue, it can be slightly disorienting at times. Also, I've been noticing a lot of typos and grammatical errors (i.e. "Accurary") throughout the game, but it's not anything important. Worry about that stuff until after you've finished everything in the game; I'm just a little bit of a grammar nut, that's all, haha!

                                  Speaking of stats, I like how you've renamed some of the stats to things like "Strength" and "Intelligence"; they sound much more elegant than "Attack" and "Special Attack." It's just a more effective way of saying that a Pokemon's physical attacks are determined by physical strength or that its intelligence is high enough to resist magic/elemental-based attacks, and I just find that neat. Also, really digging the difficulty level of the game. So far, you've done a good job encouraging progress and discouraging grinding; it's something I didn't encounter much in the official games.

                                  So, in all, just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this so far!
                                  Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it.

                                  Switching "Heal pokemon" and "Money saving" options is no big deal and I guess you're right that they could be the other way around.

                                  About YES/NO boxes, now that you mentioned it, I noticed that Gamefreak designed scripts involving this option in a different way than I did. In these kind of scripts in Beta 3, there is always a useless command that requires player to push A button before displaying the YES/NO box which can easily be taken out. I'll be fixing this for later releases.

                                  And what comes to typos and grammatical errors, the beginning of the game likely has more of those than what you see later on. You see, I'm not from North-America or UK like you might assume by the quality of text. Related to that, I think I'm doing very good with grammar which I'm actually taking this in notice while planning what kind of text to input; every time I'm unsure how to say a certain thing (a word or a short sentence) I often use a net wordbook as help. When the hack gets released and someone wants to fix all these grammatical errors for me, I'll probably let him/her to do so too.

                                  By the way, nice to hear that you like new "stat names". I don't think I've gotten critique by using them this far but no one has mentioned them being a good thing either.

                                  Still, thanks for the feedback and feel free to post something related to the hack as you get further on with the story. The further you get, the better the hack gets too (my skills have improved a lot since I started this hack).
                                  __________________
                                  My Rom Hack



                                  Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                  CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                                  Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                                  Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                  -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #193    
                                  Old August 27th, 2012 (8:19 AM).
                                  Cyclone's Avatar
                                  Cyclone Cyclone is offline
                                  Eye of the Storm
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jul 2012
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 3,392
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                                    Not going to change it unless there will be more complaining about it. I really like the way it is right now.
                                    I forgot to reply to this (from a few days ago) in my other reply. I'll comment on this.

                                    If a move cannot be legitimately learned by any Pokémon used by the player (including TMs, breeding, and any legitimate means), then it should not be learned by any opposing identical Pokémon either. I've reviewed the data for Tentacruel in replying to this, and it learns no Electric moves at all; in fact, Tentacruel is WEAK to Electric moves, so just using such a move should shock it into a coma.

                                    Giving a Tentacruel Thunder is an illegally learned move regardless of the reason and does nothing to increase the challenge of the battle as you're likely fighting using an Electric type, so I recommend that change if I may.

                                    Cyclone
                                    __________________
                                    "Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

                                    Cyclone. FC: 2079-8536-2160. Safari on X (5327-1949-9511): Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
                                    Breeder extraordinaire. Semi-competent battler.

                                    Building an event collection. If you want to help my sickness, ask what I have to trade!

                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #194    
                                    Old August 27th, 2012 (11:30 AM). Edited August 27th, 2012 by Blue Emerald.
                                    Blue Emerald's Avatar
                                    Blue Emerald Blue Emerald is offline
                                    One of life's great mysteries
                                       
                                      Join Date: Aug 2012
                                      Age: 27
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Naive
                                      Posts: 82
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
                                      I forgot to reply to this (from a few days ago) in my other reply. I'll comment on this.

                                      If a move cannot be legitimately learned by any Pokémon used by the player (including TMs, breeding, and any legitimate means), then it should not be learned by any opposing identical Pokémon either. I've reviewed the data for Tentacruel in replying to this, and it learns no Electric moves at all; in fact, Tentacruel is WEAK to Electric moves, so just using such a move should shock it into a coma.

                                      Giving a Tentacruel Thunder is an illegally learned move regardless of the reason and does nothing to increase the challenge of the battle as you're likely fighting using an Electric type, so I recommend that change if I may.

                                      Cyclone
                                      In response to this, since your data comes from Bulbapedia, I would advise not putting much faith in it, since this is a ROM hack, and movesets can be changed from the official ones to allow for new attacks, such as giving Metapod Headbutt.

                                      In regards to Tentacruel, while I think it's great that it can learn Electric moves (since it is a jellyfish and being able to shock its prey is a believable trait), I also have to agree that it doesn't seem like it would increase the challenge factor; even if it's not an Electric-type, it's still weak to Ground moves. If you had a Jolteon or Pikachu with Dig (I assume Pikachu can learn it in this hack, even though I haven't caught one yet), you could avoid Electric hits and still deal super-effective damage on everything. Personally, I think Lanturn would be a stronger replacement, since it can hit more things super-effectively, it gains STAB for its Electric moves, but while it has lower stats (save for HP) and is not as resistant as Tentacruel, it is weak to fewer types.

                                      That is, unless you chose Tentacruel primarily because it's much faster, thus harder to get a hit in on it, in which case I can see why it works.

                                      [EDIT] Also, I'm in the Grass Gym right now; I noticed you automated the staircase to push the character in given directions depending on where he steps on it. I get the feeling this was meant to be an escalator, but I'd think it would be faster to let the player character manually run across the steps on either side without a scripted event that forces him to walk up/down them. I'm not saying it was a bad thing to do, it's a neat trick! I'm just saying it doesn't have a practical use in this situation.

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                                      And what comes to typos and grammatical errors, the beginning of the game likely has more of those than what you see later on. You see, I'm not from North-America or UK like you might assume by the quality of text. Related to that, I think I'm doing very good with grammar which I'm actually taking this in notice while planning what kind of text to input; every time I'm unsure how to say a certain thing (a word or a short sentence) I often use a net wordbook as help. When the hack gets released and someone wants to fix all these grammatical errors for me, I'll probably let him/her to do so too.
                                      Ah, I see. I would be happy to volunteer with the proofreading when the time comes to release the game. I could also probably come up with some new extra dialogue for some of the trainers, since I noticed some didn't have any post-battle overworld dialogue after you beat them.
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #195    
                                      Old August 27th, 2012 (6:30 PM).
                                      Cyclone's Avatar
                                      Cyclone Cyclone is offline
                                      Eye of the Storm
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jul 2012
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 3,392
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
                                        In response to this, since your data comes from Bulbapedia, I would advise not putting much faith in it, since this is a ROM hack, and movesets can be changed from the official ones to allow for new attacks, such as giving Metapod Headbutt.
                                        I will concede the point. My data does come from Bulbapedia, and I did not consider some hacks adding new moves in in places in the evolutionary lines. My point still stands, however; if Tentacruel cannot learn Thunder, then an opposing one should not have Thunder.

                                        Cyclone
                                        __________________
                                        "Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

                                        Cyclone. FC: 2079-8536-2160. Safari on X (5327-1949-9511): Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
                                        Breeder extraordinaire. Semi-competent battler.

                                        Building an event collection. If you want to help my sickness, ask what I have to trade!

                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #196    
                                        Old August 27th, 2012 (11:03 PM). Edited August 27th, 2012 by miksy91.
                                        miksy91's Avatar
                                        miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                                        Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                                           
                                          Join Date: Oct 2008
                                          Location: A small country in the North
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Relaxed
                                          Posts: 1,438
                                          No quote here because of most of the posting being about pokemon with special moves they shouldn't learn. There are Aipom with Extremespeed, Metapod with Headbutt, that Tentacruel with Thunder (and Night Shade maybe?) and perhaps more which I can't remember at the moment. All in all, these changes work (somewhat) but I'll be taking a look at them later and how to make them work better. The most reasonable way would be removing those moves from these pokemon but I think I'll make them learn them through TMs instead. This is just one of the things I have never been "worried" of because I simply don't mind having to battle a pokemon like that and seeing it knows moves it probably should be able to learn in certain circumstances but doesn't. If you take a look at Pokemon Stadium for instance, there is Fire Blast Machamp (which is what I believe one knows) along with many more combinations like that.

                                          But yeah, this is not one of the "first things to do" in my list but I'll get to it eventually. There should be a change to this in the next beta.

                                          EDIT:
                                          Too much work to implement properly. There are loads of "impossible" combinations around: Quick Attack Spearow, Pikachu with Jump Kick, Blastoise with Take Down.... You see, there is very little space (without relocating lots of assembly code) for adding new moves for pokemon to learn and I'm not a real fanatic either and can't simply remember whether Tm Jump Kick exists in the game and can Pikachu really learn it or not. Same way, I believe TM Quick Attack doesn't exist yet one Spearow knows it but what's the big deal about it? I'll try to remove all the "cheat" combinations which simply don't work. No one wants to see a Pidgeotto with a Blizzard or something close to that but if there is a Delibird with a Drill Peck, I'd be absolutely fine to see something like this in a hack. I'm not Gamefreak Inc. and not creating a game with everything at its finest. Checking that every move combination works perfectly or making them work if needed is too much to ask. As I wrote a couple of lines above though, I'll be taking a look if I can find "cheats" around and fixing them. By the way, I just made it so Metapod can be taught Headbutt which also goes for Tentacruel with Thunder.


                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
                                          Also, I'm in the Grass Gym right now; I noticed you automated the staircase to push the character in given directions depending on where he steps on it. I get the feeling this was meant to be an escalator, but I'd think it would be faster to let the player character manually run across the steps on either side without a scripted event that forces him to walk up/down them. I'm not saying it was a bad thing to do, it's a neat trick! I'm just saying it doesn't have a practical use in this situation.
                                          Running was implemented way later and at that time, you could have walked up the stairs as fast as you could be "lifted up". I don't think this needs a change although it's possible to run in buildings indeed (and this feature does have a use in another gym, like also in this one by splitting up two types of floors tiles from another).

                                          You see, there is no script that moves you up when stepping on a certain part of the stairs. The tile (or properly said, block consisting of 2x2 tiles) itself is made to do that effect with a code that is called when you step on it so I'd have to make another type of stairs-tile for not automatical moving. When left part of stairs block is accessed, player walks one step up and when right part, one step down.

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
                                          Ah, I see. I would be happy to volunteer with the proofreading when the time comes to release the game. I could also probably come up with some new extra dialogue for some of the trainers, since I noticed some didn't have any post-battle overworld dialogue after you beat them.
                                          Interestingly enough, another person just PMed me about this already and I told he could help me out. I won't be needing two people fixing the grammar though so in case he's going to do it, I'd have to say no for now :\

                                          If you want to plan something for the people to say after battle who currently say:

                                          1) What they said before the battle
                                          2) When they lost
                                          feel free to help. You could PM me in which Area the trainer is and what he should say instead and I'll implement those changes.
                                          __________________
                                          My Rom Hack



                                          Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                          CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                                          Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                                          Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                          -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #197    
                                          Old August 28th, 2012 (1:28 AM).
                                          Blue Emerald's Avatar
                                          Blue Emerald Blue Emerald is offline
                                          One of life's great mysteries
                                             
                                            Join Date: Aug 2012
                                            Age: 27
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Naive
                                            Posts: 82
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                                            No quote here because of most of the posting being about pokemon with special moves they shouldn't learn. There are Aipom with Extremespeed, Metapod with Headbutt, that Tentacruel with Thunder (and Night Shade maybe?) and perhaps more which I can't remember at the moment. All in all, these changes work (somewhat) but I'll be taking a look at them later and how to make them work better. The most reasonable way would be removing those moves from these pokemon but I think I'll make them learn them through TMs instead. This is just one of the things I have never been "worried" of because I simply don't mind having to battle a pokemon like that and seeing it knows moves it probably should be able to learn in certain circumstances but doesn't. If you take a look at Pokemon Stadium for instance, there is Fire Blast Machamp (which is what I believe one knows) along with many more combinations like that.

                                            But yeah, this is not one of the "first things to do" in my list but I'll get to it eventually. There should be a change to this in the next beta.

                                            EDIT:
                                            Too much work to implement properly. There are loads of "impossible" combinations around: Quick Attack Spearow, Pikachu with Jump Kick, Blastoise with Take Down.... You see, there is very little space (without relocating lots of assembly code) for adding new moves for pokemon to learn and I'm not a real fanatic either and can't simply remember whether Tm Jump Kick exists in the game and can Pikachu really learn it or not. Same way, I believe TM Quick Attack doesn't exist yet one Spearow knows it but what's the big deal about it? I'll try to remove all the "cheat" combinations which simply don't work. No one wants to see a Pidgeotto with a Blizzard or something close to that but if there is a Delibird with a Drill Peck, I'd be absolutely fine to see something like this in a hack. I'm not Gamefreak Inc. and not creating a game with everything at its finest. Checking that every move combination works perfectly or making them work if needed is too much to ask. As I wrote a couple of lines above though, I'll be taking a look if I can find "cheats" around and fixing them. By the way, I just made it so Metapod can be taught Headbutt which also goes for Tentacruel with Thunder.
                                            I'm personally okay with battling against Pokemon that are one-of-a-kind and can do things they normally can't do. I mean, the player character gets a talking Eevee, and encounters other Pokemon through unique situations. So who's to say your character should be the only one allowed to have unique and interesting creatures? Other RPGs are like that too, where you'll sometimes encounter things that are out of the ordinary. Plus, it makes the game more surprising by throwing unexpected stuff your way, and I've been enjoying this element of the game.

                                            For example (spoilered for others to discover):
                                            Spoiler:
                                            The Sandshrew with Sharpen made sense, as I could tell it was supposed to be like Hone Claws, and the combination with Swift was fun because it encouraged you to act fast if you wanted to beat it before it was strong enough to wipe you out. The Bayleef with Quick Attack was interesting and effective (knocked out my Butterfree with it) though honestly, given its physical build, didn't really make sense with it, especially when you consider what it evolves into. =P
                                            Pikachu with Jump Kick works because it's a nimble Pokemon, and it already can learn some kick moves, but this particular one makes it tougher for slower Rock/Ground-types to take it out as easily. And a Blastoise with Take Down makes sense because it could already learn the move in Gen I. Same with Quick Attack Spearow through breeding.

                                            I say keep the Pokemon with the unique moves, so long as the Pokemon looks like it's capable of using those moves; it has made for an interesting challenge.
                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #198    
                                            Old August 28th, 2012 (2:09 PM).
                                            uZzY94 uZzY94 is offline
                                               
                                              Join Date: Aug 2012
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Posts: 3
                                              Hey,

                                              I played the Beta 3 and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the best Rom Hacks ever!

                                              I am also going to make a Let's play of this game if you want (It will be commented in english, of course giving links like this thread and stuff :D, maybe even playing the game in 200% speed so the videos won't be too long).

                                              Also those "special" attacks to other pokemons which you gave them are amazing, I mean it's not abd to see a Tentacruel with Thunder, it's nice and more challenging!
                                              Reply With Quote
                                                #199    
                                              Old August 29th, 2012 (8:42 AM).
                                              miksy91's Avatar
                                              miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                                              Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Oct 2008
                                                Location: A small country in the North
                                                Gender: Male
                                                Nature: Relaxed
                                                Posts: 1,438
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
                                                I'm personally okay with battling against Pokemon that are one-of-a-kind and can do things they normally can't do. I mean, the player character gets a talking Eevee, and encounters other Pokemon through unique situations. So who's to say your character should be the only one allowed to have unique and interesting creatures? Other RPGs are like that too, where you'll sometimes encounter things that are out of the ordinary. Plus, it makes the game more surprising by throwing unexpected stuff your way, and I've been enjoying this element of the game.

                                                I say keep the Pokemon with the unique moves, so long as the Pokemon looks like it's capable of using those moves; it has made for an interesting challenge.
                                                Thanks, I will.
                                                There will be those who don't like it but good to hear some like that feature too.

                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by uZzY94 View Post
                                                Hey,

                                                I played the Beta 3 and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the best Rom Hacks ever!

                                                I am also going to make a Let's play of this game if you want (It will be commented in english, of course giving links like this thread and stuff :D, maybe even playing the game in 200% speed so the videos won't be too long).

                                                Also those "special" attacks to other pokemons which you gave them are amazing, I mean it's not abd to see a Tentacruel with Thunder, it's nice and more challenging!
                                                Thanks

                                                Feel free to start a let's play if you want. I don't really want you to do it but if you do, I may watch the videos and check what you've to say about it. About 200% speed, you know when to use and when not to (pointing to cutscenes here).

                                                I don't think it makes it more challenging because for instance, the only pokemon Tentacruel uses Thunder against are Flying and Water type I think. But it makes sense for it to know an electric move so that's why it does (which all other Tentacruels won't be able to do).


                                                Progress update!

                                                Progress has gone smoothly after Beta 3 ended and I've most of West-Suden already completed (two towns after Brightbulb City are already added). No screenshots today but I might actually provide the main post with "out of Beta 3" screenshots sometime soon.
                                                __________________
                                                My Rom Hack



                                                Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                                CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                                                Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                                                Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                                -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                                Reply With Quote
                                                  #200    
                                                Old August 29th, 2012 (3:50 PM).
                                                Blue Emerald's Avatar
                                                Blue Emerald Blue Emerald is offline
                                                One of life's great mysteries
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Aug 2012
                                                  Age: 27
                                                  Gender: Male
                                                  Nature: Naive
                                                  Posts: 82
                                                  I don't know if you've found this bug yet, but I haven't seen it mentioned here; figured I'd post it just in case. I noticed that the music in Highland Town resets when you enter and exit the Poké Mart.

                                                  Also, I gotta say the Highland Town gym has been pretty fun so far. XD Won't spoil how, though!
                                                  Reply With Quote
                                                  Reply

                                                  Quick Reply

                                                  Join the conversation!

                                                  Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                                  Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                                  Sponsored Links
                                                  Thread Tools

                                                  Posting Rules
                                                  You may not post new threads
                                                  You may not post replies
                                                  You may not post attachments
                                                  You may not edit your posts

                                                  BB code is On
                                                  Smilies are On
                                                  [IMG] code is On
                                                  HTML code is Off

                                                  Forum Jump


                                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:15 AM.