• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] [M] Persona: Memory's Edge

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I like that parallelism, and the concept of a character who's "hard to get"-- would really make interaction feel rewarding, and always in favor of his development.

Thanks! I wanted to create a character whose "antagonistic" actions were just the result of trying to build a barrier to keep others out. I guess this makes him a "misunderstood" character, huh? I'm interested to see how that will change in time, and perhaps lead to growth.

I can't really pick a favorite out of the SUs posted, as the others have said, we have quite a diverse cast here! I will say that I'm interested in Miki, especially with the choice of picture for her and the depart from usual Magician stereotypes.

And yeah I'd really like to know how the more gameplay-dependent mechanics like weapons and Persona weaknesses/resistances will work here too

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
When going against shadows will our personas be doing all of the fighting, or will our characters also have weapons of their own? And if characters are able to use weapons of their own, what would be the incentive to use Physical/Gun skills instead of their weapons or vice versa?

Do our character's personas have weaknesses/resistances?

How do you plan to make elemental resistances/weaknesses actually matter during combat? (because a knockdown 1 more likely doesn't translate well into this medium and playing them like pokemon seems slightly underwhelming)

Just to ease my anxiety, could you add Hunger/Lust and Jester to their respective places on the arcana list? I think Jester wouldn't cause much of a problem as long as the bonds between our characters isn't a major plot point, and even if it is, having a Jester eventually grow into a different arcana because of the bonds that they form with others seems like a really interesting way to make use of the reverse Fool. Meanwhile, Hunger/Lust is just a missed opportunity unless we're allowed to reverse our own arcana, but while potentially allowing for intresting character growth, that may end up more complicated than it's worth.

Ultimately this is roleplaying and not a videogame. I'd like you guys to have something you're strong and weak against, but I'm not putting in stats or forcing you to roleplay like it is a video game through all of it. If you're weak to something, have it hit you harder. If you're knocked down then the enemy gets an easy shot while you scramble to get back up.

Also the characters will be able to carry their own weapons if they want. Reasons to even use the Physical or Gun skills are the same as they are in the game; your persona is a mythical colossus, they will hit much harder than your average high schooler will. A knife slash from a 16 year old and the blow of a sword swing from a 10 foot being known for being absurdly strong will absolutely cause different amounts of damage.

And as for the Hunger/Jester, I did not include them because they've only occurred in one game and they were very negative Arcana. Not even negative in the same sense as the Tower and its connotations, negative as in the people they represent are not even good or decent people, they're down right villainous. I did not feel they fit the theme of being heroic.

(Drakath)

The Champion of Chaos
Years
I don't think the Arcana needs to transform, especially when the transformation is already anticipated; it becomes about the destination, not the journey the character goes through, which is what make a character interesting at all.

Of course. The journey would be the entire point of the character while the transformation would just be a likely outcome due to its nature. It just seems that with the way the bonds would affect them makes the change inevitable once enough solidify. Otherwise it seems pointless, for a character designed around growing out of their incompatibility with others and becoming someone unique rather than continue fading away into a sea people, to end up almost exactly where they started. I think that a Jester staying a Jester denies true character growth in the context of persona and perhaps only allows for the opposite to take place. This could be because the Jester is the opposite of the Fool and, by extension, the entire message of persona. However, you are correct in that the arcana is more a reflection of the character rather than their entire personality. One thing that I do wonder about though, is whether their persona or just the motivation behind it would change with their arcana.

All of this makes me realize that I'd much rather be using this hypothetical character... Although the risk of death by joint post increases substantially with the way their development is envisioned.

And thank you, I don't have much to show yet, but if Miki's already intriguing you by presentation alone, that can only be a good thing! The pic probably helps. (Her character and persona are literally defined by that picture, I love it.)

I think it's more the fact that Miki won't be like most Magicians that I find her appealing. (I like my tropes played with.) Curse and Healing is combination that I would've never expect to see, which only makes her more interesting to anticipate. I also think that picture sets an amazing tone for the character, and it certainly helps.

Last edited:

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Skystrike said:
Thanks! I wanted to create a character whose "antagonistic" actions were just the result of trying to build a barrier to keep others out. I guess this makes him a "misunderstood" character, huh? I'm interested to see how that will change in time, and perhaps lead to growth.
Always good to have a foundation character traits stem from, negative or positive.

I've always found it hard to pick favorites before characters are presented IC, too. It's all about portrayal!
(Drakath) said:
Of course. The journey would be the entire point of the character while the transformation would just be a likely outcome due to its nature. It just seems that with the way the bonds would affect them makes the change inevitable once enough solidify. Otherwise it seems pointless, for a character designed around growing out of their incompatibility with others and becoming someone unique rather than continue fading away into a sea people, to end up almost exactly where they started.
It's always difficult deducing how a character'll end up within an evolving dynamic. I'd encourage focusing on the strength of your character pre-development over his journey, because there are so many factors that play into how a character is ultimately written. I learned the hard way before, anticipating my character would fulfill one role within the cast, that being a conniving sycophant, something of a mastermind. But she lost all of her subtlety by the second post when her efforts to sway her boss were ignored and she basically threw a tantrum because I couldn't think of how else she'd handle it-- I hadn't thought that far ahead. From that point on, while she attempted to sabotage her coworkers, my character had developed into this desperate, jealous brat who really wasn't taken as seriously as I had first wanted her to be. So ultimately I wasn't really happy with my character as a whole because my fulfillment depended on her development, and that's something that can't be predicted in a roleplay.

Really, there are a lot of factors that would determine whether a character becomes indistinguishable within a cast -- "fading away in a sea of characters" -- particularly in a roleplay that isn't an open sandbox. In the context of a Persona RP, it wouldn't be due to their arcana, like how characters from the series itself aren't memorable because of their arcana alone.
I can't really pick a favorite out of the SUs posted, as the others have said, we have quite a diverse cast here! I will say that I'm interested in Miki, especially with the choice of picture for her and the depart from usual Magician stereotypes.

I think it's more the fact that Miki won't be like most Magicians that I find her appealing. (I like my tropes played with.) Curse and Healing is combination that I would've never expect to see, which only makes her more interesting to anticipate. I also think that picture sets an amazing tone for the character, and it certainly helps.
See, now I gotta live up to all this interest surrounding Miki, lol. Definitely makes me want to develop her sooner, so I guess I'll aim towards getting some bigger edits in tonight.

(Drakath)

The Champion of Chaos
Years
Ultimately this is roleplaying and not a videogame. I'd like you guys to have something you're strong and weak against, but I'm not putting in stats or forcing you to roleplay like it is a video game through all of it. If you're weak to something, have it hit you harder. If you're knocked down then the enemy gets an easy shot while you scramble to get back up.

That's understandable, though I feel like without a section in the SU for resistances and weaknesses our personas would fail to be treated as if they have any.

Also the characters will be able to carry their own weapons if they want. Reasons to even use the Physical or Gun skills are the same as they are in the game; your persona is a mythical colossus, they will hit much harder than your average high schooler will. A knife slash from a 16 year old and the blow of a sword swing from a 10 foot being known for being absurdly strong will absolutely cause different amounts of damage.

Given that information, is using a persona still physically and/or mentally tiring? If it happens to also be physically tiring then wouldn't it eventually defeat the purpose of bringing weapons?

And as for the Hunger/Jester, I did not include them because they've only occurred in one game and they were very negative Arcana. Not even negative in the same sense as the Tower and its connotations, negative as in the people they represent are not even good or decent people, they're down right villainous. I did not feel they fit the theme of being heroic.

I do agree with you in that Hunger/Lust would be very difficult to twist into not being villainous at its core and with your reasoning, I won't fight for it. However...

I believe that Jester is simply an undesirable state that is susceptible to change. It isn't downright evil on its own and only becomes that way if it is left to fester in misery. I think the one who represented it gives it that possibly inescapable reputation as a result of it mostly being a masquerade for their true nature rather than the reverse of the Fool. I think that, given a character with the desire to grow out of it, or people to help them do so, Jester would make for an interesting type of character development.

Considering that this likely hasn't changed your opinion, could you at least put them into the list of unusable arcana.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
That's understandable, though I feel like without a section in the SU for resistances and weaknesses our personas would fail to be treated as if they have any.

Simply put. I didn't put it in the SU because I am not forcing it on anyone. It is ultimately what I feel is an unnecessary addition. Considering we are not running stats nor HP, adding in your own weakness is purely flavor. As I had said before, if you wish to include it, then by all accounts feel free to; I know I'm treating Uncta as if she was weak to Ice and Curse. But the topic of gamification pops up fairly often, as well my own opinions on the role of the GM. While I do stand in favor of some gamification, emulating games one-to-one isn't necessary here.

It leans heavily on my own thoughts on GMing here. Having a forced negative can lead to incentive to cheese around that forced negative. I've been in RPs elsewhere that, in the case of Pokemon, getting around a forced weakness is done by simply typing "He dodges". Having a forced negative also means enforcement of that negative. While I doubt anyone here would try to cheese their way around it (this forum is much better about it than others), I still wouldn't want to have to prowl around people's post like "sorry, you've dodged a little too much there" or "you wrote you got hit with a fire attack, but you weren't as damaged by it as you should be". It's likely an overreaction from me, but the simple side of the philosophy is "more rules = more policing".

Given that information, is using a persona still physically and/or mentally tiring? If it happens to also be physically tiring then wouldn't it eventually defeat the purpose of bringing weapons?

Given the games still block you from doing activities after exploring a dungeon, I'm sticking with "Yes, they are still tiring just as all fighting is". It's not quite to the exhaustion/sickness levels of P3, but the idea still stands.

Now why would you want to still fight with a normal weapon? Same reason you would in game. Using a weapon and fighting in person is tiring, but nowhere near as tiring as using a Persona. If we correlate HP to physical exhaustion and SP to mental exhaustion, using a weapon is such a minuscule amount of effort compared to a Persona that it costs next to nothing. Meanwhile using a spell is mentally exhausting (SP loss) and and ordering your persona to do a physical attack causes a large amount of physical exhaustion (taking off a large chunk of HP).

Of course, we can assume this is all effecting by you being in the Collective Unconscious. This is Persona, drinking a soda will give you more mental focus for doing more spells. The real danger is reaching the point of collapse inside a place where everything wants to kill you. But so long as you don't reach that point, you can just eat some bread, have a few sodas, maybe drink some medicine and then you'll be as ready to fight as the first step into the Other World. Things are entirely based on how society perceives it, it is the Collective Unconscious. Why would you even bother fighting with a knife when you have a 10 foot murder god behind you? Society thinks knives are dangerous, so enough cuts and it will kill just like your Persona.

And ultimately we go back to the core of it, I want people to have options. Maybe you want a backup weapon? Your persona isn't as helpful when the thing has you pinned against the wall. Maybe you want to play a rebellious girl with a sledgehammer who lights monsters on fire with a Native-American spider god? Options are fun.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I was looking to start deciding this weekend, to give the people with WIP applications time to finish (some people have mentioned it over this discord that they have WIP ones too). I unfortunately have a wedding Saturday, but I might be able to start that night.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
What's unfortunate about a wedding, fam? Have some fun!

I'll chip away at Miki... or I won't, aha! Depends what I feel like prioritizing in the midst of a crazy week.

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Just throwing this garbage here just to show that I'm interested in joining. It's not a whole lot right now since I kinda just started, but I should be able to get the rest finished today. Though I don't know if I already missed the deadline.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Okay, time to actually accept people. No fancy CSS, because I'm lazy.

L'Belle's Rodger Herberts

Magnificent Magilou's Claire Auron

Star Arcana's Misty Washington

Skystrike's Joshua Rivers

Ozymandias' Benjamin Paige

Orbital Pudding's Estelle Beatriz Santiago

Junier's Toru Miki

Fen's Aiko Winchester-Inoue

and Ech's Tory Lauren

Have all been accepted.

----------------------

Some quick notes: Just in case you aren't on it, this RP has a channel on the RPT discord server. Largely this is just memes, but I do check there multiple times a day. If you have a super important question, that might be the best place to reach me at since pings go directly to my phone, and doesn't require me to log into PC.

I said 8 at first, but I think there are too many good characters. What's 10 compared to 8?

When is the IC going up? Pretty much as soon as this is posted. I already have it written up, I just need to click to post it and have it approved.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
While we do the initial posts, let's talk education. Persona has it's fair share of odd ball, eccentric, and just plain weird teachers. From the one who can't stop idealizing his favorite historical era, the one who just wants to gossip, and the hopeless one who tries to teach high-schoolers with a puppet.

Got any good ideas for a teacher? I'd love to incorporate your ideas.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
While we do the initial posts, let's talk education. Persona has it's fair share of odd ball, eccentric, and just plain weird teachers. From the one who can't stop idealizing his favorite historical era, the one who just wants to gossip, and the hopeless one who tries to teach high-schoolers with a puppet.

Got any good ideas for a teacher? I'd love to incorporate your ideas.

The high school educator/staff member that acts like their teaching/working with little kids is always interesting.

Also, apologies for my lack of posting, it was a crazy week at work (and a bit at home too). I do plan on having something done real soon though :3

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
I've had my fair share of interesting teachers, especially in uni. Had one whose passion lies in what they taught, randomly yelling ELECTRONS whenever it came up to show his excitement in the topic. Not to mention the bad jokes and puns. "They then bond together like so, zzzzzzzing. Yes, they make that sound."

Had one math teacher who was once in a band and demonstrated a very laidback and lethargic attitude to... everything. Let the students do what they wanted as long as they stayed quiet and finished an easy worksheet. Loved to talk about his band and guitars.

Last edited:

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Welcome to the first dungeon! It's not all going to be cleared yet, so just work your way towards the center to actually find out what the heck is going on here.

For anyone not familiar with how Personas come into being, the answer is that it varies. Typically we see that the first summoning is at the very least distressing, if not painful. The protagonist of 3 appeared very hesitant to summon his. The protag of 4 seemed like he was overheating, having to unbutton his jacket and loosen his collar as well as breathing heavily. The entire party in 5 seems to be in physical pain during the summoning: screaming, clutching their head, and having to rip off their mask which appears to leave blood behind.

For our sakes, it's somewhat painful. Your character's head likely feels like it's going to split in two during the summoning, although it leaves no physical marks.

Personas also tend to speak with their host for one of the only times during the initial summoning. For example, Arsene, the initial Persona of 5, says this to the protagonist:

"What's the matter...? Are you simply going to watch? Are you forsaking him to save yourself? Death awaits him if you do nothing. Was your previous decision a mistake then? Very well...I have heeded your resolve. Vow to me. I am thou, thou art I...Thou who art willing to perform all sacrilegious acts for thine own justice! Call upon my name, and release thy rage! Show the strength of thy will to ascertain all on thine own, though thou be chained to Hell itself!"

------

As for the scale of enemies, I'm working off the magic scale within the games to gauge difficulty.

Minuscule - This enemy only poses a threat in large swarms.

Tiny - This enemy is easily defeatable. You should only be concerned about large groups.

Low - This enemy is easily defeatable by you, although more than two at once might be an issue.

Average/Medium - This enemy can be beat in one-on-one fights. Roughly equal to yours.

High - This enemy is tough to beat alone, but overtly so. Be care of it in a group.

Massive - This enemy can pretty easily defeat you. Be wary of being caught in its sights.

Colossal - This enemy will wipe the floor with you.

Back