• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3DS or 3DS XL??

Which one ? 3DS or 3Ds XL?

• 3DS

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • 3DS XL

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm thinking this work here.

Since Pokemon X and Y have been announced for 3DS, that means I have to buy a 3DS now.I really want these games cause they look really promising and there's other 3DS titles that look fun. However, I don't know which one to get. A 3DS or a 3DS XL. So I figured I'd ask you guys to help me out. Which one do you prefer/ think is better? A 3DS or a 3DS XL? And which one do you think I should buy? A normal 3DS or a 3DS XL??

Kind of was curious as to which one people liked more and also wanted to know which one I should to buy for these upcoming games.

Last edited:

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I have a normal 3DS (LoZ 25th anniversary version) & find the screen size to be absolutely fine.
When 3D is enabled, quite a few people have issues finding a perfect position to maximize the 3D itself, without hurting their own eyes.

I have not ever used, or owned a 3DS XL, so I cannot say anything positive or negative about it.
In regards to the classic however; if you find it on-sale, than picking it up is a fine idea.
It does its job, & I'd say it does it well.

razzbat

dancer
Years
the 3ds xl technically is far superior to the original
>better 3d, less ghosting
>corners are curved so its alot more comfortable to hold, people can get hand cramps from the origina
>longer battery life
>this is a problem which I had with the original which quite a few others did was that unless you use screen protectors the edges of the bottom screen can leave scratch marks on the top screen. Apparently this issue is less frequent with the xl
also while some people complain about the size of the xl, it isn't actually that much bigger, while the screens are

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I have the 3DS XL. its alot bigger for starters (obviously) and it was only like 30 bucks more expensive, and well worth it

droomph

weeb
Years
Go with whatever you want to. I personally just got a 3DS, I think it's fine. Bigger? Meh. If you find (in like Gamestop, for example) that the screen is too small for your preference, go ahead. I guess you should at least try the 3DS XL, but otherwise I recommend whichever one you want to spend the money for.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
For me, the XL is a lot more comfortable, but I have pretty big hands. I have a regular 3DS and it gets kind of cramped sometimes, especially when playing games like Kid Icarus Uprising. Apparently the "sweet spot" for the 3D effect is bigger on the XL too and you don't have to be so precise in how you hold it. The battery life increase is pretty insignificant though.

If I were just getting a 3DS now I'd get an XL, but I really can't justify upgrading when it does the same thing as the 3DS I have now, only bigger.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'm not a rich guy, so I'm probably gonna go with the 3DS but the battery life of the 3DS XL is better than the 3DS but it's also bigger, I don't think I really need a bigger screen. Altought it performs better..
I'll just have to see what I'm going to end up with in the future. Really depends with my budget by the time.

Years
Personally, I'd go with the XL. Since I play game devices with big screens all the time (PC, PS VITA) I'd [almost] always pick the device with the bigger screen, even if it's not the most pocket friendly.

Plus, from all of the reviews I've been reading, the 3D effect on the XL doesn't dissapear as easily as it does on the original 3DS when you tilt the device and all that. The XL also has better curves (smoother corners) so it won't dig into your hands as much as the original. And it's also better if you have big hands like me.

But that's just my opinion. There's always gonna be someone out there who would think otherwise :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I carry my XL around with me, as well as my DSiXL. It's not too much of a hassle, really, not as much as, say, a PSP or Vita. I do recommend the XL, though. Some may say it's "just bigger"...and yeah, it is. That's why it's so great. Sure, there's increased battery life, but games like Kid Icarus and Resident Evil: Revelations are so much more engrossing with the larger screen. I've been using XL systems for 3 years now, and I definitely haven't regretted the purchase. I heavily recommend it, especially if it's your first 3DS.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I recently got a 3DS XL and it is so much sweeter than a regular 3DS. It feels so good in my hands and the screens are simply amazing. The battery life is always a plus, but to be honest it needs that to power those monster screens. The size is nice... it's about a half centimeter smaller than the DSi XL, which I used to have. DS and 3DS games look quite good on the 3DS, much better than the DSi XL by far.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
3ds xl.I am planning to buy one for these games and the possible ruby/saphire remake.
Also i heard it is far superior from its predecessor in terms of quality and sturdiness.
You can also wait for its price to drop or for a bundle such as the fire emblem bundle for the 3ds.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Given that you are a 20yo male according to your postbit, I would have to recommend the 3DSXL due to its larger size being more comfortable for adult hands.

Years
It's all down to personal preference really; if you think the current DS' are quite small for you, just get the XL. Then again, a bigger screen would make it harder to see everything that's going on albeit not a huge difference between the screens. There isn't really much reasons as to why the 3DS would be better than the XL, just that it's smaller. But then again, that's still down to the user's preference.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I have the launch 3DS, but I want an XL. My hands are big, and they cramp up with the regular 3DS.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I'd choose XL for the size, but it's also more expensive. Europe, especially my country, can be a ***** with prices. Heck, it costs around 300$ here. The cheapest I could find was a used one for 140$ (not XL). The chepaest XL I found was 240$. Worst thing is that the prices won't fall here, since the regular DS is as expensive. I'm dying for an XL, but I might end up buying the cheaper regular one. Seeing the Fire Emblem bundled one for 200$ pisses me off haha.

Back