• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using Eviolite Chansey?

Pinta77

I've been using Chansey with eviolite for some casual battles against my friends at work. It's been working pretty well, and i'm wondering if this is a decent strategy or if my friend just sucks? I found a few websites that said Chansey is a good wall, better than Blissey even. Anyone think this is a good idea, and/or would it work in a competitive enviornment?

Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Eviolite
Moveset: Icebeam, Hyper Beam, Heal Pulse, Soft-Boiled

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Eviolite Chansey makes for a very good (special) wall due to its massive bulk (huge HP stat+Eviolite boost) and the fact that there's only one type it's weak to (and given Fairies and Talonflame are hella common it's less of an issue), as well as having a decent support movepool. It's not uncommon to see it on stall teams.

The issue with your particular set though is that Hyper Beam is just a straight up bad move in competitive play, and Chansey's Sp.Attk, even with full investment (which wastes away its walling abilities), makes most attacks moves not worth it on it. Usually they go with Seismic Toss for better and more consistent damage in exchange for being unable to do anything against Ghosts. Usually people like to run Heal Bell or Aromatherapy on it, sometimes Thunder Wave.

Heal Pulse only has use in doubles, btw.

Years
Eviolite Chansey makes for a very good (special) wall due to its massive bulk (huge HP stat+Eviolite boost) and the fact that there's only one type it's weak to (and given Fairies and Talonflame are hella common it's less of an issue), as well as having a decent support movepool. It's not uncommon to see it on stall teams.

The issue with your particular set though is that Hyper Beam is just a straight up bad move in competitive play, and Chansey's Sp.Attk, even with full investment (which wastes away its walling abilities), makes most attacks moves not worth it on it. Usually they go with Seismic Toss for better and more consistent damage in exchange for being unable to do anything against Ghosts. Usually people like to run Heal Bell or Aromatherapy on it, sometimes Thunder Wave.

Heal Pulse only has use in doubles, btw.

Fully agreed. Eviolite Chansey is a better stall than Leftovers Blissey, due to the sheer defensive stats gained from the Eviolite.

I actually like running both Seismic Toss and one of Ice Beam or Fire Blast in order to avoid the Ghost inadequacy.

My typical moveset: Soft-boiled, Ice Beam/Fire Blast, Seismic Toss, Thunder Wave/Toxic.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Fully agreed. Eviolite Chansey is a better stall than Leftovers Blissey, due to the sheer defensive stats gained from the Eviolite.

I actually like running both Seismic Toss and one of Ice Beam or Fire Blast in order to avoid the Ghost inadequacy.

My typical moveset: Soft-boiled, Ice Beam/Fire Blast, Seismic Toss, Thunder Wave/Toxic.

I disagree with running any offensive move besides Seismic Toss on Chansey. Yes, it gets walled by Ghosts, but Chansey's Special Attack is so bad that its coverage options don't even 2HKO 4x weak targets:

0 SpA Chansey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 136-160 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (meanwhile, Garchomp has an opportunity to set up Swords Dance and beat Chansey)

0 SpA Chansey Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 120-144 (34.9 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HK

0 SpA Chansey Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 136-160 (32.6 - 38.3%) -- 95.2% chance to 3HKO

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Chansey has no business running attacking moves besides Seismic Toss. If you want the support that Chansey brings but absolutely want to run an attacking move to punish things like Garchomp or Ferrothorn then you can run Blissey and forgo running a support move like Stealth Rock or Heal Bell in exchange for either Ice Beam or Fire Blast. But Clefable and even Porygon2 do this so much better than Blissey or Chansey could ever hope to. Honestly I would stick to a set of Seismic Toss, Thunder Wave/Toxic, Wish/Soft-Boiled and either Stealth Rock or Heal Bell, depending on what your team needs most. If something switches in that will overwhelm Blissey/Chansey without a secondary attacking move, then you should plan around that with your other team members.

Pinta77

Right... I love double battles, so that's why I picked it. Perhaps I could have a separate chansey for single battles. Also, from what everyone is saying, it sounds like I will definitely at very least switch hyper beam for seismic toss

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2016
I agree with everyone else. You're running a really poor moveset there because of Chansey's non-existent SpAtk. You're right to think that Chansey is generally a better choice than Blissey though, largely because of Eviolite.

You need to run a set like this to make the best of Chansey in competitive play:

Hillary Clinton (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Some will prefer Softboiled to Wish because it's better for stalling with - but Chansey's stellar defence usually means she can take a hit or two, meaning Wish is still effective at replenishing her HP and offers the option of potentially replenishing another Pokemon on your team's HP. Chansey also restores more HP with Wish than other Pokemon like Clefable do, I believe.

Back