• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Any advice on who I should use for ground or fighting monotypes in platinum? Bold ones are the ones I want to use, but not sure of any others.

Potential Ground types: Torterra, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowden, Ryhperior, Steelix

Potential Fighting types: Infernape, Medicham, Machamp, Toxicroak, Gallade, Heracross (prolly have to be hacked in (at the appropriate moment) as the Honey Tree rate is really low)

Years
Any advice on who I should use for ground or fighting monotypes in platinum? Bold ones are the ones I want to use, but not sure of any others.

Potential Ground types: Torterra, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowden, Ryhperior, Steelix

Potential Fighting types: Infernape, Medicham, Machamp, Toxicroak, Gallade, Heracross (prolly have to be hacked in (at the appropriate moment) as the Honey Tree rate is really low)

If you have access to Rhyperior, use it. It's power is nothing to laugh at, and I'd reccomend Hippowdon as well, it's a great tank.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
If you have access to Rhyperior, use it. It's power is nothing to laugh at, and I'd recommend Hippowdon as well, it's a great tank.
Ah, sorry, I forgot that Rhyhorn is not available till postgame.

I was thinking about Hippowden mostly for its Sand Stream ability, but it can be a pain to train, especially with 4 others vying for experience (I really want to use Gliscor as well). I really hate grinding a lot at the end, so I normally keep the party number to four at the most. Tentatively my team is Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp and Gliscor, and Hippowden would be a later addition if I chose to use him.

As for fighting, I am going with Infernape, Gallade, and Medicham for sure, but the forth member (if any) is up for grabs.

Thoughts?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Actually, you can get Rhyhorn on Route 214 in Platinum.
Oh, right. Well, I try to stay away from rock/ground combos, though, they aren't worth the trouble, especially when there are much better combinations out there. Rhyperior is also slow, which compounds the problem. If I was doing a Rock mono I might seriously consider him, though.

Any advice about Fighting? Ground is covered, thanks guys.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Ah, sorry, I forgot that Rhyhorn is not available till postgame.

I was thinking about Hippowden mostly for its Sand Stream ability, but it can be a pain to train, especially with 4 others vying for experience (I really want to use Gliscor as well). I really hate grinding a lot at the end, so I normally keep the party number to four at the most. Tentatively my team is Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp and Gliscor, and Hippowden would be a later addition if I chose to use him.

As for fighting, I am going with Infernape, Gallade, and Medicham for sure, but the forth member (if any) is up for grabs.

Thoughts?
I used a Rhyperior for a Challenge, but I was able to trade in an egg, and mine knew EQ, and TFI fangs. It was pretty nice.

If you're like me, and fancy hard hitting moves and OHKOing your opponents, possible movesets would be something like:
Torterra: Razor Leaf/Wood Hammer, EQ, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Crunch
Gastrodon: Muddy Water/Surf, EQ/Mud Bomb, Ice Beam, Body Slam/whatever
Garchomp: Fire Fang, Dragon Rush/Claw, Iron Tail/Dig/Shadow Claw
Gliscor: Thunder Fang, X Scissor, Aerial Ace, Brick Break

That's 14 out of 17 of the types (15 if you take Shadow Claw over Dig) and the only excluded types are Poison and Psychic. I wouldn't worry about a Hippowdon when you have this kind of coverage...

As for Fighting, I'd have something like:
Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, Earthquake, Rock Slide
Gallade: Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Close Combat
Medicham: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball, Psychic

Maybe have a Lucario in there? If not, maybe teach someone Iron Tail?

Hope this helps.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I used a Rhyperior for a Challenge, but I was able to trade in an egg, and mine knew EQ, and TFI fangs. It was pretty nice.

If you're like me, and fancy hard hitting moves and OHKOing your opponents, possible movesets would be something like:
Torterra: Razor Leaf/Wood Hammer, EQ, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Crunch
Gastrodon: Muddy Water/Surf, EQ/Mud Bomb, Ice Beam, Body Slam/whatever
Garchomp: Fire Fang, Dragon Rush/Claw, Iron Tail/Dig/Shadow Claw
Gliscor: Thunder Fang, X Scissor, Aerial Ace, Brick Break

That's 14 out of 17 of the types (15 if you take Shadow Claw over Dig) and the only excluded types are Poison and Psychic. I wouldn't worry about a Hippowdon when you have this kind of coverage...

As for Fighting, I'd have something like:
Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, Earthquake, Rock Slide
Gallade: Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Close Combat
Medicham: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball, Psychic

Maybe have a Lucario in there? If not, maybe teach someone Iron Tail?

Hope this helps.
Yeah, I taught EQ to Gabite, and will go with Mud Bomb on Gastrodon and Dig on Gliscor. Ghost is not something I usually teach unless it's a STAB move. Swords Dance is also something to consider for Garchomp and Gliscor - Torterra is not fast enough for it.

As for fighting, I think I'm gonna go with those three for now. The only other real option is Lucario, as I am scared off Toxicroak with his 4x weakness to Psychic, but he comes so late in the game it's almost not worth training him, and can't benefit from Iron Island double battles either. I may use Toxicroak as he has access to Nasty Plot and Vacuum Wave, but even a Ground weakness is bad in Sinnoh. By the way, I am a BIG fan of Swords Dance, so I will use that on Gallade and Medicham probably. Gallade doesn't really need Close Combat anyway on a fighting team, and Shadow Ball is wasted on Medicham that late in the game, especially with his crappy SpA. Psychic or Zen Headbutt will be in the last slot.

Oh, and I thought of another reason to use Platinum - WAY MORE HEART SCALES!

Years

2 words. elemental punches.

Infernape, Machamp and Lucario worked well for me, but it felt like there was something missing. Lucian was a PAIN.

and yes, gotta love the abundance of heart scales and shards, making the move tutors actually usable.

Edit: Oh, and before i forget. For your ground platinum, a bit of advice. When i did it, i taught my gastrodon toxic. for wake, and cynthia's milotic, i had to toxic wall them

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
medicham and gallade? can i ask why both?
Gallade and Medicham have very different movesets, and Medicham has the Punches without needing shards. Besides, I want then both. lol.

In Platinum, I usually am good with 5 members (as long as they aren't too exp needy) in terms of high enough levels. Plus I always use all my Rare Candies at the end too. Anyway, Machamp was added to the mix, so I should be fine against ghosts, which would be a semi big problem otherwise. Now my only weakness across the board is flying, and Rock/Electric moves takes care of those usually, although I have a feeling that Cyrus' Crobat may be a pain.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
3 gyms down on my Bug Monotype.

Also congrats on becoming a veteran Syd!

I can technically apply to be a veteran tomorrow since I joined on leap year

Really want to do a Challenge on a first gen. game next...I guess that means I'll be probably taking a short break on my solo challenge to begin my Dual Type Ultimate.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Oh, right. Well, I try to stay away from rock/ground combos, though, they aren't worth the trouble, especially when there are much better combinations out there. Rhyperior is also slow, which compounds the problem. If I was doing a Rock mono I might seriously consider him, though.

Rhyperior is a god might I say, and how do say that Rhyperior is slow hen you have

A) A Gastrodon, who has Base 39 Speed while Rhyperior has Base 40.

B) Quick Claw, which is Rhyperior's favorite item In-Game.

Besides most people, i have experience with Rhyperior in Platinum, because I did do a Nuzlocke on it (Like anyone reads my updates, pfffh) Rhyperior is an absolute Tank with Solid Rock. Can hit extremely hard, and can be a good HM Slave (I had no room for Surf on my Platinum Nuzlocke since my GARYdos was a DD Waterfall Sweeper, so I used Surf on Rhyperior, sure waste of a moveslot but Rhyperior isn't going to get better coverage)

I recomend this moveset if you decided on using it:

Earthquake, Hammer Arm, Stone Edge and Megahorn

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Whats the best strategy for Electric on Sapphire, and Ice on GSC?
Although I haven't done either of these, here is what I would advise:

Sapp electric: Wow, there really aren't any strong Electric types in the generation. First had Electabuzz, and second had Ampharos, but they're both out for this one... I guess your main party member would be a Lanturn or something, since it can learn Ice Beam, Surf, and an Electric Attack. Maybe a Magneton to stall with, but you'll have to watch out for Fighting and Ground attacks. Manetric can be pretty good too.

Ice GSC: Since you get to hack one in, I'd probably go with a Swinub. He gives you some nice Ground/Ice Type action. You'll also want Dewgong and Jynx, maybe Delibird.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Although I haven't done either of these, here is what I would advise:

Sapp electric: Wow, there really aren't any strong Electric types in the generation. First had Electabuzz, and second had Ampharos, but they're both out for this one... I guess your main party member would be a Lanturn or something, since it can learn Ice Beam, Surf, and an Electric Attack. Maybe a Magneton to stall with, but you'll have to watch out for Fighting and Ground attacks. Manetric can be pretty good too.

Ice GSC: Since you get to hack one in, I'd probably go with a Swinub. He gives you some nice Ground/Ice Type action. You'll also want Dewgong and Jynx, maybe Delibird.
Delibird? Hell no. Jynx, LAPRAS (how do you forget about him?!?) and swinub early I guess, since Sneasel has really ****** SpA. As for Electric, man it sucks. Manectric can't learn Flamethrower in Gen III (he can in Gen IV, lame) no Electric types can learn Earthquake either. Looks like a Solo run with Manectric until New Mauville, and Chinchou is Underwater...I don't suppose I can hack in someone early...?

Maybe I should play Emerald so I don't have to deal with Steven's Earthquakes...

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Delibird? Hell no. Jynx, LAPRAS (how do you forget about him?!?) and swinub early I guess, since Sneasel has really ****** SpA. As for Electric, man it sucks. Manectric can't learn Flamethrower in Gen III (he can in Gen IV, lame) no Electric types can learn Earthquake either. Looks like a Solo run with Manectric until New Mauville, and Chinchou is Underwater...I don't suppose I can hack in someone early...?

Maybe I should play Emerald so I don't have to deal with Steven's Earthquakes...
I excluded Lapras due to how much GSC TMs suck. There's no Thunderbolt, no Ice Beam, and Psychic isn't until after the E4. You're stuck with stupid powder snow. Delibird was just so you could have someone fly for you. Flying might be a useful type. Idk.

As for Electric, personally I wouldn't worry about Steven. If you could hack in like a Chinchou, by Steven your Lanturn will be ridiculously high, and could fo sho one shot Aggron and probably Claydol. But I guess that also means that anyone could one shot Wallace - Whiscash, so you're probably right. Personally, I think the rule should be you can hack in if you can't obtain a Pokemon before the first gym, since that's a major event in the story that you're gonna miss. I'd allow it, but if its an ulti, you'd have to talk to Alakazam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back