• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Good Electric Pokemon?

PokeRed128

GBA all da way
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
Ok so...first of all here is my planned team ON POKEMON FIRE RED:

Blastoise (Owned)
Alakazam (Owned)
Growlithe (Owned)
Pidgeot (Owned)
Jolteon (Not Owned Yet)
??? (I need suggestion)

EDIT : Maybe Rhyhorn

BTW,yes I can do trades to evolve certain pokemon.

Last edited:

PokeRed128

GBA all da way
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
Ive been planning to have a jolteon on my team.BTW here is my current team ON FIRERED.

Blastoise
Alakazam
Pidgeot
Growlithe
Paras (HM Slave)

So anyone suggest any other electric pokemon besides jolteon?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
oh hey I'm gonna merge this thread with your other one since it's for the same game and playthrough and stuff

jsyk

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
If you're looking for a good Electric Type that isn't Jolteon, then you really have just four other options.

Option#1: Raichu. Pikachu is available relatively early and hence could have been an asset against Misty and all those Flying Types for the entire run. Raichu is also fast and has decent offensive stats, regardless if they're Physical or Special.

Option#2: Electabuzz. Exclusive to Red Version, it's available via the Power Plant.

Option#3: Magneton. Slow but extremely strong Electric Type that has Steel Typing. Due to the Typing, Magneton does extremely well against Lorelei

Option#4: Electrode. Fast as heck but not much else going for it in my opinion.

Could also use Zapdos but that is kind of low bearing fruit as I see it. Of those I'd use Raichu or Magneton.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
The speed crit mechanic is non-existent in Gen III, so Jolteon isn't quite as viable as it once was.

As CodeHelmet pointed out, each Pokémon have their own uses.

My personal recommendation is Raichu, since Pikachu can learn Thunderbolt relatively early at Level 26. It would save you thousands of PokéDollars, which you'll want to save for purchasing loads of Hyper Potions and Revives. It can even learn Brick Break, which the TM for it can be obtained at both the SS Anne and the Celadon Mart.

Electabuzz is quite versatile offensively, though Fire Punch and Ice Punch are exclusive to Emerald's Move Tutors (which are costly, FYI.). It can be taught Psychic and Brick Break by TMs.

PokeRed128

GBA all da way
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
The speed crit mechanic is non-existent in Gen III, so Jolteon isn't quite as viable as it once was.

As CodeHelmet pointed out, each Pokémon have their own uses.

My personal recommendation is Raichu, since Pikachu can learn Thunderbolt relatively early at Level 26. It would save you thousands of PokéDollars, which you'll want to save for purchasing loads of Hyper Potions and Revives. It can even learn Brick Break, which the TM for it can be obtained at both the SS Anne and the Celadon Mart.

Electabuzz is quite versatile offensively, though Fire Punch and Ice Punch are exclusive to Emerald's Move Tutors (which are costly, FYI.). It can be taught Psychic and Brick Break by TMs.

Okay,firstly I know that pikachu needs lvl 50-60 to reach its full potential.But my main problem is that I dont know if pikachu has bad defense or not.If yes,will raichu have enaugh defense TO NOT become squishy? BTW I heard ThunderBolt TM is in the power plant

Last edited:

PokeRed128

GBA all da way
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
Pikachu found in power plant moveset

Okay MAYBE I will get a pikachu in the power plant later,but I really worried that the moveset of the pikachus are bad.So if any1 with incredible pkmn knowledge pls share thx.

Based on Bulbapedia,the pikachus apoear at level 22,24,26.

Last edited:

PokeRed128

GBA all da way
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 6, 2018
Raichu or Jolteon?

BTW : Please don't merge this thread,because it will make this less noticeable.I need this.

So someone pointed out in one of my threads that jolteon isnt as good in gen 3 cuz of no more speed crit.So raichu or jolteon??? Im still confused I need desperate help.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
BTW : Please don't merge this thread,because it will make this less noticeable.I need this.

So someone pointed out in one of my threads that jolteon isnt as good in gen 3 cuz of no more speed crit.So raichu or jolteon??? Im still confused I need desperate help.
I'm sorry but I've merged the threads anyway. There's so reason for you to have separate threads on what is essentially the same topic, and I don't think that you'll have to worry about things being not noticeable enough.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Okay,firstly I know that pikachu needs lvl 50-60 to reach its full potential.But my main problem is that I dont know if pikachu has bad defense or not.If yes,will raichu have enaugh defense TO NOT become squishy? BTW I heard ThunderBolt TM is in the power plant

Both Pikachu and Raichu are rather frail, particularly on the physical defense, so bear that in mind. Raichu can also learn Strength, Flash, and Rock Smash by HM if you want extra options to clear obstacles while giving some of your team good coverage.

Most Electric-types in Kanto, bar Zapdos and Magneton, are not exactly the bulkiest Pokémon out there anyways, but at the end of the day, it is entirely up to you on what Electric Pokémon floats your boat.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Raichu is frail when it comes to Physical attacks, hence opponents that have strong attack stats, particularly Ground Types, should be avoided at all cost. Pikachu learns Thunderbolt at level 26, which is the earliest of all Electric Types and learns Thunder and Light Screen at 41 and 50 respectively. If you don't plan to have those moves, you can evolve Pikachu not long after it learns Thunderbolt(although I'd wait until 41 for Thunder despite its accuracy).

Magneton has Steel Typing so its able to absorb Physical attacks better but has a x4 weakness to Ground moves and doesn't learn any valuable Steel moves. Therefore it should be treated as an Electric type with a strong defense at the expense of speed. It doesn't learn Thunderbolt naturally so it will have to be taught that Best in Show Electric move.

Electabuzz, of the available options, is arguably the best pick outside of the legendary Zapdos but it doesn't learn Thunderbolt until level 47 and can't be obtained until you reach the Power Plant midway through your run.

Also, Thunderbolt TM is obtained via Rocket Game Corner(4000 coins) and not at the Power Plant. The TM's you obtain in the Power Plant are TM17(Protect) and TM25 or Thunder. There are also a couple Thunderstones and other useful items to find.

Back