• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] How would you rate the new Pokémon?

Years
Let's say you're asked to rank how good the new Pokémon introduced in Galar are on a scale of 1-10. Where do you think they'd fall?

pkmin3033

Hrmn...honestly, I'd give them around a 4. There are some solid designs in there, but there is more trash than not...the starters are definitely an all-time low, they haven't been quite this bad since Gen V. Corviknight is one of the better early route birds, and I adore Sinistea, Frosmoth, Eternatus, and the new Regis, but the cover Legendaries are definitely the worst to date, there are far too many trashy fighting types, and...eh, a lot of them are just mediocre. The fossils were a cool idea that was poorly executed, Galarian forms feel like dex filler (and bad dex filler to boot - Mr. Rime and Perrserker are both unforgivably bad) and...eh. There isn't really much to say about them, and I'd count that as a bad thing rather than a good thing.

Years
I feel like I may be biased on this one, being from the UK, but I quite like a lot of the new pokemon introduced in Galar. I can see where the inspiration from almost every pokemon came from, from the more obvioius Stonejourner, to the possibly lesser known red/grey squirrel pairing of Skwovet and Greedent.
I do have to agree with Dawn that the legendaries are kinda dull though, we already had knight themed pokemon with Sirfetch'd and Corviknight which were way more interesting design wise. It's kind of a let down that we got a dog with a sword and a dog with a shield for the great big legendaries.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 (points deducted for the octopus pokemon not being water type >:( )

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 4, 2021
I didn't play the game, and looking at some of the designs some are cool. I love Applins , Hatenna, and Dreepys' whole evolution line. There are others too that I love, but the starters are at a weird place for me. I think Scorbunny is good, but compared to all the other fire type starters its basically near the bottom of the list for me. I love Sobble, and I think Drizzile is that awkward middle stage like Quilava or Pignite. Inteleon on the other hand I absolutely hate. And I just don't like Rillaboom. I think Silicobra is kinda gross looking. Stonjourner and Eiscue are some of the worst designs. I hate the fossil Pokemon, and would rather have them in their normal states. Duraludon is just meh and I want to like it, but compared to other giant lizard Pokemon like Tyranitar, Aggron, and Nidoking he is at the bottom of the barrel probably. I think the legionaries and mythical Pokemon are decent with the worst being Glastrier. 5-6/10 There are some that I love, some I think are fine, and some I hate.

Years
I like them! Probably around a 7 for me? It has a lot of awesome mons like Scorbunny, Eldegoss, WOOLOO, Toxtricity, Snom, Yamper, the Hattena line, Indeedee, and others. <3

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
I'd say a 7 out of 10. I enjoyed playing through it, but got really tired of the bazillion cutscenes. The wild area was my favorite part, so I am looking forward to the RPG in 2022. Hoping it will scratch that freeform play itch.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Not the greatest gen in terms of Pokémon design, but I still like more than half of them so I guess it's a 6-7.

It has my less favorite starter trio so far, with two of them being basically a James Bond parody and a Football player dressed in a rabbit costume, plus some other questionable designs, but I liked stuff such as Duralodon, Grapploct, Corviknight, Orbeetle, Centiskorch, Galarian Weezing, Cursola, Sirfetch'd among others.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
I just realized you meant the Pokémon themselves, and not the game...

I like some of the alternate forms for older Pokémon, even if the new typing is weaker. I don't like the fossil Pokémon at all for this version. I can understand that the game devs were poking fun at archaeologists getting fossils wrong in the past, but to have the Pokémon be twisted abominations like that... makes you wonder how long they live before dying due to the lack of organs lining up correctly.

8/10 for the alternate forms of previous Pokémon.

3/10 for the fossil Pokémon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i actually like this batch quite a bit. i did a tier list for galar a while back actually... there are only two that i really dislike.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I like some a lot but there's a bit too many weird, non-attractive designs. Similar to what we also found in Kalos, Unova and Alola. There are some that are really great, like Spectrier, Zacian, Cufant, Frosmoth, Sirfetch'd, Cursola, Hattrem, Clobbopus, Centiskorch, Gossifleur, Corviknight, Raboot and Grookey, but Galar is also responsible for the existence of... Blipbug... Chewtle.. Carkol.... Apple..tun..... Cramorant.. Obstagoon.. and more. Yeah. Not a great average score c::::

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
I honestly thought the ice head penguin was a joke when I saw screenshots of it, and the fossils are extremely meh (although the reasoning/lore behind them is interesting enough). Kinda torn on the starters, but they're on the lower end compared to past generations for me. That said, I really liked the new bug types and most if not all the new birds, so something like 5-6/10 maybe. I like wolf/doglike creatures but the legendaries were kinda bland imo. I guess they were going for a more minimalist or stoic kind of feel for them? Idk, but the box legends were a bit disappointing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Starters have taken the reward from gen V for worst designed starters in the series. I think there's a lot more unappealing designs in this gen compared to the last two gens. Also some additions that are just reworked Pokemon we already have. I don't feel we really needed another water/flying bird Pokemon or a generic water type only fish. Typings like rock/fire and bug/ice are doomed even if you like the design. There are some I really like, but overall I'd give this generation a below average rating.

Empoleon671

不要
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
yeah the starters were pretty bad. i played this gen when it released with like 8-9 of my friends in a room and i was surprised all of us picked scorbunny (one of my friends restarted to pick grookey and be different)\

3/10

dont want to repeat what's already been said but... people have been saying GF's running out of ideas for years and this is the first time i've actually felt some truth in that.

like, i think this is the first generation where we have pokemon that are.... pretty much normal animals atleast design wise. Eiscue line looks like a cartoon penguin body to the core with barely any pokemon elements added to it for example or how Rillaboom just looks like a regular gorilla with barely any pokemon elements. like, did we really need vanilla animals as design crutches? there's a clear line of discrepancy when comparing piplup line to eiscue, or any monkey pokemon like primeape or infernape to rillaboom. im not even sure if you showed those pokemon to a younger me i'd believe they were real.

Last edited:
Years
There are a few designs that I really like and are new favorites of mine: Rillaboom, Frosmoth, Grimmsnarl, Obstagoon, Corviknight, Appletun, but then there are others that are, for me, so fucking awful: Inteleon's entire line, Ice-head penguin, Thwackey, Morgrem, Mr. Rime, Stonjourner, Fossils, Eternatus, and the worst Pokemon of all fucking time, Calyrex, that I think I lean towards below average as a whole. I would probably say 4/10.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
6/10, I guess. Pokémon designs seem to follow a trend of getting weirder every generation. Some of the highlights for me are Indeedee, Sirfetch'd, the Applin family, the fossils, especially Dracovish (because they're an extremely stupid idea and I love them for that), the new Regis, and the fact that the Galarian forms aren't restricted to Generation I Pokémon. I like that they've given us quite a number of Ice-types in this generation, too, because Ice is too scarce a type in my opinion.

On the other hand, there are some Pokémon I quite loathe, like Cinderace, Coalossal, and Boltund. Pokémon like Pincurchin seem rushed too, and it's clear they really needed another Pokémon with Electric Surge. Game Freak clearly doesn't care much about game balance either, considering that Zacian exists.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
Would be tough to come up with a 1-10. Definitely better than the 7th gen crop.

Just counted all the EV trained and IV bred Pokemon I have for the gen. Now, I don't only EV train and IV breed for pokemon that are the best competitively. Like, I don't care if a Pokemon like Copperajah isn't OU or whatever, I just go by what I think are cool.
29 1st gen
16 2nd gen
15 3rd gen
16 4th gen
25 5th gen
19 6th gen
13 7th gen
16 8th gen

Not that that really means anything but I guess subconsciously it might. 3rd and 7th are probably my least favorite in terms of designs and it shows in how many of them I've trained I guess.

Years
I would rate maybe 6 out of 10.
Gen 8 introduced some great Pokemon, The Starters for these games aren't that great though. But it did introduce some great pokemon. Some that i actually like quite a bit
Corviknight
Dragapult
Toxtricity
Urshifu
The Galarian Legendary birds

Back