• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Help with the 'Make' command

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
This is guaranteed to be a noob question, but I have to ask it anyway because I've looked up several tutorials and guides and it still won't work.

This is a make anything disassembly question. Essentially, I have downloaded all the requisite pieces and installed them exactly as guides tell me to do, but trying to run the 'make' commands to create GB games does not work for me. I am trying to create a Pokemon TCG hack, but even when I follow tutorials to the letter, I always get the following error message when trying to run the make command:>

> Cygwin batch file run
> cd poketcg (successful)

Then when I run make,

(File path on my computer)\RGBDSrgbgfx -o src/gfx/hand_cards.2bpp src/gfx/hand_cards.png
make: C:\Users\(username)\Desktop\RGBDSrgbgfx: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:144: src/gfx/hand_cards.2bpp] Error 127

And yes, I get the same thing when trying to do basic things like making pokered. Which is supremely weird because I was able to do it years ago without issue, but now it somehow doesn't work.

I've tried just about everything I can think of at this point. I've put the base rom in just about every folder, along with the RGBDS exe's and dll's, and nothing works.

I never downloaded WSL, but again, years ago I didn't need to in order to make this work before. Aside from that I followed the common instructions to the letter and I get the same 'error 127' message for any game I try to make now.

I am on Windows 10, have installed Cygwin with 'Make', 'Git' and 'GCC core' options. I have downloaded all the RGBDS files and the poketcg files. The RGBDS files are stored in usr/local/bin and the poketcg files are in home/(username). I have also reinstalled everything above twice now to make sure I didn't miss anything. I thought that the error message was telling me to put the RGBDS files on the desktop, but nothing changes when I do.

Please help.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
This is guaranteed to be a noob question, but I have to ask it anyway because I've looked up several tutorials and guides and it still won't work.

This is a make anything disassembly question. Essentially, I have downloaded all the requisite pieces and installed them exactly as guides tell me to do, but trying to run the 'make' commands to create GB games does not work for me. I am trying to create a Pokemon TCG hack, but even when I follow tutorials to the letter, I always get the following error message when trying to run the make command:>

> Cygwin batch file run
> cd poketcg (successful)

Then when I run make,

(File path on my computer)\RGBDSrgbgfx -o src/gfx/hand_cards.2bpp src/gfx/hand_cards.png
make: C:\Users\(username)\Desktop\RGBDSrgbgfx: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:144: src/gfx/hand_cards.2bpp] Error 127

And yes, I get the same thing when trying to do basic things like making pokered. Which is supremely weird because I was able to do it years ago without issue, but now it somehow doesn't work.

I've tried just about everything I can think of at this point. I've put the base rom in just about every folder, along with the RGBDS exe's and dll's, and nothing works.

I never downloaded WSL, but again, years ago I didn't need to in order to make this work before. Aside from that I followed the common instructions to the letter and I get the same 'error 127' message for any game I try to make now.

I am on Windows 10, have installed Cygwin with 'Make', 'Git' and 'GCC core' options. I have downloaded all the RGBDS files and the poketcg files. The RGBDS files are stored in usr/local/bin and the poketcg files are in home/(username). I have also reinstalled everything above twice now to make sure I didn't miss anything. I thought that the error message was telling me to put the RGBDS files on the desktop, but nothing changes when I do.

Please help.
Something funky must be happening for Cygwin to be trying to read a folder from your Desktop at all.
I just tried to build poketcg on Cygwin myself and it worked out just fine.
Did you by chance download the latest binaries of Rgbds? Because it's said right there in the Releases page of Rgbds' repository that the release is an April Fools Joke and it's not meant to be used.
You have to download the previous version.
As you're already mentioned, the files go in C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin.

If you have that set up, and the Make and Git packages, you should be good to go.

Cataclyptic

Years
Something funky must be happening for Cygwin to be trying to read a folder from your Desktop at all.
I just tried to build poketcg on Cygwin myself and it worked out just fine.
Did you by chance download the latest binaries of Rgbds? Because it's said right there in the Releases page of Rgbds' repository that the release is an April Fools Joke and it's not meant to be used.
You have to download the previous version.
As you're already mentioned, the files go in C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin.

If you have that set up, and the Make and Git packages, you should be good to go.

Oh wow, you are the creator of one of those tutorials I tried to use. But anyway,

I downloaded 0.5.2, which should NOT be the april fools joke one. And yes, I have extracted those files to usr/local/bin.

I put all these files (cygwin, RGBDS, poketcg) on a folder on the desktop, is that what's messing with the system? Do I need to put them in another area or something?

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I put all these files (cygwin, RGBDS, poketcg) on a folder on the desktop, is that what's messing with the system? Do I need to put them in another area or something?
Again, Rgbds doesn't go in the Desktop. Its binary files (4 executables and 2 .dll libraries) go in Cygwin's usr\local\bin folder.
And well, while I suppose that having Cygwin installed in the desktop shouldn't cause issues, I always install it in its default path myself, which is C:\cygwin64.
I'd suggest you to give that a try, though it's mostly because I can't think of anything else.

Cataclyptic

Years
Again, Rgbds doesn't go in the Desktop. Its binary files (4 executables and 2 .dll libraries) go in Cygwin's usr\local\bin folder.
And well, while I suppose that having Cygwin installed in the desktop shouldn't cause issues, I always install it in its default path myself, which is C:\cygwin64.
I'd suggest you to give that a try, though it's mostly because I can't think of anything else.

I actually did that all three times, sorry if that wasn't clear.

So, I did all of that and reinstalled everything on a cygwin folder located in C:. Still didn't work.

But then I became suspicious when you kept saying it shouldn't be directed to the desktop, and that's when I found the solution. One of those tutorials I followed told me to create a path in CMD in order to get Cywin working, which I did. The path I created was directed to the desktop because that's where everything was located at the time of the first setup.

So I deleted that path, restarted the computer to let the changes go, and it finally worked.

Moral of the story: Don't create paths for no reason.

Thank you for your help, it's finally done.

Back