• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

just what is mew?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Steven Stone said:
Do they know what a cat is?
Cause it's been 20 years and I've never seen a cat in the anime before.

HJGgryj.png

There's cats in Pokemon...only in the original series.

Edit: there was cats in Pokemon only once. In the episode Tanks a lot! where a real cat was pictured on a can of "cat food", and the original series had a few regular animals in it such as fish & a dog like, one time.

----

As for what Mew is? It could literally be anything, and honestly, I'm 100% sure people name Pokemon based on their calling themselves by their own name. With the exception of Pokemon that don't like Moltres & whatnot. I don't really think it has anything to do with it being catlike. Mew can come from myuu which is a verbal tic of some kind.

Last edited:

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
there's a cat in a kanto episode? wtf

tbh if they have cats, and dogs, and small amounts of normal animals, that means they're not eating togepi for breakfast every morning, and I can sleep better at night

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
ive been thinking about this a lot and i cant figure it out. is mew a mouse or a cat?

Mew is a cat, hence why it is named "Mew" as in japanese cat sound (See the anime Tokyo Mew Mew, where one of the heroines turns into a human with cat DNA)

And heck in cokemob rom hack, it's called Kitty

However since Eeveelutions are fennec-cats i think Mew is a cat-mouse mix

It is based off the Eygptian hairless Sphinx cat.

So like DBS's Beerus? OMG! Give it the pudding! Quick

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Mew? Ferocious? You're kidding me. Mewtwo is the one who has anger issues. Mew plays like a kitten. Mew is totally a cat.

I think the comment did state that Mewtwo was the ferocious one

But back to the topic, Mew is definitely more cat like. After all it is called Mew.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Mew is one of the first Pokemon Arceus created. You just don't hear of it in Sinnoh legends to go with their theme overall.

It may be the one pokemon created to be the 'embreo' of all pokemon, hence why it learns all moves.

Pokemon as a whole may even start out as Mews inside their eggs before hatching. I wouldn't be too surprised if thats the case =D

That said, the first Mew is the one that is just forever in its embric form. Created along with the lake guardians, the time and space guardians, and all the other sinnoh deities.

Hope this helped :P

Back