• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen My memories about the first Pokemon games

Years
When i was a kid, before knowing about Pokemon i used to dream about developing games and one of my ideas was actually a game where you battle with monsters you level and evolve, because i thought it would be cool to play something like that (i think i was inspired by Tamagotchi). When i got to know about Pokemon, i thought - wow thats exactly what i wanted to play!

I remember my brother, my best friend and me buying the game a couple of days before release because one store at our place had put them on sale already. I got the blue version and both my brother and friend the red version (there was no green version in EU, yellow came later). Me and my brother shared one gameboy while my friend had his own, so obviously he got ahead of us pretty early. After a couple of days we actually bought an additional one, because the game was so addicting and so we could also trade or battle. When all of us finished the game for the first time, we started from new right after. But this time, we started with everyone having all 3 starting pokemon by one guy restarting multiple times and trading the his starting pokemon to the others.

This time we stayed in the lategame of the game and played it for longer, battling each other often and grinding to level up our Pokemons. I remember i was the first one who had possessed all 150 Pokemon of all i knew was playing the game. After some time we found out about the bug with item multiplication. Not sure how exactly, since we didn't had internet back then, i think just from hearsay. That eliminated the grinding since you could just cheat your monsters to 99 now. I remember Mewto being banned in our internal battles and some other psychic Pokemon being very popular (especially Alakazam) because they were so hard to counter. My friend really liked using Venusaur to sleep pokemons. I really liked Jolteon for countering the psycho pokemons because she could learn that bug attack that does 2-5 hits and is really fast, you can allways get at least one attack in before enemy could retreat his psychic pokemon. Sometimes finishing/oneshotting if you were lucky and got 5 hits.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
When i was a kid, before knowing about Pokemon i used to dream about developing games and one of my ideas was actually a game where you battle with monsters you level and evolve, because i thought it would be cool to play something like that (i think i was inspired by Tamagotchi). When i got to know about Pokemon, i thought - wow thats exactly what i wanted to play!

I remember my brother, my best friend and me buying the game a couple of days before release because one store at our place had put them on sale already. I got the blue version and both my brother and friend the red version (there was no green version in EU, yellow came later). Me and my brother shared one gameboy while my friend had his own, so obviously he got ahead of us pretty early. After a couple of days we actually bought an additional one, because the game was so addicting and so we could also trade or battle. When all of us finished the game for the first time, we started from new right after. But this time, we started with everyone having all 3 starting pokemon by one guy restarting multiple times and trading the his starting pokemon to the others.

This time we stayed in the lategame of the game and played it for longer, battling each other often and grinding to level up our Pokemons. I remember i was the first one who had possessed all 150 Pokemon of all i knew was playing the game. After some time we found out about the bug with item multiplication. Not sure how exactly, since we didn't had internet back then, i think just from hearsay. That eliminated the grinding since you could just cheat your monsters to 99 now. I remember Mewto being banned in our internal battles and some other psychic Pokemon being very popular (especially Alakazam) because they were so hard to counter. My friend really liked using Venusaur to sleep pokemons. I really liked Jolteon for countering the psycho pokemons because she could learn that bug attack that does 2-5 hits and is really fast, you can allways get at least one attack in before enemy could retreat his psychic pokemon. Sometimes finishing/oneshotting if you were lucky and got 5 hits.

Jolteon was a popular counter to Psychic Types because Bug Types were incredibly weak in Generation 1. Pin Missile was arguably the best Bug Type move available despite its base 14 power(it was increased to 25 in Generation 2) and Jolteon learned it naturally for a non-Bug Type Pokemon. Due to its inherent speed thanks to being an Electric Type, it grew in popularity to counter Psychic types who were tough to knock out thanks to their speed and strong special attack.

Also, I didn't get Red or Blue right away but rather got Yellow when it came out. Friend of mine had Blue down the street so we traded a bit but we didn't really get into the game as intensely as other people we knew did. Happen to have a favorite team or final 6 you settled on? For me, it was Pikachu, Sandslash, Ninetales(although there are times where I struggle to evolve it from Vulpix), Lapras(or Starmie), Snorlax and Venusaur(although sometimes I go with Exeggcutor).

Years
i don't remember my whole lineup anymore, thats too long ago. I remember using Alakazam, Blastoise and Jolteon.

Years

Jolteon she? But there weren't genders in Generation I.

Back