The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Should parents force their child to study during Summer Vacation?

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old August 1st, 2018 (4:28 AM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
    I am a 15th year old boy. Who is not enjoying his summer vacation. Yeah, you hear it correctly. I am not enjoying my vacation at all. My father always force me to study during summer vacation. I have to get up at 6:00 o'clock at morning and study until afternoon. And from 6 to 10:30 at night. For me summer vacation is just study. While my friends doesn't need to study at all. They are enjoying their summer vacation to their heart contents. And how much marks i am getting by doing study during summer vacation? 45 percentage. I am sick of it. I have studied whole 180 days. I need a rest now.

What is your thoughts on this matter?
    Old August 1st, 2018 (5:12 AM).

I wouldn't force any kid to have to study during their summer vacation. That is just cruel in my opinion. I could see it being recommended a few weeks before returning to school, but not the entire summer.

Old August 1st, 2018 (5:28 AM). Edited August 1st, 2018 by Calzone407.
    Life is a conundrum of esoterica

Nature: Jolly
      I've been doing school the whole summer so far, I'm homeschooling and I hadntfinsihed some of my subjects yet, so it dragged on to the summer. I don't know about cruel, you should never think of your parents that way, but it definitely is disappointing the first time I ever had to work through it, it's really not about you I suppose, just try to succeed make your parents proud, and then go be a need on a forum like the rest of us.
      Old August 1st, 2018 (6:49 AM).
      Team Rocket!

Nature: Sassy
      Nope. All kids need a break from learning its why we have summer vacation in the first place. Unless you're one of those few special kinda kids more studying isn't going to make you smarter. Your brain needs a rest too.

I know for a fact that it wouldn't work on me because I'd just look at it and not remember it in the next 5 minutes.

[Shiny Living Dex 531]
      Old August 1st, 2018 (9:31 AM).

Summer vacation should be shortened. Kids forget too much.
        Old August 1st, 2018 (9:53 AM).
        Spooky Girl with a Computer

Nature: Brave
          I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't force my kid to study during vacation except for the last week as a sort of compromise. The kid gets a long break and has a head start once school begins.

Oh wait, that's me. :wink-right-eye:
          Old August 1st, 2018 (11:21 AM).
          Say it with me (Vray-gun)

Personally, I do think kids need a break from studying, but it's important to at least keep the stuff engrained in them. Not all kids are cut from the same cloth, so it's hard to say.

Taking them to neat activities and stuff school related that can be fun and interesting is a plausible idea. Studying can only be for parts of the day, not for as long as school and ultimately, I think age is a factor.

Young kids probably aren't as durable with studying as your highschooler, so I'd say that later down the road, implementing things to help them in their studies is ideal, like SAT tests, science stuff, programs and all that stuff. Some fun with the sun that helps them keep their schoolwork so the last year wasn't a complete waste.

It can be overdone yes, but helping your kid succeed is the job for every parent and should be something they can invest in and get advice on ways to help their kid. Talking with the kid about this would also be something viable. Learning isn't necessarily always annoying and can be made at least interesting if approached in a good way.

“I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
            Old August 1st, 2018 (6:24 PM).

It's their choice. If they want to be a little responsible early on and take advantage of the opportunity, great. But not big deal if not. I don't want them lazing around in my house all day though. They won't be prepared for the adult life if that happens.
              Old August 1st, 2018 (9:44 PM).
              Lord

If it works, why not?

It would be rather disappointing if the parents actually didn't care about how much their children learn. It's their future after all.

Though, of course it can't be all about learning. You still need to give them enough breaks, they're kids after all.
              Old August 2nd, 2018 (3:05 AM).

Nature: Adamant
              I think it should be heavily encouraged if it's needed but never forced. People need a break sometimes but more to the point it's a good way to teach your kid about the importance of the choices they make. If you need to study and don't and you fail, you've learned a lesson in responsibility the hard way. Just forcing someone to study is forgoing teaching an even more important lesson I feel.
              Old August 2nd, 2018 (1:13 PM).

Nature: Adamant
              Only about a couple weeks before school so they can ease back into the routine.

Silence speeds the path to the streams of solace that run so few and narrow
              Old August 3rd, 2018 (2:47 AM).
              Owl + Bear =
              Owlbear

Location: That place called... Wait, what was it called again?
              Nature: Quirky
              Forcing to study? Unless the child has to catch up on missed/failed subjects in the past year, definitely not. The brain needs a bit of rest every now and then, and a couple of weeks of vacation is necessary.
              Of course a vacation is no excuse to turn the brain off for weeks, so to say, and lazily lying on the couch doing nothing doesn't do it much good. Occasionally reading a book or doing a puzzle still helps and (I personally think) is fun as well, so I can recommend that over a forced study any time.
              Old August 3rd, 2018 (7:17 AM). Edited August 3rd, 2018 by Damien.aspiring.fandev.
              🎺🎺🎺🎺🎺🎺 📯📯📯📯

Nature: Jolly
                It depends on whether the teachers/professor will bother about it as school restarts.
                Way too many times they had me trouble myself with tasks they completely forgot about, especially in the case of summer homework(had I had a blade or stick by my side, I would've lynched that pesky corpus docens properly!).
                If it's a proper assignment, it's suggestable to get it out of the way post-haste, however you'll quite likely stand disappointed.
                If the assignment consists of a book, read it, and if you can't finish it, check out a few resumes and
                reviews of it, they could help you nail a good mark on the test or essay that will come.
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by peter McLightning View Post
                I have to get up at 6:00 o'clock at morning and study until afternoon. And from 6 to 10:30 at night. [...] how much marks i am getting by doing study during summer vacation? 45 percentage. I am sick of it. I have studied whole 180 days.
                Of course, staying THIS long on books won't help you with marks, but rather do the exact opposite,
                especially if you're getting up at 6:00am and going to sleep at 10:00pm, that is counterintuitive and unhealthy.
                Studying night-time, really? Night is meant for sleeping, no surprise marks drop.
                If you really must, try revising or doing a few simpler exercises in bed, it might also help sleeping.
                The psychological condition has its own influence too, and will alter studying sessions as well as
                performance during tests and essays, so think this way : you got a good mark? Congrats. You got a bad mark? Big deal, you can recover.
                Troubling yourself too much with trouble will make it double, so stay serene, for a mind clear of excrutiations operates better.

In the end, what truly matters is passing with passable marks, the exams are easier than what everyone anticipates to us,
                and besides, the junk they teach us(the obscenities of history, veristic literature, hermetistic poetry, Δ=b²-4ac) is very unlikely
                to serve any purpose on the labour scene...
                ...if we get an employment, that is...

*the post gets possibly a bit off-topic and personal, using spoiler*
                Spoiler:
                Where I live, even the laurea holders have issues finding employment,
                going to university might thus turn out to be a waste of family funds.
                There was even a case of people all over the country mobilizing for just two free positions as nurses.
                Now, THIS resumes our situation very well.

With all the idiocies many professors and students told about independence,
                I was expecting maturity would've meant supporting the ones who patiently grew me.
                Instead I'm sitting here, sending curricula to all the agencies I can find, as well
                as a few other enterprises, hoping to get an internship.

Day by day, I grow more resentful towards school, questioning what was the point of
                having to deal with so many dramatic situations and all those depressing topics.

Employers don't care if I got 87/100 at the exam or if I'm subscribed to a protected cathegory,
                they demand previously-developed experiences, implying that in order to get a job I need to
                have had a job (even if it's cleaning duties... actually, ESPECIALLY cleaning duties...).
                However, it might be my own fault if I'm in this situation... there's still a few who demand
                people whom attended technical addresses, graphicals or professional development centers...
                Had I moved in that direction, perhaps I wouldn't be writing this.

The sole thing I find gratifying is that I can type this in English, but that's mostly due to mother trying to
                push me into the subject as an infant through those minuscule facilitated lecture activity books,
                with video-games and other media popping in later.
                In school we get to repeat the same forsaken topics over and over, not to mention in high school a
                former professor of mine corrected duchy as dukedom in an essay I wrote, unaware they're synonims.
                No surprise there's students who don't even know how to say or write hello, or think grass means fat(s).
                Other fun fact : only 21%circa of our populace masters their own mothertongue, but that is probably
                because many still use dialects, so it might be somehow justified.

I seriously hope getting the driving license in September helps.
                It should, since an agency worker notified me they're being contacted on monthly basis for the controlling of gas meters, albeit a license is required.
                If it doesn't help, I could really consider doing some foulish, undecorous act : I've heard detainees coming out of jail are assigned employments...

...eh? The original poster was banned... I wonder what happened?

I am but a tearful clown. Though I smile, I cry inside.
                -Clown Lee. Jubilife TV station(Diamond&Pearl)/various pokémon centers through Sinnoh(Platinum)
                Want some gen5 apricorn balls?
                Old August 5th, 2018 (5:58 PM). Edited August 5th, 2018 by Aduitt.
                Confused

Nature: Lax
                  Yes!
                  Parents should without a doubt make their children study during holidays!

Now, when I say this, I do not mean ten hours a day every day. If I were to say that, it would be ludicrous.
                  Studying an hour or two minimum a day from around 12pm can actually be incredibly beneficial. This is because 12pm-4pm is the ideal time for your brain to take in information.
                  A good place to start is going through a textbook. By that, I mean going through every page, leaving notes and basically memorising the entire thing. It seems impossible in the short term (it is). However; in the long term, you will learn everything you will need for your current and future years at school/college/university.
                  Studying is not easy, its hard. If you can commit to learning what you need or more, you will have more than the knowledge of how to solve for x. You will have gained the ability to persist in life, no matter what you have to do.
                  Old September 11th, 2018 (10:22 AM).
                  Banned

Nature: Hasty
                  Summer break, being too long, is actually a hindrance in learning. I find when you take elongated breaks for months at a time, it severely impacts almost everything you've built up.

I suppose there's a reason Japan implements the year long school years, with many 2 week or so breaks peppered throughout. It is more effective than just 25% of the year completely off.

But if you force a kid to keep studying throughout even that, then what's the point of having a break at all? They're getting the worst outcome of everything. So no, I wouldn't.

Quick Reply