• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokémon of 2020

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
This is my first post here, so please inform me if I've broken any rules.

I've had ideas for pokemon hacks before but never pursued them since I have little to no experience with hacking ROMs. However, I had this new idea which was a lot less ambitious so I thought I might as well post here. Feel free to tell me if it seems interesting or not.

Concept:- So earlier this year, GameFreak and Google ran a poll to figure out the favourite pokemon of the internet. The 890 Pokémon were split into eight categories based on the region they were first discovered and the results of the top 30 in each region were posted. I thought I'd be cool if there was a hack which had those 240ish pokemon available. It would take place in Kanto following the same plot structure. Maybe a little more open world. The Sevii Islands would be completely restructured (if I were to ever get there).

Ideas to consider:-
  • All the pokemon in the polls added to the game (in addition to all their related regional forms).
  • All modern moves, abilities, form changes, mega evolution and gigantamax forms implemented for the chosen pokemon.
  • Change gym and elite four types; possibly replace all of them with characters from other regions.
  • Slight increase in difficulty. A drastic increase in difficulty for all postgame rematches with gym leaders.
  • General quality of life improvements to encourage catching new pokemon.

Years
Hi!

I don't think it's a bad a idea, but for me it's a little repetitive, we have lots of hackroms that are another FireRed game with more pokemon, megas-evolution, and slightly harder.
It could still help you as your "first hackrom", because it could give you some experience.

I recomend you to create your own game, your own story, region, characters, and if you are an artist, even your own pokemon! It's obviously harder, that's why I said that it may be helpful to make a smaller game to give you experience. But believe me that it's so much funnier and filling to create your own characters with their personalities than using the generic: Red, Blue, Oak, Cynthia, Ash, etc.

If romhacking a whole new story is to hard for you, try moving to RPG Maker, it's so much easier to create events, you don't have to know too much about scripts. There's people that completed a 2 region game with having null idea of scripting. You still should watch tutorials to start using it but you'll see it's not that hard.

A youtuber called Thundaga have lots of tutorial videos that can help you. This is his first one, where he shows the basics:

With that being said, I have to add that's still your decision, I just told you my opinion and other people may have another one.

Good luck with your projects!

Back