The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Discussions & Debates
Help & Advice Thread

Discussions & Debates Have a seat at Discussions & Debates for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old December 16th, 2017 (12:08 AM).
rm14 no

Nature: Quirky
    You do know that the only way to even have a chance for an appeal is going to Email them since their site’s banning can’t allow you to get to the appeal page?

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 16th, 2017 (3:25 AM).
    Cobble Badge
    • Platinum Tier
    • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Mild
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anime Psyclone View Post
    You do know that the only way to even have a chance for an appeal is going to Email them since their site’s banning can’t allow you to get to the appeal page?
    Then you should have emailed them.
    I'm not going to argue with you about it though, what's done is done.

"Oh! But this isn't the end, my friend!"
    Old December 18th, 2017 (6:59 AM). Edited December 18th, 2017 by string555.
    Skippity hop, skippity HAWP!

Nature: Gentle
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
      Please don't encourage people to break rules on this site or any other.
      My bad, noted.

Edit: I guess, Anime Psyclone, try taking a walk for a minute in the Mod's shoes. As users of a site, we have to follow the rules, or get banned. The Mod's have the same set of rules, and they have to follow them or get banned AND de-modded. However, on top of those rules, they also have an extra set of rules about how to enforce the rules. Take it a step above, and the admins have rules about enforcing how the mods enforce the rules, lol. So it does seem kind of stupid how you got banned, in my personal opinion, but unless it was a really offensive image, I would bet that they kind of swept some past offenses under the table before, and the image was the last straw.

But you are here now, so you have another chance in a new environment, don't screw it up.

Cutewarez Family: OPTIMUM == $ophia == Teatime == :3
      Old December 18th, 2017 (11:26 AM).
      rm14 no

Also...

I feel like I shouldn’t change my avis and banner much. On every site I was on every few days my avatar and signature changed. I have to physically force myself not to. Should I do it?
        Old December 18th, 2017 (1:38 PM).

Quote:
        Also...

I feel like I shouldn’t change my avis and banner much. On every site I was on every few days my avatar and signature changed. I have to physically force myself not to. Should I do it?
        Just do what you feel like. If you wanna change them, then do it. If you don’t, you don’t. There’s little reason to feel like one should or should not change them frequently/infrequently .

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&D6th Gen
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:41 PM).
        What a bother

Nature: Calm
          ((((LONG STORY SHORT, A FRIEND SAID SOMETHING THAT GOT ME MAD BUT I WANTED TO GIVE EVERY DETAIL OF MY PERSPECTIVE)))

I have this friend, someone I've been friends with for a very long time. We'll call him "J". J and I are both avid Pokemon fans, but we couldn't be on more opposite spectrums. He's an obsessive online competitive battler, often spending time on PokemonShowdown. On the other hand, I'm an obsessive casual player (I will never get tired of playing any of the mainstory Pokemon games).

Anyways, the real problem lies not in our different philosophies, but more so the way he went about it when something I said went against his philosophy. He always wants to battle me, mostly cause he knows he'll win and likes using me as a guinea pig for new teams. I tried to explain to him that I just don't have any interest in battling competitively, that I'd rather run through a main story game and catch Pokemon I haven't used before as opposed to participating in the metagame. I have a lot of fun doing that, like I said before, I never get tired.

Here is what reaaalllllyyyy made me grind my gears. He had the nerve to tell me not to be a Pokemon trainer if I'm not going to try and become a better competitive battler. You have no idea how much that got under my skin. I've been with Pokemon for nearly 20 GOD DAMN YEARS. Day in, day out when I was tormented by bullies at school for years, what helped me through it? Pokemon. What was the force which helped me find closure after my dog died after 15 years of companionship? Pokemon. What was it that's helped me through the hell and highwater I've been this year? That's right, god damn Pokemon. Whether it's playing Pokemon, watching Pokemon, drawing Pokemon, poetry about Pokemon, or even just getting to use my imagination, there isn't anything I hold more of an affinity for than Pokemon. AND THIS FOOL REALLY HAS THE NERVE TO TELL ME I SHOULDN'T PLAY THE GAMES JUST BECAUSE I PLAY IT DIFFERENTLY THAN HIM?????

I'm not going to lie, I've full on considered ending my friendship with him over this. I don't care if anyone thinks this is silly, this REEAAALLLLLYYYYYY got under my skin. He's supposed to be my friend, not bring me down. The most irritating part about it is I know he won't listen or even consider my point of view on things because of how deeply rooted he is in his philosophy and beliefs. Either that, or he will listen and immediately discredit me FOR PLAYING DIFFERENTLY. ISN'T THE MOST IMPORTANT AND UNDERLYING POINT OF POKEMON TO JUST HAVE FUN??? WHETHER IT'S WITH YOURSELF OR WITH FRIENDS, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN!

And before a competitive battler comes to try discredit and invalidate me, just hear me out. I know damn well that being a great competitive battler takes a lot of hard work and determination. I see that, and I respect that. However, I'm just not interested in participating in the metagame. Like, can't we just agree to disagree? I don't care if a Pokemon I have physical attacking moves on has a Modest nature, low IV's, whatever. Every Pokemon I use is an individual to me, and I love them just the way they are.

So yes, needless to say, it reeeaallllllllyyyyyy got under my skin. The principle behind this argument eats at me, I wanna just scream because of how conflicted I am over it. As I mentioned before, I had considered just telling him to piss off in my heated moments, but I think I'm just going to keep my distance till I calm down. It's not worth blowing up, but that comment still hurt me because of how carelessly it came out of his mouth, and the weight behind the entire situation.

A big thank you to anyone who reads this through, I know it's a lot over something small, but I needed to communicate my feelings from every angle, and hopefully someone will be able to offer me some good advice/perspective on how I can put this behind me.

You serious, bruh?
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:53 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Anime Psyclone.
          rm14 no

Just do it like I do, explode in a cascade of fire and fury explaining every detail. That might end your friendship. Or, you could try to talk to him calmly if you want to remain friends. I don’t have friends but I don’t really need them.

-a non comp battler who plays hackmons on showdown
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:14 AM).
            Cobble Badge
            • Platinum Tier
            • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
            Originally Posted by kyuubi93 View Post
            Snip
            Ending a friendship over this one small issue is a bit much. Just don't play the game with them as much.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:20 AM).
            Skippity hop, skippity HAWP!

Damn kyuubi93, that's some bullmuk on your friend's part. The whole point is fun, and everyone has fun with the games in different ways. It's not right to just stomp on other people's way of doing things like that. That being said, I don't think it is worth ending a friendship over, so I think you're right on just keeping your distance for a while.

Another suggestion in the meantime, why not start over another Pokemon game and name your rival after your friend, that way you can blow off some steam by schooling him? :D

Cutewarez Family: OPTIMUM == $ophia == Teatime == :3
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:53 PM).
              • Platinum Tier
              • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Jolly
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by kyuubi93 View Post
              -snip-
              If you do not want to end the friendship, then maybe you should perhaps cave in a little and go about looking into the competitive battling scene. Ask your friend to teach you, and maybe he'd be willing to. With him showing you his ways of playing the game (which is an extra aspect to the casual Pokémon player), you might see that it's a new way to enjoy the games and could perhaps become just as good at competitive battling as him.

In the instance you approach your friend about this and he doesn't want to show you how to become more competitive, then mutually agree with them to discontinue further discussions on Pokémon and find other ways you two can continue to be friends.

Quote:
              Just do it like I do, explode in a cascade of fire and fury explaining every detail. That might end your friendship
              Please don't. Outbursts like this are what derails conflict further.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by string555 View Post
              Another suggestion in the meantime, why not start over another Pokemon game and name your rival after your friend, that way you can blow off some steam by schooling him? :D
              Again, I would highly suggest not doing this. All this is doing is just asking for the bond to derail further than it already has, especially if the friend were to find out.

"I see that you raise Pokémon with utmost care.
              A child like you would never understand what I hope to achieve.
              I shall step aside this time! I hope we meet again..."

Moderator of Science & TechnologyTrainer Tournament
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:01 PM).
              rm14 no

I said it was one way, not the best way.
                Old 2 Weeks Ago (8:26 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by BadSheep.
                I'm baaaaaaaaad
                • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Lax
                hey guys

i need someone who is willing to talk with me through PM

its something really, really personal, so if you aren't up to it please dont even bother replying to this. I understand.

i just have some stuff I need to get off of my chest and I wont do it publicly, nor can I use anyone in real life

Edit: i know this might sound weird, but it needs to be a male that talks to me

Signature by Nah
                Old 1 Week Ago (5:31 PM).
                Vampire Waifu

Not sure if my current problem is worthy enough, but here it goes:

I've been getting pop-up messages to install my Skype again for the upgrades it'll be getting for the last couple of days. One time, it sent me to a link to the Skype website, and when I read the reviews, they went somewhere like this:

"Can't sign in. Error message keeps coming back. If this is a Microsoft app, why is it so difficult to use on a Microsoft phone? Also, when trying to sign in at the Skype website, an error message says "Sorry, Skype isn't allowing the sign in on this device yet." Ok. No way to sign in to Skype on this phone... So why is Skype app available on this phone? Don't get it."

"Skype on W10M is pure garbage. EDIT: v12.10 • No Location Sharing • No drawing • No transparent Tile • Opening the app won't clear Action Center notifications (on phones, it does on PC) • Answering from a notification won't clear the Live Tile • Slow • Opening the app on Phone will most of the time kill any other audio source. At the same time, Skype will also kill its own audio source, making so you are not longer able to hear people during calls. • Broken video calling (upside down image) • Doesn't seem to want to send keyboard emoji anymore. • Pointless "New Messages" notification instead of the actual notification with the message. • No Gallery on phone • No Fluent Design elements on phone • Crashes often At this point, what's the point of Skype?"

"Keeps freaking force quitting on the splash screen... I uninstalled it and when I reinstalled it nothing changed... Why? My phone has 3GB of ram."

I have Windows 10 for a few years now, and I fear that if I say "yes," then I may lose my Skype account, as well as all of my contacts. Can anyone who has already updated their Skype tell me if what I'm doing is the right thing?
                  Old 1 Week Ago (8:59 PM).
                  rm14 no

Just get Discord instead...
                    Old 1 Week Ago (4:57 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                    Not sure if my current problem is worthy enough, but here it goes:

I've been getting pop-up messages to install my Skype again for the upgrades it'll be getting for the last couple of days. One time, it sent me to a link to the Skype website, and when I read the reviews, they went somewhere like this:

"Can't sign in. Error message keeps coming back. If this is a Microsoft app, why is it so difficult to use on a Microsoft phone? Also, when trying to sign in at the Skype website, an error message says "Sorry, Skype isn't allowing the sign in on this device yet." Ok. No way to sign in to Skype on this phone... So why is Skype app available on this phone? Don't get it."

"Skype on W10M is pure garbage. EDIT: v12.10 • No Location Sharing • No drawing • No transparent Tile • Opening the app won't clear Action Center notifications (on phones, it does on PC) • Answering from a notification won't clear the Live Tile • Slow • Opening the app on Phone will most of the time kill any other audio source. At the same time, Skype will also kill its own audio source, making so you are not longer able to hear people during calls. • Broken video calling (upside down image) • Doesn't seem to want to send keyboard emoji anymore. • Pointless "New Messages" notification instead of the actual notification with the message. • No Gallery on phone • No Fluent Design elements on phone • Crashes often At this point, what's the point of Skype?"

"Keeps freaking force quitting on the splash screen... I uninstalled it and when I reinstalled it nothing changed... Why? My phone has 3GB of ram."

I have Windows 10 for a few years now, and I fear that if I say "yes," then I may lose my Skype account, as well as all of my contacts. Can anyone who has already updated their Skype tell me if what I'm doing is the right thing?
                    You'll probably want to try posting this in S&T instead, they'd likely be of better help to you on this one

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&D6th Gen
                    Old 1 Week Ago (5:28 AM).
                    Cobble Badge
                    • Platinum Tier
                    • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BadSheep View Post
                    hey guys

i need someone who is willing to talk with me through PM

its something really, really personal, so if you aren't up to it please dont even bother replying to this. I understand.

i just have some stuff I need to get off of my chest and I wont do it publicly, nor can I use anyone in real life

Edit: i know this might sound weird, but it needs to be a male that talks to me
                    Hi
                    You know you can always talk to me smh

Old 1 Week Ago (7:40 AM).
                    Vampire Waifu

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Nah View Post
                      You'll probably want to try posting this in S&T instead, they'd likely be of better help to you on this one
                      The problem is that it doesn't have its own Help & Advice thread, which is why I post it here instead.
                      Old 1 Week Ago (7:47 AM).
                      • Platinum Tier
                      • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                      The problem is that it doesn't have its own Help & Advice thread, which is why I post it here instead.
                      Hello, just your friendly neighborhood S&T mod stopping by!

We took away the Help & Advice thread due to the fact it was underutilized, and our solution was to reinstate the [Help] prefix for assistance threads. Please post any tech issues in S&T next time and use that prefix instead of using this thread, thanks. :]

Old 1 Week Ago (7:55 AM).
                      The Master of Pokemon Breeding
                      • Crystal Tier

I was wondering something. I noticed whenever I heat a corn-dog in my microwave the cornbread around the hot-dog always splits open. But if I heat it for less time it's too cold to eat. How do I heat a corn-dog in the microwave without the corn-bread splitting open?

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
                      Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
                      Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
                      Old 1 Week Ago (7:52 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Tsutarja.
                      • Platinum Tier
                      • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
                      I was wondering something. I noticed whenever I heat a corn-dog in my microwave the cornbread around the hot-dog always splits open. But if I heat it for less time it's too cold to eat. How do I heat a corn-dog in the microwave without the corn-bread splitting open?
                      Follow the corn dog's microwaving directions? I mean, I'm not sure how else to describe it without getting into the science of why it happens.

The reason the corn dog batter breaks open is due to the moisture content. The molecules being generated by the microwave's radiation react to the moisture content, thus evaporating from water into steam. When you don't have enough heat, the water molecules will still be packed closely with one another and won't feel warm at all. When you apply too much heat, the moisture becomes evaporated and sucked out from the contents, thus why the breading can break open more easily.

Old 6 Days Ago (7:05 PM).
                      I'm baaaaaaaaad
                      • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Lax
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
                      Hi
                      You know you can always talk to me smh
                      I didnt want to send you something sensitive without warning, which is why I posted here. Anyways, I'm feeling a lot better now (I think I got a lot of it out messaging another member here) and I think I have a good mindset going forward, but if you want to know what happened Ill tell you in a PM. Telling others seems to help me.

Signature by Nah

Quick Reply