• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New story, same old region

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 30, 2023
TL;DR: I am looking for hacks placed in the Hoenn region where you don't play the vanilla story.

I am a huge fan of Pokemon Emerald and hacks related to Pokemon Emerald. The game, as well as FireRed and Ruby, has a huge nostalgia factor for me. Therefore the hacks I enjoy the most are those set in the same region. I even bought a 3DS back in the day just to play Omega Ruby, that's how nostalgic I get to the region. That being said, I have many hacks with QoL features and that raises the challenge level, but I haven't found that many with a new (good) story in the same region. It seems that most hacks set in Hoenn start you of in Littleroot, which is a shame. Any suggestions for a game would be much welcomed.

I'll give some examples that roughly fit the criteria:
Pokemon Rocket Edition - this is my favorite hack. The story is the same as in FireRed, just from a different perspective, but the story is still so different from the main game that I love it. It uses the same old story to tell a new one, which is it's greatest strength. The stealing pokemon mechanic is fun, but the pokemon feel super disposable (which is kinda the point). I would like to try a game with as good a story in the Hoenn region where you catch and train the pokemon yourself.

Pokemon Wally Edition - I am playing this one right now. It's alright, but the story doesn't deviate enough that so that it feels fresh. Nearly all NPCs have the exact same dialog, and it doesn't feel that much different. To be fair to this game, I have only played to fourth gym, so maybe it changes pace after this. Also, I am not that much of a fan of the player character having dialog.

Pokemon Glazed - As this one takes you to Johto too. Here the region has changed, so it doesn't feel like a carbon copy of the original. It's late in the game though, so it doesn't feel as fleshed out as the main region. It feels kinda like Kanto did in Gold/Silver.

I would very much like to create a hack like this myself, and I am slowly learning the hacking techniques to reach this goal. Something like a game where you start in a new village east of route 123, set to 3-4 years after the main games, where you battle the gyms in a different order and a whole new story unfolds.

Back