• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Rose of Team Magma

Years
Awesome, It's good to be back with Rose! I've got some catching up to do, hopefully this week I can indulge myself in every chapter. I just read Chapter 5, a nice long chapter too!

Rose's nervous ambiguous feelings about going to Rostboro to attack her home are understandable, and I think you did well communicating a variety of emotions, and in a dialogue that's mostly in her head at that. Maxie chose the place dearest to her heart to test her loyalty I think. It seems appropriate to what a cult leader would do. I know he has business in Rostboro, but it being Rose who goes just doesn't feel accidental to me.

My eyes lit up when you mentioned the submarine ride. We have Magma, who is fire, taking a trip through water, and I like it! The little kid in me wants to sneak inside that submarine and see some more of what's going on in there, and check what all the chamber's look like. I hope I get another underwater ride, where I can explore this place skme more.

It's fun to see Courtney take a mentor role of sorts, be it a dark one.

I think it is really neat that you added the game dynamics of exchanging money for a loss battle. I hadn't seen anyone do that before. I adore the whole game-like structure where we identify trainers by their class, something about that is just cute, self-referential.

Fighting the beauty trainer and her grass pokemon is like Rose looking into a mirror. That could have been Rose.

You have a lot of really detailed and strong battle scenes, as well as a detailed picture of Rose's mental state, and the vibes of depression and the humiliation that come over her as she encounters her fellow trainers, and the conflict she feels because genuinely believes she is making sacrifices in the name of a good cause.

A nice, emotional scene between Clair and Rose. I can feel the tension. I wonder if Clair will return in future? Hmmmm... I think she is interesting enough that she she could be someone who continues to eat away at Rose's guilt. What if she who got in Team Magma's away and fought them and they decide to eliminate her? How would Rose react? Would stand by torn? Try to save her? Personally kill her? What if Clair tried to meet with Rose again to convince her change her ways and come back? Or what if Clair was kidnapped and they tried to make another Rose of Magma from Clair? I just like this character, even your smaller characters interest me, there's enough to spin-off into something more one day if you ever have need of a sequel. :)

I love this chapter, and the Rose of Team Magma. Your work gets better, and better. I'm checking out Chapter 6 now, update pending. You have a beautiful tale.

P.S One last thing I loved to see officer Jenny and her hounds! The battle of fighting fire with fire :)

the_fast_reader

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
Years
Hi!
This fic immediately caught my eye for the title alone(I love anything about Team Magma and Aqua) but it took me a couple of days to catch up to the current chapter.

I like the story so far, someone coerced into joining one of the two Teams offers a unique perspective, and I hope to see more of Rose's view of what's happening to her and her interaction with other members of the Team.
(I also am already totally hoping for Ben and Sarah to end up together, I would love to see more about those two)

She seems to be going along with it for now, but what does she think about her new comrades? Does she see them as criminals? Is she conflicted about stealing and being seen as a criminal herself? Is she just going along for now and will try to escape and going back to her old life or has she joined the Magma's cause for good?

What is the public opinion/knowledge of the two Teams? In the first chapter Rose recognized them as Magma but in a following chapter it looks like she does not know who Team Aqua is.

I found that interesting since it could be possible that people in various cities of Hoenn are more familiar with the Team that's "closer" to them.

I like the way you describe Pokemon battles and Rose's strategic thinking; another thing I found interesting is how the characters identity themselves with their "trainer class". It's a unique idea and I would love to have some more worldbuilding about this: is there a in-universe reason for this or is it just for "flavor"? Are you required to specify a class when you get your Pokemon license? Do trainer of a certain "class" get things like discounts or incentives? I don't know, maybe a Bird Keeper gets a discount on buying bird feed for his Pokemon or stuff like that, ahah. I think the idea has potential to get explored more because it could lead to a very unique view on the Pokemon world.

Years
/rubs hands together
Alright! Chapter 6!

Now this is interesting Rose is rising through the ranks fast. Courtney's right hand. It seems even Courtney has a human side that likes Rose a bit...at least for now. She's such an unpredictable person.

I never thought I would see Team Magma Grunts playing pool and watching TV. It's quite amusing. Since they seem kinda naive like teens having fun it makes me want to forgive their missions to revive Groudon.

Rose being caught on the news was the last thing I expected. Uh-oh! No going back for Rose now, also her missions have just gotten more dangerous I think because now she has been publicly identified as working team Magma. Wanted posters will probably be everywhere. She's a prime target. Will Maxie throw her under the bus as damaged goods? Or are her talents the valuable to lose?

Aroma Ladies I must say are funny, in the middle of having the store robbed only an aroma lady would notice a fashion faux pas!

What is really interesting is Clair's lie. I wonder why she changed her story, especially about something petty like what Rose really said. It intrigues me. I wonder if she may have always harbored a jealousy of Rose.

It looks like Team Magma might be kinder to Rose than the rest of the world. She was kidnapped, but rather than being a prisoner this lifestyle has offered her a kind of freedom. Perhaps as a law-abiding citizen, in a clique of people like Clair who are not true friends, doing the same activities everyday in her pretty flower shop, that was the life that actually kept Rose more restricted. She might be happier as a wild rose than a domesticated one.

I enjoy this chapter very much, especially since it offers a change of pace from the many battles, and a little more humor. Good job as always!
And you have left us with two new characters for double the trouble, twins Cindy and Chloe. I think their characters are useful to show a less militant side of Team Magma. I had not considered just how many different jobs members of Team Magma might occupy.

You have really done a great job developing Team Magma as a believable organization. This could totally be the basis for an anime spin-off about Team Magma.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Chapter 9 - A Book's Cover

Rose arrived at the library and was surprised at the size of it. Tall Bookcases covered three of the four walls and a small set of chairs was set up towards the back of the room. The library was well lit but she also noted was quite dusty. She spotted a man sat at a desk in the corner of the library and went to speak to him.

'Excuse me,' Rose said. 'I am looking for a book on the Pokemon Koffing.'

The man looked up from the book he was reading and said, 'We don't have any books on Koffing specifically but we do have a book on Pokemon like Koffing.'

'A book on Poison type Pokemon?' Rose said.

The man nodded and said, 'Yes.' He produced a Pokeball in which a Spearow appeared. 'Spearow, show this lady where the book is.'

The bird Pokemon made a couple of screeching noises before flying to the other side of the library.

Rose followed the little Spearow which had perched itself on the book Rose wanted. She picked out the book and went to sit on one of the chairs. She looked at the librarian who had gone back to the book he was reading, his Spearow was stood quietly on his shoulder. She was surprised that he had taught his Pokemon where the books were. She put on her glasses and opened the book.

She turned to the contents page and there was an entry for numerous poison types. 'Koffing page 55' she said to herself. She turned to the page and started to read. She found out about Koffing's unpredictability which Maxie had mentioned and that it's evolved form was a two headed Pokemon known as Weezing. Rose tossed her Pokeball so Koffing could come out.

'Koff, Koff, Koffing.' The Poison Gas Pokemon said as he started to float happily around Rose. She petted the mine-like Pokemon and continued to read but in the corner of her eye saw the librarian's Spearow pull a book from high on the furthest bookcase. Unfortunately this caused numerous books to also fall off.

'Clumsy bird.' A familiar voice said. Rose looked up and noticed it was Cindy who picked up the book the Spearow picked out and left.

'It's ok Spearow.' The librarian said petting the tiny bird Pokemon. Books were strewn across the floor and Rose went over to the man.

'Can I help you?' She asked as he hurriedly picked up the fallen books.

The librarian stood up and nodded. He was a few inches taller than Rose and smartly dressed in a red shirt and black trousers. He had black hair which was neat but covered his ears slightly. He also wore thick glasses.

'Lilligant, Golbat, Let's help out.' Rose said.

'A Lilligant?' The man said to himself as he saw the little grass Pokemon pick up a book and give it to Golbat who put the higher books back on the shelf as his Spearow looked on as if checking they were in the right place.

Rose and the man picked up the fallen books and put them back on the lower shelves making sure the numbers were in the right order. The group worked quickly perhaps too quickly as Rose and the man grabbed the last book at the same time. They looked at each other before Rose let the man put the book away.

'Thank you for helping.' The man said. 'What did you say your name was?'

'I didn't.' Rose said. 'But my name is Rose, what's yours?'

'John.' The man said firmly. 'I've never seen a Lilligant before.'

'Lilligant was my starter Pokemon.' Rose said. 'Well, she was a Petilil.'

John nodded and said, 'Spearow was my starter from Professor Oak, I'm originally from Kanto.'

The two returned the Pokemon to their Pokeballs went to sit down and continued talking. 'I've never been to Kanto, what part are you from?' Rose asked.

'Fuchsia City.' John said. 'I've been here for a while now however. Much can be learnt from books, don't you agree?'

Rose nodded.

'Maxie wishes more grunts used the library, as do I.' The librarian said. 'Becoming more knowledgeable can only help Team Magma achieve its goal.'

'You came here from Fuchsia?' Rose asked.

'Yes and no.' John said. 'I helped at the Pokemon Trainers School before finding out about Team Magma's aims.'

'You were a Grunt?' Rose asked.

'No.' The man said. 'Maxie sent Courtney to ask me to look after the new library, not only do I get to help Pokemon but help Team Magma learn.

'I'm a Grunt.' Rose said. 'I was an Aroma Lady.'

'Pretty Petal?' John asked.

'Yes.' Rose said. 'I was the owner...before I came here.'

John nodded and said nothing. 'I must admit I never went to the Flower Shop but some of your fellow Aroma Ladies came into the Trainer school including a rude blonde lady.'

'Claire?' Rose asked.

'Yes, that was her name I think.' John said. ' But you are much nicer.'

'Thanks.' Rose said touching her glasses nervously.

John stood up and said, 'Thank you for helping again Rose.' as he went to sit at his desk. Rose followed him to his desk, got the book on Poison types stamped and said to John that they would talk tomorrow.

Rose went back to her room and her attention was caught by her mobile phone having a missed call from Claire. Rose returned the call and after two rings her fellow Aroma Lady answered,

'Delinquent Rose,' Claire said. 'You finally returned my call.'

'What do you want Claire?' Rose said.

'No need to be like that.' Claire said. 'Being the sweet and kind Lady that I am, I'm just informing you that I will be the owner of the Rustboro Flower shop since...well the day you became a criminal.' Rose could sense the sneering tone on the last sentence.

'I'll sure you will help Pretty Petal.' Rose said. 'But why did you lie on TV about what I said to you.'

Claire's sneering tone did not change as she said, 'I think people will believe an honourable lady over you and that messy girl who attacked a police officer.

Rose went to say something but was cut off by Claire.

'Now if you excuse me Rose I am off to get some beauty sleep.' She hung up and Rose was frustrated Claire was the new owner of her flower shop. She hoped Claire treated the other Aroma Ladies well.

Rose went to brush her hair to and tried to calm down. She changed into her pyjamas, brushed her hair again before sitting on her bed reading some more about Koffing until Sarah entered.

'Hey Rose.' Sarah said then paused. 'Nice hair, who are you trying to impress?'

'I just wanted a change that's all.' Rose said a little taken aback.

'I'm just going to jump in the shower. Sarah said.

Rose's mind drifted to thinking about John as she continued to read. It had been a busy day she thought to herself. Time to rest.

Razgrey

Excalibur
Years
Oh jeez. Claire just keeps finding ways to make me dislike her.
First she acts rude to Rose in person and on TV, and then goes out of her way to call Rose just to rub it in her face about who's in charge of the flower shop.
Rose seems to be taking it well, at the very least.

Initially, I had a pretty negative opinion of Team Magma, but you've made it seem like a community of people that carry out normal lives.

On a side note, I never liked Courtney's robotic personality in Omega Ruby. Nice of it to be a bit more natural.

Bay

Years
Yikes on Claire rubbing Rose's face on the phone there. I also agree that's a bit much there.

So we're introduced to a new Team Magma member. I wonder if John and the hairstylist twins will have biggers roles as we get further on the story.

Years
Happy Birthday Lily Gardy!

Your big day reminds me to take a break after work and find out what's happening to Rose. So here goes chapter 7.

This is almost surreal, Team Magma has it's own beauty salon right there in neon, and I love it. The twins are amusing. This is indeed the atmosphere of the salon, right down to the gossip.

Rose feels very consistent as a character, the little details from her past identity as an aroma lady are still there, immediately the twins notice how well-made for she is, and that there is something different about her. It looks like she's severing all ties with the past by dying her hair black.

I do want to try some of that octilery ink hair dye. Sounds artsy. It comes all the way from Kalos eh? Not surprising that the French-inspired region would be a leader in design.

The conversation with Cindy and Chloe was interesting. They don't see themselves as bad, more like an underground resistance.

You know how to leave a reader suspense at the end of the chapter. I'm all ears for what Maxie will say.

Good job, this chapter was light and fun, I'm enjoyin. You sure work fast, I'll be reading chapter 8 and 9 soon.
Thanks so much for sharing this story!

-Sam

Years
I'm reviewing Chapter 8, almost caught up!

I like how you portray the sense of community and tension on the team at the same time. Courtney was starting to like Rose I think, she was the one who praised her, yet it seems like she is becoming jealous of her too because of the attention she gets from Maxie.

I really enjoyed getting to see this more mentor-like side of Maxie to Rose and his Grunts, he knows all their names, keeps track of what they have done well, gives them pokemon to help them. I think you maintain an interesting combination of traits for him that feels right.

He's their leader, and they all admire him. It's a formal relationship, but he trusts his team. He's a teacher who can make them better.

Koffing is so cute and full of life as a character!

I hope we get to see that library in Chapter 9. I can't believe we have come through so many different chapters, you have done an excellent job sustaining your story!

Last edited:
Years
I'm still liking Koffing as a partner. He's full of character as he floats around the room like a cheerful balloon, and he makes a kind of unlikely companion or foil because Rose is so elegant and Koffing is toxic gas. It's cool that you use actual pokemon Team Magma might have.

All the pokemon at Team Magma's headquarters come to life like spearow, the cute, clumsy librarian.

John describes like he sure is dark and handsome. He also isn't the typical romantic type with that endearing nervous manner, and the glasses. It's nice have a character that might be a love interest who is smart and a lover of the library and knows science.

Wow, Claire is turning out to be a villain in the story rather Team Magma. It's an interesting turn of events.

Keep going LilyGardy! This has been a pleasure to read all 9 chapters of.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Chapter 10 - A popular battle

'Rose,' Sarah said. 'Wake up, it's nearly 7.'

Rose awoke and sat up, unknown to Sarah she had been reading the book on Poison Pokemon for a few hours after she had gone to sleep. Rose went over to the mirror to get ready. After putting on her Magma Uniform she brushed her hair into a ponytail and put on her glasses.

Sarah finished getting ready and then stood next to her friend. 'Do you know who is battling in the Gym Leader Tournament today Rose?' She asked.

Rose looked at her friend bemused.

'Flannery.' Sarah said. 'She's the Gym Leader of Lavaridge and really cool.'

Rose nodded. She had heard the name Flannery but outside of using fire Pokemon and having red hair knew little about her.

'I can't remember the name of who she's facing,' Sarah said. 'But she has blue hair in a similar style to yours.'

Before Rose could respond Sarah said, 'Selfie' and took a picture of the two of them. Rose hoped she looked good in in the picture. The two girls then headed to the kitchen.

The two ordered their breakfast (Bacon and Hash Browns with soda for Sarah, Buttered toast and a cup of tea for Rose) and sat at the table. As the two ate Sarah called Ben over to sit with them. Ben had the same breakfast items as Sarah but had coffee instead of soda.

'We need to eat quickly.' Ben said. 'Flannery's match is about to start.'

Rose nodded but said nothing as Ben and Sarah talked excitedly about the upcoming match. Rose watched the pair and noticed they were really good friends. As she finished sipping her tea she heard most of the grunts from the other tables get up and quickly leave.

'I didn't hear a Mightyena howl.' Rose said.

'They are all going to watch Flannery's match too.' Ben said as he rushed to follow them. 'She's really popular here.'

'Ben, wait up,' Sarah said as she swallowed her last hash brown whole. 'Come on Rose.' Rose finished drinking her tea before following Sarah. They briskly walked towards the TV room before being stopped by Chloe and Cindy.

'Just the person we wanted to see.' Cindy said. 'We need to talk to Sarah here about these hair pins she made.'

'I quite agree.' Chloe said as the two stood either side of Sarah. 'Perhaps she can get her hair done whilst we talk.'

'I don't want to get my hair done right now,' Sarah said. 'I...' She was cut off.

'We did Rose's hair yesterday.' Cindy said. 'Doesn't she look great?'

'Now Cindy.' Chloe said. 'I wonder if there is someone Sarah likes.'

Rose could see Sarah blushing. Luckily or perhaps unluckily for Sarah so could the beauticians.

'I think there might be,' Cindy said. 'No time to waste Sarah.' The two sisters then led Sarah to the salon. Rose felt a little sorry for Sarah but thought the two sisters were trying to help her in their own way.

Rose went to the TV room and saw many grunts sat watching the television. Rose looked around and couldn't see Ben, perhaps he was near the front. After looking around some more she saw John stood behind the grunts. Rose went to stand next to him.

'Hello Rose.' He said.

'Are you a fan of Flannery too?' Rose asked.

'Not exactly but I do enjoy watching Pokemon battles' John replied.

Rose nodded as she watched the match. She saw Flannery on the screen. She had on a pair of skinny jeans and a black t-shirt with a flame logo. Her red hair was tied back into a wild looking ponytail. Rose wondered how she got it into that style. She had a kind looking face and the Magma grunts in the room were cheering for her.

Flannery was facing a serious looking woman with blue hair. She wore a strange garment which had a pattern resembling a dragon's scales along with a cape. Her hair had been pulled into a ponytail indeed similar to the style Rose wore herself. She did not recognise the woman and asked John.

'That is Clair.' John said. 'The Dragon type leader of Blackthorn Gym in Johto.'

'Clair?' Rose said annoyed this leader had the same name as the Aroma Lady who hated her.

John nodded and said, 'Yes, whilst among the best battlers among leaders she can sometimes become complacent which cost her in the last tournament against Lady Erika of Kanto.'

Rose knew of the Celadon leader and her dedication to the Grass type. Rose too favoured grass types, after all her starter was Petilil and her Vileplume helped her greatly in her work at Pretty Petal.

Clair and Flannery sent out their Pokemon for the double battle. Flannery had Torkoal and Blaziken whilst Clair had Dragonair and her main Pokemon Kingdra. Rose noticed Clair's stern expression as she sent her Pokemon out.

As Torkoal's Drought activated Flannery's Blaziken moved first aiming for the seahorse Pokemon with High Jump Kick. Blaziken readied it's move leaping high in the air and heading straight for Kingdra.

'Kingdra Whirlpool.' Clair said firmly. Rose noticed her arms were folded, almost too calm.

Kingdra let out a yawn causing a whirlpool to appear in front of it. Blaziken had too much momentum to evade the whirlpool and landed in it and was thrown off course as a result. Blaziken's trajectory was altered causing it to crash into the floor.

Flannery stood a little frustrated as her opponent smiled slightly.

Next to move was Dragonnair who used Dragon Breath and aimed it towards Torkoal. Torkoal took the attack and then used Yawn on the Dragonair.

'As a result of that move Dragonnair will fall asleep at the end of the next turn.' John said. 'Why Kingdra's Yawn does not cause Pokemon to fall asleep is unknown.'

Rose nodded and continued to watch the battle.

During the next turn Blaziken moved first and charged headfirst into Clair's Kingdra using Brave Bird knocking the Dragon Pokemon back, Rose noticed that Blaziken had also hurt itself a little.

Clair's Kingdra remained calm however and responded by using Surf. A stream of water swamped the battlefield hitting all three of the Pokemon on the field. Whilst Dragonnair was unfazed by the water damage Blaziken and Torkoal both took significant damage. Blaziken already weakened was swept away by the stream and fainted, Torkoal did its best to hold firm. Torkoal used Earth Power on Kingdra causing the ground beneath the Dragon type to shake. Kingdra closed it's eyes and concentrated as it endured the critical hit.

As Clair's Kingdra fell asleep Rose looked around the room and saw that her fellow grunts were frustrated that Flannery was losing. Clair smiled, she could sense victory.

The next turn Clair ordered Kingdra to use Outrage. The Dragon Pokemon rammed into Torkoal causing the Fire Turtle to collapse to the ground defeated. Clair had won the battle much to the chagrin of the grunts.

Rose could hear the grunts talking amongst themselves about the battle when John said to Rose, 'The Pokemon Clair uses was always going to be a difficult match-up for Flannery, I am going to the library, Do you want to come?' Rose noticing the grunts may not be in the best of moods due to Flannery's loss nodded and followed the librarian.

They arrived at the library and John went to sit behind his desk as Rose pet Spearow. 'How are you finding the book on Poison types Rose?' John asked.

Rose smiled and said, 'I have not finished reading it yet but it is helping me learn about my new Pokemon.' As she said this her Koffing jumped out of his Pokeball and happily circled Rose.

'Koffing is the Poison Gas Pokemon,' John said. 'On very rare occasions different coloured gas expels from it's body.'

'What causes it to be a different colour?' Rose asked.

'If it is shiny,' John answered. 'I think there is another time it occurs too.'

Koffing rested on Rose's shoulder and said 'Koffing.' cheerfully. Rose smiled at the purple Pokemon.

She looked around and noticed that her and John were the only ones in the library. 'Do the grunts come here?' She asked.

'They do.' John said 'But they normally just check out the book they need and go but Courtney does sit in one of the chairs over there to read sometimes.'

'Courtney?' Rose asked.

'Yes.' The librarian said. 'She does not really say anything to me though, I think she likes the quiet.'

Rose nodded as Koffing slept on her shoulder. 'Um,' Rose said. 'This library is a little dusty, do you mind if I clean it for you.'

'Of course you can.' John said a little embarrassed. 'It's tough for just me and Spearow to clean.'

Rose smiled and sent out her Lilligant. 'Lilligant, you know what to do.'

The Flowering Pokemon said 'Gant.'

Rose thought for a moment and said, 'Golbat please help Spearow.'

Golbat was sent out of her Pokeball and placed itself next to Spearow.

Rose, John and their Pokemon diligently cleaned the library. Rose and Lilligant were doing the bulk of the work as they were working quicker than the others. John watched Rose intently, he liked that she was being positive and was helping the team. John had perhaps watched Rose a little too long as Rose saw him watching her and blushed.

Once the library was clean the pair fed their Pokemon some treats for doing a good job. The Pokemon ate their treats well and Lilligant returned to her Pokeball. Rose and John could see Spearow and Golbat. Golbat gestured to Rose that she wanted to stay outside her Pokeball, it seemed she wanted to spend more time with Spearow. Koffing happily floated next to Rose saying 'Koffing.' cheerfully.

'Koffing seems to really like you Rose,' John said. 'We have audiobooks here including one on Koffing by Professor Oak. Would you like to listen to it?'

'Yes.' Rose said as she went to pet the Poison Gas Pokemon 'This is about you Koffing.'

'Koffing.' The purple Pokemon said happily.

Rose sat next to John and they listened to the audiobook of Professor Oak's Pokemon Talk:

'DJ Mary here and welcome to Professor Oak's Pokemon Talk and here's the Professor himself, Professor Samuel Oak....'

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Flannery and Clair is an interesting matchup there, like that you reference the World Tournament. I can perhaps see Courtney using the library from what I remembered her in the games. I feel there should be a bit more happening to move the plot forward, but this still suffice as another enjoyable slice of life with the Magma grunts.

Years
Sarah feels like she is based on a real person. She's familiar like someone I know. Poor thing, kidnapped by beauticians and her crush obvious to everyone!

I really like the inclusion of the Gym leaders tournament, the world tournament was always one of my favorite parts of bw2. It's been a delight to see how your writing continues to evolve as the story progresses, I think chapter 10 is the best one yet. The way you described the battle was just thrilling, all of the detail, hidden abilities going off, and the status conditions, switching Pokemon in and out. I felt like I was there.

You paused at a good point. I'm leaning into the radio, listening to DJ Mary, curious about what professor Oak is going to say.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Chapter 11 - Rose and Courtney

Rose and John sat down and listened to Oak talk about the Pokemon Koffing. He explained how it harboured noxious gases and that it was a temperamental Pokemon. Rose's attention was diverted briefly by John's Spearow flying around a little awkwardly. Her Golbat watched it intently.

Rose continued to listen to the radio show as Oak explained Koffing's evolution into Weezing. Oak noted how Koffing's expression changes when it evolves, whether it represents Weezing's actual mood is unknown.

Before Rose could listen to any more of the radio show a voice shouted, 'Rose.' It was Courtney.

Rose looked up as the Magma Admin walked towards them before saying, 'I need to talk to you about tomorrow.'

Rose said goodbye to John before following Courtney.

'Rose, as you will be stood with me I need you to be at your best.'
Rose nodded.
'We will meet Tabitha at Mt Mortar once he has obtained the meteorite.'
Rose nodded again.

The two continued to walk until they arrived in the main hall. Rose had been here before when Maxie was giving instructions on the previous raid but she was still struck by the scale of the room.

The Magma admin sat down on the edge of the stage, she gestured to Rose to do the same.

She took her hood down before saying, 'I was surprised at how well you fought at your flower shop.'

Rose listened.

'I thought you'd be easy to defeat flower girls,' Courtney said. 'But you were able to stop us.'

'Yes,' Rose said. 'I wanted to protect the shop and the other Aroma Ladies but why did you take me?'

'It's quite simple,' Courtney said. 'I wanted revenge for my defeat, I wanted you to struggle but...'

She looked directly at Rose.

'I have again been surprised at how well you have done, Maxie tells me he is impressed with you.'
Rose nodded, happy that the Team Magma leader was pleased with her.

Courtney looked up at the ceiling before saying, 'Show me your Pokemon.'

Rose threw the Pokeballs containing Koffing and Golbat. Golbat looked at Courtney as Koffing happily circled Rose before levitating by her shoulder.

Courtney seemed impassive and said, 'All of your Pokemon.'

Rose threw the Pokeballs containing Lilligant and Vileplume.

Courtney looked at the Pokemon paying special attention to Vileplume.

As she looked at Rose's Pokemon Lilligant cheerfully said 'Gant.' Courtney looked at Lilligant briefly and was that a smile? If it was it left as quick as it arrived.

Courtney said, 'As you know, I was impressed with how you fought at your flower shop.'

Rose listened.

'As an extra order,' Courtney said, 'I would like you to find me a Gloom.'

'But Courtney,' Rose said before being cut off.
'I would simply like to have one.' The Magma Admin said. 'I'm sure you will be able to find one easily.'

Rose nodded.

Courtney pulled on her hair before saying, 'It struck me as odd that I found your Vileplume and the other ladies' Gloom to be nice smelling but the Grunts insist they smell foul.'

Rose shook her head and said, 'Gloom especially are known to smell, it's part of the Pokemon.'

Koffing continued to happily levitate by Rose's shoulder as Courtney thought for a moment.

'Talking of those ladies have any of them contacted you since you joined us.'

'Just Claire,' Rose said. 'To mock and insult me.'

Courtney smiled, 'So none have asked about you.'
Rose shook her head.

Courtney smiled again before laughing.

Rose then asked, 'What do you know about Team Aqua?'

'They go against everything Team Magma stand for.' Courtney said 'Archie is the leader, His right hand man Matt and...' Her eyes flashed.

Rose was silent unsure what to say.

'Shelley,' Courtney said firmly, 'We used to be friends, a long time ago.'

Rose wondered what caused Courtney and Shelley to break their friendship but decided it best not to pry.

'Team Aqua and Team Magma have very different ideals,' Courtney said as she sat beside her.

'Maxie thinks they will be in our way tomorrow.'

Courtney looked directly at Rose as she said, 'I need you to be at your best Rose especially if Team Aqua appear.'

Rose nodded and said, 'I will be.'

'Good.' Courtney said as a smile flickered again. 'You seem to be popular among the other Grunts too.'

Rose nodded.

Courtney tapped her hair before saying, 'You have changed your hairstyle to fit in.'

'Yes.' Rose said as she pulled her ponytail. 'But not to fit in, to try something different, I have never had black hair before.'

'No.' Courtney said.

'You have dyed your hair too.' Rose said. 'The purple looks good on you.'

Courtney smiled again surprised at the compliment before saying, 'I like it this way.'
Courtney shook her head, stood up and said, 'I will see you tomorrow Rose.'

Rose said goodbye to Courtney and left the hall.

As Rose left she was a little nervous about tomorrow but excited too. She continued thinking until she reached the tv room. She went in and saw the Grunts all watching the television. They were watching a match in the Pokemon World Tournament where a purple haired woman in an elegant dress was using her Ghost Pokemon to battle a giant man's Raichu. She watched the match for a moment before deciding to go to her room.

She arrived at her room and saw Sarah's uniform lying on her roommates bed. Rose took her hair down and changed into her pyjamas as she decided to get an early night. She smiled as she saw her Koffing float to the top of the wardrobe before resting. She closed her eyes, tomorrow was going to be an intriguing day.

Bay

Years
Courtney looked up at the ceiling before saying, 'Show me your Pokemon.'

Rose threw the Pokeballs containing Koffing and Golbat. Golbat looked at Courtney as Koffing happily circled Rose before levitating by her shoulder.

Courtney seemed impassive and said, 'All of your Pokemon.'

Rose threw the Pokeballs containing Lilligant and Vileplume.

I feel this bit is missing Rose's reaction when Courtney asked her for all her Pokemon including Lilligant and Vileplume. Did she flinch or feel goosebumps upon Courtney asking that, for instance.

'They go against everything Team Magma stand for.' Courtney said 'Archie is the leader, His right hand man Matt and...' Her eyes flashed.

Rose was silent unsure what to say.

'Shelley,' Courtney said firmly, 'We used to be friends, a long time ago.'

Okay, now I'm curious over their backstory and what causes them to drift apart. Maybe they're actually bitter exes um what did I say

Years
This is giving me some nostalgia. Reminding me of the Johto games, listening to Prof Oak for Pokemon Talk on the radio. And it's fitting that it would be the Koffing line getting highlighted.

I like the way you're slowly letting Courtney warm up to to Rose. I thought it was very good writing when Lilligant is chipperly talking, and Rose *almost* saw Courtney smile. Courtney looked at Lilligant briefly and was that a smile? If it was it left as quick as it arrived.

I thought it was intriguing that Courtney made a point that Rose's Vileplume and the Gloom in the flower shop smelled much better tham she expected. This Pokemon line doesn't always some bad. Vileplume I think might smell good, but even Gloom, who is known for an abhorrent smell is said to not release the bad aroma if it's with someone with whom it feels secure. So it makes sense that the trainer's gloom didn't smell bad in the place that was home to it. Small detail, but still thought it was cool.

There are lots of little things you do that I like. For instance in the world Tournament the elegant, purple-haired trainer with the ghost Pokemon sounds like Fantina, but you tease us by never actually revealing the name.

I'm really looking forward to the coming of Team Aqua, and discovering what happened between Courtney and Shelly, who were friends it is revealed, but turned against each other. That's an angle for a Pokemon fic I haven't read before, and am excited to see how it all unfolds.

Chapter 11 was good, and the whimsical Koffing has mantained it's place as my favorite pokemon in the story as he snuggles his way to the top of the wardrobe for a good night's rest. A good pokemon fanfiction writer like you knows how to make themselves feel alive.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Chapter 12 - Two teams collide

'Rose.' Sarah said. 'Rose wake up.'

Rose opened her eyes, ran her fingers through her hair and sat up.

'Rose,' Sarah said. 'How do I look?'

Rose turned to look at her friend who was stood by the mirror. She had her dark hair in an immaculate bob and wore a red dress, which Rose noticed she had seen before.

'You look very pretty.' Rose said. 'The dress looks great on you.'

'Thank you.' Sarah said. 'Cindy and Chloe really helped me with my hair.'

Rose put on her Team Magma Uniform before going to the mirror to check her hair. She tied her hair into a high ponytail just before Sarah pulled out her phone and stood next to her.

'Selfie.' Sarah said taking a picture of the pair. They both smiled, the picture looked good.

Sarah picked up some of the clips she had made before saying, 'Chloe and Cindy really like the hairpins I made, they want me to help them at the salon...I'm a little nervous though.'

'You'll do well.' Rose said kindly.

Sarah smiled back as the two left to go to get breakfast but they were stopped by the twin beauticians.

'Good Morning Sarah.' Chloe said. 'Time to get the salon ready.'

'I agree Chloe.' Cindy said as she gave Sarah some bottles to hold.

'But can't I eat first.' Sarah asked in confusion.

'There's food at our salon.' Chloe said touching her glasses.

'Beauty does not wait.' Cindy said as her and her twin ushered Sarah away.
Rose smiled, pleased at seeing Sarah's new role. The twins were very passionate about their salon and Rose knew they'd teach Sarah well. Rose continued towards the dining hall and joined the queue of grunts ordering breakfast. She looked at her fellow grunts, some looked enthusiastic and ready for the day, a couple were rubbing sleep out of their eyes, as she watched she was nudged by the grunt next to her.

'It's Rose right?' The grunt asked as Rose turned to look. 'Black hair really suits you.'

'Thank you,' Rose said. 'What is your name?'

'Hannah.' The grunt said. She was a little taller than Rose and had green eyes and long jet black hair. 'I'm helping Courtney today, I normally help the other admin but sometimes grunts get moved around.

Rose nodded as she chose her breakfast. She opted for some jam and toast along with a cup of tea. She went to sit at the table, Hannah followed her.
'I recognise you now,' Hannah said. 'You were the Flower Shop Owner, my mom likes visiting your shop, you were always so helpful.'

Rose smiled at the praise as she thought to herself. The flower shop seemed so far away now, Claire made sure she couldn't go back, did she want to?
'Rose, you ok?' Hannah said.

'Yes.' Rose replied. 'I'm just thinking about what will happen today.

Hannah smiled and ate some cereal. Rose then asked, 'What did you used to do before joining Team Magma?'

Hannah thought for a moment and said, 'I worked in the Berry Gardens just before Mt Pyre, it was nice but a little boring.' She put her hood up. 'It's a good atmosphere here, and I am intrigued by Maxie's vision.'

Rose nodded as she sipped her tea. She noted to herself that Hannah had style and it was nice to meet someone who used to do a job similar to her own. Just as she was finishing her tea she heard a Mightyena's howl.

'To the hall we go.' Hannah said standing up as grunts around them starting leaving. Rose looked around, a fair few of the grunts still looked tired, some were awkwardly eating their breakfast on the way to the hall. Rose decided to leave her toast and checked her hair was tied up.
'Rose, let's go.' Hannah said with a sense of urgency. Rose nodded as she followed her fellow grunts out of the hall.

She put her hood up and walked with Hannah as Ben saw Rose and went to ask her something.
'Rose,' He asked. 'Have you seen Sarah? She missed the Flannery match and I didn't see her this morning.'

Rose thought for a moment before saying, 'She's working with Chloe and Cindy today, she was a little nervous but I'm sure she will do well.'

Ben frowned and said, 'Yes, that makes sense.' Rose could tell he really liked her friend. He dashed ahead to speak with some other grunts. Rose walked with Hannah and the other grunts to the main hall.

When she arrived at the main hall Rose was still impressed by the scale of it. The Magma logos on the walls and the banners were striking. She stood for a moment looking around the hall as the grunts sat in their allocated blocks, Tabitha's group on one side and Courtney's on the other. Rose looked at the stage and saw Maxie and the two admins stood on the stage. Courtney spotted Rose and nodded to her. Rose went to sit at the front, some of the grunts cheerfully greeted her as she sat. She smiled at them.

'As I am sure you are aware,' Maxie said. 'Both groups will be out today helping make the aim of Team Magma a reality.'

Rose nodded, around her she could hear some uncertain murmurs.

'Tabitha's group, you will be getting the meteorite from Mount Mortar,I am sure Professor Cosmo will be very helpful to you.' Maxie said firmly.

Rose listened intently.

'Courtney's group you will be heading out to gain information on the weather institute.' He paused. 'It is known that many Pokemon are affected by the weather, Groudon is among them, a key knowledge of this will greatly help us in our goal.'

Rose continued to listen and looked at Courtney. She looked very serious and in deep concentration. 'Members of Team Magma,' Maxie said. 'Do all you can to aid us in our goal.' He spoke with authority, akin to a wise teacher.

He looked to Courtney to his right before glancing at Tabitha on his left before saying, 'Admins, you know what to do.'

Rose noted Courtney nodded enthusiastically whilst Tabitha was more reserved responding with a single nod. Maxie left the stage before Courtney walked towards her group. She gave the group instructions on their various roles before turning to Rose and saying, 'Rose, stand by my side.'

Rose did so as Courtney nodded to her group as they left the hall and headed towards the Team Magma Submarine. Rose checked her hair was securely tied under her hood as she walked. 'Rose, focus.' Courtney said. The group followed Courtney into the submarine.

Rose looked around, the submarine was bigger than it looked on the outside. The admin called over Ben and pointed towards the cockpit, he would be piloting the submarine. Courtney turned to the assembled grunts and said, 'Remember we get what we need to get and..,' She closed her eyes as she paused. 'No one gets hurt.'

The grunts nodded to the Admin as she turned to Rose. She said, 'Rose, your Pokemon...use Koffing and Golbat.'

'I will.' Rose said wondering why Courtney was nervous. 'Who will we be battling?'

'Whoever stands in our way,' She said. 'Remember you are Team Magma.' Courtney said firmly.

'Yes Courtney.' Rose said as the admin smiled briefly. She looked around the grunts were talking in their social groups, some had taken their hoods down, Rose checked her hair under her hood again.

'Your hair looks fine.' Courtney said with slight frustration.

Rose smiled unsure how to respond. The submarine travelled for a few moments then it was rammed by an unknown object causing some members of Team Magma to stumble. Courtney and Rose both landed on their backs and their hoods fell.
'What the,' The admin said as she regained her balance.

'Team Aqua?' Rose asked as she herself stood up. The submarine was rammed again, Rose caught Courtney and was able to keep her balance.

Courtney steadied herself and using Rose for support readied a Pokeball, the submarine was rocking. Her face turned stern when she heard a laugh. The grunts looked around in bemusement, Rose readied herself, this would be her first meeting with Team Aqua.

Courtney's grip of Rose's shoulder tightened as a beautiful young woman with long black hair with blue highlights arrived onto the submarine followed by several Team Aqua grunts. The grunts all had bandanas and wore somewhat pirate like gear. The woman had a pair of goggles on her head and a two piece blue outfit.
'Shelly.' Courtney said with clear frustration.

'Why of course Courtney.' The woman said. 'I always love to see my friend hahaha.' She chuckled.

'We are not friends.' Courtney said now gripping Rose's shoulder more tightly.

'Indeed,' Shelly said tossing her hair, 'But don't pretend it was your choice.' She laughed again.

Rose could tell Courtney was getting upset and said, 'What do you want Shelly?'

Shelly looked at Rose smiled and said, 'A Magma Grunt speaking directly to me, interesting,' She tossed her hair again before saying 'Surely you know that we are in opposition...enough talking Grunts attack.'

The Aqua grunts all threw their Pokeballs, several Poochyena, Zubar, Grimer and a rough looking fish Pokemon appeared.
'Grunts counter.' Courtney ordered as Shelley walked towards her and Rose. The grunts were battling all over the submarine, the submarines alarm was flashing red, Zubat were flying around all over, as Numel repelled the rough fish Pokemon, Poochyena ran into each other as the grunts battled.

With the alarms still flashing Shelly shouted to a male grunt, 'You there, over here.'

'Yes Miss Shelly' The grunt said.

'Rose.' Courtney said. 'By my side.'

Rose nodded as she readied a Pokeball.

'Sharpedo go.' Shelly said as the Aqua grunt beside her threw out a Zubat.

'Camerupt, let's do this.' Courtney said, as the camel Pokemon let out a loud cry.

Rose thought for a moment and said, 'Let's go Koffing.' The purple mine like Pokemon happily said 'Koffing.'

Shelley's Sharpedo moved first as she ordered it to use Waterfall on Camerupt, Camerupt made a frustrated sound as he was hit but looked undeterred. The grunts Zubat then used Astonish on Rose's Koffing who didn't even flinch.

'Koffing use Assurance on Zubat,' Rose said. Koffing slammed hard into Zubat's body pushing it into the roof of the submarine before falling straight down defeated. Meanwhile Camerupt let out a roar as it took in sunlight.

Shelley pulled on her hair covering her eye. 'You are stronger than you look Magma grunt.' She said before laughing. 'No matter, Sharpedo now bite on Koffing.'

'Koffing,' Rose said a little worried for her Pokemon. 'Use Smokescreen.' The purple mine Pokemon did so causing Sharpedo to only graze it.

Courtney touched the horns on her hood before saying 'Camerupt, Solar Beam.' With the move fully charged the camel Pokemon fired a green beam right into Sharpedo's open mouth knocking it back and it was caught by Shelly.

'I guess I underestimated you Courtney.' Shelly said. 'Magma Grunt, what is your name?'

'My name is Rose.' Rose said.

'Rose, hmmm,' Shelly said. 'You and your Koffing fought well. I am sure we will meet again hmmm.' She turned around and shouted, 'Grunts
grab your Carvanha we are moving out.' The Aqua grunts quickly followed Shelly's orders as they left the submarine.

The alarm was still flashing red and started to let out a screeching noise.
'Courtney,' Hannah said. 'The sub, it's filling with water.'

Courtney nodded and shouted, 'Everyone please stay calm.' as some of the grunts were obviously panicking.

The water kept pouring in and Rose noted her Koffing was floating on the top of the water. 'Koffing.' She said as she leant over and held onto her Pokemom

'Rose,' Courtney said noticing her. The water was still coming in, the submarine was going to sink. Courtney placed both hands on Koffing. They were now both using Koffing as a buoyancy aid.

'Everyone, grab onto your Koffings.' Rose shouted over the alarm.

Numerous cries of 'Koffing' were heard as the grunts did so. It appeared not everyone had a Koffing as the grunts were either two or even three to a Koffing. Courtney was a little surprised, did Rose just give an instruction?

'Out of the submarine, hold your breath and to the surface.' Courtney yelled at the top of her voice. The grunts, Courtney and Rose did so, as they headed up to the water's surface. 'We've lost the sub, Maxie will not be pleased.' Courtney said.

Rose nodded and said, 'Yes, but everyone got out safely,' She looked at Koffing who was floating happily. 'Where are we?'

'I see the electric gym in the distance.' Courtney said squinting her eyes. 'Grunts towards Mauville, watch out for Tentacool' Rose, Courtney and the grunts all started to paddle as quick as they could until they reached Mauville with their clothes completely soaked. 'Grunts, Koffing back in their Pokeballs, we don't want any to explode.' The Koffing all went inside their Pokeballs except Rose's Koffing who happily levitated beside her.

'Thank you Koffing.' Rose said hugging him. The Poison Gas Pokemon smiled happily.

'Courtney, how will we get to the weather institute now.' A grunt asked.

'We cannot today.' Courtney said. 'We need a new sub, more importantly is everybody here.'

The grunts all looked and nodded at each other, some had taken their hoods down. 'I think so Courtney.' Hannah said.

Courtney looked up, 'Rose count the grunts, there's 16 including you.' She took her own hood down. 'Grunts line up'

The Grunts all lined up as Rose counted and then counted again before nodding and she said, '16 grunts including me.' She said.

Courtney nodded and batted her fringe to one side. 'Rose, walk beside me,' She said. 'Grunts behind us.' Rose did as Courtney said and noted the Admin's focused expression.

'To the Pokemon Centre,' Courtney said. The grunts followed as Rose saw her Koffing float beside her shoulder. Courtney looked at Rose and Koffing with some intrigue as the group passed the Ribbon Emporium. 'Grunts, hoods up.' She said firmly.

All the Grunts and Rose put their hoods up as Courtney did the same. Rose noted Mauville was a well developed city, was the Electric Gym providing the power she wondered. She saw a girl with bobbed blonde hair outside the Gym likely a trainer. As the group turned right she saw a woman in a green dress, she had dark brunette hair pulled into a chignon bun. Rose recognised her and looked down.

The group arrived at the Pokemon Centre and Courtney told the grunts to go heal their Pokemon. 'Will Nurse Joy heal our Pokemon?' Rose asked.

'She will,' Courtney said. 'Nurse Joys see us the same as everyone else as long as we don't threaten the Pokemon Centres, It's Jennys that don't like us.'

Rose nodded at Courtney and saw the woman in the green dress coming towards her. It was Helen, an Aroma Lady at Pretty Petal and Rose's friend.

'Rose,' Helen said. 'Is that you?'

Rose nodded.

'You've joined them,...' Helen said. 'You and the girl who tried to destroy us are on the same side, I thought Claire was lying when she said you joined them but you have.' The Aroma Lady was a little flustered.

'My name is Courtney,' Courtney said. 'Don't worry, Rose is a good member of Team Magma.'

Helen looked at Koffing next to Rose. 'Is that your Pokemon Rose? Where is Lilligant?'

'Yes, Koffing is my Pokemon.' Rose said. 'He's friendly and helpful, I still have Lilligant and Vileplume.'

'Koffing is not a cute Pokemon.' Helen said. 'He's not good for plants.'

Koffing felt down at hearing and playfully bumped into Rose knocking her hood down to cheer himself up.

'Your hair,'Helen said. 'Black and just pulled back, I don't know you anymore Rose.' Helen said turning around and walking towards the Poke Mart.

Rose pet Koffing as Courtney asked, 'Are all your Aroma Lady friends like that?'

Rose was quiet in thought, since she had joined Team Magma Claire had been mocking her, Helen had said she didn't recognise her and the other Aroma Ladies at the Flower Shop had not even tried to contact her. 'I think so,' Rose said. 'At least now.'

Courtney nodded and said, 'Koffing clearly likes you a lot, I will be sure to tell Maxie, remember he said Koffing were unpredictable and not for beginners.'

Rose nodded as the grunts left the Pokemon Centre their Pokemon now fully healed. Rose counted the Grunts again making sure everyone was present when Courtney's phone rang.

'Courtney,' A man said. 'We are in the trouble at Mount Mortar, the Dewford Leader...'

'You lost to Brawly Tabitha,' Courtney said in frustration. 'What happened?'

'It's not just Brawly,' Tabitha said. 'A large man is helping him.'

'Brawly is helping Matt of Team Aqua.' Courtney said.

'It's not Matt,' He said. 'It's someone with a Pokemon holding concrete.'

'Concrete,' Rose said. 'That sounds like Marshal of the Unova Elite Four.'

'Rose says it's an Elite Four member, move out.' Courtney said.

'Elite Four.' Tabitha said. 'Group retreat.' He hung up.

'What's an Unova Elite Four member doing in Hoenn?' Courtney asked.

'I know little of Marshal other than he is a student of Alder, the Champion of Unova and spends a lot of time training.' Rose said.

'Maxie will not be pleased,' Courtney said looking down. 'Both groups have failed.'

Rose shook her head and said, 'It was not your fault our sub got a leak, we managed to get everyone safe.'

Courtney nodded at Rose, she had a point. She looked around and saw Hannah eating a lava cookie.

'You do know they are for Pokemon Hannah.' Courtney said shaking her head.

'But they are so tasty.' Hannah said. 'Don't you agree Rose.'

'I guess they are,' Rose said. 'But I'd rather give mine to Koffing.' She did so and the mine Pokemon span around his trainer happily before sitting in Rose's arms.

'Rose beside me, Grunts behind me.' Courtney said. 'We are heading back, eat what is available, we are walking back.'

The grunts and Rose did as Courtney instructed as did Rose who was carrying Koffing. The group left Mauville and started to head home. Courtney looked at Rose and smiled.

Bay

Years
Oh finally some confrontation between Teams Magma and Aqua! This is probably me, but I wonder how a Pokemon can use Solar Beam in a submarine. Inside gym I can get if there's like an above glass ceiling to get sunlight from. Submarine on the other hand you're in deep sea. Again though, I'm thinking too much haha.

Oof over another of Rose's friends angry with her joining Team Magma. I'm still having a bit trouble figuring out Rose's feelings upon her friends' reaction to all this. Did she feel some reget? Did she want them to realize that she's still the same despite in Team Magma now?

Huh, didn't expect Marshal to show up in Hoenn. I also wonder what his role is here.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Chapter 13 - Battling back to the base

The group walked through Mauville City as shoppers nervously passed them. They passed the ribbon syndicate and the Game Corner which was closed. Courtney looked back at the grunts and nodded just before her phone rang.

'Courtney we have a situation,' A female grunt said. 'The Professor has got away and...'

'I thought I told you to get out of Mt Mortar as there is an Elite Four member there.' Courtney said in frustration.

'Yes Courtney but...' The female grunt said. 'The Elite Four member challenged Tabitha to a battle and easily defeated him.'

Courtney shook her head and asked, 'And where is Tabitha now?'

'He just ran,' The grunt said. 'What do we do now?'

'Follow my instructions.' Courtney said. 'Return to the hideout, Maxie will be very angry with Tabitha.' Courtney pulled on one of the horns on her hood before turning to Rose.

'Rose, keep an eye on the grunts as I give directions to the other team.' Courtney said as she took her hood down.

Rose nodded and turned to face the grunts as she let her Koffing levitate besides her. 'Grunts please follow Courtney and me to our hideout, as she mentioned eat what we have available.'

The grunts nodded as they put their phones in their pocket and took out their snacks, many of the group had Lava Cookies whilst others had what looked like candy bars. Rose took her hood down and checked her hair as she wondered why so many of the grunts were eating sweets. 'Golbat fly behind the group to make sure nobody falls behind.'

'Bat, Bat.' Golbat said as she flew over the grunts before flying calmly behind them.

Rose heard the grunts murmuring amongst themselves, were they talking about her? She had given instructions to others before when she was an Aroma Lady but back then she only had 4 employees but now here she was giving orders to a much larger number. She tightened her ponytail, looked at her Pokemon which Maxie had given her, looked at the grunts and nodded to them.

The group left Mauville City and headed towards the Magma base.

Courtney was in conversation with the other group as Rose walked by her side with the grunts following. She looked around as they passed some trainers who averted their gaze.

The group continued to walk until two Pokemon Rangers jumped in front of them, one male and one female.

'Pokemon Ranger Christian here, my partner is Pokemon Ranger Sally.' The man said pulling on his glove.

'Pokemon Ranger Sally, here to protect Pokemon and the environment.' Her and Christian threw out their Pokeballs which held Breloom and Cacturne respectively.

Courtney was still on the phone and put it in her pocket for a moment. She nodded at Rose before saying 'Camerupt go.' The Camel Pokemon appeared.

'Koffing, I choose you.' Rose said as the little mine Pokemon happily took to the battlefield.

Christina pulled on her hat as Breloom moved first using Mach Punch inflicting a little damage on Camerupt, Christian's Cacturne followed suit using Sucker Punch on Courtney's Pokemon. Rose looked at Courtney and the two nodded.

'Koffing use Sludge on Breloom.' Rose said.

'Koff Koff ing.' Koffing said as he expelled a stream of dark sludge out of his mouth which covered the Breloom. The Breloom let out a cry before falling.

'Breloom return.' Christina said pulling on her hat as Rose congratulated Koffing.

'Camerupt, Eruption.' Courtney said pointing at Cacturne.

Without saying a word Camerupt fired out lava from its humps which easily defeated Cacturne. The Cactus Pokemon fainted and Christian looked down. 'It seems we underestimated you Magma.' He said.

'Indeed we did,' Christina agreed as she gave Rose 300 Pokedollars for winning. 'Moving out.' She said as the pair left.

The Magma grunts excitedly talked among themselves as Courtney turned to Rose. 'Not bad Rose, not bad at all.' Rose thought she saw a flicker of a smile again as Courtney went back to being on the phone.

The group continued along the route with the grunts happily talking and eating. Rose wondered again if they were talking about her. She pulled on her ponytail before holding her Koffing in her arms again. She turned around and saw her Golbat keeping watch on the grunts and smiled, Maxie had given her a couple of great Pokemon. She hugged Koffing as the group arrived on the next route. Courtney put her phone in her pocket again, it seemed she had finished giving instructions to the other group.

Rose looked around and saw Courtney firmly in thought whilst the grunts continued to talk amongst themselves. As the group walked many of the trainers they passed gave them a wide berth but Rose and Courtney had blink and you'll miss them wins against a rich boy and a lady and a couple of collectors. Oddly the collectors only had 1 Pokemon each.

'Don't be surprised about some trainers challenging us,' Courtney said. 'We are seen as an evil team after all.'

Rose nodded to Courtney and then looked ahead where she saw a black belt and a battle girl training together. The pair looked up and adopted battle poses.

'You dare disrupt our training.' The black belt said.

'If it's a battle you want, it's a battle you will get.' The battle girl said as she tied her long blonde hair into a high ponytail. 'I am Natalie and my partner is Tyson. Medicham Go!' The pink Fighting/Psychic type appeared from it's Pokeball.

'Hariyama, It's time.' Tyson said as the large fighting type stood alongside Medicham.

Courtney and Rose nodded to each other and sent out Camerupt and Koffing respectively. Natalie readied herself and ordered Medicham to use Zen Headbutt on Koffing. The Medicham's head glowed magenta before moving quickly towards Koffing.

'Koffing dodge.' Rose said. Koffing responded quickly by floating further in the air causing the Medicham to miss. 'Now counter with Assurance. Koffing ran straight into the back of Medicham's head causing the Fighting Pokemon to visibly wobble on it's feet.

'Medicham hold on.' Natalie said noting her Pokemon seemed disorientated.

'Camerupt, Now Eruption.' Courtney said. The Camel responded by expelling a stream of boiling lava from its humps. The lava landed square on the Medicham and Hariyama, Medicham fell backwards and fainted instantly whilst Hariyama tried to hang on.

'Hariyama Vital Thr,' Tyson tried to command before seeing his Pokemon fall forward defeated. Tyson closed his eyes in reflection and said 'Natalie we must train more.'

'I agree,' His partner responded as Medicham went back in its Pokeball. 'That's a nice Koffing you got there.' She said as she gave Rose 300 Pokedollars.

'Moving out.' Tyson said as Natalie smashed a nearby rock with her foot.

'Grunts, Rose keep moving.' Courtney said before turning to Rose and saying, 'Nice work Rose.'

Rose smiled. Her and Courtney made a good team. She could hear the grunts eating as they walked, the crunch of Lava Cookies being prominent. Rose checked her hair as Koffing levitated happily beside her. The group arrived on a route coated in soot, Rose saw Skarmory flying around as Sandshrew happily played. Courtney sighed and put her hood up as they travelled down the route. Rose looked back to the grunts then looked around. She saw Ninja Boys and schoolchildren running around and, she also saw a Parasol lady seemingly dancing in the soot.

Courtney laughed and said, 'They just keep coming today.'. Rose looked forward and saw a dark haired man with a net and a beautiful blonde girl stood in their way.

'Today is a special day.' The bug Maniac said. He had on a straw hat and thick glasses, he also wore blue overalls.

'Hello, Hello,' The beauty said touching the sunglasses perched on the top of her head before putting them on. She had her hair in a blonde bob. She wore a black crop top and red fashionable trousers which Rose noted wouldn't look too out of place in Team Magma. 'Oh hey Rose long time no see.' She smiled.

'Julia, hi.' Rose said a little surprised to see the beauty again.

'You know her?' Courtney asked Rose.

'She was in my class at the trainer school.' Rose said.

'Once we defeat you Magma, Julia will go out with me.' The Bug Maniac said seemingly unaware of other conversations. He threw out a Ninjask.

'Glenn...,I...' Julia said shyly. She threw a net ball and sent out her Pokemon which glimmered when it left the Pokeball. It was a Shiny Beautifly. Julia composed herself and said, 'Let's battle Rose.'

Courtney smiled and said, 'That's not a bad idea is it Rose? I'm sure you can handle a two on one.'

Rose nodded and looked at her opponents and said, 'Koffing watch the grunts, Golbat Go.'

'Bat Bat.' Golbat said as the two Pokemon swapped places.

Rose thought for a moment as she was coming up with a battle strategy. She looked up and said, 'Golbat Wing Attack on Ninjask.'

'Bat Bat.' The Golbat said as it swung its wing quickly and aggressively at the bug. The wing landed firmly on Ninjask who span around and downwards until it crashed into the ground defeated.

'My Ninjask.' Glenn yelled as he returned it to its Pokeball.

Julia turned to the Bug Maniac and said, 'Glenn, use your special Pokemon.' She turned back to look at Rose, touched her sunglasses and said 'Sparkly now use Psychic.'

'Beauty.' The Beautifly said as a pink glow and waves emitted from its antennaes which caused Golbat to close its eyes and its wings to droop.

'Golbat, we have this.' Rose said noting the powerful attack it had just taken and that this was likely not the first time Julia has battled alongside the Bug Maniac.

'Yes Julia,' Glenn said. 'Behold my secret Bug weapon.' He threw a Pokeball which contained what looked like a floating husk of a bug Pokemon. Several of the watching grunts talked amongst themselves and one audibly said, 'What's that?'

'Shed ja,' The unknown Pokemon said floating in mid-air unmoving as its trainer and Julia both touched the sides of their glasses almost in sync.

Rose quickly looked at the two Pokemon on the other side of the field, she knew Golbat would fall if it took another Psychic from Julia's Pokemon and decided to leave the unknown husk Pokemon for now.

'Golbat, now Wing Attack on Beautifly.' Rose said pointing towards the Shiny Pokemon.

'Bat Bat Bat' Golbat said flying towards Beautifly then swinging her wing downwards striking between the antennaes. The Beautifly was knocked out on the spot and fell to the ground.

'Sparkly, you fought well, return.'

'Julia watch.' Glenn said sounding frustrated. 'Shedinja use Bug Buzz on the Bat.'

Without uttering a word a strange hollow noise emitted from Shedinja which hurt the ears as green shock waves were sent towards Golbat, Golbat appeared unharmed by this but was annoyed. She calmly lifted her wing and turned to the Shedinja.

'Bat, Gol.' The Golbat said calmly waiting for Rose's instructions.

'Golbat finish this battle with one more Wing Attack.' Rose said.

'Bat.' The Golbat said hitting a glancing blow on the bug husk. Shedinja fell instantly and Rose had won the battle.

'My secret weapon,' Glenn said. 'Just swatted aside.'

'A rare bug is still a bug.' Courtney said with a little frustration. 'Nice work Rose.'

Rose nodded and praised Golbat as Glenn threw his net to the ground and turned to his friend. 'I'm sorry we lost the battle, I just wanted you to go out with me.'

'I'd thought you'd never ask Glenn,' Julia said with a happy laugh. 'Of course I'll date you.'

The pair hugged before Julia turned to Rose and gave her 800 Pokedollars. 'Keep in touch Rose, never thought I'd see you in Team Magma.' The Beauty picked up Glenn's net, put it on her shoulder and left with the Bug Maniac hand in hand.

The grunts talked amongst themselves about the battle they had just witnessed and the heartwarming aftermath but Courtney was less touched merely saying, 'You fought well Rose, Maxie will be pleased.' Rose saw that flicker of a smile once more before Courtney said, 'Eyes front Rose.' Rose looked forward as Golbat and Koffing went back to their earlier positions.

Koffing happily levitated next to Rose as the group saw the entrance to the hideout in the distance. 'Rose ask your Koffing to use Smokescreen.' Courtney said.

Rose followed the order and said, 'Koffing Smokescreen'.

'Koffing.' Koffing happily said as he expelled a large amount of smoke from its mouth obscuring the group as Courtney swiftly opened the entrance with her admins code. The group entered the Magma hideout and Courtney ordered the grunts including Rose to stand in a block so she could address them.

'Not the way we wanted it to go today with Team Aqua invading but everyone is safe and battled well. All grunts except Rose dismissed.' Courtney said.

The grunts murmured amongst themselves as they left. Rose and Courtney were the only people in the hallway.

'I will need to discuss today's events with Maxie,' She said. 'It's been an interesting day.' She frowned.

One of Rose's Pokeballs started to shake and Rose threw it revealing her Lilligant. 'Lilligant what is it?' Rose asked.

'Gant, Gant, Lil' Lilligant said looking at Courtney.

'Lilligant wants you to pet her.' Rose said to Courtney.

'Hmmmm.' Courtney said as she did so. She pet Lilligant on the head as the corridor started to smell sweeter. Rose looked at Courtney, that was definitely a smile.

'Lilligant aromas have calming properties. Rose said.

'Hmmmm.' Courtney said happily as she pet Lilligant.

'Gant, Gant, Lil.' Lilligant said as she span around happily.

Courtney finished petting Lilligant and looked visibly calmer. 'I'm going to speak to Maxie and find out what to do after Tabitha leaving the team behind, maybe you can spend time with Watson.'

'Watson?' Rose said.

'That's what me and Maxie call him.' Courtney said. 'The boy in the library.'

'Oh John,' Rose said. 'Yes I can go help him.'

Courtney nodded before quickly heading down the corridor. 'Lilligant return.' Rose said as she headed to the library, as she walked she wondered what the issues were between Courtney and Shelly. It seems they used to be friends but was that all there was to it?

Rose entered the library and saw John with his head down in a book. He looked up and smiled at Rose, she smiled back and thought to herself that his hair looked neater. He had on a black shirt which really suited him.
'Hi.' Rose said as she walked towards him.

'Hey Rose, ' John said looking up from his book.

'What are you reading?' Rose asked.

'A book on how weather affects Pokemon,' The young man said. 'It's been quiet here today.'

'Most of us grunts have been on our missions,' Rose said. 'That book you are reading would help me though.'

John smiled and said, 'You are a keen learner Rose, Spearow bring the same book to Rose.'

'Spearow.' The small bird said as it went to fetch the book but seemed a little unsure.

Rose thought for a moment and said, 'Golbat, please help Spearow.'

'Bat, Bat.' The bat Pokemon said as she flew beside the Kanto bird and helped locate the book before bringing it to Rose.

John nodded to Rose and said, 'Please read with me Rose.' He pointed to a second chair at his desk for her to sit.

Rose went and sat with John and put her book on the desk. She took her glasses out of their case before cleaning them and putting them on. She noticed Spearow and Golbat perched on one of the chairs.

'You're very studious?' John said.

'Yes,' Rose said slightly nervously. 'I am still reading the book on Poison Pokemon, I am picking up quite a bit.' She pulled on her ponytail and opened the book.

'Rose,' John said. 'If we turn to chapter 4 on the sun.'

Rose did so and looked at John. Their eyes met for a moment before the man looked down. The two of them read intently until Cindy arrived at the library desk.

'Did you get the book I asked for?' She asked John.

John nodded and said, 'Yes, it's just by Rose, Rose can you pass Cindy the red book.'

Rose did as John asked and Cindy said, 'Thank you Rose, Sarah is doing very well with us.'

'I'm happy to hear that,' Rose said to the beautician who held the red book in both hands.

Cindy smiled at them both before leaving. Rose and John went back to reading. Rose already knew that the sun helped grass types, she was an aroma lady after all but it helped fire types too. Whilst she had no fire type of her own she was Team Magma. Once she had finished the chapter she looked at John who had already finished.

The man turned to Rose and was about to say something before his phone started to ring.
'Hmmmm, Maxie is ringing,' He said. 'If you are not doing anything tomorrow Rose how about you come here.'

'I'd like that.' Rose said smiling . She waved to John and left the library as Golbat flew beside her. She headed back to her room and heard someone on the television say 'All Aboard' as she passed the TV room.

Soon she was back in her room and quickly cleaned up with the help of Lilligant and Vileplume. Golbat stood by the mirror seemingly in thought as Koffing happily floated next to his trainer.

'Gant Gant, Gant Gant Lil.' Lilligant said to Rose.

'Yes, Lilligant, we'll probably see Courtney tomorrow.' Rose said as she changed into her pyjamas.

She sat on the edge of her bed took her hair down and brushed it as she watched her team of Pokemon. It had been an intriguing and exciting day. She was really enjoying battling with her Pokemon, they were her friends. She looked at the little 'M' logo on her pyjamas, she had friends in Team Magma too.

Koffing happily floated around his trainer and Rose gave him a hug causing the little mine Pokemon to say 'Koffing' happily as he floated up to the top of the wardrobe. Rose continued to brush her hair and watch her Pokemon. She looked at Golbat before her mind wandered to John. 'What will tomorrow bring?' Rose thought to herself.

Bay

Years
This chapter has quite a bit of fast-paced battles, huh? I noticed that most of the characters "said" whenever they command. Now I'm usually the camp of just use said 90% of the time with some exceptions. I feel though with stuff like battles you can mix up the dialogue tag on occasion like "command", "urged", and "yelled" for more excitement from the trainers. Also add in some physical emotions like hand clenching and pointing fingers, which you did on occasion.

I think the exception from above is Courtney since her personality is different in ORAS and I imagine ORAS Courtney commanding in a monotone voice. I like the mentions of her smiling and being impressed with Rose later on.

The battle with Glenn and Julia you did better with them having more personality and doing movements/hand gestures when commanding, but I would've liked more reaction from Glenn when they lost to Team Magma.

Back