• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with team in HGSS

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2016
I just got back into Pokemon with the hype surrounding the new Black and White 2. I restarted Soul Silver instead of Black because its a remake of my favorite Pokemon game. I just beat the 4th gym and it was the first tough one so far. I have a team of 6 and I would like some advice on who to keep and to get later on in the game. Thanks

Heracross Lv. 21
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Horn Attack
Shadow Claw

Scyther Lv. 14
U-turn
Focus Energy
Pursuit
False Swipe

Croconaw Lv. 25
Ice Fang
Headbutt
Water Gun
Bite

Pidgeotto Lv. 20
Tackle
Sand-Attack
Gust
Quick Attack

Flaaffy Lv. 17
Tackle
Growl
Thunder Shock
Thunder Wave

Growlithe Lv.15
Roar
Ember
Leer
Odor Sleuth

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I just got back into Pokemon with the hype surrounding the new Black and White 2. I restarted Soul Silver instead of Black because its a remake of my favorite Pokemon game. I just beat the 4th gym and it was the first tough one so far. I have a team of 6 and I would like some advice on who to keep and to get later on in the game. Thanks

Heracross Lv. 21
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Horn Attack
Shadow Claw

Scyther Lv. 14
U-turn
Focus Energy
Pursuit
False Swipe

Croconaw Lv. 25
Ice Fang
Headbutt
Water Gun
Bite

Pidgeotto Lv. 20
Tackle
Sand-Attack
Gust
Quick Attack

Flaaffy Lv. 17
Tackle
Growl
Thunder Shock
Thunder Wave

Growlithe Lv.15
Roar
Ember
Leer
Odor Sleuth

I think overall, your team is composed of really good pokemon. Scyther and Heracross are strong, speedy attackera, Flaffy for the commonly used electric advantage for the E4, Growlithe and it's excellent speed as an Arcanine (if you're planning to evolve it), Pidgeotto for a flying type edge and Croconaw for an effective powerhouse. Especially as a Feraligatr where Ice Fang and Waterfall are extremely useful.

All in all, I'd personally keep training your team, as it evolves and develops over the remainder of the game it'll turn into a group of powerful pokemon, so no need really for any changes. Anyhoo, Have fun!

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
^
same as above
and i love that you have my two favorite bug types in your team.

but personally i would drop pidgeotto soon. the remaining 5 pokemon are more than good enough to last the entire game. Dont forget to get icepunch for croconaw from goldenrod.

if want a 6th i recommend some psychic type. kadabra/alakazam, hypno or even xatu are pretty good ingame.

always try to train all your pokemon up to at least almost the same level as the gym leaders/e4.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2016
Thanks for the help, I think that I'm just gonna get rid of pidgeotto until I find a suitable 6th pokemon. Maybe the shiny Gyrados from lake of rage or lugia right before the pokemon league.

blue

gucci
Years
Overall that's a pretty nice team, especially when they're all fully evolved and a nice mix of typing. You may want to substitute Heracross or Scyther for a Grass type or any other type you may wish to include just so that you have one of each type but that's just how I like to play it through, I doubt you should have any problems with further gyms as long as you keep on level with them. You may struggle with a couple of the Elite Four members judging by your team but there's no real threat, good luck!

Back