The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Pokémon Gaming Central
Thoughts on single stage Pokemon?

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old December 16th, 2017 (2:18 PM).

Excluding legendary pokemon in this group. The majority of people I've notice prefer Pokemon that evolve. Though the single stage pokemon range in a wide variety in battle and design, I personally like most of them.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 16th, 2017 (4:33 PM).

Nature: Mild
      I don't mind them. One of my favorites to use is Spinda, and last time I played through emerald with Torkoal.
      Old December 16th, 2017 (5:35 PM).
      idol of death

Nature: Relaxed
      They are great and need more love. The only problem is the vast majority aren't great competitively. I would say half deserve evolutions and half are perfect as they are.
      Old December 16th, 2017 (7:21 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by noa View Post
        They are great and need more love. The only problem is the vast majority aren't great competitively. I would say half deserve evolutions and half are perfect as they are.
        What single stage do you think is a good example of needing an evolution?
        Old December 17th, 2017 (12:06 AM).
        Ageha

Nature: Adamant
          Most single stage pokemon are underwhelming in the late game. At the beginning they cool and powerful, but after a while they just cant carry their own weight. Of course there are some really strong one stage pokemon, but I just prefer other pokemon.
          Old December 17th, 2017 (1:36 AM).

Nature: Quirky
          Ironically some of them are some of the most creatively designed Pokémon in the game imo (Absol, Spinda, Farfetch'd, Unown, Girafarig, Ditto, Minior, Mimikiyu), but I still tend to not use them too much because they don't seem to hold up much past the early game. I have gotten some really powerful ones before though - Farfetch'd is almost always my Kanto ace, and twice have I used a powerful Absol as a sweeper. Maybe I should be trying out some of the different ones too
          Old December 22nd, 2017 (6:49 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
            What single stage do you think is a good example of needing an evolution?
            I would say Jynx. I think everyone thought she would get one after Electabuzz and Magmar did, since she got a baby form with them but who knows why they didn't do it.

I like them a lot. A lot of my favorites don't evolve like Snorlax, Lapras, Heracross and Mimikyu has become a new favorite.
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:25 AM).

bouffalant, hawlucha, girafarig, tauros, skarmory, basculin , druddigon, dhelmise are awesome imo
              relicanth, pkykumyuku, maractus, zangoose, seviper, solrock and lunatone, farfetch'd have pretty great designs too.
              (heracross and sableye are sweet, but do they count with their mega evos?)
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:03 PM).

Sigilyph, Hawlucha, and Mimikyu are some of my favorite Pokemon from their respective generations, and if you don't count mega evolutions or other forms, then Absol, Heracross, and Rotom are right up there as some of my favorites as well. I honestly don't think that all Pokemon need an evolution to be good, though there are definitely those out there (first few that come to mind are Farfetch'd, Qwilfish, and Luvdisc) that I'd never think of using just because I know they won't get any better.
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:36 PM).

Qwilfish isn't that bad, it has a nice typing and later generations intimidate which makes it decently defensive + a tolerable attack stat and a good support movepool. Definitely better than Farfetch'd and Luvdisc in battle.

Skarmory, Smeargle and Heracross are definitely my favorite single stages, Mantine was too before it got a pre-evolution.
                Old 1 Day Ago (12:17 PM).

Nature: Naive
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
                Ironically some of them are some of the most creatively designed Pokémon in the game imo (Absol, Spinda, Farfetch'd, Unown, Girafarig, Ditto, Minior, Mimikiyu), but I still tend to not use them too much because they don't seem to hold up much past the early game. I have gotten some really powerful ones before though - Farfetch'd is almost always my Kanto ace, and twice have I used a powerful Absol as a sweeper. Maybe I should be trying out some of the different ones too
                Same, basically. Many are super interesting because they have to be interesting off the bat instead of relying on evolving in order to become cool. But my Zangoose and Skarmory held their own throughout Ruby so there are definitely good unevolving pokémon too <3

Quick Reply